The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How to Train Your Dragon 2

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm surprised we don't have a topic for this yet.  Anyway, I just got back from seeing the movie.  I have to say it was all around spectacular.  It had some rather heavy emotional moments that I won't spoil, but I think it might have actually surpassed the original in terms of sheer awesomeness.  This one actually had a very nasty villain.  The characters were still great too. Thoughts?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I saw the movie last week. I thought it was really good. Some moments, I certainly wasn't expecting. I also like how it ended.

If there is one complaint I have, it's regarding the villain. He seemed a little too generic, just a stereotypical "Take over the world" kind of guy. I would have liked if they fleshed him out a little more. Perhaps show more of his backstory. The hints they do give are a bit intriguing, and if they explored that more, I think he could have made for a more well rounded villain.

But other than that, I enjoyed the movie.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am actually in love with this movie. It was absolutely beautiful, the animation was STUNNING and the environment and images it created were spectacular. It was even better than the first. I've already seen it 3 times! And I want to see it again. Like, I died. It was just an awesome movie, best I've seen in a while. I also think that I enjoyed it a bit better than Frozen. Not to mention that I am suffering from severe dragon withdrawal. I want a dragon, dragons are real and NOTHING will convince me otherwise.

Like, if you haven't seen it already, go do yourself a favor and watch it. You will not regret it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I thought the villainw as fine. It was the inclusion of the hero's mother that stuck in my craw. Seriously? I'd have been PISSED if my mom just showed up one day after leaving me behind all my life, and killing the dad was a low blow. I also felt that the movie was too preachy at times, but when it was good, it was good. At times it dragged. Nowhere near as good as the first movie.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I personally saw nothing wrong with including the mother. Should have Hiccup been angry about his mom not coming back? Well depends on personality. Not everyone is going to react to the same situation the same way. Hiccup doesn't seem like the type of character that gets overly angry that easily. I believe it also helps that he never really knew his mother, and thus did not have a personal attachment to her, so that may have played a part in why he didn't get angry.

I didn't mind the dad bit. In fact, I'm glad they put it in. I liked how they dealt with more adult problems. If the dad had survived the blast and reappeared at the end, that would have angered me. But the fact that the dad dies, stays dead, and they deal with it, yeah I like that. A mature topic, having characters deal with death like that.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw the film a week ago and rather enjoyed it.  Contrary to WierdRaptor's view, I liked that they killed off the father as the result was Hiccup maturing a little and taking up responsibility as a chief, plus it shocked me even though I sort of saw it coming.

I thought Hiccup's mother was a decent character, they could have forced her into the story and not have her appearance make any sense, yet the filmmakers were smart enough not to do that.

Agreeing with F-14 Ace, the villian was kind of a generic brute(kind of the same complaints I had about Tai Lung in the first KFP) and he certainly lacks the psychological depth of fellow Dreamworks villain Lord Shen.

But he was a decent antagonist all around, so he doesn't hurt the film that much. I liked the cinematography and the animation is what you would except from Dreamworks.

I think John Powell's soundtrack is what caught my attention the most, it is simply breathtaking, and to top it off is the piece 'Where No One Goes' that included vocals by Jonsi.

So all in all, this is probably the second best Dreamworks animated film I've seen(the first being Kung Fu Panda II) and I can't wait to see more from them.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, so I've just seen HTTYD 2 and I don't really know what to say... I think LBT is not the only thing I'm a fan of anymore... that's for sure!!!  :wow
Inactive, probably forever.