The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Tell us about - your computer!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
What are your computer specifications?  Here are mine:

4.66GHZ Processor

2,250 GB Total Hard Disk Space (three 750GB disks)

4GB RAM

DVD-RW Dual layer printable double-sided drive

Windows Vista Ultimate Edtion (I hate it)!

18 intigraded USB 2.0 ports

It also has an external 750GB hard disk for a total of 3000GB (About 3 tarabytes)

I just built this computer about 2 months ago.  It cost me about $4,000 to build!  Now it would probably cost about $3,400 to build.  It's amazing how fast computers are loosing value.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
._.' I feel so weak all of a sudden…

2.0 GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core Processor

1GB RAM

160 GB Hard Drive

16x DVD+/-RW Drive

NVidia GeForce 7300 LE

Windows XP Media Center Edition

I'll build my own eventually, but first, I gotta get a job :\

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
._.' I feel so weak all of a sudden…
I agree; landbeforetimelover just showed me up pretty good, too. :p

Main (desktop) system:
I have been steadily upgrading this for the last couple of years.  I plan to build a new system in the near future.

Processor: Pentium 4: 3.00 GHz
RAM: 3GB DDR PC3200
Hard drive 1: 300 GB 7200 RPM (Maxtor)
Hard drive 2: 80 GB 7200 RPM (Western Digital)
Video card: ATi Radeon x1650 Pro (256 MB)
Sound card 1: Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Sound card 2: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
CD/DVD Burner
Operating System: Windows XP Pro
Not enough USB ports :lol
10/100/1000 Mb/s ethernet (no wireless)

My laptop:
I bought this in December.

Make/Model: HP Pavilion dv6000 series
Processor: AMD Turon x2 (1.88 GHz x 2)
RAM: 2GB DDR2
Hard drive: 120 GB 5400 RPM (Seagate)
Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6100 GO
CD/DVD Burner with lightscribe
Sound card 1: Sound Blaster Live external (usb)
Sound card 2: Some onboard thing
Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Edition
3 USB
1 firewire
wireless b/g ethernet

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
4.66GHZ Processor

4GB RAM

It also has an external 750GB hard disk for a total of 3000GB (About 3 tarabytes)
Now THAT'S what I call hard-core overkill! :wow

I won't bother posting mine, sucks pretty bad and I'm not even sure what half of the stuff I have is.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Apr 30 2007 on  02:38 PM
4.66GHZ Processor

4GB RAM

Now THAT'S what I call hard-core overkill! :wow

I won't bother posting mine, sucks pretty bad and I'm not even sure what half of the stuff I have is.
lol bet its not as bad as the one i do web email and even 3d max on.
400 mhz dell laptop
128 megs ram
4 gig hd
video um whats that (at most 2 or 4 meg)

Main computer
1.2 ghz amd tbird
256 meg pc133 ram
160 gig total hd space
128 meg ati 9000 pro
sound on board
ecs mother board Has 8 usb 4 v1 4 v2

On a computer like his my god what i could do with 3ds  max.

That many usb ports kind of useless though for most part. I could prob tie up about 6 to 8 maybe. Really of corse what he really has is pro 10 with a couple built in usb hubs. Not that thats a bad thing nice powered internal usb hub = really good thing to have. Simply put unlike external hubs where you need to use a stinking adapter for things like cameras or web cams mice etc you can simply use a usb extension cable.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
landbeforetimelover, I just can't help but wonder what you need such a burly computer and 3TB of hard drive space for. :P:  That processor is either a dual- or quad-core, right?

Those of us who have seen my music work understand why I need 3 GB of RAM and 2 sound cards.  Do you have a story for us? :lol:  B)

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lucky!  I could install my flight simulator on that thing 1000 times easy!  Flight Simulator practically needs a military super computer to run properly.  It barely functions on my computer.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Apr 30 2007 on  04:23 PM
landbeforetimelover, I just can't help but wonder what you need such a burly computer and 3TB of hard drive space for. :P:  That processor is either a dual- or quad-core, right?

Those of us who have seen my music work understand why I need 3 GB of RAM and 2 sound cards.  Do you have a story for us? :lol:  B)
People use to say the same about my 160 gigs of hd space little over 3 years ago. Now you have a hard time finding smaller than 100 gig hds lol

And heres what it really comes down to
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148134
750 gig for 250. When i got my 80 gig i paid 150 with my 60 gig i paid 179 my 20 gig well 199.

So in the end he paid 222 usd more than i did for his 3x 750 gig hds than i did for 160 gig.

If i was building a computer right this minute i would go with 3x 750 gig hds as well and no less than 4 gigs ram and fastest cpu i could lay my hands on along with a 512 meg vid card. Pretty much id build same system he did give or take. at 4 grand though sounds like he went with alienware

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry.  No grand story behind my computer.  I just had a few thousand spare dollars lying around and decided to spend it (NOT!).  Actually I have been building computers since I was 6 and I decided it was time to build a new one.  I had about $4000 dollars that I got in a couple of weeks and instead of investing it, I decided that I deserved a new computer.  I just wanted one that wouldn't go obsolete for a decade or two (Although that's an unrealistice expectation no matter how much money you spend).

By the way,  I do not expect hard drives to go above the capacity of 1000GB anytime soon.  They just introduced the perpindicular drive recording system to get it up to 1000GB.  They will most certainly have to make the hard drives bigger in order to allow them to store more data than 1000GB.  The bits just have nowhere else to go!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I can't see anyone using 3TB (really I don't unless you're saving all of your TV shows on DVD to hard drive or something).  Wicked machine though.  ;)

Dell Inspiron E1505

2ghz, 2gb of ram, Core-Duo.  80gb hard drive, 250gb SimpleTech external, Creative Live 24-bit USB external sound card (internals suck in laptops), HP Deskjet 840C (can't afford colored ink).

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 30 2007 on  06:18 PM
Sorry.  No grand story behind my computer.  I just had a few thousand spare dollars lying around and decided to spend it (NOT!).  Actually I have been building computers since I was 6 and I decided it was time to build a new one.  I had about $4000 dollars that I got in a couple of weeks and instead of investing it, I decided that I deserved a new computer.  I just wanted one that wouldn't go obsolete for a decade or two (Although that's an unrealistice expectation no matter how much money you spend).

By the way,  I do not expect hard drives to go above the capacity of 1000GB anytime soon.  They just introduced the perpindicular drive recording system to get it up to 1000GB.  They will most certainly have to make the hard drives bigger in order to allow them to store more data than 1000GB.  The bits just have nowhere else to go!
Well some one knows their stuff heheh. Your right density of the platers vs the accuracy of the read write heads is just not there at the moment. About the time it is possible some new media will be avail. Likely in the form of data cube read write delete optical storage.

Now remember they said that ide could not go above 7200 rpm but infact it was possible. Now thing is there was no point in releasing the drives as sata was cheaper to make and faster tfer rates.

So while they could up the density of the media and the accuracy of the heads by the time they can there won't be a point. We are now getting to the point where they will concentrate on data tfer rates and rpms of newer sata pata etc hds. I think we will see a intermitant step of solid state hds prior to optical data cube storage (btw optical data cubes use the same write read delete meathods as dvd and blue ray etc).

At this point they will hit a bottle neck when it comes to getting the data in to memory and on to cpu for proccessing. Then we will see a masive increase in both cpu speed instructions per clock tick etc fsb speeds of say 8x todays 8ghz cpu with 8ghz fsb (yummy 1x multiplier woot) ram speed will catch up for most part hitting 2.5 to 3ghz speed range.

Computer development over all is a series of botttle necking and getting past the bottle necks.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Believe it or not, Just all of the lbt sequals and tv shows take up 600GB.  I have them in all known formats in the world - video now, ipod, cell phone, zune, mpg1, mpg2, avi, avi27, 3gp2, jpegftm, pxy, rxt, gpsnav vid, gvf (I cant remember any of the rest off the top of my head.  I can literly play an lbt video on any device with video playback capability.  I am a major video editing,anhancing, encoding, transcoding freak.  It's one of my hobbies.  I have only 20GB free on my 3000GB computer.  I also own about 150 other computers.  I would say that I have the capability to hold about maybe 60,000GB on all of my computers.  I have used nearly 42,000GB already!

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a dell.  Not much processing power(as i've had many games installed and uninstalled.) It still is good though. The computers at my school execpt the new laptops we just got have sonicwall. We used to not be able to get on to youtube because of the sonicwalls. With the laptops we can get on it now! Enough about my school computers. Actully A friend of my mom's updated it from it's old self a while ago.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 30 2007 on  10:31 PM
Believe it or not, Just all of the lbt sequals and tv shows take up 600GB.  I have them in all known formats in the world - video now, ipod, cell phone, zune, mpg1, mpg2, avi, avi27, 3gp2, jpegftm, pxy, rxt, gpsnav vid, gvf (I cant remember any of the rest off the top of my head.  I can literly play an lbt video on any device with video playback capability.  I am a major video editing,anhancing, encoding, transcoding freak.  It's one of my hobbies.  I have only 20GB free on my 3000GB computer.  I also own about 150 other computers.  I would say that I have the capability to hold about maybe 60,000GB on all of my computers.  I have used nearly 42,000GB already!
lol you should see my basement well seen it back bout 3 years ago. I had one entire section stacked with computers and comp hard ware. Mostly no hds etc so i just pulled the mobos broke the platic bits off and scrapped the old cases. Got over $350 total in scrap metal from them lol

Its scarry what doing this stuff for 10 years or more can do to your bank account and your basement atics and every other bit of extra space you have.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really have to worry about financial difficulties yet.  I'm only fifteen.  My computer repair buisness generates tons of income and I have very little expenses.  I probably have to spend maybe $30 a month.  All the rest is pure profit (This makes me not want to grow up and move out of the house)!

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Apr 30 2007 on  10:44 PM
I don't really have to worry about financial difficulties yet.  I'm only fifteen.  My computer repair buisness generates tons of income and I have very little expenses.  I probably have to spend maybe $30 a month.  All the rest is pure profit (This makes me not want to grow up and move out of the house)!
yeh i know back in mid 90s i was building repairing and upgradeing comps made about 300 a week (could have made 3 or 4 times that easly just didnt want or need to). Then i ran out of buissness. Simply put every one in a fairly large area already had computers  and took them to shop where they got them for repairs etc so my little buiss went down the tubes.

Guess i should have gave up alot of the free time i had and done more comps etc id prob still be doing it today.

At your age makeing a fairly large chunk of change you should be banking a large portion of it. That way the secound you turn 18 and graduate you can start the buiss officially under your own name. That or use for college or tech school then open the buiss full time. Dont make a silly stupid mistake like i did plan aahead done just ride the wave so to speak.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Computers sometimes they work sometime they don't. (Oh I almost told one of my friends that I like lbt during my school's retreat.)(He brought his PBC piping swords and we went at it during the retreat.We both had a lot of fun. We took the  route that had a view of the water while walking back to the autoruim of the old base where the retreat was.) sorry for going off topic.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh.  I hardly ever spend money.  I invest over 99% of it.  I don't feel comfortable saying how much I have but let's just say that it's enough to send me through collage a dozen times and buy a pretty good sized house.  Of course most of it is inaccessale to me until I'm 18 (My mom's reommendation)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile