The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

This sucks so bad!!!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
God.  My school has decided to make it a closed campus.  This really sucks because I cannot access this site through the school's network cuz it's blocked.  To get past this, I simply walk about 20 feet off campus to get a wifi signal from some nearby houses where his site is not blocked.  If they make this a closed campus, I will be unable to access this site during school ours.  I am building a special satellite dish that will extend my wifi from 700ft to up to 3500ft.  This should allow me to still connect to this site during school hours but it will probably take at least two weeks to build and cost about $15 if I do it correctly.  Is your school a closed campus?  How do you feel about it?

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,May 4 2007 on  12:56 AM
God.  My school has decided to make it a closed campus.  This really sucks because I cannot access this site through the school's network cuz it's blocked.  To get past this, I simply walk about 20 feet off campus to get a wifi signal from some nearby houses where his site is not blocked.  If they make this a closed campus, I will be unable to access this site during school ours.  I am building a special satellite dish that will extend my wifi from 700ft to up to 3500ft.  This should allow me to still connect to this site during school hours but it will probably take at least two weeks to build and cost about $15 if I do it correctly.  Is your school a closed campus?  How do you feel about it?
Why not make a cantenna same range more or less and smaller. For a sat type dish deal youll need a dish about 1 foot diam give or take. Dont think youll hits 3500 though regardless. Parker vision cards have 1 mile line of site when used with a parker vision AP so typically about 3/4 mile range.

Thankfully no more school for me but heh your lucky to have any access to net here in good old missrable ohio in any thing but college and their networks stink. Typically single t1 for a entire campus (t1 is good for about 200 usrers for them to each get say 128KB downloads but when your talking a 1000+ your getting more like 128K connection isdn and lots of drop outs and page load stalls etc. But heres a challenge for you set up a point to point with some one and break this distance.

10 miles. Ill tell you what it took for the person i know who did it. It took 2 10 foot satalite dishes one per end on the point to point the dishes were placed in 100 foot tall trees right up at the top and aimed by gps :)

From what he said the connection was pretty bad maybe half a meg on the ad hoc network

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Some schools I've taught in don't allow people to run portable versions of applications on flash drives (and sometimes using those can get around the blocks).    Some schools have no restrictions.  I frankly don't care.  You're supposed to be doing work at school anyway.  I just wait till I get home if I find a site I regularly visit is blocked.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My school does have blocks up, so some of the sites will work, and some will not. However it is understandable they have the blocks up. Some students do go to nasty sites, they did here anyway and that's when they set up the blocks. And to top it off, they have SyncronEyez programed into the computers so that they can watch everything you do on the computer to make sure you are not goofing off. And if they catch you, they can lock up that computer and you are kicked out of the school library.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
Well this happened to college computers as well but they do have a point that we can't augrue back at and thats people that go to school or college is there to learn and not use the computer systems for personal fun when we want to. I guess they thinking for the great whole and have to do something that will get kids focused on work again that what happened to me dozens of times. kids played on websites then doing work so the site is blocked and this fourm is not part of the school work so they'd most likely tracked this website and then blocked it.

novaflare

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 4 2007 on  08:41 PM
My school does have blocks up, so some of the sites will work, and some will not. However it is understandable they have the blocks up. Some students do go to nasty sites, they did here anyway and that's when they set up the blocks. And to top it off, they have SyncronEyez programed into the computers so that they can watch everything you do on the computer to make sure you are not goofing off. And if they catch you, they can lock up that computer and you are kicked out of the school library.
Some restrictions they place are going beyond protecting their computers and hardware. Forums are ripe with med school students not being able to search the key words breast cancer because it has the word breast in it. This is the fault of the admins who do not understand how to use whitelists along with black lists. I can easly for example deny searches for the word "breasts" used in conjuction with any thing but disease cancer pre cancer etc. There are boat loads of examples i could post that are school work research related.

Then theres the fact they can restrict to school only work except during lucnh for example. Admins need to stop being lazy and admin their networks. I do how ever agree that during class hours etc yeh you should not be browesing non school etc related content.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I usually complete all of the required work in a 45 minute period in 10 minutes so I just have to sit there and do nothing for most of the time in school.  I am allowed to go onto the laptop but the internet is really boring.  All I can do is read mail or other boring things (though it's nice to get mail fron thegangoffive).   I use the internet mainly for going onto public forums and all of the forums I go on like techtalk and here are blocked.  There is a program that will allow me to bypass the schools wifi restrictions but I don't think that's right.  According to my admin, forum sites really clog up the server.  I don't want other people to not be able to get their school work done cuz I was screwing around on forums.  That's why I have to build the wifi extender - so I don't have to connect to the schools wifi and can access restricted sites without harming anyone.  Is there any other way?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I don't know...why don't you just do it my way?  Wait till you get home. ;)  If you're bored in class and complete everything in 25% of the time offered, talk to the teacher and see what else you can do.  I'm sure they can find something substantial related to the course.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Start drawing LBT characters :P:
It's what I'm doing when lectures are not enough to keep you busy.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, My school only allows up to 3% extra credit and I have attained that amount in every class.  I can't draw very well either and I would just die of embarrassment if another student saw me drawing LBT even if it were good.  It being horrible would be even worse.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sadly, most of the good sites at my school are blocked. Some sites the teachers needed which, needless to say, ticked some off. But the schools allow students to e-mail each other, and it gets annoying when your having fun, and some idiot pesters you to check their e-mail. Plus, it seems horrible grammar is cool nowadays.

I would just die of embarrassment if another student saw me drawing LBT even if it were good

Same here. I already had a cruel nickname a few years back from last time (Ironically, it was land before time lover, but it was used to degrade and humilate me).