The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Petrie VA

chomperrules1993

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
If this poll or topic was already made, I apologize. Anyways Jeff Bennett is my answer  :)
Life Is Good

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
Jeff Bennett is also my favorite Petrie voice actor.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's the thing.  I've heard Jeff Bennett do it for SO long, that I really can't imagine anyone else doing it.  Even going back to the first movie, Will Ryan just sounds a tiny bit alien to me when I hear Petrie's voice.

So yeah!  It's not who's best, but whom I'm too used to in the end.  I just have to pick Jeff Bennett for that reason.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Jeff Bennett's been at it for so long that I'm just used to him. But, Will Ryan does put up a pretty good performance. If you compare the two, though, they sound really different. I prefer Bennett, in any case.

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Jeff Bennet did a PERFECT Will Ryan impression in 2 and 4. Why was it permanently changed to the screechy voice in 3??   :confused

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Both are equally good voices for him :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Hmm bit of a tricky one as both voices are fitting and sound very similar...

I think I'd have to go with Jeff Bennett as he's done the role much longer and I grew up with his role as Petrie more. Though I do like the way he did the voice in the earlier squeals. And he's been in every single sequel and the TV show. And I'm real glad they have rehired him for the 14th film.

Will Ryan did a great job too. I guess one tiny bit of criticism I have with his role as Petrie, is that he made Petrie sound little too melodramatic to me. Heck they way he screams for help when he falls in the tar bit freaked be out soo much as a kid that I always muted the sound when ever I watched the film.  And sometimes he'd talks soo fast that as a kid I could tell what he was saying. Still I really like the silly sounds he makes while picking the leafs off the tree in the getting green food scene.
Also I think Petrie's grammar isn't as silly in the 1st film then in the sequel's..

I've also noticed that for both voices, a lot of voice clips of their grunts and yelps etc. are re-used.

Anyway I voted  Jeff Bennett

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
A tough decision to make, but despite the fact that both of them are great voice actors, ultimately Jeff Bennett wins my heart.

While Will Ryan does a great job as Petrie in the first movie, I would have to agree with a few of the users by saying that Mr. Bennett is the voice that I am more used to. Sure, he uses pretty much the same voice that Ryan uses in the first few sequels (the quality of which I very much liked). I'm guessing the dialogue for the first three sequels were recorded at almost the same time, and they appear to have recorded dialogue for movie 3 last, because I noticed that sometimes Petrie would sound deeper like movies 2 and 4, and other times he would sound high and squeaky like he would in the rest of the sequels. I suppose the people working there at the time must've said, "Nah, we're getting sick of that voice; it sounds too old for a character who is much younger. Try making him sound younger for a change, sir."

As we can all see, that's exactly what he did, which in my honest opinion made Petrie all the more adorable throughout the sequels, despite his "issues". I, quite frankly, love his more squeakier voice (and cute laugh) over his deeper voice. I'm also very happy to see Mr. Bennett is returning for the upcoming movie.  :D

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

*fingers crossed hopelessly that the people working there now will decide to rerail Petrie's voice for movie 14*

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Let's remember Will Ryan only got one shot at voicing the character, and that one shot happened to be the way he was introduced to us.  When I think of Will Ryan's Petrie voice, I see it as more nasal and deeper than anything Jeff Bennett gave us.  While I'm sure this is no reflection on Jeff's abilities, and more likely a directorial choice, the one I heard first and am most familiar with is Will Ryan's.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Anonymous Person,Feb 10 2015 on  07:48 PM
A tough decision to make, but despite the fact that both of them are great voice actors, ultimately Jeff Bennett wins my heart.

While Will Ryan does a great job as Petrie in the first movie, I would have to agree with a few of the users by saying that Mr. Bennett is the voice that I am more used to. Sure, he uses pretty much the same voice that Ryan uses in the first few sequels (the quality of which I very much liked). I'm guessing the dialogue for the first three sequels were recorded at almost the same time, and they appear to have recorded dialogue for movie 3 last, because I noticed that sometimes Petrie would sound deeper like movies 2 and 4, and other times he would sound high and squeaky like he would in the rest of the sequels. I suppose the people working there at the time must've said, "Nah, we're getting sick of that voice; it sounds too old for a character who is much younger. Try making him sound younger for a change, sir."

As we can all see, that's exactly what he did, which in my honest opinion made Petrie all the more adorable throughout the sequels, despite his "issues". I, quite frankly, love his more squeakier voice (and cute laugh) over his deeper voice. I'm also very happy to see Mr. Bennett is returning for the upcoming movie.  :D
Here's the problem, though.

While Petrie's voice does sound higher post movie 4, it doesn't sound younger. What you basically hear is a nasally sounding adult on helium, and it only makes the initial problems with his voice worse.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

1. Really?
2. Please tell me you're joking!

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile

I'm sorry, but the story you theorized just makes me so damn frustrated. I mean,  where did you get it from?? And why would they be tired of a perfectly good voice?? And why would they call Bennett "sir"? And why didn't you consider that some people love Petrie's voice of movies 1-4?? (Btw, what is this about his voice not sounding deep in 3 due to recording timing?? :confused  :confused

I'm sorry, im just VERY frustrated with things in my life right now and no one responded.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
I'm gonna try to be as polite as I can with this response...

I'm sorry, but the story you theorized just makes me so damn frustrated. I mean, where did you get it from??

My own head. I don't know if any of this actually happened, because to get the correct answer, I'd have to be an employee at Universal. Sadly, this is not the case. I don't know why you're still so bothered by it.

And why would they be tired of a perfectly good voice??

I have no idea if it was them or not who may have specifically said they were "tired" of it; it might've been Bennett himself, for all I care. Maybe he just wanted to experiment further with the voice or something. Again, this is only a theory that I wrote over a year ago, so who knows what might've actually happened.

And why would they call Bennett "sir"?

Umm...because the staff considered him the king of perfecting a role?  :confused  For all I know, the kid who played Littlefoot could've been called "Your Majesty" or something!  :rolleyes:

And why didn't you consider that some people love Petrie's voice of movies 1-4??

Um, excuse me? I am very much aware of the fact that a lot may prefer the original voice over the newer one; in fact, my friend Jrd89 said a while back that that's the Petrie that he prefers. I'd actually watched some of the LBT films years back (including the first one), but I'd totally forgotten about him until I was re-introduced, so I'm not even sure which one I heard first. That said, I like that voice too (it was the Petrie I was re-introduced to); however, it is simply a matter of preference over what I like better.  And who knows? Maybe it'll change within the next year or so or even further down the road. With that being said, it is simply an opinion that I am entitled to. You are also entitled to your own opinion, just like everyone else, so I have no idea why you're the one to judge mine.

Btw, what is this about his voice not sounding deep in 3 due to recording timing??

I'll sum all of what I noticed up in a nutshell for the first few sequels regarding his voice.

LBT 2: Same or very similar qualities as Will Ryan throughout.
LBT 3: You have to pay close attention if you want to get analytical here. Some of his lines were spoken using the same voice as used in LBT II ("Sorry! Me no know my own strength.") while others ("What that? It sound like monster!") were spoken using his higher, squeakier voice he obtains now. Both appear on and off throughtout
LBT 4: See LBT 2.

In addition, I actually noticed in LBT 3 that the other kids doing the rest of the gang appeared to be getting a bit older, as I can tell by their voices in that one. This is not apparent in LBT 4, hence my theory that LBT 2 and 4 were recorded first (maybe at the same time even) before LBT 3. I believe I read in a source once that all three of them were being simultaneously produced at the time, and with all reasons given, I believe that LBT 3 was the last of the trio recorded.

Hopefully I summed everything up.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Will Ryan did a way better Petrie. Sad he was only used for one movie.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Jeff Bennett for me. I'm way too used to him to say otherwise.