The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Song Project: Things Change

action9000 · 255 · 19440

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, but I think that your recording also has to be voice only -- no music playing. Basically, you listen to the music as you are recording your voice, which basically necessitates headphones.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Basically, you listen to the music as you are recording your voice, which basically necessitates headphones.
Yes, this is strongly preferred.  You don't *need* headphones but please keep the music as quiet as possible in the recording.  I prefer there not to be any music in your voice recording but I can work around a tiny bit.  The louder the music is in your voice recording, the more problems I'll have with fitting it into our project (sound waves going out of phase and other nasty things  ;)  )

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Teresa,Sep 16 2007 on  04:07 PM
so let me make sure i've got this right. You send whoever is interested the music and we just sing the song right ? The only way i can record my singing is using my mum's camera with the voice recorded on. That would be ok wouldn't it ?  :unsure:
Camera mics are often very low quality and downsampled.  That wouldn't be recommended.

Safty, I'll pass your recording onto Tim.  That was beatiful and you did it nicely.  The only thing is you might have to redo it if Tim's rendition has a different tempo or pitch....its still in the early stages.  I'll hold onto a copy of it regardless.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm going to jump to a conclusion and assume that for some reason, Saftycera PMed Petrie the recording, because I never noticed it posted. Am I missing something? :blink:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
It was emailed to me.

I don't want people to start jumping the gun and emailing recordings.  We do not have the instrumental version finished and until it is, there's a chance you'd all have to redo all the recordings again due to pitch or tempo changes.  Anyone who has participated in past projects know that the songs do not align and they're not meant to.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Technically I *could* make my music align perfectly with the original but that's more math than I'm willing to take on :p

Thanks Petrie.  I have the (very impressive! :yes ) recording but it will probably be of little use unless my version happens to be Exactly the right tempo.  Pitch will be fine; I make a conscious effort to keep my version in the same key as the original.  If my calculated tempo is off by any more than a couple hundredths of a BPM of the original though, it won't work...odds are, I'm not *perfect* on the BPM.

Teresa

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Sep 16 2007 on  08:16 PM
Quote from: Teresa,Sep 16 2007 on  04:07 PM
so let me make sure i've got this right. You send whoever is interested the music and we just sing the song right ? The only way i can record my singing is using my mum's camera with the voice recorded on. That would be ok wouldn't it ? :unsure:
Camera mics are often very low quality and downsampled.  That wouldn't be recommended.
Well that's me out. well it don't matter cos my singing is awful anyway.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Right now, the only thing I have to record real-world audio onto a PC is a microphone attached to the top of my laptop. Will that work alright?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I"m willing to use recordings from any kind of microphone.  Just remember that the sound quality of the final song will be highly dependant on the quality of the recordings I am sent.  If you want to participate, I no have intention of stopping anyone just because they don't have a super-expensive microphone. B)

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Sep 17 2007 on  12:53 PM
I"m willing to use recordings from any kind of microphone.  Just remember that the sound quality of the final song will be highly dependant on the quality of the recordings I am sent.  If you want to participate, I no have intention of stopping anyone just because they don't have a super-expensive microphone. B)

And I am so thankful for that because I bought my mic for 5.00 off Amazon.  :lol: What can I say I'm a cheapskate? ;)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I bought me only for this project a headset over 40 dollar :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Sep 21 2007 on  07:09 PM
I bought me only for this project a headset over 40 dollar :^.^:
Whoa, mama!

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Sep 21 2007 on  07:12 PM
Whoa, mama!
 :DD  :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Attn project members:

I will have an mp3 for everyone to sing to posted up here either tomorrow or the next day (depending what happens tonight).

I just have one little request of every singer: Could you send your recordings to Adam (Petrie) at
araychel@gmail.com

Thanks to everyone for your patience. :)
I will be sure to have the final version of the song available much more quickly if at all possible.

I am not setting a deadline for recordings yet; I'll see how the progress on that goes.  

I'll post back within a day or two with the mp3. B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Just a note for those sending me recordings, send me multiple takes because I will be analyzing the tracks and I will choose whichever one works the best with the file Tim has given me, and then give that to him for the final mix.  This is to help take the some of the load of the project off of Tim while he's applying for new jobs.

Also, anyone who has previously sent me tracks will have to redo their recordings to match the file Tim will put up in a couple of days.  I did say there was a chance they wouldn't match up, and now I'm telling you they definitely won't.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That means you want us, that we are recording our voice to the song different times and send these recordings to you?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Mu-multiple takes? I'm going to have a time uploading files....

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Mu-multiple takes? I'm going to have a time uploading files....
You can always compress to 192 kbps mp3.  This will reduce the filesize by a Huge margin from .wav.  I'm perfectly fine with working with mp3 recordings, so long as they're 192kbps, 44.1 kHz or higher quality. B)