The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 14

kjeldo · 358 · 31255

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There may be a 14, maybe in 1-3 years roughly.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think I saw something on Wikipedia affirming that, but you can't be quite sure.
Alas Wikipedia has always been very unreliable if it comes to information about LBT.
Are you kidding? I had my doubts earlier too, but Universal is really pushing LBT now. They're coming out with plushies and toys at walmart and they're airing the tv episodes again. I think it's far from dead.
I wish I could agree and share your optimism. However, the recent release of LBT stuff need not mean there will be another episode. I really hope it does, but it could also mean the last milking of the cow after some attention was brought to it through the TV series.
I really wish LBT was continued (in a way better than what we have seen in the last years), but looking at what Aria's mother said perspectives seem to be rather gloomy :(
There may be a 14, maybe in 1-3 years roughly.
Perhaps so. This is the straw we must cling to. There was a break after the release of LBT 6 which seemed to suggest LBT 6 as the last one. Back then however we didn't have any of the discouraging information we've got this time.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: arrogantrex,Jan 24 2008 on  10:19 PM
I think I saw something on Wikipedia affirming that, but you can't be quite sure.
The only thing on Wikipedia now is a redlink (which is a link to a non-existant page) linking to Land Before Time 14, with a "To Be Announced" tacked on the end. Unless what you saw was deleted, that's not really enough to enure a sequel.

However, I think there will be a sequel, and many more. One of the things I find fascinating about Land Before Time is the fact that it has absolutely nothing that could end the series on it's own:

--Since it is animated, there are no actors to leave the studio, and therefore no chance at losing the main characters.

--Since no character has maintained the same voice actor throughout, this means that a character will never have to be retired because their voice actor does.

--There are obviously no legal rights involved, since the original creators allowed others to produce sequels.

--There is a massive fan base, ranging from very young children to college students to adults. It is unlikely that all these age groups will give the series up anytime soon.

These factors give the LBT franchie a potential unlimited expiration date, and I see nothing that might bring it down to it's knees any time soon.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
--Since no character has maintained the same voice actor throughout, this means that a character will never have to be retired because their voice actor does.

Technically, only one really has had the same voice...and that would be Grandpa Longneck when he gained speaking roles in the second sequel or about 1994.  Petrie would apply in this situation as well having the same actor since 1994.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Oh, yeah. Still, I think it would be rather easy for them to find a new voice actor, if need be. They've been able to do it or other characters.

All the talk of ending LBT for good started scaring me, since there seemed to be so many good reasons given for why it may happen. But, after reviewing the last four pages of dscussion, I've dcided that there really is no reason to be as nervous of a potential shut down as some people are.

Here are the 3 main reasons I've seen to justify a potential end to the series.

1) The mention of the phrase "Land Before Time" at the end of LBT13 sounded like it was placed there as a series closer.

True (kinda), but other than that nothing has been shown anywhere else to suggest that. No websites, Land Before Time, Universal Studios, or otherwise related, have said anything suggesting the series is on it's last leg. Never once has anything called LBT 13 "The last adventure" or "a thrilling conclusion." It's always been referred to as "the latest sequel," or "another wonderful adventure."

2)The newest group running Land Before Time wants to drop it and other 2007cruft and start brand-new series, due to potential money accruement, and possibly the "Founder Effect."

While it is true that people want to be the starter of something new, it's also true that starting off with a giant fan base is important as well, and much more potentially profitable. Actively attempting to destroy a fan base is bad marketing, as well as bad publicity if word get out (we've already seen one user here decide to boycott Universal Studios just from hearing that they plan to do this).

Also, this isn't the first time LBT has changed hands. Bluth, Lucas, and Spielburg controlled LBT at it's genesis, Roy Allen Smith took it over for the next 3 movies, and Grosvenor has had it for the next 8 movies. This is just another passing of the baton, one which hopefully will yield a new take on the LBT universe.

3)A new release of Land Before Time toys and other accessories is an attempt to squeeze as much money as possible from a dying series.

This logic would be much more appropriate for the release of a brand new stand-alone movie, which was popular when it was relaeased, but the producers, knowing it would fall into obscurity soon, cranked out loads of toys, t-shirts, and other spinoff stuff. It is unlikely that they would do this for a long-running and stable series.

Also, even if somehow the franchise is cancelled, that doesn't mean it will never be revived. Due to the reasons I stated two posts ago, this series would be one of the easiest to restore that I've ever seen. Not that I think it'll get to that point any time soon.

(Also, on a completely unrelated topic, this is the post that'll make me a junior!   :birthday )

Dash The Longneck

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Jan 30 2008 on  08:08 PM

Technically, only one really has had the same voice...and that would be Grandpa Longneck when he gained speaking roles in the second sequel or about 1994.  Petrie would apply in this situation as well having the same actor since 1994.
Wouldn't Ducky and Cera cera count too? I'm pretty sure ever since LBT 2 these 2 have been the same voice actressess as well.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
They did not. From the original movie to LBT 4 Cera was voiced by Candace Hutson since LBT 5 by Anndi McAffee (I'm not a hundred percent, but quite sure about LBT 11 to 12, I don't know about LBT 13).
In case of Ducky, she was voiced by Heather Hogan up to LBT 4 and by Aria Noelle Curzon ever since.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Feb 17 2008 on  12:14 PM
since LBT 5 by Anndi McAffee (I'm not a hundred percent, but quite sure about LBT 11 to 12, I don't know about LBT 13)

to support your guess, Anndi McAffee did indeed voice Cera for LBT 11, 12, and 13. i honestly think she does a much better job as Cera than the other actress.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Don't forget about Rob Paulsen playing Spike since LBT 2.  He even showed off his voicing talent on SEVERAL occasions.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He's been doing Spike since 2? That is a long time.  Is he the longest one who's been doing the same character on LBT?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I thiink the payse betwen sequels may be a good thing. the series bombed to be frank, and so far the revirews for LBT 13 have not been great. if they could have the next onne directed towards an audience composing of more than just younger kids, they would likely see interest in Lbt climb up.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is often how hollywood thinks, oh they have lost interest.  Instead of thinking, we need to get good writers to work on this and write it for all ages, kids, adults, teens, ect.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Bringing Ali back would be one such case. if handled correctly, it could be a a story that really brings Lbt back towards its roots. The first movies didn't mince words, neither should a well-written sequel. the unfortunate problem is, the recent sequels have all been geared towards klittle kids. That's understanable, but it neglects those older fans who grew up with the original and still hold an affinity for LBT.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, if you do not write for those, your success will be limited or doomed.  One must write for long time fans and new fans.   As well as varying age groups.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The last of those sequels imo Kor was LBT 5. Since LBt 6, with rare exception, we've seen the series become kiddified. Harmless sharptteeth, to use just one big example. Lbt 10 was a big contradiction to LBT 1, since it bbrought in Littlefoot's father. I could haave tolerated it more, had he been brought in much earlier and in a way that wasn't so.. stretched..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True.  For 10 I treat it as occuring on another earth, though I do that with quite a few of the movies.  LBt earth 1, 2, ect.  To me Bron may not exist on lbt earth 1, just like Ali may not exist on lbt earth 2, since it seems she never got the dream Littlefoot did.

I now most will say they all fit onto 1 earth, but I prefer to do them as being on 2 or more earths.  If you don't like the way I do things tough.   I do a lot of things that way.  Perhaps off topic but it is one of the multiple reasons I'll never gm here.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ali was raidsed near the Great Valley, she was far more familar with it then Littlefoot or his herd was.. there's some plot holes in there, but nothing that can'e be explained in another story.. Which We're still waiting for that, one episode in the Tv series nonwithstanding. Ali was an attempt imo, at a 'love interest' for littlefoot, a fairly successful attempt, because we're still discussing her and she was voted as the 6th favorite character of all time by forum members here.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Odd that she didn't return for another movie like Chomper did.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, I'm suprised they didn't bring her back, at theend of LBT 4 they did say Littlefoot and his friebnnds would meert Ali again some day..'that 'some day' has not come in 12 years...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Well, the longer some event being prepared, the more special it will be. :)
P.S. Something definitely wrong with the previous phrase. :rolleyes: