The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Linux Discussion

Kor · 13 · 1286

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have no knowledge of Linux myself but though some here may have varying amounts of knowledge about it and others may have questions about it, even if only to satisfy their curiosity.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Tried it...too many bad drivers or faults that I can't live with.  My laptop computer is Windows based, therefore has hardware that probably has no Linux-made drivers for it.  I'd have to build from scratch if I really wanted Linux.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Linux isn't bad at all anymore.  Just don't try to install it on a computer more than 7 years old now and you'll be fine.  Linux has better drivers than vista at the moment. :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It does?  Do the drivers work for certain types of linux better then others, or does each type have it's own set of drivers?   Is Linux as cpu intensive as windows (I assume) is?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
You mean CPU intensive?  Its less so from what I can tell.  There are actually distros out there which allow the OS to be loaded into memory if you've enough RAM, thus you really don't have to call on the harddrive.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Is that the live cd things I've heard about?  I wonder how much you can do with that as opposed to having it installed on a hard drive, since for one how can you install drivers in a live cd.  I've heard Linux is very bad when it comes to finding drivers for stuff.  though that the software is less expensive and more efficient at using computer resources.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah, I've tried those.  Linux is really fast then. :p  They do work to a point, but I need my soundcard and the audio programs I can get won't work with it. :(

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Linux isn't for most people, however if you can use it, you should.  As for running linux only on the live CD, I wouldn't recommend it.  You'd have to store files on your HD anyways and it's not so nice to your CD drive to leave it running all the time.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess it would be about the same as watching one dvd after the other for hours and days at a time.  If I were to get a live cd it would only be to try out that linux for a while, though I don't have a dvd writer that can write, though that is off topic.  

Is there much difference between the various types of linux?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How many times can I say this?  A linux live CD is not the full linux!  All it's made to do is help you recover files that you have on a computer you can't boot windows yet and it provides a GUI for ease of setup.  It installs no drivers and you can't even get online with just the live CD.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is not what I was going to use a live cd for, but it sounds like you want to argue so I"ll leave this thread and you can argue by yourself.  Good luck.