The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

High School Band

pteranofan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Yes, I am a band geek. I play second trumpet second chair. We play a lot of challenging music.

For Example:

Annandale Chronicles (Click on Listen to an audio sample (MP3).

We played that last year. (That's not my band, by the way. It's a recording by a professional band :D)

Who else is a bandee or ex-bandee? :DD

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never played in a school band, but i'm in my high school orchestra. I play 2nd violin. I was also in the College orchestra and was 1st violin, i actuall could of been Concert Master (there were only 3 people in the 1st violin section) but i never wanted to do all those horrific solos :lol. Unfortunately, not enough people were showing up at the college orchestra so it was discontinued :cry . The song we were playing was Serenade, composed by Tchaikovsky. The sheet music can be found here, just left-click the "Downlaod PDF sheet music" and it will pop up. I have a recording of the full song (all 4 movements) if anyone is interested in hearing it.

I am also play Bass Guitar for a rock band that my friend is in (im actually only covering for the other Bassist because hes on a trip to Europe).

pteranofan

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Wow! Orchestra? That's awesome. REALLY awesome!!! If we could get an orchestra, that would rock!!!

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, Orchestra's pretty darn cool, if ya ask me!
I've played violin since I was...let's see...5, and I'm pretty good...I guess...

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow! Orchestra? That's awesome. REALLY awesome!!! If we could get an orchestra, that would rock!!!
Ya, its pretty sweet, we've actually had some band members join up with the orchestra for a couple of pieces, that was pretty fun.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, I am a band geek. I play second trumpet second chair.
You too?! :D  :wow

Well, sadly I don't play anymore.  I'm 21 now but I played trumpet for 6 years in junior high and high school (Grades 7 to 12).  In grade 10, the first year of high school, I was placed into the school's symphonic band (the higher-level band) as 3rd trumpet.  I was moved up to lead the 2nd trumpets in grades 11 and 12.  

Here's
Here's a full-length recording of my grade 12 band playing a large number (either 12 or 13, I don't remember now) of movements from the Carmina Burana suite by Karl Orff.  I'm sure at least a few people here will recognize something in this collection; It's pretty well-known, especially the last movement, starting around 16:47 in this recording. B)
Yes, we did play this entire piece without a break...and yes, we played other pieces at this concert....and yes, by the end my mouth was Sore. :p
I was the Only person playing 2nd trumpet in this piece so that was rather special to me. :)
(P.S. Yes, we did have a WICKED 1st trumpet player! :D  I'm still good friends with him. :) )

(I apologize for the poor recording quality.  That was the way we were recorded in the concert hall.  I didn't make the recording so there's nothing I could have done about that. :( )

We played some tricky stuff in high school.  We had a band though, not an orchestra so we didn't get much of the "typical" classical music.  We did, however, take on a number of interesting contemporary pieces.

Oh man, band was a blast! :D   I miss it so much. :cry   I've thought about trying to join a band again but I haven't picked up a trumpet for nearly 4 years.  I worry about my ability on one now. :lol  I know the fingerings but I know the ol' chops aren't what they used to be! :lol:

Nowadays all I really play is piano/keyboard and a *tiny* bit of guitar.  I'm very bad on guitar though! :p

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
they don't have school bands in holland, i wanna know why cuz school bands are most of all fairly good :yes

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
We have got a band at our school, but I am not in it, because I don¥t play any instrument very well. I am learning guitar right now. Next year I want to join the band and play with them. The band, how we know it now there is very good. It also plays the music to our new musical. It¥s really much fun to practise with them :yes

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've never played/sang in a band. But to tell the truth, it's one of my highest wishes! I can't wait 'till the Uni!  :^.^:
I'm gonna keep up dancin though!

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,May 5 2008 on  02:36 PM
Dancing? That rocks
New course starts this autum  :^.^:
I have whole summer with party's to dance in!
PS: Patrick, (I'm almost able to do that dance smiley you send me on msn) HAHA!
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The only school band I participated in was in middle school, or junior high, as 4th drummer.  I wasn't truly happy there, so I stopped as soon as I went to high school.

mcr mad

• Spike
    • View Profile
i'm not part of a band but some of my mate's are in one, but im a MC so i dont need to be in one

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like you folks are having fun in your various ways, playing an instrument, dancing, ect.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Trumpet and French horn were my band instruments back in the day. :p  I enjoyed the f horn more considering they weren't a dime a dozen.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Do you play some sort of instrument today?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Not at all.  I haven't forgotten how to play if I had to pick them up again.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting.  Ever give thought to taking up the same instruments again?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
Sorry, not a band geek. My school is christian based and well...I don't want to sing religious songs day in and day out.  <_< I mean if I want to, I will. And...I'm not too talented with instruments either...so...naw...

I'm more of a drama geek. :D I would like to get into choir though...

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Not a band, but during my students exchange I was in the choir ;) We got two stars for a performance of "Coming Home" at Grand Forks. My suggestion to sing "If we hold on together" for the graduation ceremony was regrettably turned down, but for a good reason ("If we hold on together" had been sung the previous year). My music teacher however played it for me and I did a solo in one lesson. She also gave me the note sheets of If we hold on together and I'm not exaggerating if I say that this was what got me started playing the music keyboard. We did sing these are the special times during the graduation ceremony.