The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What time format do you prefer?

Serris · 28 · 2681

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Does anyone prefer the military (24 hour) time notation over the standard time notation (12 hour)?

I greatly prefer the military time because it's less confusing.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

ingster

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://ingster.deviantart.com/
i rather prefer the am/pm time format, becuse for the fact its easier to use and understand, also it can be usefull in knowing what part of the day it is

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i don't really care which one is used really, though i guess 24 hour time is technically better to use for reasons stated above

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've grown up with standard, everyone around me understands standard, standard works, and people get confused when you say the time in military time.  For those reasons, I voted the 12 hr time.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I prefer the 24 hours system, but over here the 24 system is standard anyway in written form anyway and doesn't hold any military associations. While talking many people over here may still use the 12 hour system though.

The Dark Patriot

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I prefer 24 hour time. It was drilled into me as a cadet, and it's standard for the schedules at work, so I can't really live without it.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Think I have to agree with Austin on this one; I grew up with the "standard" time format; military time confuses me... :unsure:
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Using military time is easy, but since I didn't grow up with it and get used to it, when someone says the time in military time, it makes me have to think for a minute.  When I want the time, I just want the time!  I don't want to have to convert it.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes.  Exactly!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I prefer standard over military personally.  With military it takes me a while to convert unless I use a calculator.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Same here, I use both. For differnt purposes. :lol:

/Lillefot
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
For me so-called "military time" is a normal one, and P.M./A.M. thing is something confusing and more difficult to use... As it like for any russian, i guess. We don't have this "normal" format here at all. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I prefer standard. Military is too confusing for me. Well not too confusing. But if I see something in military time, it takes me longer to figure out what time it is because I have to think in my mind and count. Standard time is what I grew up with, so I'm more comfortable with it.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I prefer military time. I'm most used to it. And I think it's anoying to look whether it is AM or PM..(for example when someone posted it at 1:34 at the board and I think 'o he was online jsut now' but later on I see 'am' 'o he was online 12 hours ago.. >.<' .. Yea well. I think that's anoying.)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's perfectly understandable...  For most of us, what we grew up with, we prefer, since it's easier for us to remember...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
No preference...I could figure out either one.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, so can I, pretty much...  I just prefer the 12 hour format, because I grew up with it - mostly...  And, that's probably what most of us prefer...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It seems like most do here, though not everyone.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, not everybody.  Adam, for one, doesn't really seem to have a preference either way...