The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Vista Finally Works

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, I'm happy to announce that Windows Vista FINALLY works without crashing every time you try to copy a file to the desktop and showing you blue screens of death every time you type in notepad.  Now Vista is ONLY better on computers that actually came with it.  If you want to upgrade that xp computer of yours to vista, don't do it yet.  I'm not sure what they did but Vista now runs decently on machines that came with it from the factory.  It just happened.  All my computers that originally came with vista are running fine now.  Will I switch to Vista as my main OS?  No.  Why?  Because it's still a bloated piece of DRM infested crap.  It's better now though because it's a lot more stable.  Still bloated, inefficient, and slow?  Yes.  Crashing constantly?  Not anymore.  I'm still not switching to vista, but at least the computers I have that are only compatible with vista don't crash every five minutes anymore.  Now, if they could only make an OS that's stable, small, efficient, and fast.  That would be a good OS.  Windows xp is only 3 of those 4 things but vista is only stable right now.  When will they get it right?  Probably never.  They'll release windows 7 before they ever make windows vista decent.  My idea of a great OS is one that puts efficiency over style.  We've already seen what happens when MS decides that looks are all that matter in an OS.  It's taken them 2 years just to make it stable.  Here's to hoping windows 7 will be small, stable, fast, and efficient.  Good looks would be great too, but I'd much rather have it be ugly and work then be pretty and freeze all the time. <_<

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Windows Vista is likely the next Windows ME.  Overlooked and bypassed by the later development of XP.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think that the programmers that made Vista were drunk, but couldn't perfectly match the Ballmer Peak, and they didn't have super-human programming capabilities, just like ME. I think that with Vista, they were trying to redo what they did in ME, but right instead of wrong.
(xkcd reference)

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think that the programmers that made Vista were drunk, but couldn't perfectly match the Ballmer Peak, and they didn't have super-human programming capabilities, just like ME. I think that with Vista, they were trying to redo what they did in ME, but right instead of wrong.
(xkcd reference)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My second pc came with vista and it seems ok for basic stuff, except for connecting to the internet, which it often takes 5 minutes before it realizes it's connected, unlike xp and the 2 types of linux I've tried.  I"m glad I barely use it.  It seems ok for playing most video games, but not all of them.  Playing videos is ok, though there are some that it has to load, for some reason, before it plays them.   I've not tried it for other basic computer stuff.   I think I may get a hdd and put linux on it to use on pc2 for basic computer stuff, leaving vista just for games.  

Maybe they were drunk, or smoking or sniffing something they should not have been.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
I have a new Vista PC, downloaded all the programs I needed and have three games on it now. It runs perfect til now. I like the fact that one can have two games open and chat the same time without freezing. :D Much better then my older PC.^^

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like a neat pc that you have, congratulations.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It wasn¥t that expensive. But it does it¥s job, yes.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm not saying that windows vista is good or anything, but at least it's stable now.  It's still a dog when it comes to consumption of resources. <_<

The technological world is getting smaller and smaller.  Applications are taking less and less resources.  Vista is the total opposite of technological advancement.  Windows itself is really bloated and inefficient now.  They need to start from scratch but they don't want to do that cuz it'll cost money so they screw us by making these huge OS's that don't work properly. :x

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe the reason some are giving windows the middle finger (or other versions in other countries) and going to other operating systems.  

Glad you like your new pc Nimrod.   :smile

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Said it yourself. All kinds of "crap-rebuilding" cost money.
Besides, the crap's already out and people are buying it... or am I sadly misstaken?
Ofcourse one can question what the heck Windows was thinking when they created the OS. One should not deny that the OS have it's weak links.
What I'm sick of is that people can't accept the fact that what's done is done!
You don't like Vista? Well fine, go on and change back to XP, but don't stick around and whimp! NO thing's gonna change for that matter!

And face the facts: Vista is the market's PC OS at the time, if you buy a new PC, it's likely to have Vista. What you as a customer can do is either have the OS changed, or abandon like 30 minutes of your time searching for XP PC's on the web... I'm just sick of all the superfluous whimper!
For instance, I use Vista Home Premium on my laptop.
It works wooonderrsss... for the things I use it for.
So what I'm saying, if you have a PC with Vista and it works fine for your purposes; why do you have to mess around complaining? Don't just sit around on your bottoms, DO something about it instead!

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
can i bash Vista here? :D

lets see...

its slow, hogs system memory, crashes every 5 SECONDS!, spams you with "are you SURE you wanna do this?" "yes i do!" xD, terrible interface, terrible with resources, badly designed start menu, DirectX 10 is NOT needed xD. oh and get this, i reada rumor online that Vista is actually a secret beta project of Windows 7.

imagine that, that the worst OS Microsoft have ever put out is actually a BETA version of an OS that is gonna be released in like a year or two. wow, if its true, i applaud Microsoft for disguising Vista as a beta and making it mainstream in all retail PCs right now.

a good hint of this is when you start up Vista, theres no logo during the "loading" screen. ever wondered why that is? i wondered about it the first time i saw the Vista load screen.

yes, i hate Vista with a passion. i once declared to some people that i will die before i WILLINGLY use Vista, and i stand by my word :D. worst OS ever.

thanks Microsoft :)

i dont care if Microsoft stop supporting Windows XP. it is the BEST OS they have ever put out, and i wont change from XP until Windows 7 is released and maybe 1-2 years after that. GO XP!

sorry for reviving this post if it was declared dead. it just HAD to be said though.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I think XP will be supported up to 2011 because so many people won't buy Vista.  I know MS had to extend its shelf life, but I've forgotten the cutoff date.  Pretty sure all us XP people will be supported for a good long while.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I'm currently using Vista on my computer (this family comp has XP) and I haven't suffered any problems thus far. I don't think Vista is as bad as people say it is. In some ways, I even like it more than XP.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Nov 17 2008 on  08:42 AM
I'm currently using Vista on my computer (this family comp has XP) and I haven't suffered any problems thus far. I don't think Vista is as bad as people say it is. In some ways, I even like it more than XP.
I couldn't agree more.
And as I said in my previous post, just because something is considered bad by the other... it doesn't have to be so for everyone.
Just do something about it and stop complaining.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
What THE??? Okay, I don¥t get it, really. LBTlover and Tyrannosaur:

I doesn¥t get it, really, I am confused. What are you talking about? Things like crashing every five minutes and all this stuff??? That¥s not true, at least not here. I don¥t know what you two got for computers, but... my dad got his vista laptopin the week when vista came out. And it runs perfect, without crashing and everything. I really don¥t see your problem.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With us it all runs fine too. We use vista profesional. It will start crashing if I update it to SP1 though, so I'll wait.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nimrod,Nov 17 2008 on  07:42 AM
What THE??? Okay, I don¥t get it, really. LBTlover and Tyrannosaur:

I doesn¥t get it, really, I am confused. What are you talking about? Things like crashing every five minutes and all this stuff??? That¥s not true, at least not here. I don¥t know what you two got for computers, but... my dad got his vista laptopin the week when vista came out. And it runs perfect, without crashing and everything. I really don¥t see your problem.
hehe well, i cant speak for LBTLover. but when i say it crashes, i am slightly exaggerating about it :D. it doesnt crash EVERY 5 seconds, its just a way of saying that its an unstable OS :).

service pack 2 should fix alot of the current issues with it whenever they decide to release it.

XP will be supported till 2011? sweet. i read that Microsoft we're being pressured by consumers to not ditch XP shortly after Vista came out

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have vista on another hdd that I've used on this pc till I saved up to get a hdd to put Ubuntu on.  Vista seemed overall ok, maybe since this pc came with vista, though the one main problem was it seemed to take it a long time to notice when I had connected the dsl modem, even if I did that before booting the pc.  Xp right off noticed that,  Ubuntu does too.  They both know within a second that they are now connected to the internet.  Xandros on my eeepc takes a few seconds sometimes.  But Vista can take many minutes before it notices.  Not sure of any other problems since I used Vista only to play video games.  

As for Microsoft keeping Xp out I heard some large computer manufacturers like Hewlett Packard, Assus, Dell, & maybe some others, basically made Microsoft agree to extending the period they will support Xp.    I guess together they basically had Microsoft's arm pressed up into it's back (forgot what the hold is called) and forced them since they can speak with big bucks and are not easily ignored like Microsoft ignores the common consumer.