The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The webbrowsers

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Which web-browser works the fastest for you?
Myself, Chrome has proven to be fastest at my end.
However, I use IE or FF when editing webpages and alike. Something Chrome doesn't want to help me with.

My aunt next door (computer tech) says that Opera works best at her place. I haven't tried it yet. I got Safari with the new iTunes, and so tried it out. Haven't made up my mind there yet though.
Reason with this poll/topic I thought, would be to discuss the advantages/lacks of each browser.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I like Firefox the best. One of the advangde it has, is that you can write for example The Gang of Five, and it will find the webpage if you have already been here. This allows you to get to a specific webpage again faster, than if you were you using the standard IE.

However, I can't say anything about the others, because I haven't tried them, nor do I have any reason to change to another browser, since Firefox covers all the expectations I have to a webbrowser.

Besides, I don't use Safari because I think it'll be a little too much Apple. I already got itunes, and with Safari, it would be too much. And the IE is just.... (throws it out with the trash) useless.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Google chrome has my computer creating a huge noise. Though I do like it without a particular reason.

IE has always been the main browser here, because nobody is used to anything else.

Firefox has always been slow to me, I dont like it too much. I only use it to watch movies and stuff as it does have more possibilities on that part. But that's really all I use it for.

Didn't try others, never even heard of netscape :p

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I prefer Opera. I have tried Firefox and it is nice, but my fav is still Opera.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Nov 25 2008 on  01:30 PM
I prefer Opera. I have tried Firefox and it is nice, but my fav is still Opera.
I have to agree with you Kacie!
I've just tried the newest Opera, using it to type now, and it's way fast!
It beats Chrome easily!
Looks great too!  :D
Too bad I've voted already.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've only really tried IE and Firefox.  I use to use Netscape way back when, but not recently.  I like Firefox best personally.  I like some of the features it has, and being open source and not proprietary likely has it's pluses too.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I used Netscape before.  It's crap! :P: I've moved on to others.  Internet Explorer is nice, but is too slow for my taste.  Firefox is good and what I use as a back up.  My main one is Google Chrome.  I enjoy it quite a bit.  There's only ONE gripe I have with it... no left and right arrow scroll that pops up when the page is too wide. :( (Seriously Google, FIX IT!!!) :angry:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Nov 25 2008 on  07:56 PM
I used Netscape before.  It's crap! :P:
I've used Netscape before I used Opera. I enjoyed Netscape a lot, actually. I only switched because it started crashing on me for some reason and I don't know why.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm singing loud and strong....Ooooppperrrraaaa! :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It seems like it is about evenly split so far between Firefox, Chrome, & Opera.  With none using Ie, Safari (never heard of that one), nor netscape.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
At present, the best internet browser is Mozilla Firefox.  Google Chrome will overtake it eventually though.  I can guarantee it.  Anyone who doesn't like firefox, there are some things you need to remember.  First, you can't keep the browser running for more than 5 hours or so otherwise it'll eat up all of your ram.  I'd say the minimum system requirements for Firefox are a 1.6ghz P4 processor, 1gb of ram, and a hard drive with at least 20% free space left.  If you don't meet even 1 of those criteria, your Firefox experience isn't going to be very nice.  When you can run Firefox though, your internet experience will be a million times faster than IE or any other type of web browser and your browsing experience will be better than anything else you've ever tried.  Google Chrome on the other hand has more features than Firefox AND uses just about the same amount of resources as Internet Explorer.  The only reason why Firefox is better right now is the stability.  Once Google gets the bugs out of their browser, it will be the best browser on the planet.  Until then, Firefox is on the top of the totem pole, but Google Chrome is creeping up and threatening to throw Firefox completely off.  I honestly can't wait until that day.  Firefox is great, but I really do prefer Google Chrome.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I may be willing to try it out someday if I hear they have polished out all the bugs and have a version for Ubuntu, till then I'll stick with Firefox, regardless of what anyone says.

Littlefoot90

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://lbtwelt.npage.ch/
hi, I have Google chrome at the PC on this and I have Internet Explorer at the Notebook Computer on this

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Firefox FTW! :D I haven't used IE in years, so I wasn't affected by the recently discovered security flaw - kinda saw that one coming... :lol

Yeah, it's a bit slow to load at first for me, but I've always had a good experience with it! :yes I like the fact that it has plugins, too.. :)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I currently use Firefox.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think Firefox and IE are about the same.  And I don't really like Safari because one of my friends has that on her Mac/Apple computer.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: Dark Pterano,Dec 20 2008 on  04:40 AM
I think Firefox and IE are about the same.
They are not. Believe me, FireFox is much safer then IE. I'm using it myself. :)
Netscape was once one of the most popular browsers... Or so i heard. But since it's not officially supported anymore, what's the point in using it? :huh:

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I prefer FireFox. It is open-source, available on both Windows and Mac, is customizable, and is nice to use. And is safe.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Now I'm back to speak browsers again.

I recently got IE8 trough a automatic Windows upgrade.
Now, I haven't had much trust in IE, and have been using Chrome since it was released.
I installed IE8 just for giving it a try, something I don't regret.

Holy mackerel it's fast. Now, note that "fast" is hard to define for me, as I live out in the forest. Connection isn't the best in the world here. But it's still very decent.
Anyway, it has proven faster than Chrome.
Though I have to say, that I'm fond of Chrome in many ways.
The "most used" start page is great.

To compete, I downloaded FF3. And it's a close run between these three.
Most of the issues comes with the loading of pictures and media.

To make a small review though, I've also tried Safari 4 beta.
I have to say that I wasn't that much impressed. It was good looking and all, but the overall speed and interface wasn't the best. So I droped it.

Any own experiences?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
IE 6 was good, but has many security holes.  IE 7 still had almost all the security holes that IE 6 did, AND it was a slow piece of garbage.  IE 8 is much better than IE 7, but there still needs to be MANY improvements.  Security is much improved in IE 8 and the user experience is much better, but it still can't compare to other freeware browsers out there.  I'm guessing IE 9 will be able to compete with the rest of the browsers out there today.  I can't wait.