The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This project was announced by BioWare, the same company that made KOTOR 1 and 2, some weeks ago. It had been previously rumored that the project was the next sequel in the KOTOR series, but has now been revealed as an MMO that takes place serveral hundred years after KOTOR 2.

So what does everyoe else think? I personally had been hoping for KOTOR 3, so this was kind of a letdown.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I had heard rumors of them doing an MMO and I'm not surprised.  It seems everyone is on the MMO bandwagon.   I enjoyed KOTOR 1,  liked 2 though it is unfinished, despite the annoying spots both games had.  However since Bioware was bought by EA their on my [cencored] no list.  From what I hear EA is one of the ones who have very bad anti-piracy and anti-copy measures on all of their games.  Valve is on the list too since it installs steam without your knowing it I heard, and I don't like that.    To bad, I was looking forward to at KOROT 3 till all that.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I heard about this.  Looks like Bioware is REALLY trying to put nails in their own coffin.   After their attempt at to rekindle the sonic franchise was met with a worldwide 'meh'.   They are doing something even stupider.    A star wars mmo.

I've been in the cesspool of this market for a long time.  Not so long as some others but long enough to know they are trying something that will fail.

They are trying to jump two massive hurdles.

1.   The world has tasted a good Star Wars MMO.   I speak of the early incarnations of Starwars: Galaxies.    An mmo with no levels, rampant and creative class mixing, integral and useful non-combat classes that could be played as a main, not a secondary character.  Even the random system of unlocking Jedi that kept them a rarity.   The later incarnations dumbed it to a console-sque level based faux-fps game and destroyed its fanbase.   But the world tasted a unique and different mmo, that was Star Wars, and remember it.

2.  They face the Blizzard juggernaut World of Warcraft.   Do not say not to compare it because all MMO's are in battle with it.  'WoW' is a anomaly, it's userbase dwarfs even the Koreans Lineage did at it's highpoint passing it by close to 4 million at last count.  WoW's engine is unique in that it can run on almost any machine with it's simplistic engine and cartoony graphics and not make the user feel like they are missing anything due to a crappy computer.  

They are building a game that will have to live up to what people saw Galaxies as, and draw people away from a game they are already entrenched in like X-addicts at a rave party.  

~Tobe (jaded mmo vet)

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
The NGE surely destroyed the Galaxies series. Not only killing the gameplay, but deleting every character was a mayor mistake from Sony's side.

I hope Star Wars: Old Republic will be better. I hope the space battles will be better.
I was a bit disappointed about the Galaxies on that part.
Besides, I think they made it too complicated with looting and such.
Most of the things you get, you can't even use or sell.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Bringing this game back up front. They've really improved the site, and they've even released a new cinematic trailer. While I know this says nothing about the actual game, the atmosphere is absolutely stunning!

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/hope-cinematic-trailer

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting looking trailer.  Looking at the star wars wiki it seems that this is set roughly 300 years after the 2 KOTOR games.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'm really going to be mad if there is no version of the game for Mac. Unfortunately, there will most likely be no such version.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
yeah, this game looks mad!
facebook.com/venomwargreymon