The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

File Size Limit Gone

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I just wanted to announce that I've removed the 2gb file size upload limit on my server.  Many of my friends that aren't from GOF want to upload larger files so the limit is now GONE.  Though the limit is gone, I will be checking files that are excessively large.  A friend of mine uploaded a 135gb zip folder full of music.  Na-ah.  That's not reasonable.   If you've got that much stuff to back up, you shouldn't be doing it over the internet.  Besides, when you upload it like that you have to download the whole thing at once.  He also has a 50mbps connection but it'll still take him a long time to download the file. <_< I didn't appreciate that very much.

I'm not saying you can't upload 135gb worth of files.  Just make sure not to take your entire computer contents and upload it in a single zip archive.  I took off the 2gb file size limit because there are legitimate files that are larger than 2gb (an ISO for a program that's on a DVD for example).  I just don't want huge freaking zip archives and stuff uploaded to my server.  They're totally unusable and I've made it as easy as I can to upload files.  I am looking into a way to make file uploading like photobucket does (meaning you can just select the files in a window instead of clicking "browse" and selecting each file individually), but I'm not making much progress.  I think that's beyond my ability to code at the moment.  Give me the chance to get into college first people! :p

EDIT:  Oh and unrelated to the file size limit removal, I've added a different background image to my server. :D I think it looks quite nice.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
135gb of music on offsite hosting...not smart considering how long it would take to get it all back.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Why remove the limit? Couldn't you just increase it? I think a 10GB cap would be more than reasonable.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It will take him a while to download all that.  Better to get an external hdd, or something.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Why remove the limit? Couldn't you just increase it? I think a 10GB cap would be more than reasonable.

Truthfully?  I was lazy. :p I wanted to increase the limit to 15gb, but I didn't want to calculate exactly how large 15gb was in megabytes.  I can do 1gb, 2gb, 3gb, 4gb calculations in my head, but after that I'm hopeless (well 10gb is pretty easy).  The calculation is 1024 times (X)mb to get the total amount of megabytes to put into the script.  I just deleted the line of code.  Too lazy to get the calculator.

135gb of music on offsite hosting...not smart considering how long it would take to get it all back.

Well it's fine to have 135gb hosted somewhere on the net when it's as fast as my server......it's just not smart to have it all in 1 downloadable file.  Talk about a pain in the butt.  My server does support video and music streaming in VLC (I wasn't going to tell anyone about that, but oh well).  He should have just uploaded each individual file.