The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

MSN and laptop...

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Okay, I have just about HAD it with this stupid laptop...! It's been an uphill battle to get this piece of junk running, and keep it running! Sure, it's my best machine now, but dang, how much crap do I have to go through to get it to work properly??! :mad :anger Now, I can't maintain a stable connection to MSN, AT ALL... I'm doing my best to diagnose the problem, but it's just NOT working, and, I'm ready to throw up my hands! I'm pissed off, and not gonna take this crap anymore! :anger I'm sorry to those of you who talk with me via MSN, but it's rather rocky right now. This transition over to this machine has been one long uphill battle after another, and I for one am so sick and tired of it, that I'm actually contemplating just saying screw it with computers, unless some miracle happens and I'm able to maintain a stable connection. Doesn't seem to happen on my desktop, so why here? Geez.... And yeah, I was serious about the "giving up" part - if I can't fix it, then I'll just say screw it...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
You could always go third party if its the MSN software that is the problem.  Sure doesn't sound like it.  Seems that your internet connection is what needs to be fixed, like the signal is dropped or something.  Is it a wireless connection?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I can run either wired or wireless. I disabled wireless, no difference. In fact, a couple weeks ago, I had a lot of problems with my wired connection on my desktop disconnecting and reconnecting. I actually had to install a spare WiFi card in my desktop for a more stable connection, and as crazy as that sounds, it worked. I've tried running either my wireless connection on the laptop, or the wired, and even both simultaneously, and it's just not working... Other applications seem to be working fine... This is a new install - I JUST did this!
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It may be that your desktop may have to be used for online stuff, and the laptop for everything else.  Annoying but if it works out like that while you are there it may be like that.  And I've heard nearly everyone has problems with wireless internet, the reason I didn't let my isp talk me into wireless.  It may be routers or something.  Or something simple.

Is it your connection or msn, if it's your connection and your desktop work ok, it may be like I said and you may need to use the desktop for online use only.  If it is MSN you can try using pidgin or some other IM program.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think it's something misconfigured, somewhere... There's no other explanation as to why it doesn't work right on my laptop versus my desktop. I will stop at nothing to make this work, including a reformat, or exposing any security vulnerability that may be necessary. Call me obsessive, but I want this to work. It USED to work, back before I got the laptop. Used to work just fine. Now it doesn't... Looks like I'll have to play blindman's bluff with all my technological know-how until it either works or I give up.

EDIT: Here, this hint should make things easier for someone to help me out: there is usually a variable delay between sending a message and being signed out, and I get it bounced back at me... I'm ready to format the laptop for the billionth time...

EDIT 2: Matter of fact, that's almost too easy now, so that's what I'm gonna do. To all my MSN contacts, I'm sorry, but you won't hear from me for a while, until this is resolved. I'm burning an emergency backup DVD of what I have on this drive that isn't backed up, and formatting... This is ridiculous, seeing as it's about the fourth or fifth time that I've done it now...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm.. You should calm down at least. Good luck reformatting your laptop and I hope it works afterwards :)

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Feb 2 2009 on  10:06 PM
Hmm.. You should calm down at least. Good luck reformatting your laptop and I hope it works afterwards :)
Yeah, I should... But it's frustrating having to do this for the umpteen-bazillionth time... :oops At least I can burn a quick DVD; this time, I'll install MSN first...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck on getting your problems resolved.  I'm sure many of us know how big hassles computers can be at times.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Feb 2 2009 on  10:23 PM
Good luck on getting your problems resolved.  I'm sure many of us know how big hassles computers can be at times.
Yeah... :( Thanks everyone. Really. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
EDIT: Here, this hint should make things easier for someone to help me out: there is usually a variable delay between sending a message and being signed out, and I get it bounced back at me... I'm ready to format the laptop for the billionth time...

Every now and then I'll get a timeout with third-party software Pidgin through the MSN network.  Now I don't get signed out, but I logout manually because otherwise all my messages will bounce back.  It doesn't happen all the time, but some nights it does.  It could very well be MSN acting up.  I had a bad stretch on MSN for a while, but the problem did go away with time.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If it happens on wired and wireless and you've already formatted the laptop, I'd suspect the router. :p

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Feb 3 2009 on  01:35 PM
If it happens on wired and wireless and you've already formatted the laptop, I'd suspect the router. :p
Nope. :p It works now, and it worked before, a long time ago, before this laptop was mine and back when it still used its original hard drive. I think I've traced the problem to a redundant, needless driver I accidentally installed for the wireless... Leave it to Compaq to list redundant drivers even in specific models of certain computers, and the end-user to figure out which ones will break the machine, which ones won't even work, and which ones you actually need. :p Yeah... Anyway, over the course of the day, I'll be reinstalling everything; right now, I've got only a basic install of XP, many updates (darn you Patch Tuesday!), MSN, and Firefox. Hopefully I don't break the machine. :oops

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Doing it on step at a time and stopping to test things may tell you which program or update is the problem.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You did get that copy of XP Lite I sent, didn't you?  You should use it man.  Seriously.....regular XP sucks so bad.

And for drivers, go ahead and download my "Dame's Computer Repair Standard Applications" package from my server.  It's in the "Standard Tools" folder in the main server directory.  It has some great tools man.  I'm sure you can use 'em. :)

EDIT:  But the copy of AVG and VLC are outdated so I'll be making a new one shortly.  Perhaps you want to wait till then.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
To be honest Austin, I did try it once, on a spare hard drive, and found it to be somewhat unstable... For example, I tried to close a window that had frozen, clicked twice and clicked "End Task," and it crashed Explorer as expected, but what I didn't expect is for it to bring down another task, which forced the whole system to shut down, and then later on, I find out that a couple files are damaged? Eh, sorry dude... For what it does, it does okay, and it's there when I need it.... But I'm already tweaking my XP installs all to crap anyway. :p

EDIT: Oh, this is just great.  Now AVG claims that MSN has tracking cookies in it.. I clicked to have one moved to the vault accidentally, but now it seems to be screwed up. I even tried restoring it and it doesn't work... This is just peaches. I hope I can reinstall MSN, even though it'll take me two hours to reinstall all my custom emoticons. I'm one screwup away from walking away from computer techieness... Thanks AVG, you PIECE of GARBAGE! :anger

EDIT 2: Okay, I reinstalled MSN, and disabled tracking cookies in resident shield in AVG.  Fortunately all my emoticons, display pictures, and the one background I was able to reinstall, all were still there... :p

UPDATE: It's working! :D I got it all working last night! :) Honestly, this was something I wasn't sure I would be able to do... :oops But this is a big morale booster for me. :^.^: It's actually done, so now I can take it anywhere I might go. :) The freedom that this gives, it's amazing... :^.^:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Feb 5 2009 on  04:13 AM
What did you do differently?
Not a whole lot, surprisingly.. :p I'm wondering if the order of certain programs I installed has anything to do with it, or if it was all on account of that same driver... I'll be sure that incompatible driver gets sent to hell... :p