The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Nintendo DSi

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm not impressed.  First off, what's with the regular crap screens that are forced to maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio?  If there's one thing you need widescreen in, it's games.  Sony recognized this with the PSP.  Secondly, no new technology has been integrated into it.  OMG it's got a camera!  Seriously, who cares?  It's an old technology with more old technology piled on top of it in a slimmer case. :rolleyes:  I certainly won't be getting one.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Think there was already a topic on it when it was in the news for the first time. Not sure whre it is though.

As for my opinion, I hate it that they took away the gameboy advance part. It was really helpful not having to bring an advance and a DS with you on holidays. As for the camera, its kind of useless. sure it's nice but, ya know, soon we'll be able to call with it too and then all technology will be united.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm guessing at least part of the real reason they removed the gba slot was to make you buy some gameboy games by download, like on the wii thing.  That way they see it'll up their profit margin with it saving space and weight being a side benefit likely, not the primary reason.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
My first one got stolen but I'm planning on getting a next one someday.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Nowadays, I'm not really interested in handheld games. When I was younger, I was more interested, but I grew out of it. It's hard for me to see what I'm doing on a handheld game because either a glare is in the way or it's too dark. And it's hard for me to find a place that's well lit but at the same time doesn't make it hard to see the screen. The only game that would make me want to get a DS at all is Metroid Prime Hunters.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are enough GBC, GB, and GBA games I can get on an emulator to last me a lifetime.  If I want it to be portable, I'll put it on my laptop.  My laptop has wifi and a webcam. :p What more do I need?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
A mint dispenser  :lol

A drink holder & dispenser?  :p

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A mint dispenser dino_laugh.gif

A drink holder & dispenser? dino_tongue.gif

Oh didn't I already mention it?  I already have those things. :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Its not really mentioned in the video, but the DSi will have a menu somewhat like the Wii from what i've read, also the games will be hot swappable (whoop-de-doo). The D-pad is also a lot better from the DS Lite (think of what the really old DS D-pad was like).

i have to agree to pretty much everything lbtlover said, i don't think its worth it to buy another DS just to have some extra features, like a camera. I can already use my phone( i believe IGN said that DSi's camera resolution is pretty much the same as a phones anyway), and i would bring my digital camera if im actually planning to take pictures. Also, if i want to listen to music, i would have bought an ipod already. The DSWare could be a selling point, but they've only shown cheap games that would only hold my attention for maybe 5-10 min. I also don't like that the GBA slot is removed, i many only have 3 GBA games, but its kinda nice to to have the option and convenience of playing GBA games, especially if i trade my old DS Lite for the DSi, as i won't have any way to play my GBA games. Top this with the fact that i barely even play my DS anymore, only on rare occasions. I most likely will not buy the DSi.

But then again, i bet that Nintendo will make a mario or zelda game thats only DSi compatible, then lean back in their chairs and watch the DSi's sales go up 500%. Or maybe they'll announce Metroid Dread for the DSi, that would be just cruel.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Mar 16 2009 on  06:43 PM
A mint dispenser dino_laugh.gif

A drink holder & dispenser? dino_tongue.gif

Oh didn't I already mention it?  I already have those things. :lol
A mint dispenser neat.  Does it have a selection of mints to choose to be dispensed?  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Meh...in all fairness, I doubt there is that much more in the DSi to peak my interest in it. My regular DS works perfectly fine and I don't really intend to replace it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll most likely get it in a computer trade one day so I'll see it eventually, but I definitely won't buy it in the store even though I don't even have a DS.  Heck, the newest portable game player I have is the standard GameBoy Advance. :lol I don't invest ANY money into games or gaming equipment.  I rely solely on trades to get my gaming stuff.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I do sometimes buy gaming stuff, mostly games, though, if they are cheap. I rarely buy games when they just come out because they are ridiculously expensive. The most expensive I bought was Metroid Prime 3 which was around $70 from what I can remember, or maybe $60. Sooner or later, I want to get a new memory card for my PS2 but the memory cards are so expensive. Around $20-$25 just for one. But I've seen worse with Gamecube. I had to pay $40, about, to get one and that's the only one we have so far.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
When I buy games I never buy them new.  They are cheaper & if you get stuck there's bound to be lots of info online since the games I have were not new when I first got them.  The Dsi I doubt I'll get it, not even when the price drops.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
When the economy sucks so bad, now is not the time to be making a "new" product that's basically the same as the old one with a few old technologies integrated in it.  I think the DSi will be an abysmal failure.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
The DSi...

Unlike you guys, I'll probably get one on my birthday. Though, I already have a DS but these things that hold both screens together is broken and might fall off someday. =/

I always wanted a second DS so my brother and I can play together. The GBA slot is not very important for me since I can play GBA games on my PSP.  :p
But games like "Guitar Hero" with the plug-in fret needs the slot to play, which is a minus for DSi.

But there is still the SD-Card slot which is one reason I'll get one.
It's only a matter of time till you can start games/programms from the card. =P

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Today I watched some clips about the DSi, it actually caught my interest quite a bit. I do like most functions it has. Though I'll wait until my ds lite is broken before getting one ;)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt I"ll get one, not till my ds lite breaks likely.  The only thing new that my ds lite can't do with various homebrew applications is the 2 cameras which I would never use.  It can play the apple audio format, my cyclods evolution with moonshell can play more then just 1, including mp3 & more also.  The dsi can use sd cards, my cyclods can use microsd and microsdhc cards.  Not sure if the dsi can play videos, but my cyclods evolution can with the moonshell program installed, though only dpg format files I think.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
I would be more than interested in a DSi if they didn't take out the GBA slot.  Like slimming down something by a few milimeters is going to make it any better?  In fact, it made it worse in my opinion.  They have this whole deal at GameStop where you can trade in a normal DS for a DSi and they hype it up telling you to "upgrade".  Upgrade???  Hah!  With the way they removed the GBA slot, I'd rather say DOWNGRADE.  Yes, its got a little camera, downloadable content, and an SD card slot, but that still doesn't leave any redeeming quality for me.