The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ice Age

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I was wondering, do you think they should feature an Ice Age in the series, just like in "The Day After Tomorrow" film?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
No, I think they should try to make new films rather than trying to make films like any one that already exists.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Its certainly an idea, but if there was an actual ice age the gang probably wouldn't surivive because of how they are all cold blooded - one of the reasons the dinosaurs even existed was because of the really warm period the earth went through in the mesozoic era.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Caustizer,May 25 2009 on  09:39 AM
Its certainly an idea, but if there was an actual ice age the gang probably wouldn't surivive because of how they are all cold blooded - one of the reasons the dinosaurs even existed was because of the really warm period the earth went through in the mesozoic era.
Actually, no one really knows if they were warm-blooded or cold-blooded. But there is more evidence to support them being warm-blooded (including lots of blood vessel holes or whatever in their bones, something that, today, is only present in warm-blooded animals). Another evidence comes from Brachiosaurus I believe. In order to pump blood all the way up that neck, it would need a 4-chambered heart, something only warm-blooded animals have.

Also, if Littlefoot and his friends and the other GV dinosaurs were indeed cold-blooded, they should have died off in LBT 8, when that snowstorm hit. But they didn't; they survived and remained active, and this snow storm didn't last a short time; it lasted long enough to kill off the plants. And at one point, Mr. Thicknose was completely covered in snow, and yet was still alive when Littlefoot came across him. To be covered in snow, Mr. Thicknose had to have been laying out in the snow for a long time. If he were cold-blooded, he should have been dead by the time Littlefoot and the others found him, but he wasn't.

If anything, this proves that the LBT Dinosaurs are indeed warm-blooded.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Kacie is correct.
And no, I don't think it should be featured. Like Malte said, they should focus more on makiing new films, rather than  base it on others.

In addition, we have examples of almost the same thing;LBT VIII (not quite an ice age) and the upcoming Ice Age 3.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
there already is a film called Ice Age..And LBT 8 already covered this..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
PBS had a show a while back that showed some dinos lived up in some artic or near artic areas.  & if the bit of t-rex cartilage tht was found is really that once they used a weak acid on it for a few days, it seems some dinos may have been warm blooded or partially warm blooded.   But likely not a lot of evidence either way.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,May 25 2009 on  08:39 PM
there already is a film called Ice Age..And LBT 8 already covered this..
Yay, but The Land Before Time 8 didn't have a Quick Freeze scene like in "The Day After Tomorrow," correct?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No, but thrn again it was much warmer then than it is now. the dinosaurs would not survive a quick freeze event
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This is why I sometimes question whether or not global warming is just a repeat of the same cycle.  It has been said that another ice age is inevitable, so if the cycle is repeating itself, then Earth will get really hot again before another freeze.  I dunno, just a thought :unsure:.  As for the dinosaurs most likely being warm-blooded, it's true ya learn something new everyday :blink:.  True, the traits DarkHououmon mentioned are only those of warm-blooded living things.  Makes me wonder where along the line reptiles and other cold-blooded creatures developed their characterisitics, as dinosaurs had been classified as reptiles :unsure:.  Anyhoo, as far as the topic is concerned, LBT VIII and the TV ep "Through the Eyes of a Spiketail" have already addressed this ;).

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I did hear that the term "warm-blooded" and "cold-blooded" are outdated terms. There are more specific terms because not all animals fit exclusively to either group, if I remember correctly.

For example, there are some "warm-bodied" sharks that can regulate their body temperatures, even in cold water, to help them remain active, if I heard correctly.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,May 26 2009 on  12:35 AM
No, but then again it was much warmer then than it is now. the dinosaurs would not survive a quick freeze event.
True, but I was thinking that the Quick Freeze would keep them alive until the human race.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The quick freeze would kill them. In reality, very few creatures can survive being frozen. Wood toads are one of the few animals that can, and this is only for a short time. Water bears can survive for over a hundred years, but there's no guarantee they will survive millions of years.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 26 2009 on  09:28 PM
The quick freeze would kill them. In reality, very few creatures can survive being frozen. Wood toads are one of the few animals that can, and this is only for a short time. Water bears can survive for over a hundred years, but there's no guarantee they will survive millions of years.
Thats interesting   :smile

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Dh is right. there is no way they could survive such an extreme rapid change in climate..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And with humans involved it would no longer be the land before time.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 27 2009 on  03:14 AM
And with humans involved it would no longer be the land before time.
I thought with them in the human race, it make The Land Before Time more interesting?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Lbt is set millions of years before human..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,May 27 2009 on  09:07 PM
Lbt is set millions of years before human..
Remember Jurassic Park?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Jurassic Park is fictional. Dinosaurs have never been cloned in real life. It wouldn't work, really. The DNA is too old and too broken up to really work. For cloning to work, the DNA has to be 100% in tact. Even in Jurassic Park, it wasn't in tact; they had to use frog DNA to complete it. But in reality, this wouldn't work either. With the frog DNA, the dinosaurs wouldn't really be dinosaurs; more like mutated frogs. Just one small change in DNA can create drastic changes.