The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Movie with most agressive and mean Mr. Threehorn

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I would have to say number 3 because he becomes over protective of the water and does not let anyone drink unless it is their turn.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Definitely #11.  Those poor tinysauruses.  Everyone was a little out of character in #11.  That's one of the reasons I didn't like the movie very much.

BTW, welcome to GOF.  Why not make a topic in the welcome section introducing yourself? :yes

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Cant' be 4 since he refused to be in that one, or was on vacation with Ducky and Petrie's parents I Think.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
He really was a jerk in LBT XI, and I'm not surprised Tria stayed away from him for awhile after he yelled at her like he did <_<.  However, I believe he was the biggest jerk in LBT III.  Not only did he become so daggone bossy 'bout who got how much water, but he not only attempted to stop Cera from ever playing with her best friend in the world, he also endangered her life by leading her straight into the wildfire.  He really was a jerk then :anger.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cancerian Tiger,Jun 16 2009 on  10:22 PM
However, I believe he was the biggest jerk in LBT III.  Not only did he become so daggone bossy 'bout who got how much water, but he not only attempted to stop Cera from ever playing with her best friend in the world, he also endangered her life by leading her straight into the wildfire.  He really was a jerk then :anger.
Dude that was the same reason why I choice Number 3.  He was a Jerky on a Whole New Level.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Shouldn't the first LBT movie be available to vote for as well? His role in that one was small, but bigger than in X and XIII, and he didn't even appear in IV.
Not that it matters to me, since I voted for LBT III. Between insulting the other herds, accusing Littlefoot of wasting water, forbidding Cera from playing with Littlefoot, becoming a water rationing tyrant, refusing to follow the longnecks' fire escape plan, and starting an argument that forced the gang to take charge of everything, Mr. Threehorn was never more truculent. (When I was younger, I rather disliked the third movie, because of all the "mean" characters in it.)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I must go with LBT 11 for this.  Nowhere else do we see Mr. Threehorn being so unreasonably cruel to anyone as much as he was to Tria (public embarrassment and insult).  In LBT3, topsy was not properly educated, nor thinking clearly; he still legitimately cared about Cera.  There was no obvious sense of love or caring for Tria in *that scene* of LBT 11.  After this, I'm truly amazed Tria stayed with Topsy, honestly.  That seemed rather broken to me.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As for LBT 3 it would be interesting to know if he treated all kinds equally in his guarding of the water or if he (for example) treated threehorns less strictly than others. On Topsy's behalf, there is not a shred of evidence that he did anything like that, though a vain wish for being "in charge" may have played a role in his taking the helm in the first place.
The acting in LBT 11 was not only unkind but also uncharacteristic for Topsy. It is suggested in the movie itself that it was because of Tria's presence (to an effect quite contrary to what he was probably hoping for) that he got so worked up over the tinysauruses which I expect would have been "beneath his notice" under normal circumstances.
In the first movie the segregation of the kinds is still the "normal state" for all kinds. I cannot hold it as much against him as any actions conducted after he had his chance to learn. And as for that Tops seems to have learned more than we are willing to give him credit for. It is one thing to become tolerant towards others by giving up rules, but another thing to become tolerant giving up principles one has been brought up to and with teachings of the own superiority in mind. Of course those principles and ideas are really wrong but it is a lot more difficult to teach an old dinosaur new tricks than it is to teach them to a hatchling and much more difficult to teach them to someone who followed the "old ways" out of conviction rather than "custom". Taking all this into account Tops is in my opinion more than just the shallow jerk as which many may see him. This is a credit I have to give to a character I have thought about a lot for the story "Old Threehorns".

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I doubt he would have hesitated in killing the poor tinysauruses if he caught them in LBT 11.  That was just horrible the way he acted.  Totally uncalled for and just plain cruel.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I think Malte is spot on with his argument that we shouldn’t be too hasty to label Topps as “cruel” or “a jerk.” The fact that we really know very little about him means that we have no idea of what pressures could have influenced him to act the way he does (the “fight, not flight” mindset instilled in him by his father aside :p). For starters, his (over)protectiveness of Cera may be due to the fact that his mate and other daughters appear to be missing, and are presumed dead. (Of course, as is inevitable with most speculation into Topps’s family history, Dinah and Dana throw a monkey wrench into this hypothesis. :rolleyes) I have also thought it possible that Topps was once the leader of a herd of threehorns, the other members of which either dispersed upon reaching the Great Valley or died beforehand. That could explain his perpetual bossiness and apparent desire to be “in charge” of everything.
By the way, I thought I’d mention that since my “rediscovery” of LBT, I have come to like the third movie much more, and am now far more sympathetic to the two characters I had previously regarded as “mean” (Topps and Hyp). However, I stand by my decision in choosing that movie as the one in which he was the most belligerent.
In regards to LBT XI, Topps definitely went overboard in his hunt for the tinysauruses, but for some reason I never thought his remark towards Tria was that bad. Sure, it was rude, don’t get me wrong, but mild compared to some of the things we’ve heard him say to other dinosaurs over the course of the series.
While I’m on the subject, I wonder if his dislike of the tinysauruses had anything to do with the fact that they were longnecks, albeit tiny ones. Would he have been as fanatically intent on exterminating them if they had been tiny threehorns instead? Now THAT would have been interesting (not to mention darned funny :smile). Imagine how incredulous Topps would have been if Littlefoot had blamed the disappearance of the tree sweets on “little threehorns! I saw them with my own eyes! They were only about this tall!” :lol :lol :lol

P.S. Malte, is there anywhere I can read your “Old Threehorns” story? It sounds really interesting.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Without passing the label of being "cruel" or "jerky" (as it's been stated already  :D ), Mr Threehorn's anger sparks do seem to fly a little more readily in #11 but to justify that, I reckon Cera summed the situation up pretty well:

<Cera to Tria> "He felt that he took those treesweets away from you and that's why he doesn't like them..."
When something is made personal, the response is normally multiplied because it is a stab at a single entity. Obviously because Topsy wanted to impress Tria and he couldn't deliver what he promised due to someone else's meddling, hence why he flew off the handle.

In #3, Topsy adopts the "being cruel to be kind" stance in protecting/rationing what little water the Great Valley had after the drought. Because he is the sole entity policing a source, everyone wants, it's easy to stamp him as a "bad guy" cause he goes against the majority.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I doubt he would have hesitated in killing the poor tinysauruses if he caught them in LBT 11.
That's an interesting question (and one of those which we cannot answer beyond any doubt). What would have happened IF Tops had actually caught the Tinysauruses rather than chasing them over open ground (remarkable that if he was really intent to catch them he did not in spite of the fact that he is so much larger he would probably cover the distance of 20 to 30 Tinysaurus steps with a single step of his own). Had he corned the two terrified and trembling Tinysauruses in some dead-end, would he have murdered them in cold blood? We cannot be certain, but I really don't think so while I do think that he could have caught them if he had really wanted to. Much of this seems to have been his attempts to impress Tria (and it was exactly the kind of thing suited NOT to impress her).
I suppose if he had actually caught them he would have ended up in an embarrassing situation himself. I expect he would have done what he could to scare the heck out of them thereby trying to make them leave for good (unkind enough), but at the same time let them live and save face. I cannot be certain of course, but it is what I would consider more plausible than Topsy turning into a baby butchering maniac.
By the way, I thought I’d mention that since my “rediscovery” of LBT, I have come to like the third movie much more, and am now far more sympathetic to the two characters I had previously regarded as “mean” (Topps and Hyp).
LBT 3 is one of my favorites too, though I must admit that for my taste they became a bit too moralizing, especially towards the end of the movie.
P.S. Malte, is there anywhere I can read your “Old Threehorns” story? It sounds really interesting.
Thank you very much :)
The story is not online and it is not complete, but I would be happy to send what I have written so far (some 240 pages I think) via email or MSN if you send me your address (you can email me or see my MSN address in my profile). But I must warn you that the story is probably too long winded to keep people interested. Of many whom I sent it so far only one has ever read all that is written so far.

Paradise Bird

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://sporeleaf.forumotion.net/creators-hall-f7/post-your-dinos-here-
Talking about daddy tops I heard cera had a older brother.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Paradise Bird,Jun 17 2009 on  07:41 AM
Talking about daddy tops I heard cera had a older brother.
None of us know if that is true or not :unsure:.

I think Mr. Threehorn is softer now than he ever was, and this is possibly due to the presence of Tria and Tricia.  As far as him bein' overprotective is concerned, that does not provide him a valid reason to yell at Cera so much.  He even realizes he yells at her too much (mentioned in LBT III).  If he really wanted her to be okay 'cuz she's all he has left of his original family, he would try to pursue a warmer father/daughter relationship with her and not be so gruff toward her.  Anyone can see Cera still loves her father and looks up to him, but how much longer will that last if he keeps treating her the way he does <_<?

As for Tria, I'm not surprised she did not leave him.  My reasoning is 'cuz I think she had become fond of Cera, and after her talk with Cera, Tria probably understood Mr. Threehorn better and figured he was just bein' a dingdong at the time :rolleyes:.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I wouldn't exactly call Mr.Threehorn (or Topsy) aggressive and mean.  I've not seen The invasion of the tinysaurus, so can't pass judgement on his apparent behaviour but in the Great Time of Giving (III), Topsy was only acting as he saw what was right for survival thus to protect all the Great Valley's dinosaurs.  The significant phrase use in the 'Tough"song (I have a daughter, going to make sure we all get water enough, roughly like that) shows that he was only seeing the survival of all the dinosaurs.  Which is interesting to see, since not long ago (if we take the length of time during the movies) that segregation between the dinosaur species was quite enforced.  See how much one can change in living in a valley with other species of dinosaurs?:)

Edit:  Just to further that, I feel as though Topsy sees himself as a sort of protector of the Great Valley.  Who will act (as he did in the III movie) when he feels is important.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I agree. While Topsy's behavior in LBT III may be considered unfair and mean, I do feel he was doing the right thing by restricting the water supply so that everyone got some. They all had no idea when the water would return, and they had to preserve the water in anyway they could. That's all Topsy was doing. Sure he comes off as a jerk as he does it, but I feel his heart was in the right place. He was only trying to help.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I thought it out after watching the LBT III again.  Sadly, because he was aggressive albeit with the best intentions the other valley dinosaurs didn't see it that way and thought him cruel, unfair and to put it in Grandpa Longneck's words "Unreasonable".  

In a similar instance, when he takes Cera to escape from the flames brought on by the drought he did it with misguided intentions but only because he wanted to protect Cera.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I vote for LBT 11. Yes, Tops was a real jerk in second sequel, but killing the whole species of "possible threat"... That's like genocide.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Keep in mind that whether or not he would have actually done anything like that remains hypothetical.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
LBT 3. I can't judge on LBT 11 but judging from what I hear, he totally crossed the line on LBT 11.

Though one of his measures was totally justified (water rationing) and one of his measures was the result of sheer misguided thought. Some of the other things he did crossed the line (insulting other herds, accusing Littlefoot of wasting water, etc).

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.