The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

So I've installed Windows 7, but...

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
I upgraded from XP. Now, I was led to believe that this would wipe the drive clean, and then install 7, so I should back up my files. I did. But now, as I sit here, my drive is just as full as it was before the upgrade. Seems that the old XP install, rather than being deleted, was simply moved to a folder called Windows.old.

So why was I told to back up my files? Did I do something wrong? Can I clear up the 100+ gigabytes again by simply deleting this folder? What do I do? Help, I've only got 2 GBs left! :|

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
You're screwed.  You purchased the "upgrade" license.  The only thing you can do now is wipe it again with XP, then "upgrade" it again with Windows 7.  If you want to have it wipe out your computer, then you have to get an OEM copy that will do a fresh install.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
How big is it?  I'm not 100% sure what Windows.old contains.  It might contain your old OS just in case you want to roll back, but I think it contains things you selected to back up.  Just look inside it.  If there aren't any files that look like they're being used by Windows (such as .dll's and other types of system files), then I'd say delete it.

But Windows versions that have been upgraded are EXTREMELY unstable.  I'd format the computer with XP then "upgrade" to 7 if I were you.  You're gonna have to do it soon anyways once your computer goes down the toilet.  That'll be pretty soon seeing as it was "upgraded".

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You actually can just go and delete Windows.old.  All that folder contains is just your old stuff.  There are actually a number of things that Windows 7 saves.  However, it does end up being questionable what works and what doesn't.

A lot of the things you can find about what one from XP to 7 can go through can be found in the My Windows 7 Experience Topic where I talk about my own experience through it.

Anyways, since Windows.old just contains a number of your programs as they were when you upgraded to Windows 7 and you have gone through the trouble of putting the stuff back on through means of an external hard drive, installation discs and install.exe files, you can go ahead and delete the Windows.old folder.  You really don't need it and it only takes up space.

One thing I would highly recommend though is not only going online to find your drivers, but to also get out the CD for your motherboard.  I had to pull out my old motherboard CD after finding it after all this time.  All you have to do is run it and you should get a nice number of the drivers installed.  After that, just go online for the rest of them.

Still, even after all that, you will want to make sure that all of your programs can work for this.  Having the Pro version and so that you have Windows XP Mode will get most of them working.  Some may need on-line updates.  Other than that, there are those that just won't work because they were specifically designed for Windows XP. (Which is stupid in the first place.) You will have to look for ones that are designed for Windows 7 if that is the case. (Windows Vista versions should work just fine though.) Still, the Windows XP Mode will save you from a lot of problems.

Those are pretty much the best tips you'll get anywhere.

And this is all from someone who's been through it all.  Trust me, I know the struggle. ;)

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
when you load the windows 7 disc, the install feature allows you to select a custom installation. do that, and on the following page, click advanced at the bottom, and delete any and all partitions on the hard drive.

this will wipe EVERYTHING on the computer, allowing a fresh install. back up anything from the windows.old folder first though, or you will lose it.

this works on the upgrade and retail discs. i did the exact same thing with my upgrade disc

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
Done with all of this. Now the only problem I have is trying to remember which websites I had bookmarked, as I forgot to take note of them :\