The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Filling out forms?

Saft · 6 · 1101

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I find it hard to fill out forms.
I do not know how to fill it out properly, despite direction like:

Section 1- Your details
First name

Etc...

Despite the direction it's just confusing and I need help when it comes to it.  It makes me feel very inferior when I have to have help to fill out forms, while others can just fill them out with no problem.  

I was just wondering if other people have the same issues or have had similiar issues.  And if the latter, how were you able to overcome it?  Are there any 'tips' that you can give?
 :bang

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have a ton of trouble when it comes to filling out forms; you’re not alone at all. I think it’s an aspie thing. We just over process every little thing and it makes our minds run around in circles, never reaching the end. I too feel very inferior when, for example, I go to a doctor’s office and see kids filling out a form that totally goes over my head. Here is what I do: My father is a business man, who has tons of experience filling out all kinds of forms. First, I read all the questions and make note of which ones confuse me. Then, I call up my father and ask him about each of them. He explains them to me, I fill in the answers, and that is that. You could try calling your father. I’m pretty sure that a job like his requires a lot of form filling out, and I assume that, being away from them, they’ve gotten you a cellular phone of your own to use. If not, I would think that all places that require forms have some sort of phone to use. If your father is out of the question for any reason, usually the workers on duty at whatever place you are at are more than happy to explain things, provided you aren’t too shy to ask them.

I’ve tried out filling out over a hundred forms in my life. They just don’t seem to get any easier. We just can’t help but analyze things to death. For example, if you got a question asking where you live, you’d wonder if they meant your dorm or where your home is, right? Unless questions are extremely specific, we just come up with so many possibilities. Or, the question can be so specific that we find it confusing (like trying to understand the Envenom Rogue ability from World of Warcraft, heh heh). So don’t feel badly. This difficulty you’re having is not your fault. Staring at the paperwork, trying to figure it all out can give you a headache, believe me. So my best and only advice is to call or ask someone nearby what things mean. It may feel embarrassing, but just try thinking of this difficulty as a minor drawback to being gifted. That’s what I do, and it gives me the strength to ask questions over and over.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's a matter of practice. When I had to fill out a plea to be accepted into a student's dormitory two and a half years ago, I was overwhelmed at first with the amount of data they requested (welcome to Croatia, the bureaucratic state!). They required a bunch of documents too (place of residence, statehood, school grades, my brother's place of residence, my health situation, financial situation... ), so I was very nervous about missing a document or two. I had to ask an elder student for help. And everything went just fine. Today I have no problems filling out documents, only sometimes I have trouble with their bureaucratic language. But then, I can always ask the public servant to explain some things further.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Had to fill out a census form today.  Went well, considering that I had a bit of difficulty but called Dad up and we went through it step by step.  It's not always about practice.  I've had to do a lot of forms before and it still causes some issues for me.  Although I'm really going to have to find a way to learn how to actually do one without having someone to talk it through me step by step, because it makes me feel stupid..when that isn't the case.:(

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Edit: Deleted post.  Reason: because internet is stupid...

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Funny, I really like filling out forms. It just gives me a feeling of importance or something. It also feels like it makes a difference, I like that...
And speaking of which, I gotta fill out a job application for my first job (a barista at Starbucks. Not much, but it's a start.). Anyone have any hints?