The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 189115

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That scene is definitely from the press release, but it is flipped (reversed). I willl now look at the web archive for an announcement of LBT in 2002. I will edit this post if I find something.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Ah well. Can't say I'm surprised that they aired the DVD version. Atleast this rumour is known to be false now. I'm disappointed though, I admit to had dreamed about you saying you found it WAS the uncut version just before I woke up today XD.

Back to the drawing board, or atleast finding board

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So what options do we have left of ever seeing the uncut version?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Don't expect anything. I will continue my little private search and research, but I do not want to spread any rumours or give false hope. Just forget about the lost scenes. If I find something, I will be sure to put it on. If not, you will never hear about it. I'm not saying this because I'm selfish (like, picking the glory for finding the scenes), but because I'm not sure how much people trust me now (though I did post a disclaimer) and I don't want to involve other people in a potentially fruitless toil. Still, if anybody wants to help or stumbles upon some interesting info, please let me know. All my bets are on the 2002 airing now. I will thoroughly research everything concerning that airing, and if nothing comes out of that, I will cease my search for the missing scenes, as all my experience is limited to that particular September evening.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I will continue to trust you and If anything I am greatful for you spending your time trying to find this version. I think after this experience, I am now starting to really hate Steven Spielberg and George Lucas XD.

Personally, I am much rather interested in the scenes themselves, rather than the glory. I'm sure you feel the same

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you.:) I'm pretty sure Spielberg and Lucas didn't enjoy censoring a work of art either. The thing is, all of us have our hands tied, all of us have obligations to the people around us (especially to our bosses ;)). Maybe Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas didn't have much of a choice either. So don't hate them for that. Even Mr. Bluth doesn't hate them, at least not in public.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I guess you're right. But I wouldn't of minded as much if the original version was released later on as an extra on DVD or something. But instead it's pretty much lost forever. Maybe the series wouldn't have been as successful if it was PG and probably many of us wouldnt have seen it. I am still very disappointed. I'll get over it though, I still love the cut version :D

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: jansenov,May 22 2011 on  05:01 AM
Thank you.:) I'm pretty sure Spielberg and Lucas didn't enjoy censoring a work of art either. The thing is, all of us have our hands tied, all of us have obligations to the people around us (especially to our bosses ;)). Maybe Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas didn't have much of a choice either. So don't hate them for that. Even Mr. Bluth doesn't hate them, at least not in public.
Yeah, true enough. I mean, if they did not care about the cut scenes, I doubt they would have hired those child psychologists to analyse the footage to determine which bits they would have to cut. They would have just cut the bits they wanted without consultation.
It's just that Bluth is the one who fought most for the footage.

But to be honest, it's not like the cut scenes detract from the final cut of the film. It's still a beautiful, intense and awesome movie. It's just that the cut scenes and the original sequence of events may have made it even better.

But yes, given the implications of what was in those scenes, it seemed that they were cutting the bare minimum that they would have to cut to get a G rating. LIke Crasnex said, if it was a PG, it might not have been so popular.
 I know that if that wsa the case, I probably never would have seen it when I did (When I was about 6 in school along with the first 5 sequels, as part of some bizarre dinosaur-themed month)

But then again, the people who rate Bluth's movies do seem to let alot slide. Even though there was serious violence, audible swearing and visible blood in Secret of NIMH, it's somehow still a G!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Perhaps it is a good thing these scenes have been cut. Not for the sake of the movie but because it has given us sort of a "holy grail" the strive for which (along with the ocasional findings of images or clips from cut scenes) may in fact be more important and more rewarding to us LBT fans than an ultimate finding of all these materials would turn out to be.

BigMouth

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://huntingthepast.blogspot.com/
Well put Malte.  I don't really care if I ever see the cut scenes or not, the feeling of nostalgia I get watching it the way it was shown to me as a child is enough for me.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: BigMouth,May 22 2011 on  01:27 PM
Well put Malte.  I don't really care if I ever see the cut scenes or not, the feeling of nostalgia I get watching it the way it was shown to me as a child is enough for me.
Well thats true. If I were to watch the uncut version it would simply be bacause I wanted to see what Bluth was trying to do, not for nostalgic reasons. I would immagine that if people did find the uncut version and were watching it that it would make Bluth a happy man, and thats another reason why I would like to see it.

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it and the cut movie is the movie that gives me a nostalgia kick

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well yeah you at least have that. I just want to see it again the way I used to see it as a child, but that might just never happen.

Crasnex

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pikkutassu,May 23 2011 on  04:57 AM
Well put Malte.  I don't really care if I ever see the cut scenes or not, the feeling of nostalgia I get watching it the way it was shown to me as a child is enough for me.
Well yeah you at least have that. I just want to see it again the way I used to see it as a child, but that might just never happen.
So I assume you saw the uncut version?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's both a curse and a blessing that the first time Pikkutassu and I saw the original movie it was a different version than other people saw. True, it is highly unlikely that we are the only people who saw it (the main objection to the existence of an uncut version says: "If it was indeed aired years ago, it should have been available on the Internet by now"), but if you try to think about it in terms of statistics it is also rather unlikely that a child who saw that movie will be interested in it for years on, even less likely that he/she matures will go to the Internet to speak about it, and even less likely that he/she will run into an LBT community (especially if he/she doesn't speak English well!). Remember, out of millions of people who saw LBT less than 0.1% choose to join an LBT commnuity, and much less choose to be active members.

So, it is a miracle even the two of us appeared on the GOF. And each time either of us sees the movie we can't help but notice the things that are missing.

I can't speak for Pikkutassu on this, but it doesn't make me enjoy the movie any less though. OK, maybe a little bit.

BigMouth

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://huntingthepast.blogspot.com/
It's very true that the others who did see it lost interest in it by now.  I did for 14 years...  I wouldn't be surprised if almost no one recorded it, personally I recorded very few things on tv and those things I did weren't movies.  I owned all the movie I wanted to see.

Dilopho

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Is there a response from the Finnish TV station with the uncut movie?

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dilopho,May 30 2011 on  12:37 AM
Is there a response from the Finnish TV station with the uncut movie?
As of september 2010 they didn't have the rights... I sent another email, let's see if they'll respond.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
I saw that someone was looking for the VHS copy for something?
I have a copy if you guys are looking for something spaciffic?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah the members here are trying to find a uncut version of The Land Before Time Movie. I will search myself if I can find it.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ohhhh okay.
Is there a certain sceen? I kinda looked back but did'nt really see what it was.