The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

About the latest version of the game

action9000 · 945 · 78818

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Seriously, dude, how far do you think any of us would've gotten if we'd tried to do a project like this? You don't need to apologize, you're doing awesome.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Dec 13 2008 on  01:50 AM
Seriously, dude, how far do you think any of us would've gotten if we'd tried to do a project like this? You don't need to apologize, you're doing awesome.
Indeed.

I've been trying version 0.122 on the laptop. Selecting a character was hard as the mouse was hardly visable sometimes, but that's because its my slow laptop.

What I did notice is that there's a sheep in the game.....

Seriously, I didn't randomly enter that in paint or so. I just jumped out of the water and had a good laugh :p This happened any time i jumped out of the water at this low framerate.

Comments, Tim?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Believe it or not, that's not a bug (or eh..sheep :p) at all. :lol That was just an indicator I had the program write on the screen when passing through the water to make sure the code was flowing properly. :p I needed something long enough that I could see  it when it flashed up quickly. :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I think Mumbling has discovered the RPG's first ever Easter egg.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, there seems to be a small problem here.  I downloaded the latest version and after extracting the files, I double clicked the .exe file and I get 7 Runtime Errors.  First, it failed to get device caps.  Second, it failed to find valid stencil buffer.  Third, it was Unable to create device.  Fourth, it was Unable to setup 3D device.  Finally, the last three repeat and then it just goes back to the desktop as if nothing was done in the first place.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's curious.  Does that computer normally run directX 9 games properly?
What operating system are you running?  If you know the make/model of your video card, that would be useful, too.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have Windows XP lite SP3. (I can't thank LBTlover enough for giving me this.)

All I know about my graphics card is that it works with the PCI-Express x16 slot.  However, it is a good one and harder to overheat than my old one.

Furthermore, I hardly put ANY games onto this computer, if at all.  So I'm VERY unsure as to what games work on it.

Hmm... Maybe I should try it out on my Vista Laptop.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have Windows XP lite SP3.
Wonder if it's something to do with Lite giving you problems.  I've never heard of anyone having problems on XP if they just extract the .zip file and run the EXE.

Your video card should be fine; PCI-E x 16 will be modern enough for sure. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tried my Vista Laptop.  Game works on that one. :)

Oh, and I think I found the problem.  When I downloaded it, it showed to be a .zip.tgz file.  Could THAT have something to do with it?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
.zip.tgz file.
Probably, actually.  Sounds like something to do with your Windows defaulting to some open-archetecture file format for compression (Tar GZip, often used in Linux) or something, I don't really know what it's doing.  Try downloading

WinRAR onto your XP Lite machine and extract it with that.  See if it works any better. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
WinRAR didn't solve the problem.  Ended up with the same errors.  Looks like I can only play it on my Vista Laptop.  Oh well! :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
WinRAR didn't solve the problem. Ended up with the same errors.
veery odd.  If you want to look more into it, try running a different, reasonably modern game on that XP Lite computer (one that requires directX 9, if you can) and see what happens.  We can try to work out the problem from there.  I really wonder what XP Lite does to gaming, if anything.

Otherwise if it's not a big deal, glad to hear it works on your Vista machine.  I know someone who had problems getting it to work on his Vista computer, yet others who got it to work fine. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It works fine on my vista home basic.
Awesome. :)

Hey, just letting everyone know what I'm up to now: :)

Due to discoveries on how to improve performance, I'm working on converting the training ground map into higher-quality, doubling its resolution from 128x128 to 256x256, allowing for more precise hill and slope shapes with less jagged edges.  I'd like to push it to 512x512 if we can.  I'm still experimenting but 512x512 maps would look fantastic! :D  Even the 256 maps are looking a lot nicer than the old ones.  I'm just realizing that it's not the video that's slowing down the program in most cases; it's the code itself.  Therefore, we can push the video quality a bit more with no loss in speed. ;)

I'm also working on tweaking the shape of the training map so everything is accessible that's supposed to be accessible.  It will also be more user-friendly to move in and out of the water on the next release.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well nobody is reporting any major bugs and I think I know of most of the problems at the moment so I'm saying...

Good enough for now!  Time to move on! :p

We can come back to tweak everything perfectly later but it's functional now so I say we need to get some game features going! :D  Next project: the integration of character stats and the beginnings of the in-game interface, NPCs and NPC interaction and tasks.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And all that without the 3d characters 
Did ya hear that, jason? :p Did ya? :D
 :lol

Ahh, the power of cubes and random shapes!