The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anyone here ever read Tolkien?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, he was, and Elrond as well. which leads into immortal-life vs, mortal life. Elves can be killed so they are not completely immortal. Same goes with dragons..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes.  Many do not realize the Elrond does come from the first age so it's pretty old, but not as old as Galadriel nor anywhere as old as Cirdan.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Elrond is a half-elf so he was given a choice between a mortal lifespan or an immortal one. He chose immortality... his daughter Arwen chose mortality in order to live with Aragorn...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
and I read so did his sons.  He also has some Maia blood in him as well since I think Melain is an ancestor of his.  I'm not sure how many generations back.  I think it is on his father's side, though I may be wrong.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, the immortality is from his fathers side, way back  in the Elder days.. The LOTR takes place at the end of the Middle Days.... and the Younger Days I presume refer to the dominance of Men.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, as elves left middle earth, or faded & dwarves I think reduced in numbers till Duran the 7th I think, which will come at the end of dwarves or somesuch.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Durin the 7th, the 6th ruler of that name since Durin the DEathless back in the First Age. Dwarves themselves usually live a hundred years or so, although Dain lived into his 250s...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They can live a long while.  I'm not sure what is average for dwarves.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Most of them live into thier hundreds, some even to 200, but it was not common for dwarves by the late Third Age to live to 250. Dain was the exception..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess it fit with the fading that seemed to be the overall theme.  Each age was less then the one before.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
and that continued into the 4th age. Gimli died about 80 years after the 4th Age began.. or rather he left around that time with Legolas.. read into that what you will :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I read he wanted to see Galadriel one last time, and maybe not be separated from Legolas.  I've not read anywhere where dwarves were forbidden from in Valinor, though I guess having maybe Gandalf, Galadrile and maybe a few others thinking it may be ok it may have been easier for him.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
While dawrves were not forbidden, they had their own place if i recall correctly, and so exceptions had to be made for them to leave together..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
True, so maybe he went right to whatshisname's hall.  The one who made the dwarves, and I'd guess maybe the only one, maybe, to enter his hall alive.  Aule, not sure of his name.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Aume, I think his name was. Dwarves wait in a big hall, or so Thorin said to Bilbo as he was dying. "Now I go to sit beside my fathers.. until the world is renewed"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Supposedly they are going to help him to rebuild the world after the final battle.  I guess they just sit around and do nothing till then.  I wander what they'll do once the world is finished being rebuilt.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Probably join in a huge party with all the elves Hobbits and Men in the Undying lands.. :lol
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That sounds like it could be great.  I wonder who could drink who under the table.   :lol

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:lol: Yeah, that would be fun to see.. I wonder where dragons go when they die.. and where Gollum ended up.. I know Sauron was cast into the Void with Morgoth, his former master..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe where ever Saurman went when the wind from the west, if I recall the description, came in when he looked to the west after Wormtongue killed him.