The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

FIFA World Cup 2010

Dima02 · 29 · 2746

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can't believe that there hasn't been a topic on this yet. It's gonna start soon, and I'm sure that I won't be the only one watching.

What are your expectations and predictions?

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 Well, due to my classes at the university, I will not be able to see the inauguration ceremonies, but I'll try and do my best to keep up with the games my country's selection will play... well, after been classified just 1 point under brazil, Chile may give a surprise.... well, I can always dream :DD .

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
As much as I'd love my home nation to win, it's highly unlikely considering our last friendly against Japan before the world cup, we won 2-1 WITHOUT scoring any goals ourselves.  :bang  :lol That's right! We won coz Japan scored 2 own goals. Doesn't exactly invoke faith in the strength of your team when you receive news like this :DD  :p Anyways, I can see one of the Latino countries winning it be it Portugal, Spain, Brazil etc. I'd say Brazil since they have the best track record and some of the best players in the world. I'm just saying... :smile

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
^ Yeah, I'd vote for Brazil too. I missed the inaugural ceremony because of school, but I'm gonna watch that US vs. UK match tomorrow. It's gonna be epic!

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Just like I expected...

The US vs UK match results in a 1-1 tie. It was still pretty epic, nonetheless.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
USA! USA! USA!  I'm not much into soccer (or futball, depending on where you are I suppose) but I can't resist good international competition.  I've been watching ever match I can.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My bet goes to Spain. Why? About a week ago, I read an article online that the makers of some video game based on this sport ran a simulation of the World Cup in an attempt to predict what will happen. The result: Spain will win the final against Brazil, England and Germany will make it to the semifinals, and USA will only make it to the top 16 (I forget the name of that group, but it's not the quarterfinals, that's the top 8)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
^ Yeah, Spain does have an awesome goalie.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I've never liked soccer..at all..but I've watched a game a day for the past few days. From what I've seen so far, Germany has outclassed the other teams.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now here's a rather surprising outcome, Spain lost its first match against Switzerland, 0-1.

If I could change my vote in this poll, I would be doing that right now.

Edit: Why is Uruguay not on this poll? They just beat South Africa, 3-0.

- Berix

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
^ ran out of space. I'm really surprised that Brazil only beat North Korea 2-1.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 The bad news about Spain loosing it's match is that they will try to defeat my country's selection this monday. But that will not be easy task, hehehe. We came from our first victory and I know we'll make a good match.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Today, the match between USA and Slovenia ended in a tie, 2-2. I only managed to watch the last couple minutes of it, but I did hear that at halftime Slovenia was winning 2-0, so the U.S. made a great comeback. Also, the U.S. could have had a third goal, but the referee wouldn't allow it, a call that even the commentators who watched the replay disagreed with.

- Berix

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I want to kill that dam ref!  The US got robbed! :anger  :anger  :anger  :anger  :anger

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The good news for the U.S. team is that the match between England and Algeria ended in a tie, 0-0. The match between USA and Algeria is on Wednesday, and the U.S. seems to be in a good position to move on to the next round. The way I see it, only two outcomes can stop the U.S. from advancing: they lose the match with Algeria, or England wins their next match with Slovenia (I'm doubtful that either will happen). Even if both games tie, the U.S. will still advance.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Apparently, the calls that ref made are seen as so bad, that the ref's hometown has lost so much respect for him, he's practically "Public Enemy #1" there.

Ouch!  On top of this, whoever is in charge of the World Cup just might make sure the ref at hand is NEVER allowed to ref Soccer EVER again. (Even for little kids.)

Well, nice knowing ya, ref! (Not!!)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I decided to watch the last 30 minutes of the match between USA and Algeria, and I'm so glad I did. The score was tied 0-0 for nearly the entire game, then during the additional 4 minutes to the 90 minute game, USA scored a goal! I heard there was an earlier goal that wasn't counted, but that doesn't matter anymore. This also means that England beating Slovenia isn't something to worry about anymore, USA and England will be moving on to the Round of 16.

I just found out that, as the winner of Group C, USA's next match will be against Ghana on Saturday.  I'm not sure how they'll do, but if they do win, they will likely be against Uruguay in the quarter-finals. The way I see it, I doubt USA will make it as far as the semi-finals, but I won't call it impossible.

- Berix

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
England are singing praises after chanting hatred over the nation's performance the last couple of days. The 0-0 draw with Algeria saw the team booed off the pitch and players falling out with the manager. Even our star striker Wayne Rooney made a snidey comment to one of the cameras about "fan support" as they were jeered after that disappointing match. The 1-0 win over Slovenia has seen us through to the next round but lo and behold, our greatest rivals are in line with us for Sunday's game (like we never saw this one coming). Will be an interesting game for sure...I'm just glad I'm not working it this bloody time!  :lol

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I hope the British press will spare us the Stahlhelme this time. Sadly there had been some rather ugly scenes between Great Britain and Germany and their soccer fans because of what is supposed to be a game. I'm probably not enough of a soccer fan to understand the animosity between fans of different teams, but I do know that it is not a necessity. Some years ago (I think back then I even posted here about it because I was so impressed) there was a soccer game between the national teams of Germany and Scotland in my home town of Dortmund. Some 15000 Scotish fans came to watch it. It was one of the most beautiful examples of international understanding I have ever seen in my life. Before and after the game (which Scotland lost by 1:0 I think) fans from both teams were celebrating and fraternizing in the streets. They were singing together (no matter whether they knew the lyrics or not), sharing drinks, exchanging fan scarfs (Borrussia Dortmund scarfs for scarfs of the Glasgow Rangers or Celtic Glasgow), and just having an awesome time. The attitude after the game too was one of great sportsmanship. The Scots regretted they hadn't won of course but it didn't stop them from celebrating with the German fans many of whom said that they would not have begrudged such great guests for a victory. There was no vandalism, no rioting, nobody getting hurt... with the sheer number of fans I must say this really impressed me a lot.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: raga,Jun 19 2010 on  10:20 AM
I want to kill that dam ref!  The US got robbed! :anger  :anger  :anger  :anger  :anger
Hello:
 Same with a referee we want to kill that robbed our victory against Italy in France '98.
 Today is Chile's third match, this time against Spain.
                           VAMOS CHILE, QUE SE PUEDE!!!!!!!