The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First of all, I should mention that I made an error with my review of the recent new episode. While the episode synopsis identified that instrument Pinkie plays as a "zenithrash", the episode itself identified it as a "yovidaphone" (had to look it up in the MLP Wikia just to be sure I spelled it right). I've heard that the former name couldn't be used for legal reasons, so perhaps that synopsis was just never updated for the change.

Anyway, another Equestria Girls "choose your own ending" short is now on YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/07/rarity-investigates-case-of-bedazzled.html
And here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs2XsF-yffw
Spoiler: ShowHide
During rehearsal, the girls discover that one of the bedazzled boots, the most important prop of the play, has gone missing. Sunset is furious at Snips and Snails, since props were supposed to be their responsibility. Rarity decides to take on her detective persona (previously seen with her pony counterpart in a Season 5 episode) to solve the mystery of the missing boot, and must first decide who she will question.

Choose Pinkie Pie: Almost as soon as Rarity starts questioning, Pinkie immediately confesses, not to stealing the boot, but for accidentally putting a spoon she had used back into a frozen yogurt container. When Rarity finally manages to actually ask Pinkie about the missing boot, she just points out that it was in a nearby box buried under some other costumes.

Choose Trixie: Trixie and Rarity pretty much challenge each other through inner monologues. After a long period of time of just silently staring at each other, Trixie is about to walk out when she steps on some gem fragments. The trail leads to the missing boot with Spike inside it. Spike confesses that he took it because he just wanted to know what it would feel like to be part of the play.

Choose Applejack: Applejack mentions last seeing both boots near the costume rack, so Rarity checks it and discovers Maud Pie holding the missing boot. When Rarity asks why she took it, Maud just states some random gem facts, including the size of the world's largest of a certain type of gem, which leaves Rarity practically entranced with envy. Nobody even reacts when Sunset casually walks by and takes back the missing boot.

What makes this short particularly interesting is that the three options are different in not just who is questioned, but also in the cause behind the missing boot (and if you look closely, you'll also notice that Rarity is wearing a different outfit in each of the three options). For this one, I think Pinkie Pie was the best choice, because while it was only a rather okay ending, that still makes it better than the other two options, in my opinion (not to mention, the cause of the boot going missing seemed most plausible in this ending). The one with Trixie, I can understand why some would find it very amusing, but it's just not my kind of humor. As for Applejack, my least preferred option here, she herself had little to do in this case, Maud seemed to have virtually no motive to take that boot, and Rarity getting distracted like that was just pathetic.

I've heard that at least the next few episodes of the main series will be released early in Australia over the next few weeks. Since these are early releases and not leaks, I'll watch them only once so I won't have to worry about spoilers, but I'll wait until their intended release before I post my reviews on these episodes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:36:24 PM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Hmmm, this one was... Interesting.

I agree with the general consensus that Pinkie's friends could have handled the situation way better, but I don't really think that messed up the episode's message as badly as the ending. I like the thought that it's okay to be bad at something, since everyone's going to be bad at new things when they first start out, but it seems incredibly unrealistic to have the Yaks tell her she sounded great when she was obviously completely unskilled. I think it would have been better to have them encourage her to keep practicing, rather than to imply that her playing was already perfect just because she was having fun. It seemed like a huge cop-out to me. It's healthy to have fun practicing something, but it's no replacement for dedication and the careful curation of a skill.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

So, a new episode is airing tomorrow and it's best I put this up now.  This episode has already aired in Australia.  On top of that, we might have a double header, but I'm not sure.  I'll know for certain tomorrow.  For now, get the summary for Episode 14 below.

-------------
Season 8 Episode 14

Title: A Matter of Principals

Summary: When Twilight Sparkle leaves Starlight in charge of the School of Friendship, Discord is frustrated he wasn't picked for the job, and he does his best to make Starlight's new role impossible.
------------

Discord, why you so jelly? :D

I may or may not be able to post the live stream tomorrow.  It all depends if EqD posts it before I head off to work.  We'll see on this one.

Until then, see ya later! :wave

EDIT: Found it is a double-header.  Here's the summary for the 15th episode.

-------------
Season 8 Episode 15

Title: The Hearth's Warming Club

Summary: A prank-gone wrong ruins Hearth's Warming Eve preparations, and while Twilight tries to figure out which of her students is behind it, the students bond over shared memories of home.
-------------

Christmas in August.  How wonderful! :)

Anyways, no Live Stream links today.  Will post the online links after I get home from work.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:08:40 AM by pokeplayer984 »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Took some digging, but here we go!  The two episodes that aired today.

Season 8 Episode 14 - A Matter of Principals Online Version

Season 8 Episode 15 - The Hearth's Warming Club Online Version
Season 8 Episode 15 - The Hearth's Warming Club Online Version

Will watch them and give my reviews later today, hopefully.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To start things off, as usual, is this week's YouTube release of another Equestria Girls short.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/08/equestria-girls-all-worlds-off-stage.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7MZkw231cE
During rehearsal for the school play, there's a problem when Snips and Snails are unable to pull the backdrop fast enough for a smooth scene transition. Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie, and Micro Chips all offer possible solutions.

Choose Twilight Sparkle: Sunset believes Twilight will use her magical geode powers to telekinetically move the backdrop, but instead Twilight has built a robot perfectly designed for such a task. The robot extends two arms, one grasps onto a solid pipe on the wall and the other grasps onto the backdrop all the way across the stage, and then retracts those arms at just the right speed, proving to be a remarkable success.

Choose Micro Chips: For all the bragging Micro Chips does about being a genius, his solution here is to simply convince Bulk Biceps to haul the backdrop across the stage. Bulk Biceps easily hauls the backdrop, and Micro Chips explains that he was able to use pseudoscience to manipulate Bulk into doing it, though Bulk accidentally breaks one of the props while flexing his muscles.

Choose Pinkie Pie: Sunset is confused by Pinkie setting up a lot of balloons, and Pinkie practically refuses to elaborate on their use in her solution. In the next rehearsal, Pinkie reveals that she's made a whole new backdrop made entirely out of balloons, so all that's needed to move it across the stage is to simply switch on a giant fan.

For this one, I think Twilight Sparkle was the best choice, because I found it to be a remarkable demonstration that she's willing to and capable of not relying on her magic for most of her problems, and we saw another example of just how talented she really is when it comes to robotics. Micro Chips used a solution that I don't think you'd really have to be a genius to come up with, so that was some wasted potential there (though it was nice to have one of these secondary background characters be one of these options in these shorts). Pinkie Pie was my least favorite choice (though still rather good in my opinion) because while it was a rather ingenious solution, it wasn't the original intended backdrop. Also, one thing that all three of these options had in common was Snips and Snails getting a few words in (they complained about Twilight's robot "stealing their jobs", Snips' attempt at mocking Micro Chips gets him burned via scientific lecture, and Snails apparently has a crippling fear of balloons).

As for the episodes, it seems that Australia is going to be airing two of them every weekend, which means we could possibly see the end of the season just one month from now, over a month earlier than the US schedule. In other words, it looks like we may have another situation like what we had with the Canadian broadcast of the first half of Season 7. And just when we finally put all the leaks behind us. I remember in earlier seasons when it was rare for an episode to show before its intended US release for any reason at all, but now it seems the reverse has become true in which it is now a novelty for an episode's intended US release to be its first showing anywhere.

With that out of the way, onto my reviews. First, Episode 14...
Twilight has arranged a scavenger hunt for the students, but suddenly finds herself called by the Cutie Map, along with all five of her friends to a place so far away that it's at the edge of the map. Fortunately, Twilight had planned ahead for such a possibility and arranges for Starlight to fill in for her as head mare. As soon as the Main 6 leave, Discord suddenly shows up and acts as if he's automatically in charge of the school, despite Starlight and Spike pointing out that Twilight clearly put Starlight in charge.

The first day, Discord just goes ahead anyway and hires a bunch of poorly qualified teachers (Iron Will, Cranky Doodle Donkey, and a dragon sneeze tree) all of whom cause major problems. Starlight kicks Discord out of the school, and the next day hires some new substitute teachers (Trixie, Maud Pie, and Spitfire) not quite as good as the Main 6 but definitely better than Discord's picks. But again, Discord shows up and is a deliberate nuisance at every class he visits. When one of his antics risks serious harm to some of the students, Starlight puts her hoof down, and when Discord shrugs it off with a petty insult, Starlight uses a magic spell to banish him from the school grounds.

Later, the scavenger hunt finally gets underway, but again, Discord is around to deliberately cause trouble, this time being in ghost form to get around the banishing spell. Starlight gets things back under control again and calls out Discord... and apologizes to him, realizing that he felt left out and wanted to to be part of the school. Once Discord puts everything back to normal, Starlight agrees to hire him as an assistant, much to the displeasure of the students. However, the Main 6 return and it turns out Discord had faked their Cutie Map mission, so it turns out it was all a big setup all along, and Discord immediately loses his chance at involvement in the School of Friendship.

I have to say, this episode really put Discord in a bad light. The way I see it, the lesson of this episode is that if you feel left out and want involvement in something, don't be a huge jerk about it, just ask. In addition, I had completely expected Starlight to eventually lose her temper and use magic to get rid of Discord much to the shock of the students, though at least she was quick to assure them that all she did was banish him from school grounds. On a more positive note, we got to see more of the Young 6 (at this point, we can now say for sure that Gallus is a slacker and Ocellus is quite a bookworm). We even got a callback with Spike pointing out how terribly things went the last time he tried to fill in for Twilight.

And now for Episode 15...
The holidays have arrived, which means the students at the School of Friendship are about to leave for a two-week winter break. But just as everyone leaves the main room, a cloaked figure dumps a gooey mess onto the decorations and flees to the student housing area, where it is soon determined that the culprit could only be one of the Young 6. All of them deny doing anything wrong, so Twilight and Rainbow Dash have the Young 6 start cleaning while they question them one at a time. The consequences for the culprit will be to stay at the school over winter break for private lessons, and if none of them confess, all of them will have to stay and miss out on the holidays with their families.

As Twilight and Rainbow start questioning them, the Young 6 talk about the kind of holidays they each celebrate at home. Ocellus talks about Hearth Warming Eve being recently introduced to the Changelings, and although they managed to misinterpret just about every aspect of it, she's still proud of her society now having their own new traditions. Yona talks about a festival that (rather predictably) involves a lot of smashing stuff, but at least there's one part about doing good things for friends and family. Smolder mentions the closest thing dragons have to a holiday is where some dragons gather together and tell stories and whoever tells the best one wins a pile of gems, though what dragons consider great stories typically involve bad endings for the weak. Sandbar obviously celebrates Hearth's Warming with his family, though he doesn't really have much to share beyond the typical traditions. Silverstream explains a three-day celebration, the first day (and the original one-day version of the holiday) takes place in Seaquestria in honor of it protecting them from the Storm King, the second day takes place on Mount Aris in honor of their freedom from the Storm King, and the third day happens in both places to celebrate their unity, all finishing off with Queen Novo handing out gifts to everyone. Finally, Gallus mentions that the griffin holiday is actually little more than an excuse to barely tolerate each other.

With still nobody confessing, the Young 6 eventually start arguing with each other, until finally Gallus admits that it was him. Unlike the rest of them, he doesn't have any family at home, and with his friends being the closest he's ever had to such a thing, he decided to make that mess with the intent that cleaning it up would keep them together a little longer, but he never intended to ruin anyone's holiday. Twilight and Rainbow Dash overhear his apology, and although they're proud of him for being honest, he still has to face the consequences of staying at the school for private lessons. However, now aware of Gallus' situation at home, the rest of the Young 6 volunteer to stay at the school with him so they can all celebrate the holidays together.

What I really liked about this episode is not only learning about the holiday traditions among the other creatures, but also we got to see glimpses of the families of the Young 6. In previous episodes, we already met Silverstream's family, and we already heard that Smolder has an older brother. This time, we saw that Sandbar has his parents and a baby sister; Yona has an extended family of her parents, her grandparents, and a younger brother and sister; Ocellus presumably has her parents and two younger siblings; and Gallus has no family at all. In addition, I have to admit that the events of this episode definitely earned it's title (if you can recall a certain movie from the 80s). And it's nice that once everyone knew what Gallus has been missing out on his whole life, everyone was willing to pass on spending the holidays at home in order to give him a holiday celebration he could actually enjoy.

By the way, I'd like to mention I'm now willing to watch videos on Mega just as fine as on Sendvid. It turns out the issue I previously had with Mega was that, unlike Sendvid, you can't actually see how long you have to wait for it to finish buffering, so just leaving it paused for a while (around ten minutes by my guess) as soon as you start the video will be enough to prevent any lagging while watching it. (Just as well, since it seems the only truly reliable source for watching the US broadcast of these episodes prefers to upload exclusively to Mega.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 09:42:03 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
There's quite a lively dramatic reading community on YouTube dedicated to bringing pony fanfics to an audio level. I actually prefer listening to darkfics more than anything else. The well-written ones, anyway. I guess I have a attachment to the macabre. The following link is a good example of a pony darkfic done right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJESPtJ0keI&index=17&list=PLnqCBZacYIwKpHWn54TpnXadHeeaesqV0
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No, I have not gotten around to watching the episodes yet.  I'll get to them though.  From now on though, no more planning as to WHEN I watch the episodes.  Just be patient.  The reviews are coming.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

So here we are at last.  Here's my thoughts on the episodes.  Spoilers below.

Let's start with Episode 14.

You know, I think I understand where they were trying to go with Discord.  I mean, there's a reason the fandom sees him as a troll.  He wants to be included in things, even when the Mane 7 don't think it's a good idea.  So yeah, not surprised he felt left out.

What I'm surprised with though is that no one invited Discord to The School of Friendship in the first place.  You would think at the very least Fluttershy would during one of their tea meetings. (Or were those cancelled due to Fluttershy now having a teaching job?) Heck, Discord could have been a big help in the first two episodes of the season to take care of a certain racist unicorn now that I think about it.

Still, it's shocking how far he went.  All he had to do was ask and this whole bad episode could have been avoided.  On the bright side, maybe Discord will appear at The School of Friendship more.  Could be a lot of fun.

A bad episode, but maybe it'll cause good things to come in the future.  We'll have to see.

Off-Topic: ShowHide
Before I get to the next one, let me explain why I did a MEGA link in the first place for it.  It's because I was left with little choice.  At the time I posted the link, EqD only had a YouTube link, and you can guess how much I trust YouTube to keep the link up long enough.  No one had set up a SendVid link. (Not even the one I usually trust to have it up.) I see SendVid as the main place that pony episode videos should be uploaded.  Yes, it needs to convert them, but it's worth it.  There's very little buffering to deal with.  Not to mention that they'll stay up long enough for others to watch them.

Anyways, since there wasn't a SendVid link, I had to settle with a MEGA link I found in the comments of EqD (Which I'll remind you I'm trying to avoid after certain past events happened.) and make others suffer the bad amount of buffering.  They need to learn, MEGA is not that great for the audience.  They need to understand this.

So, yeah.  That's what happened.  Maybe I was a little impatient, as there is a SendVid link now, but I wanted to get it up as soon as possible.
Anyways, here's my thoughts on Episode 15.  Spoilers below.

You know, this episode was quite interesting and very world building.  We got to learn the traditions of the 5 races we were introduced to over the years.  The changelings messing up the Pony Traditions and making their own was a joy to watch.
 Smolder's story was nice to listen to until the ending. (Seriously, that ending is messed up.) The Yak holiday was predictable with having lots of smashing.  However, it's nice to see that they had something that didn't involve smashing added to it.  The Seapony/Hippogriff holiday I wish I got to know more about.  It's 3 days instead of one and they were all given the short version, but it feels like something was left out.  The griffon holiday doesn't have much.  Just them trying to be nicer to one another.

Gallus ruining all of the stuff was surprising.  However, they then go into his backstory.  Turns out, that old griffon we saw him with isn't really his grandfather.  You could argue that Gallus is the first orphan character of the show. (Scootaloo doesn't count!
 That's a fan-theory at best!) It's surprising this was brought up.

Then the other members of the Student Six decide to stay so that Gallus can know what it's like to have an actual holiday. (Although Smolder goes along with it begrudgingly.) I don't know how to feel about that.

On the one hand, it's nice that they are letting their friend spend the holidays with them.

On the other though, they get to miss out with their families, which is what the holidays is about.  I understand that he is forced to stay behind due to what he did, but at the very least, Twilight could have had him spend the holidays with her and made the rest go back to their families.  This way, he wouldn't feel left out of the holidays in the end.

So yeah, don't know where to go with that.

Good world-building episode, but the ending makes me feel mixed.

Next time, we have Starswirl returning.  Let's see how that goes.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

We have a new episode for the US tomorrow.  Get the summary for it below.

----------
Season 8 Episode 16

Title: Friendship University

Summary: When Twilight discovers there's another school of friendship, she and Rarity go to investigate and are shocked to discover that Twilight's idol and Pillar of Old Equestria, Starswirl the Bearded, is enrolled at Friendship U!
----------

Yep, Starswirl returns!  Let's see if he's improved since his debut.

Expect the Live Stream link tomorrow, provided EqD puts it up before I head to work.

See ya later! :wave
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 04:45:54 AM by pokeplayer984 »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

So, here's the link for the Live Stream for today's episode.

Season 8 Episode 16 - Friendship University Live Stream

Expect the online link when I get back from work.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Here's the link for the episode that aired in the US today.

Season 8 Episode 16 - Friendship University Online Version

I'll watch this and post my review when I can.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As usual, there's the next Equestria Girls short now available on YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/08/equestria-girls-constructive-criticism.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNYpPOiQBpI
Applejack is working alone on building the sets for the play. Sunset is concerned they might not be ready in time for the play later that week, but Applejack assures her that her philosophy of "measure twice and cut once" is worth the effort. Unfortunately, during their conversation, Applejack accidentally pounds a hammer against her hand. With her hand bandaged and advised by the nurse to not do any heavy work for the next few days, Applejack has no choice but to ask someone for assistance.

Choose Rainbow Dash: Applejack insists on Rainbow Dash paying very close attention to all the details in the blueprints, but rather predictably, Rainbow just goes ahead and speeds through the whole construction, despite Applejack's numerous protests. When the dust settles, the finished set isn't what Applejack asked for, but actually even better. It turns out that in Rainbow's haste, she had ended up taking instructions not from the blueprints but rather from the dreamboard Applejack had made for things she wanted on the set but knew she'd never have time to actually include. Though whatever respect Rainbow gets from Applejack is lost when she admits to finding Applejack's diary left open.

Choose Pinkie Pie: Pinkie needs to practice for her drum solo for the play, but she insists she can do that and help build the set at the same time. When Pinkie at one point in her practice session swaps out her drumsticks for a pair of hammers, Applejack realizes Pinkie's plan, so she guides her around the set and in almost no time, construction on the set is fully completed.

Choose Photo Finish: Almost immediately, Photo Finish insists on doing things entirely her way. Applejack is very confused by the explanation, and Photo Finish's argument of "look with your heart, not your eyes" does little help her make sense of it. When Photo Finish claims the set is complete, the stage initially looks completely empty, but then it turns out that she actually created the full set in the form of a laser display, which Applejack admits is rather impressive.

For this one, I think Rainbow Dash was the best choice, because she managed to finish building the set both quickly and with results even better than anticipated. Pinkie was also a good choice, as despite a rather unorthodox method, she rather quickly finished building the set with satisfactory results. Photo Finish, on the other hand, had one of those out there solutions that I don't think would really be practical at all. By the way, when you consider that this short was first released by Discovery Family back in December last year, this actually counts as the very first appearance of Nurse Redheart's human counterpart; all fans (myself included) were convinced since the very first movie that she would fill the role of school nurse at CHS, and now we finally got confirmation of that.

And here's my review of today's episode.
Twilight and Rarity are reading over some postcards sent by Starswirl the Bearded on his travels across Equestria when Cozy Glow comes in with the mail delivery, which includes fliers of some place called "Friendship University", which claims teaching friendship lessons in half the time. Curious, Twilight and Rarity head over to Las Pegasus to see it for themselves, and discover that this school is being run by none other than Flim and Flam. Naturally, Twilight and Rarity suspect a scam, but things get really complicated when Chancellor Neighsay (still obviously sticking to his ponies-only prejudice) shows up with plans to accredit that school. Even more unsettling for Twilight, one of the enrolled students turns out to be Starswirl himself, and apparently that's all Neightsay needs to immediately accredit Friendship University.

With Starswirl following the lesson he had previously learned of looking for the good in everyone, he is not so quick to distrust Flim and Flam, but Twilight remains convinced that they're up to no good. Rarity comes up with the idea of investigating undercover, and sets up herself and Twilight with disguises. While Rarity enrolls as a student named "Plainity", Twilight sneaks into the office for information. Unfortunately, Twilight fails to find anything suspicious, and worse, Flim and Flam see right through that pathetic disguise Rarity had given her, and they essentially blackmail her into stopping the investigation. When Twilight and Rarity meet up, Twilight is crestfallen and seriously considering giving up when Rarity casually mentions that while Friendship University has free tuition, she would need a lot of funds to afford all the worksheets she needs for the classes. They both quickly realize that it's the worksheets that form the scam, and soon discover that the only reason Starswirl never suspected it was because he was the only one given complete exemption from payments due to his status, while everypony else has to pay some insanely high fees.

Twilight comes up with a plan to expose the scam. She observes how Flim and Flam open their secret vault and overhears their plan to use the funds from the students to expand their resort complex, and while that forces them to take back their threat of blackmail, they do reveal that the lesson plans they used for the school are actually just a direct copy of the curriculum from Twilight's school, expect with half of the pages randomly torn out. Not only that, Rarity also overhears the conversation and reveals her true identity (although they're not really familiar with her anyway), and also reveals that she got Starswirl to also overhear their rotten plans. With no way out, Flim and Falm have no choice but to shut down Friendship University and completely refund all of the students. Although everything turns out alright in the end, Twilight is still left wondering how Flim and Flam actually managed to get their hooves on a copy of her school's guidebook in the first place.

While it was interesting to see Starswirl adapting quite well to modern Equestria, this episode didn't really focus on him all that much. Instead, it was all about Flim and Flam and their latest scam. What makes this one especially notable is that Neighsay didn't even bother looking into any of their business practices and essentially just gives them the all-clear just because Starswirl happened to be there. When you also consider that Friendship University's curriculum was literally a word-for-word copy of half the pages from Twilight's School of Friendship, that tells me Neighsay has essentially got quite a personal vendetta against Twilight. (I honestly can't help but draw some parallels with today's political environment.) While Flim and Flam have been foiled once more, I'm suspecting that there's a bigger conspiracy going on here, and we may not know for sure until the season finale.

(By the way, even though I really would prefer Sendvid, I just couldn't watch the one in that link because it was quickly obvious the audio was slightly lagging behind the video (though I'm sure that was probably due to recording issues rather than the site itself), so once again I'm glad that I can now consider Mega as a viable alternative.)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:15:06 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
So is the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic movie any good? I'm still a few seasons behind, but I'm catching up.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So is the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic movie any good? I'm still a few seasons behind, but I'm catching up.

It's hard to say.  There's both good and bad parts.  It's not a great movie.  In fact, "good" could be pushing it.  The main problem is pacing issues.  It is highly argued that this could have been a two-parter and been okay.  However, it does do quite a bit of world building for Equestria.  It even includes one species we had been waiting for... seaponies.  How that works, you might be surprised with.

There's also the problem of the villain.  One of the worst, IMO. (I'd put them in the level of Starlight and Sunset Shimmer.) So much build-up and boy does it come crashing down.  You have the second in command being the main star villain, which isn't that good to begin with, but when you get to the master, it's bad.  Just warning you there.

Despite this, best not to skip it as they talk about it in the latest season.  So, watch it purely for that and do your best to not expect something good.  That's as far as I would go.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So I have made a decision.  I have lost interest in watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic weekly.

Here's the deal.  I more enjoy binge watching a series.  I would rather wait until an entire season finishes and then watch it in as few sittings as possible.  Most of it on my TV attached to my computer.  Just sit on my couch and lose myself. (Until it's time for bed, of course.) It's difficult for me to watch something weekly. (The exceptions have been American Ninja Warrior and the new Ducktales.)

As such, I won't be doing reviews anymore.  I'm sorry, but this is for the best.

Now don't worry too much.  I'll make sure you can watch it.  I'll provide both MEGA and SendVid from now on.  SendVid will take a bit, but MEGA will be up minutes after I get home from work.

Live Stream posts will be a case by case basis.  This all depends on if EqD gets their post up before I head to work on Saturday.

Summary posts aren't going anywhere.  They will be posted the day before the episode airs.

So that's the way it'll go.  I know it sucks that my reviews have to go, but it's for the best.

So in the end, no reviews from me.  Sorry, but I've lost interest in doing it weekly.

That's all from me.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile

It's hard to say.  There's both good and bad parts.  It's not a great movie.  In fact, "good" could be pushing it.  The main problem is pacing issues.  It is highly argued that this could have been a two-parter and been okay.  However, it does do quite a bit of world building for Equestria.  It even includes one species we had been waiting for... seaponies.  How that works, you might be surprised with.

There's also the problem of the villain.  One of the worst, IMO. (I'd put them in the level of Starlight and Sunset Shimmer.) So much build-up and boy does it come crashing down.  You have the second in command being the main star villain, which isn't that good to begin with, but when you get to the master, it's bad.  Just warning you there.

Despite this, best not to skip it as they talk about it in the latest season.  So, watch it purely for that and do your best to not expect something good.  That's as far as I would go.
How unfortunate. I'll give the film a try, but my expectations will be set at "decent."

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
So it seems I'm now the only one who's willing to talk about each new episode. I'm not going to lie, this will make me feel a little lonely, but I do seem to recall one or two other members once mentioning that they do read my reviews, so I'll just continue with it.

Anyway, remember when I recently said how it's now become very rare for an episode's world premiere to be the American broadcast? Well, not only is that going to be true yet again for the rest of Season 8, but things look like they'll be especially crazy this time (according to what I've read on EqD). Compared to the American schedule which will have the finale presumably on October 13, Australia's been showing two new episodes each weekend (so the finale there will likely be September 8 & 9), but Sweden has accelerated their schedule so that the finale will be by the end of this month, and France has already released all but the last five episodes. It's almost like all the countries in the world are scrambling for the bragging rights of showing new episodes before the others. :wacko

If this madness continues, then I'll be quite relieved if the rumors of Season 9 being the final season of this show are true. Ending this show and starting a brand new one (the so-called G5) would make a great opportunity to address this issue, because while the ongoing series has been stuck in its one-per-week schedule that few others seem willing to follow, the new show could just adopt a new scheduling model by simply making each season available to stream all at once (which is what a lot of popular new shows seem to be doing these days). But that's just my opinion, so it's possible there may be a better solution to all of this.

Even with all of this madness going on, I still intend to review each of the remaining episodes on their intended American release, even if it means not reading other comments in the meantime to ensure my reviews are entirely my own thoughts.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Even though I'm not doing reviews anymore, I'll stick to doing everything else.  So here's the summary for tomorrow's episode.

-----------
Season 8 Episode 17

Title: The End in Friend

Summary: Rarity and Rainbow Dash begin to question why they are friends when they can't find anything they both like to do together.
-----------

Hmm... wasn't this the same plot summary for a different episode this season just with different names?  Nah!  Must be imagining things.

If things work out with EqD, expect the Live Stream link tomorrow.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE VERSION~

Here is the online version of the episode that aired today.  Hope you enjoy!

Season 8 Episode 17 - The End in Friend MEGA version

Season 8 Episode 17 - The End in Friend Yandesk Version

The first link is US Version while the second link is Australia.  I'm trying out this format so tell me how it goes.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First up, the next Equestria Girls short to become available on YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/08/equestria-girls-opening-night-cyoa-now.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4JpFJgF7k
The opening night of the school play has finally arrived. Rarity plays the lead role, whose parents (played by Twilight and Flash Sentry) want her to work in the coal mine like them, but she has dreams of being a famous dancer, and those dreams come true when the fairy boot mother (played by Rainbow Dash) provides her with diamond boots. Near the end of the play, Fluttershy is about to ring a bell before speaking her only line, but an accident backstage causes the bell to fall from its stand, prompting one of her friends to step in and help.

Choose Twilight Sparkle: Backstage, Sunset tries signaling to Twilight asking her to use her magic powers. Once Twilight finally understands the message, she telekinetically lifts the bell back into place, with Rainbow Dash covering for her by claiming in her role to be using her fairy boot mother magic. With the bell back in place, Fluttershy rings it and says her line.

Choose Applejack: Applejack asks for a costume backstage, but the only one available is an apple tree, so she quickly puts it on anyway and goes on stage, claiming to be brought to life by the fairy boot mother. Despite a little difficulty, Applejack manages to pick up the fallen bell and holds it up, allowing Fluttershy to ring it and say her line.

Choose Sunset Shimmer: Despite being stage director and not part of the cast, Sunset rushed onto the stage, forcing her to completely improvise an entire monologue, finishing it off by getting everyone to make the sound of ringing bells, allowing Fluttershy to finish it off by saying her line.

For this one, I think Twilight was the best choice, because it totally makes sense to me that Sunset would ask Twilight to use her magic to lift the bell back into place, and good work from Rainbow Dash too for improvising along with them without needing to be told to do so. Applejack was an okay choice, as I could see her improvising like that with the limited resources she had available. Sunset Shimmer, on the other hand, all I can say is that was perhaps my absolute least favorite ending of all of these shorts, as I found it to be so much cringe that I couldn't even pay attention to what she was trying to say. Seriously, her behavior in the Twilight ending was much more believable than the one with her alone. Anyway, one thing of note in this short is that the backdrop is pulled across the stage thanks to Twilight's robot, so it seems my preferred choice from a couple weeks ago is considered the canon version.

And now my review of this week's episode.
Rarity and Rainbow Dash have planned a day to spend some time with each other like good friends, but before they leave, Twilight briefly invites them to serve as an example in her class that even ponies with very different interests can still be friends. But when the students start asking for examples, Rarity and Rainbow find themselves struggling to think of much. When Starlight remarks that their friendship is something you'd have to see to understand, Twilight decides to take her students to observe their day together. Unfortunately, just about every activity goes bad; Rarity is too distracted sketching to play buckball, Rainbow is too bored while shopping, and their different reasons for exploring the gem cave end up clashing. Things between Rarity and Rainbow get so heated that they start to consider themselves no longer friends.

After Starlight listens to their issues with each other, she comes up with an idea to help them better understand each other. Rainbow loves reading Daring Do, and Rarity loves reading Shadow Spade, so Starlight recommends they read each others favorite book and later talk about them. Unfortunately, neither of them showed much interest in their assigned books and neither of them even bother to finish reading them. As they argue again, Starlight suddenly brings them back to the school, where Twilight says that the Amulet of Aurora, one of the gifted artifacts, has gone missing.

Despite the bitterness still between them, Rarity and Rainbow agree to work together to find it. Their widely different talents and interests end up working quite well to support each other (I'd list them all, but there's a lot of them, and I'm a little short on time this week). They eventually follow the trail through a secret tunnel back to the school where they find Spike had taken the artifact... as requested by Twilight. Even though the crisis was staged, the effort Rarity and Rainbow had made along the way really did help them to better appreciate their opposing interests. The two friends decide to finish their day together with ways of using the interests of the other to help with something of their own interest.

This was a rather interesting episode. First, we got callbacks to pretty much all of the previous times we saw a focus between Rarity and Rainbow (which turned out to be only twice in the entire series). Starlight had a brilliant idea of having them read each others favorite books to better understand each other, but too bad it didn't really work. I'll admit, I knew the whole search for the missing artifact was a setup right from the start, but I was okay with it, because it helped with the episode's message that sometimes, friends with very different interests need a little outside assistance to help them realize why they're friends in the first place. Also, there was that running gag where all of the students simultaneously took notes on everything they witnessed; good, bad, and ugly.

Next week will be the "official" premiere of Yakity-Sax, which I've already covered about a month ago, so I won't do an episode review next week, but I will still review the next Equestria Girls short. (If I remember correctly, next week's short will be the last of the "choose your own ending" series, then will be followed by the five parts of Rollercoaster of Friendship, and as far as I know that'll be the last of the new Equestria Girls content for now.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:39:03 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix