The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Visiting the Great Valley

Kor · 48 · 4968

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I was posting in the crazy cross over thread about the GOF going to the great valley but wondered how folks would really like it?  Would you likely be surprised by how it is, or maybe is not like in the movies and tv series?  Would you want to be your own self or a dinosaur or some sort?  Would you want to visit, or maybe live there, or live both there and in this world, moving between the two somehow?

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
interesting way to boast the launch of the Wishing Stone RP, Kor XD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks, thought it may add a little more to The Wishing Stone rp since some can do actual posts to the thread if they wish.  

I'd like to visit the valley, but not as a boring human, I'd prefer to be a dinosaur of some sort.  Not sure of the exact type.  Maybe not even an adult, maybe as a late teens, 16-19, or maybe as a young adult.    Not sure if I'd like it better then the real world.   Except my intestines would work ok, and I'd have perfect vision, among other things to enjoy, no neighbors playing loud music at times, ect.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
The thought is interesting, but the question is not as easy to decide as one might think in the first second. Most people always strive after what they don't have (which often can be a good thing) or which they can't possibly obtain (which may depress some people). However, if it was hypothetically possible that anyone of us was ever offered the possibility to change our lives permanently for a life in the Great Valley we ought to think very carefully about whether of not to accept that offer.
I daresay most of us are sort of "pampered" by the civilization we live in. Many of you have told about your problems with the society, but are you sure that those problems would not exist in the world of LBT as well? The Great Valley is not utopia. There are bullies, there is intolerance, there is some degree of racism, and Littlefoot and the others have often been faced with problems of a sort none of us ever had to deal with. How many of us have ever been exposed to hunger or thirst to the point where they might die of it? How many of you have ever been running from somebody who intended to kill and eat you?
As for the dangers we have seen LBT characters being exposed to, it is certainly nice to just watch them save and comfortably and always aware that none of the "good" LBT characters is going to be hurt. Being exposed to such dangers without such a reassuring certainty is definitely a totally different story. Many people dream about time travels and are thrilled at the idea of being given the "chance" to fight in a war of older times wearing shining armor and being perceived as heroes. These people often don't realize the reality of war and while the absence of war is certainly a point in favor of trading the Great Valley for our homes, the absence of situations which are much less pleasant to experience than being told about is not.
And is it not true that most of us would have a heart time not to touch a computer for a few weeks (let alone for the rest of your lives)? What about the people you would have to leave behind, what about your families?
I already mentioned the perils you would be exposed to in the land before time, but there are much more profane point you might want to consider before signing a permanent contract. Is there anyone here who is not a little uncomfortable at the idea of never enjoying the comfort of modern sanitary facilities (e.g. toilets) instead of some bush or whatever? And how thrilled are you of the idea of living on a diet of grass, and leaves, and perhaps some fruit for the rest of your live (or on insects and raw meat in case you are not interested in what the herbivores will think of you)? Perhaps the chance to take the form of a dinosaur would accommodate for some of these discomforts to some degree (assuming that you will be equipped with a stomach and a sense of taste better suited to deal with a dinosaur diet than our current stomachs and senses of taste are). But unless you have all memory to your previous live completely eradicated (and are you really ready to give up your personal identity like that?) I'm sure it will be quite a steep learning curve for anyone. What for example will you think when there is the first thunderstorm? Not many of us will have been in a real thunderstorm without some clothes and the chance to get at least into a tent within a few hours. There wouldn't be that comfort in the Great Valley. As I mentioned clothes before, in case you want to keep a human form in the Great Valley you ought to remember that your clothes won't last. The next clothing store is at least some 65 million years away (if we think of the land before time being our world before our time (as suggested in the introduction of the original movie)). And apart from that "problem" being the only human in the Great Valley might result in your being considered an oddity no matter what.
Here is yet another thing you should consider before you sign up for permanent residence in the Great Valley: Won't you become bored after a while?
Few of our members have ever even tried to think of what they would consider a an interesting land before time story within the limits set by the movies (that is without any crossing overs and elements not part of the land before time). How long would it take for all of us to get bored in a world with so much fewer possibilities than our modern world?

I fear that responses to this message may include the frequent reproach of me taking matters too serious. However, in this case I have to take it that serious to try to make it a discussion. This is also why my post is based on the assumption that we would have to trade our world for the Great Valley without any chance of return. If we could just walk in and out of the land before time just as we like it and without anything to care about I doubt many would not give it a try; so based on that assumption there would be little left to be discussed.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
uuh, eeh :huh: . Malte nothing against you, but I think sometimes your texts are to long.
huuu, that¥s much text ^^

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Many of my posts are longer than the average messages posted here. But is there any sentence in the message above which is so short of substance that I should have left it out?

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
When I was 12-14 years old, I always wished to be in the Great Valley. Having adventures with the gang. But I knew it was impossible to do so. Then I just thought, maybe I can be in the Great Valley in my dreams. It would be nice to be in the modern world at day and in the Great Valley at night. So many things you can do, what you can't in the modern world. But even that didn't worked. So when I was 17, I had another idea.
Drawing pictures of myself in the Great Valley (having more experience on drawing).
That's why I created "Sky" (who should be me) and always when I'm drawing a LBT picture with him, I'm feeling like I'm already in the Great Valley.

But isn't this forum a "Great Valley" in the modern world already?  :yes

@Malte
I don't think your post is too serious.
There are some points where you're right (didn't read the whole post tough, sorry).

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 17 2008 on  12:42 PM
Many of my posts are longer than the average messages posted here. But is there any sentence in the message above which is so short of substance that I should have left it out?
uuh, not really. :lol: . I must find time to read it all.  :rolleyes:

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
@Sky: It¥s very interesting how you described that. I thought about that in closely the same way and maybe I will draw an own character for me one day too.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
i would love to live in the great valley as a human. hey, since i'm a 2nd degree black belt, i would just beat up all the sharpteeth :lol

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 That is a very interesting idea, I'm sure wanted to go to the great valley some years ago, but right now I'm no 100% sure :P: .
 But since I have characters of my own, not only for LBT but for my own story as well, I can understand how can you be part of many worlds, using your imagination and your thoughts and feelings; even in dreams, you can manage to go there :^.^: .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Instead of just visiting the great valley how about living in both. The idea may sound odd but I got it yesterday.  Living in this world like normal.  When you go to sleep you wake up in the great valley in human or dino form, have a usual day.  When you go to sleep there you wake up in this world and only an average sleep period has passed, regardless of how much has passed while you were in the great valley.  And after a normal day you awaken in the great valley again.  Could be interesting, living in 2 worlds.  

I wonder if you'd remember the other life well, only some stuff here and there, or would it seem more like a recurring dream to you with only the current life seeming real, when both are.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Jan 17 2008 on  05:14 PM
Instead of just visiting the great valley how about living in both. The idea may sound odd but I got it yesterday.  Living in this world like normal.  When you go to sleep you wake up in the great valley in human or dino form, have a usual day.  When you go to sleep there you wake up in this world and only an average sleep period has passed, regardless of how much has passed while you were in the great valley.  And after a normal day you awaken in the great valley again.  Could be interesting, living in 2 worlds.  

I wonder if you'd remember the other life well, only some stuff here and there, or would it seem more like a recurring dream to you with only the current life seeming real, when both are.
Hmm. That's bizarre but REALLY interesting.

I'd rather just be able to fly over it and visit it as a "spirit" (inhabitants do not know I exist, I cannot interact with them, I cannot be injured, I cannot injure the inhabitants etc.)

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
In 2nd grade I daydreamed about being around the characters...got me picked on BADLY at school (I'm still picked on about stupid things...mostly snakes), but what's wrong with liking something?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can do what Lou Fraggigno (misspelled I know) he said when he was picked on at school he started lifting weights and when he got big they stopped.   Or just put up with it like I did, which I'll not say here since some will say it was the wrong thing to do, and no none of what I did was illegal, nor did anyone else get hurt physically, nor emotionally.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If I could move to the great valley, I most certainly would.  It would be hard to get protein though seeing as the dino's certainly wouldn't allow me to eat meat.  I already eat less meat than I should.  I would be myself.  I wouldn't like to be a dinosaur.  I don't think I could live in the great valley like the gang does though.  Being nude in pouring rain and snow is not appealing to me at all.  I would need at very least several good snow jackets and stuff and I would have to live in a cave.  Utilizing natural toilet facilities doesn't appeal to me either.  It'd sorta suck when the gang grew up though.  I'd still be the size I am now, perhaps an inch or two taller, but they'd be freaking a hundred feet taller!  Eating would be a slight problem.  I'd have to grow a garden of sorts, seeing as I probably couldn't eat treestars or other natural vegetation that the great valley has to offer.  Life in the great valley would sure be better than life here.  I mean, I wouldn't watch the land before time anymore, I'd live it! :D

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Would I like to actually go to the Great Valley, now this is an interesting thought. There's a lot of pros and cons to consider. I can't seem to decide for sure. :unsure:  At least this is nothing more than a thought.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As for protein, you can always hunt some crawlers and insects with Chomper.  Though edible plants may be hard, apart from maybe tree sweets and sweet bubbles.  It would depend if any edible plants that are around now existed then, though visiting would not be to bad.    As far as being small you could ride on some dino's backs, and I"m sure the big ones in the great valley know to watch for ones much smaller, like ones likely in dinotopia likely do also, some would be around human size, rainbowfaces and certain others like those perhaps.  Planting a garden would be likely a necessity and living in a cave like Chomper and Ruby do likely also.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
As for protein, you can always hunt some crawlers and insects with Chomper.

I'd die from malnutrition before I'd eat crawlers with chomper. :x

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am a rl example you can live off of only animal protein, or at least some folks can.    You could always experiment and figure out how to make a stone age or pre stone age bow and arrow or spear and spear throwing and leave the great valley and hunt sharp teeth.