The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ruby In the Jungle

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey all,

Alright I've decided that I will be doing a short story covering the days that Ruby, Chomper, Gentry (an eggstealer), Thylo (a spiketail) and Cera spend with the Jungle Fastrunners.  The purpose of this tale is not to 'cover' an oversight within the plot of Far Away Home, but rather to explore something the current timetable doesn't have room for me to.  I want to finish Far Away Home and I want to finish it soon (as in within 2 months) so naturally the bulk of this story is going to come after the major story is done.

As always I look forward to your reading, and your reviews as well should you choose to give one.  I am perfectly opent to both praise and criticism, so feel free to put both in your recounts.

All that aside, I'll start with the synopsis:

----------------------------

Synopsis:

After months of treking across flatlands, deserts, forests, and even being sucked into a whirlpool the half of the gang composed of Ruby, Chomper and Cera along with their new friends Gentry, Thylo and Glide have ended up in the Abyssal Jungle.  Up to this point Ruby has been the leader purely by initiative, but an apifany brought on by the wingtail Aizon has led her to pursue a higher purpose - to bring an end to Tyron's evil sharptooth empire.  Along the way they meet a Spikemouth named Siak, who carries them on towards the Jungle Runners... a powerful grouping of Fastrunners that could make all the difference as the world turns on itself and the ashes from the Black Mountain rain from the sky.

-----------------------------

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
How come nobody has posted anything here yet?  :angel

You know how I am interested in reading FAH related stories.  :lol I'm eager to read what happend there! :D
So, are you going to work on this after you have completed the main story or are you working on it every now and then?   :)

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I think I know the format I'm going to use in this story.  Ruby in the Jungle will be about 5-6 chapters with each one corresponding to a different character.  The idea is that they spend six days in the jungle with the runners there, and each day the story follows a different character from Ruby's side.

Day 1 - Ruby
Day 2 - Thylo
Day 3 - Gentry
Day 4 - Cera
Day 5 - Chomper
(Day 6 - Siak)

The reason why the last one is in brackets is because I'm not sure if i want to do it or not for length reasons... this is a short story after all! :angel

Caustizer

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
This sounds really interesting. Can't wait for the first chapter. :smile

Also, I've read short stories with more than six chapters, so I think six chapters is fine for a short story. :)

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmm... I would like to know more about Siak.  :) She's such an interesting character and I would like to know her more. :^.^:

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ruby In The Jungle:

Prologue:

Cloud beat his wings as he flew upon the dying winds of the twilight.  Down below in the Great Valley things were settling down into the night routine, with mothers putting their babies to bed and the lesser flyers carrying out their day ending calls.  Things were quiet and peaceful, just like they always were, and tonight there was not a cloud in the sky... at least not a white and puffy one anyway.

The dark blue wingtail tilted his wingtips slightly, and descended towards the place he was going on the outer edges of the valley.  He knew that if his dad found out about this, he was probably going to be scolded but Cloud was willing to take the chance… he just had to know!  Swirling in, the wingtail bolted his legs out and came in for a perfect landing just like his Uncle Glide had taught him to do.  All around him was a bit of a clearing with trees sporadically arrayed throughout the area like scales on a water swimmer.  In front lay the thing he had been looking for… Ruby’s nest.

The fastrunner was like a second mother to most of the other hatchlings, and early on Cloud had taken a liking to her for her unique personality and almost universal caring.  Even though she wasn’t as good at remembering the details as she once was, the fact that Ruby had lived through some of the greatest adventures that any dinosaur could claim to was more then reason enough to listen… and tonight Cloud had need of her wisdom.

“Ruby… Ruby are you there?” inquired Cloud, putting a hand briefly to his mouth to call out.

He received no response.

“Oh well I guess she’s just not here,” stated Cloud to himself, “a bit odd though, since it’s so late at night.  I wonder…”

Putting in a decent effort, Cloud rested his tongue on the roof of his mouth and did the best impression he could of Swiftwalker, her mate.

“I come,” Cloud imitated, and he couldn’t resist a chuckle at how accurate it was.

“Swifty!” announced Ruby as she stepped out of a bush a moderate distance away, “I’m so glad your back and safe.  The eggs have been so restless I… hey!”

Adult Ruby dawned a look of annoyance and put her hands on her hips.

“Cloud, I don’t know many times I have to tell you that making me think you’re someone else is not very nice.”

“Sorry,” admitted Cloud, “but, that story you told us all today… I want to know more.”

Ruby approached the small wingtail, and smiled as she stood right next to him.  She was almost double his height, and this reminded Cloud of why the other children liked her so much… she wasn’t utterly massive like the rest of their parents.  Wayne often felt insecure by how his mom tended to boss him and his dad around, and couldn’t do anything about it because she was ten times his size.  It was one of the things that brought the two of them together… the threehorn felt like he lived in his mom’s shadow… literally… while Cloud felt the same about his father thanks to the adventurous life Sky had lived prior to settling down in the Great Valley.  At times it made him envious too… it would be exciting to have an adventure of his own, without his dad Sky telling him how to do everything or Uncle Glide breathing down his neck about eating right and getting up early to practise fighting.

“Well what would you like to know?” questioned Ruby good-heartedly, “I already talked about when Siak talked about her past life, as well as meeting up with Chomper and his parents.  They were really really big too… a bit scary for little ones.”

“No it’s not that,” answered Cloud cautiously, “It’s just that I don’t understand how you became friends with the jungle runners so quickly… I mean from what I was told they are mean and stubborn, and they like to raid our nests sometimes.”

“Shhh!” pushed Ruby, putting a finger to her mouth.  Satisfied that Swiftwalker wasn’t around to hear it, she levelled with him.

“They aren’t mean or stubborn or anything like that.  They live their own way and sometimes it gets in the way of the wingtails, but that’s not bad.  Here in the Great Valley it’s not nice to dwell on such things.”

“But they cause loads of problems,” reasoned Cloud, “even Swiftwalker is at odds with a lot of the Great Valley for trying to steal eggs and pick off hatchlings.”

Ruby sighed.  With resentment of runners bred into wingtails like this, it was almost like there was no hope for extended peace between the two races.  If Cloud, Sky’s really smart son, talked like this… the other winglings would probably think the same.

“I have a story,” confessed Ruby, “it’s not one I like to tell a lot but it really means a lot to me, and I hope it means a lot to you.  It’s about how I came to like one of my jungle friends and eventually… mate… with him.”

Cloud smiled.  He loved hearing stories of things past, and sometimes it even filled him with wonder when he heard about his mom and dad and how they acted a long time ago.  It was strange to believe that Sky had been like him too once… after all his dad had been his dad forever.

“I’ll start just after Chomper, Thylo, Gentry, Siak and I first met the Jungle Runners.  Back then I had just met Swifty, and we exchanged first impressions…”

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Whoa! So you aren't waiting until Far Away Home is finished to start this story after all! :o

Good prologue. :yes (I liked the line about clouds in the sky at the end of the first paragraph. :lol) Is this supposed to take place after the gang's children have heard the full story told in FAH, or on one of the days between storytelling times, before they have actually reached the end?

Neat idea that the wingtails are good at mimicry. :lol Is Cloud's talent unusual, or do wingtails in general have the capacity for it?

So evidently Swiftwalker survives the events of Far Away Home (No clear word on Star, though… :unsure:). This spoiler isn't a particularly big deal to me, but I thought I'd point out that in the second chapter of FAH, adult Ruby is described as not having a mate or children. Some editing of that chapter might be in order.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pangaea,Jan 27 2011 on  11:30 PM
Whoa! So you aren't waiting until Far Away Home is finished to start this story after all! :o

Good prologue. :yes (I liked the line about clouds in the sky at the end of the first paragraph. :lol) Is this supposed to take place after the gang's children have heard the full story told in FAH, or on one of the days between storytelling times, before they have actually reached the end?

Neat idea that the wingtails are good at mimicry. :lol Is Cloud's talent unusual, or do wingtails in general have the capacity for it?

This story takes place a month or so after Sky finishes telling Far Away Home.

Cloud spends a long time thinking about it, and since he didn't hear the whole story (as well as being 'Clouded' in his thoughts by his upbringing in Wingtail Society) he seeks out Ruby to find out more.

The talent for Mimicry is completely unique to Cloud.  It is just one of the things about him that make him different from his father.

So evidently Swiftwalker survives the events of Far Away Home (No clear word on Star, though… :unsure:). This spoiler isn't a particularly big deal to me, but I thought I'd point out that in the second chapter of FAH, adult Ruby is described as not having a mate or children. Some editing of that chapter might be in order.

Perhaps something happens at the end of Far Away Home to the storytellers that has not been revealed yet. :angel

Caustizer

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh my god! Cloud is in it (well, only in the prologue but still...)! :wub

Hehe, I already knew about his unique talent and chuckled a little when Cloud actually tried to mimic Swiftwalker. :lol And with success too!   :DD

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Quote from: Caustizer,Jan 28 2011 on  08:12 AM

Perhaps something happens at the end of Far Away Home to the storytellers that has not been revealed yet. :angel
Ah…I didn't think of that. :oops If that can be considered a spoiler, I guess I walked right into it. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for not commenting earlier, I just kept forgetting to do so. Anyway, I have indeed read all of your fanfiction works. Though I have to admit that Far Away Home has been going on for so long that I'm starting to forget a few things (Don't worry, I don't blame you at all).

The reason I decided to comment in this one was because I wanted to say my thoughts on the jungle runners, specifically the way they talk. I find it rather amusing. It kind of reminds me of the Le-Matoran from Bionicle. :lol

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls