The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Desktop is back!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's cases like these that makes me glad I have my dad to handle all of my computer problems. As far as I'm aware, the only thing he couldn't fix on my computer was a problem with the clock having a tendency to reset itself every hour. I've gotten used to this problem and I don't even consider it an annoyance anymore. My computer is fine, but it doesn't need to be perfect.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Wow.  That's a simple problem.  Open the case and write down the number on the little coin battery on the board.  Then go to walmart and buy one. :rolleyes: It's easier than replacing a watch battery.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I officially have my Desktop back! :^.^: (Feels great typing on my Desktop keyboard again. :D)

Anyways, the fan I pointed out wasn't really the problem.  Now, the fan in the very back that's used to force out hot air, was severed.  They completely removed that.  My computer should still have good enough cooling conditions, but I should be looking into getting a new back fan just to be safe.  However, there was another problem apparently.  The noise was really the computer warning me that the power supply was in bad condition.  It had to be replaced.  That's what really cost me $100.00.

In the end, that's all I really paid for.  With tax, it came to about $107.00.

I don't have time to test the bios update as I need to head off to work now.

Just wanted to quickly report my computer being back, and right now, I'm happy with just that. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That's a bunch of BS.  When you PSU (power supply) is going bad, it's REALLY LOUD!!!  It sounds like a freaking jet that's taking off in your back yard.  Besides, most PSUs last at least 7 years.  That's how long the warranty is on them anyways.  You should try to install the 4gb now.  As I said before, putting in the 4gb is okay.  Only 3gb will recognize, but 3gb is better than 1/2gb!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the full 4 GB works.  It read the amount you said it would and Windows XP SP3 started up properly, mouse and keyboard work, all Drives workable, so they did put in a compatible BIOS update. :)

Well, maybe it was the power supply, because it's no longer making the noise with the new one in.  So maybe they were right, maybe not, we'll just see if the noise comes up again.

Anyways, everything's working perfectly at this point, so I bet there's nothing more that needs to be done now. :^.^:

The only really bad thing, they took too damn long. :angry:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, maybe it was the power supply, because it's no longer making the noise with the new one in. So maybe they were right, maybe not, we'll just see if the noise comes up again.

No.  I'm 100% convinced that it was the little $2 case fan that they replaced.  They thought you really knew your stuff so they justified the high price by saying that the PSU needed to be replaced.  What total a$$ holes.  You could have done what they did in less than 5 minutes. :angry: There's no excuse for them taking so long.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
True that there is no excuse, but I did get one out of them, which is still inexcusable.

They put you on a list is the main thing.  Even if it's something quick and easy, you have to wait until it is your computer's turn to get worked on.  On top of that, they do multitask themselves, working on up to 15 computers to one employee.

But seriously, do you think they had 100 computers in front of me?  I doubt it.  Lazy bums. -_-

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
On top of that, they do multitask themselves, working on up to 15 computers to one employee.

I do that as well, but I don't neglect computers in the process. :angry: They were making you pay while other peoples computers were serviced and yours was just sitting there. :mad