The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Appreciation Thread

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
So happy to see some fresh activity in one of the nicest threads on the forum. :)

I’m not sure what surprises me more: that it’s been two-and-a-half years since I last posted here, :blink: or that people are still saying good things about me even though I’ve been so inactive and useless for almost all of that time. :unsure:

On that note, to everyone on the forum who hasn’t completely given up on me; who considers me to be more than the hopelessly lost cause I think I am: thank you from the bottom of my heart.

And, of course, I want to thank Spazzy Sparky (FlipperBoidSkua) for last month’s adventure in San Diego and San Antonio. I’m so happy I got to meet you for real, and I had a fantastic time. :DD You’re just as fun and interesting in person as you are online. :lol Hopefully we’ll get to hang out again sometime very soon. :D

Quote from: Malte279,Jun 8 2013 on  07:24 AM
There are two other members with whom I have the same impression of often learning from them and who I would love to get to know better than I do so far. Fellow historian and expert especially on maritime and Napoleonic Age history Pterano and also Pangaea who I consider one of the most friendly and concerned persons I ever met on the GOF. I am sure I speak for many when I say that these qualities of yours are so much of a contribution to the GOF that you really should abandon all concerns about not doing enough for the community. :)
Thank you, Malte. I means a lot to me that you hold me in such high regard, even if I don’t think I deserve it.

Mind you, my biggest concerns aren’t so much that I’m not doing enough for the GOF as that I’m doing a poor job of handling and keeping up with the ongoing commitments I already have (namely the “In The Land Before Time” RP, and giving feedback to certain members).

Quote from: StrutEggStealer,Jun 10 2013 on  01:49 PM
Pangaea - I'm so nervous talking to him because I know how brilliant he is and just how random and sometimes manic I may sound, but I really appreciate just how patient and just how funny he is.
Thank you so much, Ruth. :^.^: Honestly, it feels unreal to me to be complimented like that, because I don’t think very highly of myself at all.

And also, how he showed me how to operate the topics around this place, appreciate all the help :DD
No problem. ;)

And thank you for asking me things! For almost two pages. I just hope I haven't scared you off :o
Don’t worry, you didn’t scare me off; I just couldn’t think of any more questions. :oops I’ll try to post some more, though.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd like to take some time to give out special thanks to some people here, as well as a few shoutouts.

First off, in no particular order, thanks to StrutEggStealer for the absolutely awesome inaugural pics of Norton she drew for my birthday! :DD That was very nice of her, and I love the work she did on them. :smile I always enjoyed the talks we've had off and on over the past few months, and find we have a lot in common and can carry on a conversation pretty well. :yes

Second, Malte279. He is well-read, well-spoken, and a member I have come to appreciate over the years. He stands up for his beliefs, and will always try to come up with good alternate viewpoints, even if those viewpoints might not be the most popular in discussion. He will lay his argument out, present clear evidence backing it up, and always makes sure to tell you why he feels the way he does about topics. I haven't spoken with him in awhile, but he's someone I always enjoy talking to whenever I do speak to him. :yes

Thirdly, Starfallraptor! A surprise edition! Thanks for making the "World of Furry" RP, as I've begun settling into it and it's the most fun I've had in an RP in a long time. I've been away from RPs for awhile, and it's just felt so great to finally get back into one and enjoy what I'm writing. I look forward to RPing with you more in the future!

Fourth, DarkHououmon. She's a great member and contributor to this site, and I always enjoy reading her posts and opinions. She isn't afraid to stand her ground and state what she thinks, and stands up against intolerance in a truly admirable way. It was fun meeting her in person too at MAGfest!

Finally, a special shoutout to Mumbling, Cancerian Tiger, somerandomfangirl, Ducky123, Chiletrek, Mr. Wonk, LBTDiclonius, Blitz,  Pangaea, Cyberlizard, and Kor. You're all very nice, considerate, and awesome people, and generally make the GoF a fun place to hang around, in my opinion. :) Some of you I know better offsite than I do onsite, but hey, that's no problem either. You contribute to this community and add a lot to it, so keep up the good work, everyone!

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Can I thank all of those that have kept this place alive and well for (almost) 10 years now? :D  That's basically everyone here, sorry if I'm a tad lazy to write paragraphs about everyone....some of whom I don't even know except for a username.

Seriously....write it down people....two months from now....October 12, 2003 - October 12, 2013 will make 10 years.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are quite a few people i want to note here
StarfallRaptor Starfall is an excellent rper, from my experience with him, and i consider him a friend on a personal level. he always has ideas for his characters, and when rping with him i try to work them in as much as possible.
JitteryDragon Our resident dragon has recently returned to the forum, and i am very glad to have him back, as his  quirky characters and overall hijinks were missed/
Belmont2500 For creating the Emyreil rp, and guiding the rp though a dangerous and action-packed world. and our skype chats are always informative, as those allow me to get a better understanding of  you, and vice versa.
Brekclub85 brek is someone who i have chatted with on yahoo for 3 years or so now, and he always has new ideas every night, whether its a comedy, adding in characters from tv shows, and solving mysteries in a Clue-style format
Kor another of my Skype chat regulars, he always listens to whatever i have to talk about, then gives ideas or suggestions.
Jared/Jrd89 jared is another poster i've gotten to know through Skype. while we may not agree on everything, our conversations always are civil and i appreciate his willingness to listen to some of my political ramblings..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Rhombus has joined the GOF less than two months ago, but already whenever I see he posted something I'm very much looking forward to read it. Your posts I have read so far have always been clear, interesting and well reasoned :)

The Chronicler, I have refered in other threads already to your kindness and to how much I appreciate your favor to me with regard to the sesquicentenial of the Civil War, but having refered to it elsewhere is absolutely no reason to not express my gratitude here too and also for your constant presence and positive activity in our community.

LettuceBacon&Tomato and Cancerian Tiger, I may sound repetitive for naming both of you together and both of you for very similar reasons after I have done so before. But since then both of you have continued to show the qualities of level-headedness in sensitive threads and your ability to respect the opinions of ofther while standing up for your own which have been pointed out by others as well. We don't have much contact outside the GOF, but if ever either of you decides to get a skype account I would very much enjoy a chat.

Speaking of chats, I am very glad you Darkhououmon and you Jansenov are being back on the chats again. I had missed you very much during the time when you hadn't been around there.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'd like to thank Malte and the other admins for having faith in me. Even when they had reason to doubt my character, they analyzed the facts and concluded that I had only good intentions (which was true, but they could have just taken action without double-checking.) All of them run such a tight and fair ship on our forum, and they've done so tirelessly for almost a decade. They've even implemented a forum section specifically for users to input ideas and vote on proposals, something I see very few other forums do. Thanks to each of you for making the Gang of Five the place it is.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I wish to thank FreckledOne, Jrd89, Justin1993, rhombus, somerandomfangirl, The Anonymous Person and (especially) Pangaea and Ducky123. They have given me much needed help, kindness and support, and I can't tell how I appreciate that. You all have shown the qualities of a truly good person, and you're making this world a happier place. :)

Big thanks to Bruton the Iquanadon for posting so many funny images in the Caption This section. You've done much to keep that section running.

Edit by Malte: I cut a line from this post that was attacking another member. Apart from it being generally against the rules I really think this is the very last thread in the GOF in which we want to see any personal attacks

Edit by MurMur: Too late, everyone has already read it. You can't hide the truth.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just want to give a quick thanks to Malte279 for the gift I got a few days ago (one of those tin LBT figures you often make, along with a handwritten letter). I honestly wasn't expecting to get anything in return for my (very late) gift from Gettysburg. Even though it's not exactly something I would share with my family (I'm still very hesitant about revealing my interests to them, despite how very understanding they are), I still appreciate the thought behind it. :yes

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
There are two members who I'd like to tell my appreciation :)

rhombus and bushwacked have been very active the last couple of months, not just in certain places but generally :) That's what the GoF needs to stay as active as it is nowadays :yes Also, I'm really happy that you two joined the new RP we plan to do soon (so I am about everyone who's joined) ;)

Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wish to thank StrutEggStealer, Ducky123, LoyfeCycleProtector, Chiletrek, Blais_13, jansenov, Malte279, Kor, and Mumbling for being so welcoming to me during my first few months here on the forum.  I was a bit apprehensive of joining an online forum but your encouraging words, helpful advice, and interesting conversation made me feel welcome on the Gang of Five.  I am grateful to all of you.

I would also like to give a special thanks to Ducky123 for coming up with the roleplay idea that is currently in the planning stages.  Ever since I read Brekclub85's fanfic "Sharptooth Valley" I was enamored with the idea of making (or rather commissioning, I have no talent in writing fiction) a fanfic based upon the premise of either Littlefoot or the entire gang being transformed into sharpteeth but still remembering their past lives and dealing with the repercussions of the change.  I never considered the idea of actually making a roleplay on the basis of the idea, so I was thrilled when Ducky announced his idea on the forum.

On that note, I would finally like to thank Brekclub85 for writing his excellent story, Sharptooth Valley.  Without that story I am uncertain if I ever would have thought of the idea of the gang turning into sharpteeth or mentioned it in the "LBT What If" topic and thus if Ducky's roleplay would ever have been conceptualized.  Thank you for the inspiration.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'd like to add that rhombus has had some incredibly detailed information on many current events that have really helped me understand some things in the real world. Particularly his information on Obamacare and American foreign affairs. Thanks for keeping a very informative attitude on such topics, all of your posts have been very appreciated :)

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'd just like to thank rhombus for taking the time to give me some advice about writing my paper, and for being a lot more helpful than my actual tutor :p

EDIT (Because I realise there are others I'd like to mention :)):

Thanks to Ducky123, Pterano and LettuceBacon&Tomato for being good fun to talk to on Skype and RP with - you guys are awesome  :D

Also, thanks to Serris and Nick22 for making Into The Black such an enjoyable role-play  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, appreciation time again :lol

I would like to let bushwacked & Pterano know, that I highly appreciate your friendship and the Rping in "The Anonymous Rex" :)

I also highly appreciate everybody who is still doing LBT-related things such as fanart and -fiction. In particular, Dalekdino (for his great humanized LBT drawings but also for his general LBT stuff), Dosu2Dinner (Venatione Venatus, "VV"), rhombus (The Seven Hunters) and of course everybody reading my stuff :D

Also a huge thanks to our admin team that is moderating the GoF despite having busied lives. You''re great! :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Likewise, I too would like to thank my new-found friends, Ducky123 and bushwacked. :yes Our chats are always a highlight of my afternoons/evenings now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the RPs we're involved in. :smile

Big thanks as well to the admin team for performing their jobs efficiently, fairly, and with aplomp in order to ensure our website is running smoothly and problems are kept to a minimum. :yes

(runner up)
(runner up)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Nick, Pterano, bushwacked, LB&T, Kor and the numerous others whom I I have RPed with.

Thank y'all for making the RP section come to life with dozens upon dozens of dazzling and intriguing new worlds.

Thank y'all for letting my creativity burn like the heart of a blue supergiant!

Rhombus and jansenev, thank y'all for your deep and wide breadth of knowledge with regards to foreign affairs.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
*bows deeply* Much obliged! And thank you for the invite into your awesome RP "Into the Black!"

(runner up)
(runner up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Just like to give a shoutout to rhombus and LettuceBacon&Tomato for reading and critiquing my cover letter last year. While I did not get the job in my cover letter, I DID still manage to land a job at a fairly large tour operator, and it's really been a dream come true so far, so thanks for the professional help guys. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'd like to thank Pterano for starting the Legend of the Sierra Negra Rp! It's a blast so far, and only continues to entertain^^ w00t!

And to Dosu2Dinner and Ducky123! You guys are always a riot on Skype, and I always look forward to chatting with you! I'm only sorry I haven't been on more often :(
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Aw, it was my pleasure, truly! *bows* And thank you for joining it! :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would like to thank CeraTheRed, vonboy, DarkHououmon, Cruncher96, The Chronicler, brekclub85, StrutEggStealer, and especially Ducky123 and jansenov for continuing to read and review my fanfiction, The Seven Hunters.  I am quite new at writing creatively and I greatly appreciate all of the constructive criticism and reviews that I have received.  The fact that others are reading and enjoying the story is what keeps me motivated to keep writing.  :yes  

Thank you all.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.