The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Futurama

vonboy · 20 · 2623

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
A new season of Futurama is starting in two days, so I just thought I'd start this topic now, to talk about these new episodes as they air.

Their premiering with two episodes on Thursday.

"Neutopia" - Looks...weird. The crew goes to a planet with a genderless monster. This monster is confused by what the crew calls "Gender wars" since he doesn't even know what a gender is. He'll put the crew through a bunch of test. It could be very funny, but I don't know yet. Looks like it's going to be a very dirty episode, like In A Gadda Da Leela was last year.

"Benderama" - I'm REALLY looking forward to this episode! The Professor has made a replicator that takes in any old useless matter, and makes 60% scale models of stuff. Bender used it to make copies of himself to do his work for him. Those two copies make their own copies, and so on and so forth. This is very dangerous to the crew, and the world, and more matter is consumed and turned into benders. Patton Oswalt is going to guest voice in this episode as well. I think this episode will be very exciting and funny!

Anyone else looking forward to the new season? I sure am! :DD
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well the fact you mentioned Patton Oswalt and mini Benders sounds like reason enough for me to start watching this show again. :DD Immediately caught my interest. XD

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I found this funny preview clip that features the character that Patton Oswalt voices, "Giant Unattractive Monster"  :lol

'Futurama': A giant Patton Oswalt unleashes his wrath on New New York -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
'Futurama': A giant Patton Oswalt unleashes his wrath on New New York -- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Ha! Do you have this clip by any chance? That sounds rather hilarious for him. XD :lol

Edit: So you do! *watches*

Double Edit: OK yeah, I think I'm gonna see this new season now. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Comedy Central has also been doing a countdown for a couple of months Here. For about the past week, they've been showing clips from various episodes. There's another one from Benderama there showing the Bender side of the plot. :lol
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I love Futurama and will definitely be watching the new season.. last season they had Bender and Amy in relationbship, that means the only one she hasn't had a relationship with at some point is hermes and Leela.. oh and the Professor
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My two favorite epsides from last season were The Late Philip J. Fry and The Prisoner of Benda. Look at those two when you get the chance, Pterano :DD
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hopefully this season will be among the best
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
OK, will do, when I get the chance. :DD

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Aight, time for my reviews of last nights new episodes.

Neutopia - Kind of what I expected. It's REALLY dirty. One thing I didn't expect is the plot. ...what was the plot? It kind of seemed like at the beginning it was "Oh no, we're bankrupt!". Then it was "OH no, we're crashed on a planet!" then "Oh no, Gender wars!" then "Oh yeah, we're bankrupt!" and finally "OH crap, we have 30 seconds left! let's wrap this up hastily!" It was very funny though. There was jokes around every corner, making me laugh the whole time I was wondering what the main conflict was. Actually, it kind of makes me think of "Ape Man" from PAST-O-RAMA, that Pterano just reviewed last night. It's definitely funny, but it's still kind of forgettable. you won't even remember what it was about, because you won't figure out what it's about in the first place. I'd give it a 6/10

Benderama - Seemed better to me. Plot wise, there was two main clonflicts. One was indefinitely duplicating benders, and the other was the "Giant Unattractive Monster". They both developed some in the first two acts, then they converged in the last act. This episode was also very funny, like the previous one was. This was a strange episode. Surprisingly, it was also kind of dirty, but I still like it better. Overall,this was a hilarious, weird episode with a okay plot. 7/10

let's see, next's week's episode is...

Ghost in the Machines - Apprently, Bender dies somehow, and his ghost haunts elerctronic devices and such things. Hmm, this could be a follow up episode to "Lethal Inspection" from last year, but I can't really tell yet.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I think I agree with vonboy's assessments. The first one, while absolutely hilarious, just seemed a little... frantic and random to me. It was sort of all over the place, like vonboy said, and while Futurama is certainly known for being random, they also generally have solid plots too with their episodes (which I love them for. They get RANDOM ideas and make a STRONG plot out of it), so this just seemed kind of... I dunno, a bit too out there? Oh duh, this one being "Neutopia" of course. I'd give it a 6/10 too.

I definitely liked Benderama better, as they did a much nicer job of tying in two seemingly unrelated plots. I felt it didn't have quite the punch of previous Futurama episodes I've seen, and I think it was one of those cases where the preview was unfortunately better than the actual episode, BUT, it wasn't bad, and Patton Oswalt being in it was a good casting choice I think. XD I'd go with 7/10 as well, as I felt that compared to other Futurama episodes, some of that "oomph" just wasn't there, but it didn't flop by any means, and I enjoyed it nonetheless.

(runner up)
(runner up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
One thing I LOVED about Benderama though was that "The Scary Door" segment :DD  I love all of those imaginary shows Futurama has made up over the years, like The Scary Door All My Curcuits , and all those commercials, like Glagnar's Human Rinds, Molten Boron, Slurm and Cash for Bones.

A different thing I'll bring up about this season is Comedy Central is deciding to show these episodes out of Production order, so these episodes are not in chronological order. "Neutopia" was the 7th episode produced for this season(Production Code 6ACV20), while "Benderama was the 4th(Production Code 6ACV17) . I kind of feel like they did that to put the crappy episodes in the front of the run, so the good ones can keep ratings up in the later half, when they usually start to fall (That's what happened last year with the Nielsen ratings.) So, I have the impression that this season is going to be getting better. Some of the later episodes sound like they'll be amazing!
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks to my dad's Netflix subscription, most of my family (particularly my sister :rolleyes: ) has been watching at lot of episodes of Futurama. I didn't have much interest at first, but whenever I would walk by the TV and see something about an episode that catches my interest, I decide to stick around to see the rest of the episode. I've got a few favorites in mind, but I don't know the names of any episode. My absolute favorite is the very first episode of the series, mostly because I like seeing how the cast came together.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I liked some of the more serious, sometimes even emotional eps, like "Jurassic Bark", "The Late Phillip J Fry", and "Luck of the Fryish" which are still hilarious at the same time.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Those are some of my more favorite episodes too, Brekclub. I love the ones that are both very emotional and very funny. I'd also add "The Devils hands are Idle Playthings", Roswell that Ends Well", "The Sting" and "Time Keeps on Slipping" to that list.

I was going to put my reviews of each new episode each week, but I'm always busy with something else at the time. So far, this season has been okay. The best one in my eyes so far has been "Law and Oracle", as it's paced very well, fleshes out a minor character that I really like, and it's hilarious. I'll try to see about writing some reviews up, as I'm 5 episodes behind right now :lol
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
That show is pretty awesome. I enjoy it a lot also.

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I love the hypnotoad!  :lol:  
His eyes are so mesmerizing

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, Comedy Central just cancelled Futurama. :cry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/22/f..._n_3131915.html

The episodes airing this summer will be the last run, at least until they get uncancelled for the 3rd time, that is. :lol

Anyone else here gonna catch this last run?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
There has been a new bit of Futurama content released. Not a new animated episode, but it's in the form of a podcast, about the length of two of the show's regular episodes, featuring all of the original voice actors, and written by some of the shows writers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxF1zjlEU-A&feature=youtu.be

It's really funny, includes some classic styled radio ads for things in the Futurama universe, and does something similar to the episode "Reincarnation", with the main gimmick being something that can't properly be represented in the chosen style/medium, just for the luls.

David X. Cohen said that this project was done to promote the new phone game, but that it basically took as much work as a normal episode would have taken, as far as writing it, table reading it, recording, and doing all the music and sound effect work for it. Everything but animating it, which they obviously didn't do, since it's a podcast.

He also said that he'd be into doing more audio only episodes like this, if there was enough interest, since they'd be much cheaper to make than animated for TV episodes.

Has anyone else had a chance to give this a listen? What do you think of it?
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'm honestly not overly fond of the shows' revival. I was more or less happy with the original conclusion it got.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf