The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Good morning everyone!  Here I am with my review on yesterday's episode!  Spoilers below!

If a step seems unnecessary to get a job done, it probably is.  A truth I've learned far too well in my life.  Twilight is one that needs to learn that as well it seems.  She has the bad habit of following a list to the tee.  Even the unnecessary steps.  It what made taking care of pigs so difficult for her.  I wouldn't be quick to call the whole scene unnecessary, because it helps to establish a problem Applejack has.

Breaking any bad habits you have can be difficult.  More so the ones you don't realize you have.  Apparently Applejack has bad habits that make her chores take longer than necessary.  Once her friends showed ways that were both simpler and faster, her chores took far less time.  This allowed her more time for other things.  Thus finally getting that spa date with Rarity after so long.

Speaking of the spa, it seemed that it too had a bad habit going on.  Being in the same old routine can sometimes make you miss important details.  In a business like a spa, it uses a lot of hot water.  If there is a leak in the pipe that goes unnoticed, it can bring everything to a halt.  You probably won't even notice it because you are just so busy to pay attention to the fact that there could be a problem.  Once the leak was fixed, everything flowed smoothly.  So much so that the one providing the hot towels for the customers could take a break with said customers. (Love the scene, but he freaking earned that break!)

Finally, with the spa, I noticed Bulk Biceps still working there.  He's still giving his special massage, which we now know involves stepping on the customer's back.  Geez!  Spike probably suffered more than I thought.

Oh, and it seems Rainbow Dash likes the spa more than she lets on.  Likely just went in for a massage one day and they roped her in with everything else.  Businesses tend to have a habit of doing that.  It's kind of their job to do that so you can spend more of your money there.  It seems Ponyville Spa is good at it.

It was a good episode that handled the subject of breaking bad habits well.  It also did it in a direction that's not expected when addressing said subject.  It was good, but not great.  However, it is quite solid.

Next up, we have Fluttershy's lazy brother coming for a visit.  Yep, we get to expand on Fluttershy's family finally.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Man so far third of the season has sucked but last two episodes redeemed it self

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Well, today we have something special!  Today, we get into the background of a certain Element of Kindness' family.  Get the summary below.

Summary: Fluttershy's lazy brother decides to live with her after their parents kick him out of the house.  Fluttershy chooses to help her brother get a job.

Well, time for some head-cannons to be shattered.  Let's enjoy the drama with some popcorn, shall we?

Get the link for the Live Streams below!

Season 6 Episode 11 - Flutter Brutter Live Stream

Yeah, they put a pun in the title.  Deal with it!

See ya after the episode for the online links! :wave

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retrorobby.com
If I may put my two cents in about this show. I would just like to say that I have watched a couple of seasons of My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic.

The show itself is petty good. There a lot of good lessons kids can learn about situations that happen in real life too. Plus adults too.

I mostly watched it to see why it was so popular and now I can understand why.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Well, we have a few new things for this episode!  At least one of which I don't like!  I think a number of you can guess one of them!

Links for the episode are below!

Season 6 Episode 11 - Flutter Brutter Dailymotion Version

Season 6 Episode 11 - Flutter Brutter YouTube Version

See ya tomorrow for my review!

See ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes this episode was about family abusing your kindness. And Fluttershy's brother was a horrible character. The way he treated his sister and used her was just painful to see. The episode it self was okay and pretty decent. I liked how Fluttershy was very firm with her useless brother. And I liked how she stood up to him when her own parents couldn't stand up towards him. And the part where she said a not so bad word was very funny I laughed very hard. I liked how RainbowDash and Fluttershy gave him another chance even tho he didn't deserve it. And of course the song was as always very good and enjoyable to listen to. So I thought the episode was good and the lesson in the episode was well told and thought out.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
And with this episode, we finally know what Fluttershy's family is like (which now leaves only Rainbow Dash with at least some mystery to her family). Her parents are both rather similar to her (or at least what Fluttershy was like way back at the beginning of the series) particularly in being very kind, soft-spoken, and almost no assertiveness. Her brother Zephyr Breeze on the other hand is rather arrogant, obnoxious, sloppy, completely ignorant of the feelings of others, and basically a compulsive quitter.

Since Rainbow Dash has been best friends with Fluttershy for a long time, I knew she had to be already familiar with her family, though based on the conversation with Pinkie Pie and Applejack, it seems the rest of their friends are also at least somewhat familiar with them (unlike the case with Shining Armor when he first appeared on the show).

(I'd like to point out that I had totally hoped that Fluttershy's brother would be younger than her, and I'm glad I was right. Among the rest of the main cast, we've already got dynamics of older sisters, younger sisters, and older brothers, but not a younger brother, so I think it's great that all the bases have finally been covered, so to speak.)

Now for the episode itself. It seems that Zephyr Breeze has moved back in with his parents many times before already, since everyone involved seems to regard it as a usual occurrence. What finally changes things this time is Fluttershy's character development combined with some advice from her friends. And when Zephyr moves in with Fluttershy, she understands right away how much a problem this is, and immediately asks some of her friends to help out. They each give him a very simple task, yet he somehow makes excuses to not do them (though we never really find out what super-simple task Rainbow Dash had tried to make him do at Wonderbolts headquarters). Speaking of Rainbow Dash, I liked the running gag where Zephyr Breeze is somehow convinced that Rainbow Dash is smitten with him, but we can all see that's clearly not the case. I had not expected a song to be in this episode, but either way, at least now Zephyr Breeze is finally starting to take his first steps to improving himself (though he still needs to work on finding a home for himself).

On a more personal note, I must confess that I currently still have trouble figuring out what to do with my life, so I was particularly intrigued after first reading the synopsis how this episode would handle such a subject. Even though I understand some of my flaws, I will say that they are nowhere nearly as extreme as the case with Zephyr Breeze. I may be rather hesitant about working on new tasks, but at least in my case, all I really need is a bit of guidance to get me started and I can handle the rest on my own. I'm not sure if people as ridiculously lazy as Zephyr Breeze actually exist, but either way, I guess I'm a little relieved that, as bad as my shortcomings may be, they are nowhere nearly as terrible as they may be with other people.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

It's hard for me to convey my feelings on the latest episode.  It's a simple "I want to hate it but can't" situation.  Get the spoiler version below.

You know, I've had my share of hated characters in the MLPverse.  There's Diamond Tiara, Gilda, Grumble, Flim & Flam, Trixie, Lightning Dust, Rara's Manager, (Refuse to remember his name.) etc.  We can now add Zephyr Breeze to that list.  Then again, the writers did everything for me to hate him (I had my breaking point BEFORE he broke his father's cloud collection.) and I can see that I'm not alone here.

He gets kicked out of his parents' home by Fluttershy herself because her mom and dad don't have a decent backbone.  When Zephyr moves in with Fluttershy, she already knows it's going to be a problem, so she immediately gets her friends to give him a job.  It doesn't go well because he's super lazy and has others do the work for him.  He even ends up getting a lightning bolt on him, courtesy of Rainbow Dash. (And that was the one we didn't get to see.)

The main problem with this episode is that he is the main focus.  It centers around a character whom you have little to no interest in enjoying.  Every second he is around you want to do horrible unspeakable things to him and a judge and jury would probably allow you to get away with it because they feel the same way.  It also feels quite rewarding when he gets what's coming to him when he's in The Everfree Forest. (How he wasn't killed yet in there is beyond me.)

Like the big sister she is though, Fluttershy helps him get back onto his feet when he is at his lowest point because that's what family does.  After that, unexpected song with him doing his calling the right way.  It was a good song, but not that great.  He then passes his classes and graduates. (Did we have a 4-year time skip here or was his classes much shorter?)

So, with all the low points in this episode, why can't I hate it?  Because it does everything right.  It tells the story and lesson well.  It has some cringe worthy moments, but also some great ones.

A favorite gag of everyone, myself included, is how Zephyr believes that Rainbow is smitten with him and the reactions she gives.  I know it's most likely a crush that Zephyr has, but Rainbow does not return those feelings period.  I can, however, expect the fandom to give us the Rainbow & Zephyr fics we don't need.

It's a good episode, but I likely won't watch it again just because of Zephyr.

Next week, we have Rarity and Pinkie Pie together in an episode.  It's also a Cutie Map episode!  Yep!  The map returns next week!

See ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't he was a god awful character hope we never see him again

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Another Saturday, another day of pony!  Today is a special treat as we have a Cutie Map Episode!  Get the summary below!

Summary: Pinkie and Rarity are summoned by the map to Canterlot.  There, a father and daughter have a strained relationship as they have trouble keep their restaurant afloat.

This should get interesting.  Get the link for the Live Streams below!

Season 6 Episode 12 - Spice up Your Life Live Streams

See ya after the episode for the online post! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
So it looks like the reason we didn't see any map missions until now is because Starlight's time-traveling shenanigans ended up somehow disabling the map, and it's only now that she and Twilight have figure out how to fix it.

So Rarity and Pinkie Pie go to Canterlot and find a street where almost every restaurant is practically identical, with the one obvious exception being the Indian themed "Tasty Treat". (I personally am quite pleased to see another real world culture included as part of Equestria, even though the homeland of this father and daughter is never mentioned by name.)

This episode also had a rather interesting lesson: don't let the opinions of one particular critic dictate how you should do things, and instead let your own specialties and uniqueness speak for itself. What really allowed Rarity and Pinkie Pie to succeed in their map mission was not just convincing customers that Tasty Treat is a good restaurant, but also convincing the other restaurant owners on that street to forget about striving for some arbitrary rating and instead go back to what they were happy with.

What I think is interesting is how this map mission differed from those of the previous season. For each pair, you had one pony who seemed like an obvious choice for the place in question (Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle), and the other pony seemed less obvious yet turned out to be the one who understood the key to completing the mission (Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Fluttershy). This time, however, both Rarity and Pinkie Pie failed to do what they believed was right, and once they realized what they did wrong, they then swap tasks and receive much better results.

(Oh, and with this episode focusing on saving a restaurant, you might expect to see a pony reference to Gordon Ramsey. Well, just look inside the packed restaurant near the end of the episode and you'll see him sitting in the far corner.)

(end spoilers)

Personally, I welcome the mid-season break, as it'll give me more time to do other things I'm also interested in.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The final episode before the long hiatus was actually good for once. The writer has made poor episodes so far but this one was good. I liked how it was a Kitchen Nightmare type episide. Even Gordon Ramsey pony made a cameo witch I thought was a pretty good touch. The moral of the episode was good. The way annoying brat rarity judge the Indian restaurant because of there no hoof rating was really rude and very judgemental. But good for Pinkie Pie for ignoring that and she loved the food. So moral of the episode is don't change your cooking just because so rich snotty food critic pony didn't like your Cooking before. And the song was different but good. I liked the background music choice they used for it a lot. Overall I liked the episode it was nice homage to all the celebrity chefs out there.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Took me a bit with how I wanted to express myself with this episode.  It was good, but Rarity showed why she's at the bottom of my list for the main cast.  Yes, that includes Starlight, whom was at the bottom just for her backstory.  That really says something doesn't it?  I'll put one thing in spoilers below.

Zesty is NOT a food critic.  She rates the restaurants on 3 things.  Cuisine, decor and presentation.  She rates it on the type of food, the decor of the restaurant and the presentation of the food.  She doesn't rate it on how the food tastes.  One of THE most important factors of food. (Only ones that rival that are it looking pleasing and that it doesn't poison you.) That right there should be a red flag as to how bad the food is at Restaurant Row.  When you are getting ratings for a restaurant, make sure to check their background.  If they are not rating on taste, that's a problem.  Zesty was the actual problem of Canterlot restaurants.  She's not a food critic and she has no business calling herself one.  Reminding the other restaurant owners of Restaurant Row of one of THE most important factors of food will change the place forever and completely destroy Zesty's reputation.

The song was entertaining, but boy did they reuse one animation three times.  That was the only really annoying part of it.  Other then that, it was good.

Save for that rant I had to put in, good episode.  Now for the hiatus.  I hate hiatuses. x(cera

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I don't care anymore you shouldn't either. We all should be use to hiatus's by now. But this does give us time to watch other stuff and do other things.