The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
This has definitely become one of my favorite episodes of all. As I've said before, time travel has always fascinated me, and I really liked seeing all the alternate futures that were being created with each loop to the past. And at the end of it all, there is now ultimately almost no major changes to the show, aside from possibly a new character to the cast in the form of Starlight Glimmer. Not since season 1 or 2 has there been a finale that stuck so close to the status quo. (Season 3 had Twilight become an alicorn, and season 4 had the library destroyed and a new castle created, though considering that at the start of season 3 we had the sudden return of the Crystal Empire, I'm tempted to say that it was only between seasons 1 and 2 that things mostly stayed the same, so we'll see if that'll be the case once season 6 starts.)

Speaking of Starlight, I'm honestly quite surprised that there's so much hatred for her here. Even though I kind of expected her to ultimately end up reformed, I actually like this. I suppose every season finale lately seems to come with a big controversy: alicorn Twilight after season 3, the loss of Golden Oak Library after season 4, and now Starlight's reformation in season 5. I had accepted the big changes of the previous seasons, and I will still do the same for this one.

To be honest, I actually see a lot in common between Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer. Both of them once had evil intentions, but thanks to the actions of Princess Twilight, they have both been shown that there was a better way. (In fact, near the end of this episode when Starlight hesitantly accepted Twilight's hoof in friendship, I was immediately reminded of the ending of Friendship Games, when human Twilight hesitantly accepted Sunset's hand in friendship.) I recall that it wasn't until after Rainbow Rocks when people started to appreciate Sunset Shimmer as more than just a former bad guy, so I'm confident that, given enough time, fans will warm up to Starlight Glimmer as well.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Recently I completed proofreading and editing my first MLP fanfiction, "Lessons in Quirks".
If anyone would be interested in reading it, you can find it either on Fimfiction or as a PDF File under this link.
I want to thank Rocking Scorpion and The Chronicler very much for their feedback and constructive criticism :)  
I would be very interested in any feedback in case you (anyone interested) decided to read it :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Note: The following is only speculation as to when the next season begins.  DO NOT SEE IT AS OFFICIAL, BECAUSE IT'S NOT!

Without further ado, here's the link for the prediction.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/01/seas...peculation.html

If this is true, April will be a busy month for me.

See ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hasbro has just released a video of the upcoming episode that features Shining Armor and Cadence's new baby.  It only has the voice overs and has yet to have music and sound effects added, but here it is.

Be prepared for quite a shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bWMnF2LT-Q

Oh, and as for the name... Flurry Heart

I'll give my reaction after you have watched it and responded here.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
It's already been said what the baby's name is: Flurry Heart. I do wish they had gone with Skyla though. Flurry Heart's okay but Skyla's a much better name to me.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Given the many alusions to Greek mythology in MLP it might have been a little ill boding to go with the name Skyla. It sounds rather similar to Scylla, a name that appears twice in Greek mythology. One of these Scyllas was a sea monster which (among other) killed several of Ullysses men while the other (in our context less amicable) Scylla was a princess who betrayed and caused the death of her own father :blink:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sounds like MPL might be getting more hardcore if that's the case.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So with season six coming soon, what are some things you guys are hoping to see in it?

Two things I want from season six are a scene with Bulk Biceps speaking normally and it turns out he's got a British accent. I don't know why but I just picture him having a really sophisticated sounding voice when he isn't shouting.

I also hope we get an episode with Button Mash and the Cutie Mark Crusaders trying to help him get his Cutie Mark. Since the CMC are supposedly going to be helping other ponies get their marks now, I think it'd be pretty cool to have them help some of the more minor foals like Button, Pipsqueak, Dinky, etc. get their Cutie Marks.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^I think they might try to avoid giving Button an actual role beyond being a background.  Especially since giving him an actual role would trigger a few fans because of the whole "Button Mash Adventures Shenanigans".  If you don't know about that, be glad you don't.

As for me, I would just want them to get rid of Starlight Glimmer at this point.  The show FAILED with trying to redeem her.  They made her change of heart be quite unrealistic.  At this point, they are better off just having her say goodbye to the six, walk off-screen and we all pretend she never existed.  End of discussion and I will NOT go further into this, so don't bother.

Beyond that, I do know what the planned theme for Season 6 is.  They want to give us more info on the world of Equestria.  Season 6 plans to have us visiting new places and seeing what the world is really like.  That being said, can we go to their equivalent of Las Vegas?  I do know that the real life counterpart is "Sin City", but cartoons have toned down that place before.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
No offense but we're talking about the same fandom that gets "triggered" whenever something happens that contradicts their ideas of what should be canon. The same fandom that got "triggered" because Twilight Sparkle was given a one dimensional love interest in a film series that the creators have said isn't even canon (personally I have nothing against Flash Sentry. He hasn't really done anything to deserve being so despised).

If Hasbro did give Button more of a role in the show, I think it'd be cool to see their take on him. While I think his fanon personality is alright, I would like to see more to him than just being the kid who loves video games. I think it's cool that Button's portrayed as a major gamer by fans but the biggest problem is that that's usually all there is to him. This seems to happen with a lot of background ponies: they do something on the show (like Derpy saying muffins) and that one aspect becomes their entire (fanon) personality.

As for Starlight, my biggest issue with her is her backstory. It is so poorly written. I still can't believe that the reason she hated cutie marks was because her friend got his before she did and then went off to Canterlot to study at that unicorn school. Did Starlight even attempt to get back in contact with him? When she got her mark, did she even attempt to get into the same school as he did? Perhaps if Starlight's friend getting his cutie mark before she did resulted in him turning into a stuck up jerk to her, I could see where she was coming from. Maybe she could have been the last in her class to get a cutie mark and all the other foals made fun of her for it. Those would have been far better ideas than simply "My friend got his mark before me, went off to Canterlot to study at Celestia's Gifted Unicorn School, and then I never attempted to get back in contact with him so now I hate cutie marks for it".

I don't dislike Starlight's character but her backstory is so poorly written. It makes it sound as though she didn't attempt to make other friends or reunite with Sunburst (I think that was his name).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I have an official date for Season 6.  The date two new trailers have given is March 26th.  Yep!  Only 2 weeks away.

The new baby comes in 2 weeks.  Can't wait! :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm very much looking forward to the season opening (it will be the first time for me that I will watch a new episode during a bronie meetup).
I am very skeptic about Starlight Glimmer as well, on the one hand because I would really like to see some villains remain villains for some more sequels (they fall to the good side too easily ;)) and because, as Animeboye pointed out, there was a lot to improve about her backstory. I kind of hope that if they keep her in the show she will be more of a "pen pal" to Twilight (putting Twilight in the role Celestia had for Twilight before) rather than turning the mane6 into mane6+1 (some argue that they probably want to end the state of Rarity as the single unicorn in the main cast).
However, I think after all they have done already the makers of the show really deserve the benefit of the doubt and I am confident that whatever path they will take, they will make that path a path worth walking on :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Tomorrow's the big day, everyone!  I hope you are ready!  It'll air at 11:00 AM Eastern/8:00 AM Pacific.

As always, I'll post the EqD page that has the Live Stream Links and will post my review of it.

See ya tomorrow for the big debut of little Flurry Heart. :)littlefoot

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very much looking forward to this :)
It'll be the first time I'll be watching a season opening during a bronie meetup.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST!~

Here we are today!  We begin another season of our favorite equines plus dragon.  Let's see what we have in store for us.

Summary: The Mane Six go to the Crystal Kingdom to see Twilight's niece, who is having her crystalling.  When they get there and see her for the first time, they are in for a shock.  Meanwhile, Starlight learns that her old friend is there.  She hopes to catch up with him.

Good chunk to fulfill in one hour.  Let's hope they do well.  Get the link to the streams below.  Not much this week, though.

Season 6 - Episode 1 & 2 - The Crystalling
Season 6 - Episode 1 & 2 - The Crystalling

See you all for my review after the episode airs.

See ya later! ^^spike

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to say it, but my review will have to wait.  My connection crapped out near the end.  I'll have to put it up later tonight.

In the meantime, expect the YouTube post soon!

See ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Here are the links to the online version of the episode.

For now, only the Dailymotion version.  YouTube version will be put up later.

The Crystalling - Dailymotion Version - Part 1

The Crystalling - Dailymotion Version - Part 2

I'll be rewatching the ending.  Expect my review soon.

See ya later! ^^spike