The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT 14

kjeldo · 358 · 30107

steetboris

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I tried to contact Aria for getting confirmation, but instead her representative answered me, and confirmed the same thing. I think you should find this email interesting as well :

Yes, for a long time the new regime tried to kill the series, they did everything possible, released new ones in mid January instead of Christmas, (the videos) so they could say they were not selling as well, changed the series airing time on cartoon network several times so the poor little kids had to keep looking for it or lose interest. The first air time was for little toddlers and no weekends for older kids who would be very interested. Only true and rabid fans cared. The old true producing staff for these shows (LBT, Balto) were wonderful people professionally and personally.  The new people that take over in this kind of case just want to dump all the old shows and put on edgier stuff, so it has their signature, and they want to pay the actors very little, and hope to pay them no residuals from sales as well. It is this same callousness and greed that has us in the current writers strike. It is sad.
Will let you know if we can find out anything. Anything is possible. If the "glorious" minds of the current crop of people in power think they can make a personal fortune by re starting or re-releasing something, they will.

Yes I am a bit cynical if you can't tell. I have heard and seen too much. I liked the simple days when there were really good people at Universal Animation. Now it seems all about them keeping money for themselves however they can. Even if Balto and LBT had more fans than any other shows they would not want to keep their finger on the pulse of what people want. They want to DRIVE people and steer them into wanting whatever it is the animation companies want to push.
Sad.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
So in other words no one really knows if LBT will continue but the head departments want to close it down so they can create shows with their names on it?  What selfish bastards! :angry: They're trying to make people quit by paying them next to nothing so they can say that it was just not profitable to keep the show running?  That really makes me mad. :mad  :bang F*** the heads of Universal!  I really hate selfish people like that. :mad

EDIT:  I will never buy another movie made by Universal again if they close LBT for that reason. :angry:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oy. That's all I have to say. I typically don't own a lot of Universe movies outside of their animated stuff, anyway, so my boycotting them, sadly, wouldn't make a difference.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

steetboris

• Ruby
    • View Profile
So in other words no one really knows if LBT will continue but the head departments want to close it down so they can create shows with their names on it?
It's not exactly that, from what I can understand, the new staff didn't really want to continue with the projects the previous staff worked on, and wants to do new things in a different way.
I'm still wondering which projects this new staff has in mind, because except for the Curious george TV series, we haven't seen anything else coming from them yet.

Oy. That's all I have to say. I typically don't own a lot of Universe movies outside of their animated stuff, anyway, so my boycotting them, sadly, wouldn't make a difference.
Yes, boycot wouldn't make much difference; I truly don't know what we could do.
A year ago we had started a petition asking for a Balto special edition DVD, so far it got 1000 signatures, but from what I can see sending them the petition in the current situation would be simply useless.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm not suggesting a boycott.  I'm just not going to give them my money for closing down LBT.  LBT is old, but it's still alive and kicking.  It still grabs the attention of all audiences.  They'd be really stupid to let it go.  Me refusing to give them money doesn't hurt them much, but it merely makes me feel better that I'm not going to keep paying them after they close my favorite show.

I'm still wondering which projects this new staff has in mind, because except for the Curious george TV series, we haven't seen anything else coming from them yet.

Wouldn't it just be easier to keep doing the same shows?  That's like buying a gas station that was doing great and having tons of business and then turning it into something else from scratch which wouldn't make you any more money than the gas station would have except it entails a lot more work.  It just doesn't make sense.

It's not exactly that, from what I can understand, the new staff didn't really want to continue with the projects the previous staff worked on, and wants to do new things in a different way.

But didn't this new staff come on before the production of LBT 13?  They did make another movie.  I don't know.  Maybe they don't want to continue LBT but they'll be forced to by a person who is higher up because it'll make them more money if they do.

steetboris

• Ruby
    • View Profile
But didn't this new staff come on before the production of LBT 13? They did make another movie.
Yes and no, we can't know for sure, as even DTV sequels take at least 2 years to make. Maybe the film was already in pre-production when the staff changed.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
So... they're TRYING to kill the series, but they haven't succeeded yet... is that it?

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It seems that they are just making these sequels ovrnight.  They only came out with LBT12 a few months ago and now they have LBt 13 and may be working on 14.  The sequels may be a little better if they would actually put more time into them.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Question, isn't holding money back like this illegal?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Thanks boris for the letter.  Seems I might've sent the email to the wrong party to get a response. :P:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 6 2008 on  09:06 AM
Wouldn't it just be easier to keep doing the same shows?  That's like buying a gas station that was doing great and having tons of business and then turning it into something else from scratch which wouldn't make you any more money than the gas station would have except it entails a lot more work.  It just doesn't make sense.
I don't think doing the same shows all the time is profitable in the long run. They would want to attract more people, and possibly the best way to do that, in my opinion, is start a new show. Plus I don't think they would want to keep working on the same show all the time because they could get "burned out" on them. You know, run out of ideas, lose inspiration.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think they would want to keep working on the same show all the time because they could get "burned out" on them. You know, run out of ideas, lose inspiration.

A good point, DarkHououmon, I can agree on that one. If LBT ends that way, I'll accept it. But intentionally forcing to end it? Now that's just not fair! :angry:

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This wouldn't be the first time I've heard something like this happen. I've heard something similar happened with that Sonic cartoon SatAM and the Nicktoon Angry Beavers. For SatAM, I heard it was cancelled simply because the new director hated it or something, and for Angry Beavers, they deliberately got it low ratings by airing the show at horrible times as revenge for something.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: steetboris,Jan 2 2008 on  02:18 PM
Land Before Time (series and features) is shut down. Its longtime director Charles Grovesnor has moved on to other projects.
The best we can hope for, then, is that either this information is baloney (which is seeming to be not very likely), or that another director will pick up from where Charles left off. Either way, ending the series now with the note LBT 13 left on and the huge plot-hole created by the TV series is definitely not the best way to end it. However, it may well be possible that this writer's strike has finally "hit where it hurts" for us LBT fans.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I think Kacie has brought up a point that all of us have missed or failed to mention: you get burned out on a project or run out of ideas.  Let's remember this: LBT has been going on for an unusually long time for kids programming.  The only kids show that comes to mind that has gone on for longer, is Scooby Doo.  However, because Scooby is set in the modern world with humans, its a bit easier to create new plots, even if they are repetitive and there's nothing new from the original 60s version of the show.  If the bigwigs at Universal are thinking on the same line that nothing really new can be done, then maybe it is so.  There are times when it is simply not worth continuing for the sake of continuing, and based on what I've seen on reviews for LBT 13, they've about milked the cow dry.  Its not great news, but its the ultimate fate of ANY entertainment franchise.  All the greats end up this way--maybe its just LBT's time too.  I can bet a lot of people weren't happy to see Full House, Friends, Seinfeld, etc. etc. etc. come to an end, but they all have and I don't think people are any less happy without new episodes for the sake of new material.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Surely the writers could come up with more ideas.  LBT is still so movable and flexable.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 7 2008 on  09:52 AM
Surely the writers could come up with more ideas.  LBT is still so movable and flexable.
I don't believe they should continue LBT if they don't want to.

I've mixed feelings about this decision. Part of me is glad LBT is finally ending. The other part of me is a bit disappointed that it didn't get a proper ending.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, if they're going to end it, they should at least do something big for it.  It's just not right to end such a large franchise like they are. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Right or not, it's their decision. Although there is probably still some chance that they'll change their mind and work on a new sequel.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
They may well do another movie at some point in the years to come, either revisit or do a new version at some point in the future, they do that with some things that were successful in the past.