The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mythbusters

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First episode of the next season was on last night. Can a live grenade be disabled by shooting at it? Also tested was which items could be explosive-proof in an emergency: inside a filing cabinet, under a mattress, inside a fish tank, and in the back of a trash truck. In addition, since they managed to get their hands on that trash truck, they decided to recreate that famous cement truck explosion, this time with actual high-speed video. Another awesome explosion! :lol:

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Household disasters for this week's episode. Are certain kinds of sunscreen flammable? Can a vacuum cleaner blow up if it tries to suck up black powder? Can a falling piano crash through the roof and other floors and leave a clean hole? Finally, can an exploding water heater put out a house fire? Some of these turned out to be duds, while others were quite spectacular.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Both of this week's myths came from commercials. First was if it's possible to bob for apples from a bungee jump, and the second was if it's possible to play tennis on the wing of an airplane while it's flying. Both teams found their respective myths terrifying to test, but were able to get definitive results.

- Berix

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Did you like any particular myth and their testing it more then the others?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now this week's episode was definitely worth watching. All about Hollywood car stunts, like two cars trying to shove each other off a cliff, one car using another as a ramp, and driving around on just two wheels. Lots of spectacular crashes, and let's just say I'm glad nobody got hurt.

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sounds like the busters are getting braver, or more insane.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know the cars that can drive on 2 wheels used to be specially made cars, not sure if they still do that.  I saw a show in the late 90's on how some movie stunts were done.  Maybe on the discovery channel or something.

I bet they had a lot of fun doing those.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week had two new episodes. First one was about attraction, and the second was about traffic. Both of them were interesting and amusing in their own ways, though I like the one about traffic more than the other one.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Last night's episode was one that had already been shown in another country some time ago, so I'm glad that it finally got shown here in the U.S. The first myth was about the efficiency of boarding an airplane, and the second myth was about bullets made of teeth being untraceable.

According to an announcement at the end of this episode (also the end of this season), it appears that Tory, Kari, and Grant will not be appearing in any more future episodes of Mythbusters. From now on, the show will focus on just Adam and Jaimie. It sure will be interesting to see how things will go from here... :unsure:

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I recently found out that the Science Channel will be having a mega-marathon of MythBusters, and I really mean mega. Starting early on Wednesday (Christmas Eve), all 220 episodes, back-to-back non-stop, lasting a total of 228 hours over 9 1/2 days! Obviously, there's no way at all I'll be able to watch all of this (and besides, I plan on doing other things instead). I just thought I'd point this out for everyone, since I've never really heard of something as massive as this ever happening before. Who knows? I might decided to watch a few of my favorite episodes, depending on what time they're on.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I heard there will be a new episode on Saturday (Jan 10), which will feature myths from the Simpsons (such as Homer using his own body to stop a wreaking ball from smashing his house). I think this will be the first of a new season, though I'm not exactly sure yet.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, so the newest episode did indeed air yesterday and it was a special that revolved around The Simpsons.

The first myth has to do with Bart's Cherry Bomb.  In this myth, Bart flushes a cherry bomb down a toilet, causing geyser like explosions through the school's toilets.  This one was busted.  If you flush an explosive, it'll just destroy the toilets.  They did invite someone who works on the cartoons, and he did try to give an explanation to refute the test, but I'm not buying it.

The other myth was Homer using his own body to stop a wrecking ball from destroying the family's home.  This one is plausible, but it does question what kind of real-life damage Homer would have sustained.  Then again, Homer has taken a lot of bodily abuse over the years.  Most of what he's taken would badly injure, if not kill a normal person.

Now to see what else they'll do with this year. :)

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Jan 12 2015 on  12:56 AM
Okay, so the newest episode did indeed air yesterday and it was a special that revolved around The Simpsons.

The first myth has to do with Bart's Cherry Bomb.  In this myth, Bart flushes a cherry bomb down a toilet, causing geyser like explosions through the school's toilets.  This one was busted.  If you flush an explosive, it'll just destroy the toilets.  They did invite someone who works on the cartoons, and he did try to give an explanation to refute the test, but I'm not buying it.

The other myth was Homer using his own body to stop a wrecking ball from destroying the family's home.  This one is plausible, but it does question what kind of real-life damage Homer would have sustained.  Then again, Homer has taken a lot of bodily abuse over the years.  Most of what he's taken would badly injure, if not kill a normal person.

Now to see what else they'll do with this year. :)
That sounds like a pretty awesome episode. I would have loved to see that. Unfortunately, I haven't watched this series in a LONG time... because I never know when it is on. Is it at noon? Yeah, totally... today, tomorrow is a whole other story.

That bother me because I used to watch this show religiously (I watched it for a year straight, every day, without missing any episodes).

Oh, and by the way: I was positive that the cherry bomb was indeed possible, what a letdown.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd like to mention that I find it very interesting that the intro this season is so different from the previous versions that it almost feels like watching an entirely different show. Even the graphics displayed throughout the episodes is unlike anything we've seen before (though at least it has its own form of humor :lol: ).

Yesterday's new episode was about myths from Indiana Jones. Quite some interesting results, and some funny moments too. Adam sure does like dressing up as Indy. :lol:

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^ He sure does, indeed! :lol:

They even had made their own boulder for the opening and showed how they made it.  Looks a little sloppy, but still looks like a boulder to me.

Anyways, first up involves the scene where Indy used his whip to disarm a foe who had a gun.  This is quite possible, but not without quite some practice.  They had an expert use the whip on a protected wrist of Jamie and he still felt it.

Next up was the scene where Indy ran across the room filled with pressure pads that shoot poisonous darts from the walls and escape harm.  This one was plausible, but the set-up had hilarious technical difficulties.  It was almost like they were cursed. :spit

Finally, using the whip to grab onto a tree branch and swing across a spiked chasm.  This is plausible.  However, you'd better hope that thing holds.  They did run into some difficulties with that one.

All in all, a good episode and definitely worth watching.  They still know how to make things entertaining. :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another special episode, this one focusing on the A Team. I have to admit, Adam and Jamie showed some pretty good ingenuity for one myth, while the other myth had quite the surprising result.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Video Game special! Do the video game physics of games like Doom and Fruit Ninja reflect reality? I really liked this episode, and I think I may even consider it among my favorite episodes. :)

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
There was a new episode of Mythbusters on last night. One myth tested was the idiom "blowing it out of the water" to see if an underwater explosion could really lift a boat out of the water. The other myth was a scene from the series Breaking Bad where a machine gun mounted on a homemade automatic rig in the trunk of a car could kill everyone inside a room.

I'm definitely looking forward to what other kinds of myths will be tested over the next few new episodes.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The real gun firing was scarily awesome! :wow It was proven plausible, (Mainly due to how difficult it can be to have it work.) but it was really cool in a scary sort of way.

The other one didn't go as planned.  It was marked as Busted, but it felt like there were flaws made, and I'm sure a lot of people will be trying to point out the flaws they made. (I'm sure reddit already has some.) It was still awesome, regardless.

Can't wait for the next one. :)

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
This week's new episode had the myths of: Could the blades of one of those multi-rotor drones cut through a person's neck? Is the U2 Spyplane the most difficult airplane to fly? That second myth in particular made this such an awesome episode.

- Berix