The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT Sequals removed from shelves?

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I checked MovieLine again, and things are looking bright here!

Appearently, The TV-series DVD's 4-6 are all coming out the 3rd of December.
They're also going to launch a box with TV-series DVDs 1-6 at the same date.
The still have the Movies 1-12 box in stock.
And most of the movies are still in stock aswell, so they must be buying in new ones, because last time I checked some of the movies were out.

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, looks like the store I work at did SOMETHING right.  They got rid of Barney and put the LBT movies with the more popular kids movies. (i.e. Disney) Well, not really, they just moved the Barney movies into the toys area, but at least LBT isn't anywhere near the purple dinosaur that would've killed it.

I think things might look up for LBT this holiday season. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Let's hope so.  Things may get interesting if it sells well.  And I think it makes more sense to put LBT next to the Disney type videos then the Barney videos.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I find it quite amusing that something as trivial as the placement organization of the movies on the shelves would be a major factor on how well they are sold.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is true, you may be surprised.  i'm sure some make a study of this, where best to place their products so they sell.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Nov 23 2008 on  05:16 PM
I find it quite amusing that something as trivial as the placement organization of the movies on the shelves would be a major factor on how well they are sold.
As my 3 1/2 years of experience of working at a retail store has shown, the placement of items plays a huge role in the sales of ANY kind of item.  If you place something you REALLY want to sell near something unpopular, it is bound to make it unattractive.  It's basically saying to the customer, "This is just as bad as this and that is why we put it here."

Now, you place it with something good, and it's bound to make it at least get a glance at.  Retail is quite the competitive industry.  Even if you put it with the good stuff, it can still fall flat if you don't present it right.  Yet, the odds are better if you put it with something good.

And of course, there's always the NEW section.  When new stuff comes out, people check it first.  That place is ALWAYS bound to get a glance at, and if your item isn't there when it comes out, it's bound to give your item negative feedback.

Placement holds more of a factor in the selling of an item than you can imagine.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 26 2008 on  01:23 AM
There is a science to item placement.
No joke there.  The LBT TV Series DVD, Friends Forever, is doing terrible at my store just because of where it was placed.  First off, since the TV Series is really meant to aim towards young kids, they have to be able to reach it, and that is sadly not the case.  No young kid can properly see it, much less reach it, and the ones that can, may not have much of an interest in it.

On top of that, they didn't put it with the more popular kids shows going on right now.  Rather it's placed with older cartoon icons that have a hard enough time trying to sell.  Heck, Looney Tunes isn't doing so hot anymore and they place it there?  Bad move.  Also, can anyone tell me how Curious George is doing?  Because they also placed it right next to that and it could very well be effecting it in the end.

Not to mention that they didn't put it with the NEW section when it came out.  Automatic frowned upon by the customer right there.

Bottom line, placement is FAR more important in the selling of an item than you could EVER imagine.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds like that store has no idea on how to place items to increase their possible selling potential.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Dec 17 2008 on  02:13 AM
Sounds like that store has no idea on how to place items to increase their possible selling potential.
The truth of the matter is that the setting arrangement is done by a third party.  These people have ZERO experience in the area and rarely pull off the formula of effective placement = effective sales.  Heck, many of the items our customers want go unnoticed just because of where they are placed and customers walk right by them and, often times, need help finding them. (One in particular is the ice cube trays.  Hidden away down on the bottom level where the older population of shoppers can't see them.) They are even worse than you may believe because they don't estimate very well.  I, often times, have ended up with not enough room on the shelve to fit the particular item they want me to place in a certain area.  No matter how I rearrange the items, it just won't go there.  It becomes quite the problem in the end.

I'm not the only one who notices these things.  A number of the Sales Associates I often work with notice it too.  These people have had WAY more experience than me (Seriously, 20+ years?  How can you survive under Sales Associate for that long? (On a positive note they look quite impressive for their age.  I doubt the 40+ males out there could tell which women are their age.)) and know just how right I am on this.  Heck, it's often shown that we could do a better job of running the store than the lazy oafs in the back room that control our schedules.

To be honest, I see where we are going and if something isn't done, the stores going to fail due to extreme debt in the end, and with today's economy, we need to avoid that more than ever.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is just to bad they will not listen to folks who have experience in certain areas.  I guess some stores do and some do not.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have noticed that the stores in my are only have 11-13 sequel wise and the TV series DVDs. I do have a grocery store nearby that occasionally has one of the older ones on the DVD rack, I've seen TGVA and TSOCF there.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Perhaps some tweaking in the orientation of new and current employees, especially thrid-party employees, at Wal-Mart needs to happen.  It is true that successful product sales are all in the placement and visual appeal of the product :yes.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Definitely not removed here.
Went to the store today and they are still there.
The good is, I counted atleast 5 of each DVD. (indicates they buy in new DVD's over time, since there were more now than last time I visited. (2-3 months ago)
They are clearly visible withing the kid section. :yes

Maybe I should spy on the store and see if they sell anything! :wow
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
My local walmart has movies 1, 7, 8, and 10 right now.  They constantly switch them around.  In a couple of weeks they'll have say 2, 11, 12, and 5.  Let's face it guys.  If there's 3-6 movies in a series, they might have them all, but unless they're in a huge pack, they're not going to have all 13 movies and 5 TV Episode DVD's.

EDIT:  And on that note, in order to get all of the LBT DVD's, it took me over 2 months because I had to wait until Target had the one's I needed in! :bang

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, it's officially over for LBT at my Wal*Mart.  Why?  Let me explain.

Despite the fact they have now reached the $5.00 mark, there is no way they will sell because nearly all the movies that reach that mark are put into a bin.  It holds thousands of movies, and the chances of certain movies getting sold is pretty slim.  Also with the fact that only the older population can reach inside it, that means no kids can find them unless their parents get it out for them.

The only way out?  Get to the $1.00 rack, and that only happens with really old movies.  It mainly involves movies from the 60s.  Many of which I've never heard of.

*sighs* If only it was handled better.  It wouldn't be suffering this fate right now. -_-

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
The only one in my area was Land Before Time 1 which then got taken off selfs in my Wal Mart.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Hmmmmm.  Maybe I'll check my local walmart.  Haven't checked since I moved here.  Haven't really thought of it anyways since I already have 'em all, but Target always puts the movies in the "new and hot" section when they first come out.  That's where I got LBT 13. :)