The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Something odd happened today

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Something very unusual happened to me today that has never happened before in my life and I thought never would happen.

This morning, I and my brother and sister went to the eye doctor to check if I needed new glasses. Previously, I went to the one in town, but this time I went to one near Burlington, which would have more options available for a new pair of glasses. Near the end of my check-up (after my brother and my sister were done), the doctor had to put some eye-drops in my eyes to numb them so he could use some tool (I forget what it's called) to touch my eyes. I had gone through this before, so I knew what to expect.

However, I was a little nervous about having to do it, which I think caused me to cause the doctor some difficulty doing the procedure. Eventually, I decided to take a bathroom break, hoping it would relieve my stress. It was a small building, so I had to go through the waiting room to get to the bathroom. I had only made it to the doorway to the waiting room when I began to feel dizzy.

After I asked again where the bathroom was, I collapsed to the floor and almost passed out. My parents helped me get into a chair and called the EMT. I didn't actually pass out, but I certainly came close. By the time the EMT arrived (which was a quick response, surprisingly quick to me), I was already starting to recover. Although they didn't have to use the ambulance or the stretcher, they had to do some tests and ask a few questions to make sure I was okay. By the time they were done, I had almost completely recovered. My family and I headed back home soon after that.

I later found out that what had just suffered was a panic attack, or something like that. I honestly wasn't expecting that to happen, especially for something I've done before. Maybe it was the unfamiliar surroundings or that neither of my parents were in the room with me. I'm also not sure if the fact that I have Asperger's Syndrome might have been another cause. (By the way, I think this is the first time I've admitted here that I have Asperger's Syndrome.)

All this happened about three hours ago, but don't worry, I'm completely fine now. I'm just still surprised something like this actually happened to me.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow that's quite a story.. I'm glad you're doing okay but that's honestly weird especially if you've experienced it before.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Odd indeed.  I wouldn't be quick to blame it on aspergers.  If you were curious about the tool, its so they can measure the pressure in the eye.  Its standard procedure for my eye exams.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I've had this happen to me before, and I don't have Aspergers or anything like that.

What happened was I went to a school vaccination and I was injected with the Hepatitis stuff... no problem.  Then I sat down and waited for a few minutes, reading a brochure on what it did.  Midway through I begun to 'feel' the serim creeping up my bloodstream and into my body.  It was so disturbing that I had a panic attack and passed out.

...only to wake up in mid air halfway to the ground.  Feeling I was falling I reached out and grabbed a chair before landing on my knees.  I was assessed and then released.

Now I know that a panic attack is when your body goes into 'shock'.  That is, the blood going to your brain thins and causes you to lose conscienceness.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I used to get anxiety attacks, so I know what those feel like even though I never passed out due to them :crazy.  They can be scary as hell when they're happening.

This kinda reminds me of what happened the last time I ever gave blood to date, which was back in April sometime.  I think the blood loss put my system in shock.  There's also the possibility that I could've been "dead" for no greater than 30 seconds :blink:.  I passed out as I was leaving the building, and the guy who responded first checked me for vital signs and shouted for someone to call 911.  He was just starting to roll me over to do CPR when I finally came back around.  He later told the EMTs and me that I had no vital signs when he checked me :wow.  The EMTs tried to talk me into going to the hospital and getting a transfusion done, but stubborn ol' me told them I'll be back to normal in a couple of weeks :rolleyes.  I really hate going to hospitals and therefore absolutely refuse to go unless I feel it's really necessary.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes, the tool to touch the eye does measure the pressure in the eye.  In my experience most eye doctors use a puff of air.  I only had one that had to touch my eye.

Is this the first time something like that happened?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A tool to meet pressure in the eye? Oh. We use a light that shines directly into your eyes to see if there are any oddities, you have to look up and down etc etc.