The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAMS POST~

So, time for the Cutie Mark Crusaders!  Here's hoping it's a good one.  Get the link to the Live Streams below.

Season 8 Episode 6 - Surf and/or Turf Live Streams

I'll be posting the link to the online version after the episode.

Until then, see ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
-EPISODE POST-

Doing this on my phone.  Here's the link to the episode.

Season 8 Episode 6: Surf and/or Turf Online Version

Hope it works for all of you!

Expect my review tomorrow.

See ya later! :wave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:35:30 PM by pokeplayer984 »

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I honestly wonder if EqD is even aware there are still Equestria Girls shorts being uploaded on YouTube by Hasbro. At least I can always provide a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5WFbGkoG8
(spoilers)
Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Applejack are relaxing on the beach when Fluttershy, thanks to her magic ability, hears a bunch of newly-hatched baby turtles struggling to reach the ocean. Rainbow Dash suggests using her pet tortoise Tank to find them, and once she decides to speed things up a bit, they find the baby turtles. Unfortunately, there's a bunch of obstacles between the turtles and the ocean, and since Fluttershy insists they can't just carry the turtles to the water, the girls decide to clear away all the obstacles. Once they eventually clear a path, they discover that Tank had already led the turtles a different direction safely to the water.

What I find most interesting in this short is, at the very start of it, I think this is the first time we actually heard what Fluttershy hears when she uses her magic power. Other than that, this short definitely brings the feels. Not one I'd count among my most favorites, but definitely one I can appreciate.

(end spoilers)

Just as I feared, being a leaked episode likely meant that any good versions of today's episode on DailyMotion were quickly taken down. I decided to try that new site, SendVid, and as far as I'm concerned, it was a great way to watch the episode. To be honest, I found it preferable to DailyMotion, so I'm glad that this new alternative will work just fine. (And to think, it used to be easy to find episodes on YouTube.) Anyway, on to my review of this week's episode.
(spoilers)
Amazingly, not only are the Cutie Mark Crusaders called by the Cutie Map, but they're called all the way to Mount Aris, the home of the hippogriffs. Of course, since they're still fillies, Twilight decides to go with them, not only to watch over them, but also with the excuse of getting Silverstream's permission form signed by her parents and to learn about hippogriffs and seaponies, entirely "for research".

Once they arrive at the newly built train station (with the tracks on a causeway) at Mount Aris, they soon meet Silverstream's brother, Terramar (a rather interesting name, once you learn about him). While Twilight goes with his father "for research", Terramar shows the CMCs around, and Sweetie Belle quickly falls in love with the fields outside the village. It's also at this time that they find out why they were sent here: Terramar can't decide between living with his father on Mount Aris or with his mother in Seaquestria.

For the sake of making a fair judgement between the two options, they next go down to Seaquestria (with Twilight joining them "for research"). It is here that we find out that the transformation pearl we saw in the movie has been broken into fragments for each hippogriff/seapony, which allows them to transform themself (and anyone they touch at the moment of transformation) to and from seapony form. Terramar leads Twilight and the CMCs down to Seaquestria, and Scootaloo quickly falls in love with the place due to how swimming around in the deep ocean feels like flying (and we all know how desperate she's been to achieve that dream).

After getting a good look at both places, the CMCs now have to help Terramar make his choice. Sweetie Belle is heavily in favor of Mount Aris, while Scootaloo is heavily in favor of Seaquestria, and Apple Bloom simply can't make up her mind before the disagreements between her two friends (in song form) drive them apart, so Terramar walks away convinced that they can't help him.

Eventually, the CMCs realize how silly their disagreement has been, and when they witness Twilight unintentionally bring the hippogriffs and seaponies together on the beach, they realize that the real answer is that Terramar shouldn't have to chose one place over the other. Once they find him and bring him to the beach, he sees everyone, including his parents, having a good time together, and he admits to his parents that he likes being in both places, and it's at this point that the CMCs get that signal that they successfully completed their first map mission.

I would consider this episode among my favorites for this season. Not to sound like Twilight was in this episode, but I really did like finding out more about both Mount Aris and Seaquestia. I also found it very interesting how not all of the seaponies wanted to go back to being hippogriffs and chose to stay in Seaquestria, which leads to the very interesting situation where Terramar (and his sister Silverstream) have parents living in different places. I have to say, this episode might be the closest this show ever comes to addressing the issue of being a child with divorced parents.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Well, we finally got a good episode.  Just good with not much to show for it.  I'll explain below.

The main problem I have is that this was an episode that could have been done at any point.  I guess to sidestep the idea of parents being divorced, the writers waited for an excuse where they could easily avoid the subject.  The very story of the Hippogriffs and Seaponies gives the writers such an opportunity.  So let's get to this.

It's nice to see the CMCs get their first ever Map Episode.  The location is Mt. Aris, home of the Hippogriffs.  The place is absolutely beautiful!  I can see why Sweetie Belle practically fell in love with it.

However, it's here where the plot presents itself.  A Hippogriff known as Terramar has trouble finding his place.  A number of the Seaponies from the movie decided to stay as Seaponies while others wanted to get back to their Hippogriff roots.  As such, the crystal that was used to transform others into Seaponies was split into fragments so they could visit between the two worlds.  Terramar was given one of those fragments so he could visit either of his parents at any time.

However, his dad chose to be a Hippogriff while his mother chose to be a Seapony.  As a result, Terramar is forced to go back and forth between the two places just to even talk with them.  This is a problematic thing for a child to go through.  However, it is rather easily sidestepped at the end of the day and never really addressed.  All the CMCs did in the end was convince Terramar to talk with his parents about the issue and Twilight made that opportunity happen for him.  In the end, he's back to where he started, but doesn't worry about it anymore.

I want to say that this was the wrong way to approach the subject.  However, the episode itself is enjoyable to watch from start to finish.  It's an episode that doesn't really resolve the issue, but is enjoyable to watch regardless of that.

The episode was enjoyable, but it's far from great.

Next time, we got a Princess Celestia episode.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 02:15:55 PM by pokeplayer984 »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Tomorrow is a new episode, and this time we have some Celestia happening.  Get the summary below.

-----------
Season 8 Episode 7

Title - Horse Play

Summary - Princess Celestia's fillyhood dream of being in a play is realized when Twilight Sparkle casts her in production, only to discover Celestia's talents lie elsewhere.
-----------

Yet another episode to drill it into everyone's head that Celestia isn't "Ms. Perfection".  How many more until EVERYONE gets the message is the only question now.

As usual, expect the Live Stream link tomorrow morning.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAMS POST~

Well, the new episode is only hours away.  Hopefully, it'll be a good one.  Get the link to the Live Streams below.

Season 8 Episode 7 - Horse Play Live Streams

With this being another leak, here's hoping I can get the episode up later today after the episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~EPISODE POST~

We may as well just forget about Dailymotion from now on.  SendVid is the new one to use.  Enjoy the episode.

Season 8 Episode 7 - Horse Play Online Version

I'll give my review tomorrow.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Someone should at least let EqD know that the Equestria Girls specials are still being released on YouTube. Anyway, here's the direct link for this week's release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbJmb9eH5E
(spoilers)
Twilight, Pinkie, and Rarity are making final preparations to go riding in a sailboat. Twilight has carefully plotted a course on her map, Pinkie brought a basket of various treats, and Rarity brought a huge trunk stuffed full of "essentials", which Twilight hauls back onto the dock due to not accounting for its massive weight for the trip. Once they cast off, things quickly go wrong. The gust of wind Twilight had prepared for turns out to be in the wrong direction, Rarity and Pinkie struggle to steer the boat back onto Twilight's course, Twilight loses her map, and just when they're about to crash into a huge rock, Pinkie tosses a cream puff from her basket into the water ahead, with her magic power causing it to explode with enough force to unleash a huge wave that then pushes the sailboat right back to the dock. Twilight remarks how they still had fun despite things not going to plan, Rarity passes out towels from her trunk for them to dry off, and Pinkie continues snacking on her now salty treats.

The events of this short very easily remind me of an episode from the main show (I believe it was in late Season 6, if I remember correctly), though since it features a different group of the main girls, it leads to a different series of events. In addition, while the pony episode had them end up mad at each other, here in this short they simply laughed off the crazy series of events as simply having a good time no matter what happens.

(end spoilers)

Hopefully once the leaked episodes are behind us, we can go back to DailyMotion, but for now I'm fine with SendVid. Anyway, on to my review of this week's episode.
(spoilers)
With Pinkie pointing out Celestia's upcoming "one-iversay" (1111th) of raising the sun for the very first time, Twilight decides to hold a play at her school about that event, and goes to Celestia to ask for permission to proceed. Surprisingly, Celestia is not only incredibly thrilled with the idea, but also reveals that being part of a play was something she had wanted to do back when she was a filly, but was too busy with her magic studies to ever actually do it. Twilight believes that this is a perfect opportunity to do something nice for Celestia personally, and decides to make her the lead actress for the play, much to the shock of just about everyone who finds out (including Celestia herself).

As they go through rehearsal, Celestia's lack of acting experience quickly becomes very obvious, but Twilight refuses to tell such a harsh truth to her (despite Applejack's obvious advice). Her friends consider canceling the play as a possible solution, but with Rainbow Dash spreading word so quickly, that option goes off the table. Twilight attempts to help Celestia get acting lessons from some professional actors, with her friends trying their bast to repair the damages caused by Celestia's earlier mishaps. Unfortunately, the lessons have little effect, and with Pinkie failing to think through her effort to replace the prop sun, Twilight snaps from all the stress, but Celestia overhears it all, and expresses her disappointment at Twilight failing to be honest with her.

Twilight catches up to Celestia and apologizes for not being honest, and only wanted to do something good for her, to which Celestia points out that "being honest is more important than trying to fulfill a good deed for a friend". With the audience already gathered, Celestia comes up with a new plan on how to proceed with the play. Rainbow Dash quickly provides a new backdrop, Fluttershy takes Celestia's place as the star role, and when things start getting tough, Celestia passes on some of the acting lessons she had received such as improvising and visualization. The play is ultimately successful, with Celestia pleased that she actually got to live her dream of being part of a play, pointing out that it didn't necessarily have to be an on-stage role to satisfy her.

For me, I'd say there are two big facts to consider from this episode. First, it has apparently now been 1111 years since Celestia raised the sun for the very first time. Considering that thousand-year era of Nightmare Moon, and probably a few more years have passed since the end of that, we can now safely say that the time span between Celestia first raising the sun and the Nightmare Moon incident is approximately just over a hundred years. Second, this was clearly yet another episode about how wrong it is to lie for the sake of sparing one's feelings. Since Princess Celestia herself became the victim this time, perhaps now these ponies will have finally actually learned that lesson.

(end spoilers)

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Good episode.  Better than last week's.  I'll explain more below.

So we've had this lesson multiple times by now.  Simply, "lying is bad, m'kay?".  I mean, they went as far as Applejack trying to drill it into Twilight's head and the latter refusing to take that course of action until Celestia overheard the truth.  Hopefully, this is the end of this lesson.

Leave it to Pinkie to remember not just the 1,111th Anniversary of Celestia raising the sun, (Now I'm CONVINCED there's something secret about her.  Come on, writers.  What's the truth about her?) but also how many times Applejack has told her something.  She brought a lot of comedy into this and helped make it more enjoyable.

Let's address the elephant in the room.  Celestia is one of the worst actors I have EVER seen.  This acting of her's was meant to be intentionally bad and boy did the writers deliver with this one.  I mean, even professionals couldn't help her.  This really shows how little time she had to stuff outside of her royal duties.  If she couldn't even commit time to fulfilling a dream of hers... wow!

Finally, let's get to the play.  I'm impressed with Fluttershy.  One moment, she's hyperventilating. (Where she even took out a paper bag to control herself.) The next, Celestia calms her down so she can play the role flawlessly.  It's been 8 seasons and the writers can still surprise me in good ways with her.  There's quite a few reasons she's one of my favorites to this day and still so high on that list.

There's plenty of points to facepalm at what happens.  This is what makes it bad.  You know what has to be done, and yet the characters just won't do it.  It was pretty annoying.  However, there were some good parts that helped in making it enjoyable.  Pinkie was the main bulk of this with her usual comedic moments.  The play was quite good when we finally got to it.  Not to mention the ride was kind of fun overall.

Better than the last episode, but not by much.

Next time, Starlight and Sunburst episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Tomorrow is a new episode of pony.  Plus, it ends up being centered around two characters whom don't get such a privilege that often.  Get the summary below.

-----------------
Season 8 Episode 8

Title: The Parent Map

Summary: Neither Starlight nor Sunburst have visited their parents in a long time, but when both are called by the map to their hometown, they discover their parents are at the center of the friendship problem they need to solve.
------------------

So we finally get conformation on their parents.  Let's see how this goes.

Expect the links to the Live Stream tomorrow morning.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

There seems to be conflicting sources for the title of this one.  I'll keep it as is for now.  I'll get confirmation when the episode airs.  In the meantime, here's the link for the Live Streams.

Season 8 Episode 8 - The Parent Map Live Streams

Expect the link to the episode later today.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~EPISODE LINK~

So, Dailymotion did have the episode, but it had some sounds missing.  Likely to get around the "copyright claims".  Deciding on dropping that one, I found a Mega.nz one.  It has none of it changed.  Enjoy!

Season 8 Episode 8 - The Parent Map Online Version

Review will come tomorrow.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another week without EqD even bothering to mention the Equestria Girls shorts still being added to YouTube. Here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIkMCTuDASQ
(spoilers)
Rainbow Dash and Applejack are relaxing on the beach when Rarity suddenly arrives terrified that she lost one of her custom earrings, so they agree to help her find it with metal detectors. They spend the entire afternoon searching as much of the beach as they can, and although they find all kinds of objects, they are unable to find Rarity's missing earring. However, it's when Rarity puts on her metal detector's head phones again that they discover the earring was simply hidden within her hair all along.

Using metal detectors at a beach is a rather well-known hobby, so it doesn't surprise me that one of these beach-themed shorts features it. And of course, it was quite amusing to see all those weird objects they kept digging out of the sand (most notably, Rainbow Dash was unable to recognize an old cellphone).

(end spoilers)

I tried that other video site last week, but my computer had trouble playing through the whole thing, forcing me to pause it for a little while every few minutes, so I think I'll stick with SendVid (good thing I often tend to wait long enough for it to become available later in the afternoon). Anyway, onto my review for this week's episode.
(spoilers)
At the Crystal Empire, Sunburst is very focused on his studies as he tosses away yet another letter from his old home, but then his cutie mark starts glowing. Understanding what this means, he goes to Ponyville and is excited to be going on a mission to solve a friendship problem, especially with Starlight called on it as well, but just like Starlight, he loses all enthusiasm when he finds out that the mission will take them back to the village where they grew up. (Unfortunately, I can't quite remember the name of that village right now, due to only seeing the episode once so far, but I do know that there is an actual name for that village.)

Starlight and Sunburst arrive at the village and quickly discover just how different it has become from when they were last there. Half of it has become highly developed, while the other half has been completely preserved for historical purposes. It soon turns out that the developed half is due to efforts by Sunburst's mom, while the preserved half is due to efforts by Starlight's dad (they both have names, but again, I can't quite remember them after just one viewing). Seeing them strongly disagree over how to run the village, Starlight and Sunburst think they found the friendship problem, and after some effort, eventually manage to convince them to stop their hostility toward each other. But even though their parents are now getting along with each other, no glowing cutie marks means that the mission hasn't actually been accomplished.

Starlight and Sunburst begrudgingly decide to spend more time with their parents for help to find where the real friendship problem is, but it's already obvious why they hate the idea; Starlight's dad keeps treating her like a little filly, while Sunburst's mom is obsessed with making sure that he has his life planned out. Starlight and Sunburst eventually reach a breaking point and they both snap at their respective parents. It's not long after telling off their parents that they realize the real friendship problem was for them to reconcile with their parents, so they apologize to their parents and ask for them to at least respect their wishes (Starlight's dad needs to recognize that his daughter is grown up and moved on, while Sunburst's mom needs to let him make his own plans on his own). With everypony reconciling, the map mission is successful. As Starlight and Sunburst leave, they realize that now that they're on better terms with their parents, they no longer have any reason to avoid visiting the village, and wouldn't mind making another visit, though they don't seem so eager when their parents start considering visiting them at their new homes.

This episode was certainly quite interesting. We now know the name of the village where Starlight and Sunburst grew up, and we got to meet one parent of each of them (though it's a little strange we didn't get to see both parents for either of them). We still don't know much more about Starlight's backstory (such as how she got her cutie mark or how she started that other village she ruled over), but at least now we got a little bit to go on. Perhaps what I found most interesting is how Starlight's dad was solely focused on the past, while Sunburst's mom was solely focused on the future, which provided a very interesting conflict between not only each other but also with their respective children.

(end spoilers)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:30:47 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Okay, so here we go!  Enjoyed this one.  Spoilers below.

Looking at this episode, I would argue that there was not one but two Friendship Problems to solve.  They were, one, the problems Sunburst's Mother and Starlight's Dad caused for the town.  Two, the soured relationship Sunburst and Starlight had with their respective parent.

Starlight's Dad was stuck in the past, while Sunburst's Mom was thinking of the future.  Both in terms of the town and the raising of their respective child.  I can understand why Starlight and Sunburst never returned home.  Heck, they chose to be elsewhere than with their parents during the Holidays.  I'm not surprised after seeing this.  Yes, parents embarrassing their child can be such a problem, that they can leave just on that alone, cutting all ties in the process.

However, it is interesting to see how their lives were after all of that happened.  Especially Starlight and how she turned to The Dark Side, nearly dooming all of Equestria.

I like when the writers give lessons for the parents of those watching the show with their kids.  The fact is, when you grow up, you have to make your own choices in life and take them as they come.

This was all well done and I'm glad to see how well this episode turned out.

All in all, a really good episode I would highly recommend, if only for the lesson here.

Next time, AJ and Rainbow make a truce.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Tomorrow is another new episode of pony.  Yet another one of them that was leaked.  Get the summary below.

---------------
Season 8 Episode 9

Title: Non-Compete Clause

Summary: Applejack and Rainbow Dash take the friendship students on a teamwork learning field trip, and accidentally show the students how NOT to work together.
----------------

Seems the rivalry between Applejack and Rainbow Dash continues.  Let's see what trouble it gets them into.

As always, expect the link to the Live Streams tomorrow morning.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 01:08:49 PM by pokeplayer984 »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

The Applejack and Rainbow Dash rivalry continues!  This should be a fun one.  Get the link to the Live Streams below.

Season 8 Episode 9 - Non-Compete Clause Live Streams

I'll do all I can to get a link for the online version after the episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Continue to enjoy the rivalry that is Rainbow Dash and Applejack.  Get the link below.  Don't worry, it's a SendVid one this time.

Season 8 Episode 9 - Non-Compete Clause Online Version

Expect my review tomorrow.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After about a month of nothing, EqD finally mentions the Equestria Girls shorts still being added to YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/05/equestria-girls-shorts-too-hot-to.html
And of course, here's the direct link for this week's release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqeUacXk8cI
(spoilers)
Pinkie, Rainbow, and Rarity are helping Fluttershy with some crab adoption effort at the beach. Pinkie struggles to get the crabs to cooperate with her, so she instead offers to go get some shaved ice (snow cones) for her friends. However, as soon as she has the four snow cones, she encounters a series of events that makes delivering them to her friends difficult. First, some kid drops his snow cone, so she gives him one of hers. Next, a seagull steals the second snow cone. Hot beach sand gets in the way next, so she bounces over it on a beach ball, some umbrellas, and grabbing onto a kite, which then breaks and sends her crashing to the ground in front of her friends, leaving the third snow cone covered in sand. Finally, due to the crabs getting "crabby" because of the heat, she gives them the final snow cone. Pinkie is disappointed that she couldn't give the treats to her friends like she promised, but Rainbow Dash uses her super speed to quickly get more for them to share.

Not much for me to say for this one. It was certainly amusing how Pinkie trying to simply bring some snow cones to her friends turned out to be ridiculously difficult, losing one after another in various ways, only for it to ultimately not matter when Rainbow Dash makes the second attempt with virtually no issues at all.

(end spoilers)

And here's my review for this week's new episode.
(spoilers)
After Fluttershy wins "Teacher of the Month" yet again at the Friendship School, Rainbow Dash and Applejack, always competitive as ever, are desperate to win it themselves. With the discussion of an upcoming field trip focusing on teamwork, Rainbow and Applejack each argue that they're best suited for offering such lessons, and they end up both being put in charge of it together.

The problems start right from the beginning, with Applejack and Rainbow disagreeing on what activity the Student 6 (alternatively known as the Young 6, as I see both names still being used by fans) should do. First, Applejack tries getting them to work together building a shed, but insists on working slow and carefully, which causes Rainbow Dash to get impatient and rush through the rest of the build, resulting in the shed getting destroyed. Next, Rainbow Dash tries getting them to work together paddling a canoe to set a speed record, but when she and Applejack disagree on which way to go, they end up going neither direction and smash into a rock.

As they drift down the river, Yona almost drowns, but Silverstream and Ocellus work together to save her. Once the group finally gets back on land, Twilight shows up, and the reactions she gets from students make it clear to her that Rainbow and Applejack had been doing a terrible job, seemingly caring more about competing for "Teacher of the Month" rather than actually teaching teamwork. Predictably, Twilight is furious, so she not only reminds them that "Teacher of the Month" is determined by student vote, but also picks the team-building activity herself; a simple nature hike.

Once the group gets underway, Rainbow and Applejack let their competitive nature get in the way again, this time by being too polite to the other and getting very little accomplished along the way. They eventually end up lost and the only way back to the school before dark is to cross a ravine. Despite some students suggesting simply flying across, Rainbow and Applejack insist on building a bridge, but disagree on what to build it with; Applejack goes for just vines, while Rainbow goes for just sticks. Both crude bridges collapse and Rainbow and Applejack are left tangled up over the ravine, so the students work together to save them. Once they finally return to the school, Twilight asks the students what they learned, and they claim that they learned a lot about teamwork by watching Rainbow and Applejack demonstrate how not to do it.

We've known since Season 1 how competitive Rainbow Dash and Applejack can be, so seeing it here in Season 8 shows that some things are unlikely to ever change. Also, this is the first episode since the season premiere that featured the Student/Young 6, so we got an opportunity to learn a little more about them (for example, Yona is very scared of water because she can't swim). It was kinda interesting that the Student/Young 6 quickly understood that Rainbow and Applejack were not being good teachers (you know there's a problem when the kids have better awareness than the adults), and in the end, were nice enough to say their methods did teach them a useful lesson, even if it wasn't in a way they had intended. I also must admit that things at the ravine didn't turn out as I had expected: the two bridges made of just vines or just sticks clearly wouldn't work, and I had assumed that one made of both would work, though it seems the students ultimately chose to just fly across anyway; and when Rainbow and Applejack ended up tangled in a ball of wreckage hanging in the ravine, that reminded me of a scene from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and I had assumed that scene would be further referenced by those two finally working together by trying to swing across to one side, but again the students decided to simply fly them out of there. I think it's fair to say that the Student/Young 6 possess a lot more common sense than I had honestly expected. Overall, this was one of the more favorable episodes of this season for me.

(end spoilers)

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

It seems some things never change.  Spoilers below.

Some things never change.  We're in the eighth season, and Applejack and Rainbow Dash are still rivals.  Not that I would want that to change, it's part of what makes their character interaction great.  However, one could argue that it's what hurt this episode.

They chose different activities for the field trip, both of which failed due to their rivalry, and even when a third party chose the activity, it runs into problems because of said rivalry.   It's unknown how this rivalry started, but I for one don't want it to end.  Sure, it got them into trouble, but I find it entertaining.

The real stars of this episode are the Student Six. (Name I'm sticking with, regardless of what anyone says.  Besides, "Young Six" just doesn't sound right to me.) They learned how to work together nearly by themselves to save their teachers.  On top of that, they bailed Applejack and Rainbow Dash out and made sure they didn't suffer Twilight's wrath a second time in the same day.

There are better episodes this season, but at least this one was entertaining.

Next time, a Big Mac episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

I won't be able to do as much next week due to being out of town.  I still expect to get the Summary and Live Stream Posts done at that time.

Until then, here's the summary for tomorrow's episode.

--------------
Season 8 Episode 10

Title: The Break Up Breakdown

Summary: It's Hearts and Hooves Day and Big Mac has big romantic plans for Sugar Belle, but the day takes a turn when he overhears his special somepony tell Mrs. Cake that she's planning on breaking up with him!
---------------

Please tell me it'll be a misunderstanding.  I don't think I will be able to take it if it turns out to be true. :(

Either way, I'll see ya tomorrow for the Live Stream Post.