The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
Starlight is tasked with making a new friend to join her at an upcoming dinner party with Twilight and Celestia, but that proves rather difficult. Part of that is due to her high level of magical talent, which makes it more plausible why she would enjoy being friends with Trixie; not just a terrible past for both of them, but also they are both great at magic and can appreciate each other's talents.

The last time we saw Trixie was back in season 3, before Twilight became an alicorn princess, so I kind of expected that point to somehow be brought up. It seems that was done by Trixie frequently emphasizing the "princess" part of "Princess Twilight".

And then near the end, let's just say Princess Celestia was not pleased with being left alone at the dinner party without being given any explanation for why Starlight never showed up with a friend. I have a feeling Celestia is going to have quite a talk with Twilight about these events.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Watching it now I can tell it's not gonna be a easy episode to sit through

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
In all honesty, I think this whole season in general just hasn't been very good so far. Don't get me wrong, the episodes aren't terrible or anything, they're just nothing very noteworthy either. I'm not sure if I'm just becoming jaded with MLP or what but I haven't enjoyed these episodes as much as I've enjoyed past ones.

One problem I had was actually with one of the earlier episodes of this season. The one with Maud Pie. I don't dislike Maud but I do think she's a pretty one dimensional character. So much so that it almost feels intentional. Her obsession with rocks was cute and even kind of funny at first but now it's just tiring because that's really all there is to her. Rocks. Every sentence that comes out of her mouth has something to do with rocks and it's just really not that funny anymore. I've noticed the same thing with Twilight being so obsessive compulsive about making sure everything is just so. It used to be a cute quirk of hers that gave her more character but now it's starting to feel like that is her character. We see this in the season six opener and we even saw a little of it in the latest episode.

Characters like Pinkie and Spike also fell into this trap albeit a bit sooner than a character like Twilight did. Pinkie used to be the lighthearted jokester who wanted to make others laugh and be as great a friend as she could be. In the first season, we see that even though Pinkie loves pranks, she still knows when a prank goes too far such as when she decides not to prank Fluttershy because she thought it might hurt her. That really showed depth on Pinkie's part and made her that much more likable.

Then three seasons later, we have Pinkie just completely unaware of Fluttershy's feelings in Fili Vanilli. She scares Fluttershy so much with her insane what if scenarios that she, on numerous occasions, drives the poor pony to tears. And THIS is the same pony who didn't want to pull a prank on her friend because she was afraid it would hurt her feelings?

Spike, while I don't think he's necessarily been flanderized, I still think he's been getting worse treatment over the course of the show. In the beginning he was pretty much the little brother of the Mane Six. He could be a brat, laughing at their misfortunes (i.e after the poison joke messes with them) but he still clearly cared about them and they still clearly cared about him. By season four, it seemed like he had become the punching bag of the series. Most of the jokes that involved Spike were usually done at his expense.

But my biggest issue with MLP right now is that when it comes down to it, MLP just doesn't take any risks. I'm not saying it should be like Animaniacs and include more subtle adult humor or be like say, Batman the Animated Series and have dark, depressing storylines but just something a bit different. Lauren Faust once said that she originally wanted the characters to have more adventures so why not do something like that? Have them go on adventures, have them fight villains more often than just at the beginning and/or end of the season, have them go to other parts of Equestria(they've started doing this a little more which I think is pretty cool). I don't think slice-of-life stuff is bad, per se but I liken it to cake. It can be good and anyone can enjoy it but it's not something you should always have. It's good as a once in a while thing.

And maybe have an episode where not everything is wrapped up neatly with a pretty little bow on top. One thing I loved about the Reflections Arc in the comics was that not everything worked out perfectly in the end. A sacrifice had to made and there was no deus-ex-machina to reverse it. The arc had plenty of plot holes (one of which relates to the previously mentioned sacrifice) but I still enjoyed it. I won't spoil anymore but I thought it was a good read. Not outstanding, but good.

Anyway, point being, the series did use to do this with the ponies entering a competition and not always winning in the end (although that's changed too) but why not do that with more scenarios? Maybe have a friendship problem that starts to be resolved but isn't fully resolved at the end of the episode? That would be a great lesson for kids too that sometimes problems aren't solved right away and it can be a gradual process.

Even with all that said though, I do still enjoy this show and I do still love these characters. I just want to see more done with MLP. The series still has so much potential left in it and I just want to see that potential utilized.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, everyone! Check out the official blooper reel for Equestria Girls Friendship Games:
http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/05/offi...ooper-reel.html
Lots of funny goofs and gags. :lol:

- Berix

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: Animeboye,May 1 2016 on  01:43 PM
In all honesty, I think this whole season in general just hasn't been very good so far. Don't get me wrong, the episodes aren't terrible or anything, they're just nothing very noteworthy either. I'm not sure if I'm just becoming jaded with MLP or what but I haven't enjoyed these episodes as much as I've enjoyed past ones.

One problem I had was actually with one of the earlier episodes of this season. The one with Maud Pie. I don't dislike Maud but I do think she's a pretty one dimensional character. So much so that it almost feels intentional. Her obsession with rocks was cute and even kind of funny at first but now it's just tiring because that's really all there is to her. Rocks. Every sentence that comes out of her mouth has something to do with rocks and it's just really not that funny anymore. I've noticed the same thing with Twilight being so obsessive compulsive about making sure everything is just so. It used to be a cute quirk of hers that gave her more character but now it's starting to feel like that is her character. We see this in the season six opener and we even saw a little of it in the latest episode.

Characters like Pinkie and Spike also fell into this trap albeit a bit sooner than a character like Twilight did. Pinkie used to be the lighthearted jokester who wanted to make others laugh and be as great a friend as she could be. In the first season, we see that even though Pinkie loves pranks, she still knows when a prank goes too far such as when she decides not to prank Fluttershy because she thought it might hurt her. That really showed depth on Pinkie's part and made her that much more likable.

Then three seasons later, we have Pinkie just completely unaware of Fluttershy's feelings in Fili Vanilli. She scares Fluttershy so much with her insane what if scenarios that she, on numerous occasions, drives the poor pony to tears. And THIS is the same pony who didn't want to pull a prank on her friend because she was afraid it would hurt her feelings?

Spike, while I don't think he's necessarily been flanderized, I still think he's been getting worse treatment over the course of the show. In the beginning he was pretty much the little brother of the Mane Six. He could be a brat, laughing at their misfortunes (i.e after the poison joke messes with them) but he still clearly cared about them and they still clearly cared about him. By season four, it seemed like he had become the punching bag of the series. Most of the jokes that involved Spike were usually done at his expense.

But my biggest issue with MLP right now is that when it comes down to it, MLP just doesn't take any risks. I'm not saying it should be like Animaniacs and include more subtle adult humor or be like say, Batman the Animated Series and have dark, depressing storylines but just something a bit different. Lauren Faust once said that she originally wanted the characters to have more adventures so why not do something like that? Have them go on adventures, have them fight villains more often than just at the beginning and/or end of the season, have them go to other parts of Equestria(they've started doing this a little more which I think is pretty cool). I don't think slice-of-life stuff is bad, per se but I liken it to cake. It can be good and anyone can enjoy it but it's not something you should always have. It's good as a once in a while thing.

And maybe have an episode where not everything is wrapped up neatly with a pretty little bow on top. One thing I loved about the Reflections Arc in the comics was that not everything worked out perfectly in the end. A sacrifice had to made and there was no deus-ex-machina to reverse it. The arc had plenty of plot holes (one of which relates to the previously mentioned sacrifice) but I still enjoyed it. I won't spoil anymore but I thought it was a good read. Not outstanding, but good.

Anyway, point being, the series did use to do this with the ponies entering a competition and not always winning in the end (although that's changed too) but why not do that with more scenarios? Maybe have a friendship problem that starts to be resolved but isn't fully resolved at the end of the episode? That would be a great lesson for kids too that sometimes problems aren't solved right away and it can be a gradual process.

Even with all that said though, I do still enjoy this show and I do still love these characters. I just want to see more done with MLP. The series still has so much potential left in it and I just want to see that potential utilized.
I too think the quality of the series is going downhill very quickly.  I still think the best season BY FAR was season 1.  Each season has gone down a little in quality.  I can't even remember any episodes from season 5 off the top of my head.  They're just not special or memorable.  The fact that they've introduced Starlight Glimmer proves that they've run out of steam/ideas.  I don't like Starlight Glimmer.  Never have, never will.  She's worse than a background pony and is flatter than Derpy (who really has no canon character development).  I wouldn't care if she died.  That's pretty bad.  Why?  Because they have made absolutely NO effort to get me to care about her.  It's just been a "well, we're shoving this character down your throat whether you like it or not" kind of thing.

MLP has been turned into nothing more than a massive cash grab.  It's like they don't even care about the quality they crap out so long as they produce something by the deadline.  Many characters are acting out of character, and no respect is paid to the earlier episodes.  I was really hoping MLP would mature gradually and that we'd get a dozen seasons or so before it was retired gracefully, but it seems that they're just going to beat this dead horse / squeeze this rock until they can't get any more blood out of it.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I disagree. Perhaps it is a benefit of having become a bronie at a later time than you, but on the other hand I have come to know many long time bronies who agree that the makers of the series continue to show the degree of enthusiasm for their work and for what they are doing that is reflected in the quality of the show (unlike in case of LBT 14 where I couldn't help but feeling that the makers of the movies just didn't care about LBT at all and just saw it as a job). MLP has always been a cash grap. It was the point for a series with the aim to sell Hasbro toys. However, the makers of the show sure do something for their money and the love for the show I see from so many of the bronies I know is not lessened by the economic basis for the show.
I too was (and still am to some degree) a sceptic about starlight glimmer and I do hope that she won't become as frequent and permanent an addition to necessiate a term along the lines of "Mane7" or so. However, what we did see of her so far in the sixth season seemed interesting to me. In the last episode she repeatedly showed a kind of deadpan humor about her past which I found quite amusing. Moreover the presence of Starlight allows for Twilight to appear in a new role, that of a teacher and in this role end up in the kind of "testing stress" situations so typical for Twilight (while trying to prove to Celestia that she is a good teacher). Admittedly, it was over the top for her in the last episode, but I do see a lot of potential there.
The bronie fandom as I am experiencing it these days (very much looking forward to a meetup on Saturday) is vibrant, creative and mostly very friendly :yes
I feel sorry for you that it you no longer experience it the same way.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I know what the writers are trying to do with Starlight Glimmer.  It's the "sixth ranger" idea.  You bring in someone with a different background, usually from the forces of evil, to the side of the team of good to shake up the status quo.  Whether or not it will work we still have yet to see.  I know, you can go with the whole "But this makes seven" argument, but trust me, it's never won, so don't bother.  Apparently, numbers don't really apply to this troupe.

The biggest problem I have with Starlight Glimmer is her terrible backstory that doesn't work.  Heck, I've come up with several rewrites that could have helped.  It just doesn't work and the writers have to live with that for one they want to try and make a main stay.

This latest episode had Starlight Glimmer do what most "sixth ranger" characters do, have their past haunt them and turn that into an episode.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  The opinion of this episode has been mixed.  Most who liked it were just happy Trixie returned.  Really doesn't bold well for the episode, does it?

Anyways, I can see how the episode's plot would work for Trixie becoming Starlight's friend, but I think Discord would have been a better option.  Then again, I know how well Twilight would take that.  Hilarity would definitely ensue from there.  Probably even turn out a better episode in the end.

I'm kind of rambling now, but I'm sure you get my point.  Starlight Glimmer is meant to be the "sixth ranger" of the team and we'll see how this will work out for the plots that will likely come.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So far I agree the series is slowing going down hil. I think they aren't putting in the effort at all anymore like they used to. The quality of the show is declining. But the first few seasons have been pretty decent. Season five had a lot of good and bad episodes. Mostly have the season was bad not great. The music was amazing in
Season five. And season six Is okay so far. The first episode was actually decent and good. I liked sunburst he's not a bad character. So far the show as a whole was good now the writers have to me join just gave up and not adding effort at all. I can say this they're trying tho witch is good. So I have hopes season six will try and be decent and maybe even good.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
perhaps over time twilight will appear less and starlight glimmer may take her place, a bit. But we'll have to wait and see.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe that might just happen who knows but new episode is tomorrow I can't wait to see it

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Today is a big day for someone in the show!  Today, someone has achieved their big dream.  Yet, everything will come crashing down for them and it won't be their fault!  Get the summary below.

Summary: Rainbow Dash has achieved her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt!  However, on her first day as a Wonderbolt, Rainbow makes a bad first impression, earning her a nickname that haunts her.

They say "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me!", but the truth is, names hurt.  They hurt a lot.  A lot more than those who made that saying give credit for.  Let's hope they do this lesson right.

Here's the link for the Live Streams.

Season 6 Episode 7 - Newbie Dash Live Steam

I'll see ya after the episode for my review.

See ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes my favorite character get's there own episode hope they don't mess it up

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST~

Writers, you had one job!  One!  And you messed it up twice in a row!  Yeah, didn't like this one.  Spoiler review below!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me" is a lesson that needs to die because of how much of a lie it is.  The fact they put this lesson into the episode really doesn't help it.  Names hurt!  They hurt a lot!

I can see why people wonder to this day "Why does Rainbow want to be a Wonderbolt again?" I mean, they really don't make a good impression.  Here, they call Rainbow Dash the old "Rainbow Crash" nickname.  Which apparently brings back bad memories of how she got that nickname in flight school.  Apparently, the same thing happened that happened back then.  She crashed into a garbage can.

The scenes of Rainbow impersonating her friends were cringe-worthy time wasters.  They didn't help her and they didn't help the episode.

Heck, you want to know why she's now okay with The Wonderbolts calling her Rainbow Crash?  It's because they all have nicknames that bring back their own terrible first day on the job.  Spitfire also has one that's apparently worse than Rainbow's, but we never get to know it because it was whispered in the new member's ear.  If you are going to bring that up tell us what it is!  Don't hide it!  That joke doesn't help you!

The only real saving grace is the joke of Pinkie Pie with the cotton candy!  However, even that doesn't help it much!

Last week's episode may have been bad, but this one was worse. :x

See ya for the episode post!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
I thought this episode was just fine, not great but also not terrible.

Rainbow Dash finally achieves her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt for real, so of course that's one big positive for this episode. But then she makes a rookie mistake and gets stuck with an all-too-familiar nickname.

I didn't really like the part where Rainbow Dash impersonated each of her friends, though seeing how she changed her hairstyle for each of them immediately reminded me of that gag last season where she briefly impersonated Twilight, so perhaps there was some inspiration there (and perhaps took it a little too far in this case).

I had a feeling early on that the nickname was some kind of Wonderbolt tradition (Applejack suggesting that every Wonderbolt probably had a rough time at first, plus Soarin's nickname being "Clipper" were the only clues I needed to confirm this), so Rainbow being called "Crash" didn't really bother me that much.

I honestly don't know what Rainbow was trying to achieve with that storm cloud during the performance, but even Scootaloo knew it was a bad idea from the start. Rainbow sure was lucky to get away from that incident with only a few minor injuries and a one-month probation.

Overall, it was okay, but it could've been better.

(end spoilers)

- Berix

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The episode was alright it wasn't great. The stuff I did like was she made it to the wonder bolts her life long dream. But the bully by her teammates isn't cool at all. Teammates are suppose to put you up not down. The name calling was childish and not called for at all. And the way she tried to impress them with the storm cloud was just not the right way to do it. So her punishment was the right one by putting her on probation. Overall I thought it was pretty decent better than the god awful Trixie episode.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I thought the new episode was very good. sad they didn't have different end credits music. But I still liked the episode and it was pretty accurate to how military pilots gain their call signs. And yes bronies in the military have confirmed this.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
So Rainbow Dash finally achieves her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt...what could possibly go wrong?

All joking aside, I'm really starting to wonder what Dash even sees in the Wonderbolts at this point. Aside from Soarin', the Wonderbolts have been terrible to RD. Spitfire and I believe it was Fleetfoot try to get Rainbow Dash to abandon Bulk Biceps and Fluttershy to fly with them, they lie to Soarin' when he gets injured because they think Rainbow Dash would be a better flyer, they don't even visit him when he's recuperating, and in this episode, they give her crap because of one little mistake. Oh, but it's okay because they all have embarrassing nicknames. Geez, I sure hope one of the Wonderbolts didn't break a limb on their first day. They'd probably be called Snappy.

Like others have said, Rainbow Dash acting like her friends was really cringey. It added nothing and was just filler. Painful, irritating filler. The sad thing is, this could have been pretty funny but here, the idea of Rainbow Dash acting like say Fluttershy or Applejack just falls flat on its face.

I liked the Wonderbolts of seasons one and two better. They seemed to be much more likable back then. Spitfire seemed more easygoing and friendly instead of the new uptight, manipulative, nasty Spitfire we've got now. Back then Spitfire actually gave RD and the other Wonderbolts respect. Not to mention, I liked her season one voice a lot better than her current one.

To finish, I really wish the writers would give us a reason to like the Wonderbolts (with the exception of Soarin') again because they have just been made into really awful ponies these past few seasons. With everything RD has done for them (including saving their home numerous times), you'd think she'd get a little more respect from them. Man, if I met the people I looked up to growing up and they treated me like that, I'd probably be devastated.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
It was okay they don't put effort at all anymore in to these episodes witch is really sad.