The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST!~

Hello, my friends!  My friends, hello!  It's time for more pony!  Today, Rarity takes center stage with her ever expanding boutique business.  Get the summary below!

Summary: It's the grand opening of Rarity's Boutique in Manehatten.  However, her friends almost ruin the big event and an article threatens to expose that.

Well, that's reputation down the drain if I ever saw it.  Get the link for the Live Streams below!

Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec Live Stream
Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec Live Stream

Now, I have chosen to start changing things up!  I'll give my review tomorrow, but still post the online links after the episode has aired.  I'll feel more comfortable and have a better idea of what I want to say by then.

So, until then, see ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST!~

I think it's good I'm saving my review for tomorrow.  This episode definitely took a different approach of how they did things.

Links are below.

Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec Dailymotion Version
Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec Dailymotion Version

Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec YouTube Version
Season 6 Episode 9 - Saddle Row & Rec YouTube Version

See ya tomorrow for my review! :wave

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The episode was eh to okay. Like I said I don't like rarity episodes at all. She's such a drama queen and it's annoying. But over all it wasn't to bad. I sorta liked the interview segments where the other gave there real thoughts on her new store. And I liked how the two rarities the good and the bad where being sarcastic. And I liked the fact DJ-Pon-3 was in the episode. So overall they did a better job than the previous episodes since this seemed like more effort was added to it.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
This episode had an interesting format of what I'd describe as a flashback within a flashback. The "present day" was Rarity reading the article with her friends, the "main flashback" was the article writer interviewing everyone, and the "inner flashback" directly covered the events of this episode. I'm pretty sure there's a name for this type of episode format, but I certainly have no idea if there really is one.

Kinda interesting that the reason Rarity's friends mess up is because when Rarity gives them certain tasks she believes they can each handle, they initially try to do what they think Rarity would do (with Pinkie Pie even going through the shoulder angel and devil gag), which predictably leads to to problems. They soon realize that they should do things their own way and that of course leads to a much better result.

With this being a Manehattan based episode for Rarity's new boutique, I knew that Coco Pommel had to make an appearance. Too bad she ended up with a cold and couldn't do anything to help.

We also had Pinkie Pie briefly mention the events of "Too Many Pinkie Pies", and in a funny background event, it looks like one of those Pinkie clones got away and is now living in Manehattan (now there's some fanfiction potential).

I had not expected this episode to be among my favorites, but the format they used was fascinating enough that I'll like this episode anyway.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There was a new meme posted quickly after the episode aired.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~REVIEW POST!~

Well, let's see what I think after a whole day!  Spoilers below!

This was definitely a different approach, so I'm glad I took nearly a day to figure out what to say.  Who knew that such a coincidence would happen?  I chose to take a different approach and so did the episode.

The story is told from a newspaper article, which is told from a restaurant setting that goes back to the events that happened.  We often cut back to the restaurant for a laugh or two, but it's not done too often that you don't know what's going on.

Rarity is opening her second expansion, which is in Manehatten and the place needs some work.  One problem after another happens.  We not only have a place that needs work, but the backroom has raccoons, there's a place to party upstairs, the merchandise need to be organized, they need employees and the one who got you the place wants his daughter to be hired and she's not a good choice to be hired.  Disaster would be an understatement.

Saying things don't go well would also be an understatement.  Fluttershy asking the raccoons to leave only makes them angry, Twilight can't figure out the best way to organize everything, Pinkie can't truly bring herself to ruin the upstairs party, (Sure she tries, but even she is displeased with herself.) Rainbow can't figure out who to hire and Applejack gets on the bad side of the one who got Rarity the place.  All the while, Rarity is stuck setting up the front window because her friends locked her in there.  Can't let her know things are going so badly.

In the end, they figure out that they had to do things their way.  Rainbow hires all three applicants, Pinkie has the party moved to the boutique for the opening, Twilight gets everything organized and she unlocks the place Rarity was in just in time for the opening, Fluttershy hires the raccoons as servants and Applejack figures out how to work the owner's daughter's ideas in. (Spoons are clothes now.  Deal with it!) All in all, things went well in the end.

As for the points we cut back to the restaurant, a good chunk of those scene were enjoyable.  My favorite was when the check arrived for Pinkie she had the reporter pay for it.  That really got me to laugh.  That was only second to seeing that a Pinkie clone had escaped to Manehatten.  Better get Twilight on that and make sure she zaps the fake.

Oh, and I feel sorry for our dear Coco!  Hope she gets better soon.

This was a good episode and very fun to watch.  One I wouldn't mind watching again.  Very well done.

Next week, we have Rarity trying to give Applejack the day off.  Probably not the best idea.

See ya later! :wave

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The episode was funny and overall enjoyable to watch.  It lacked the spark that I've come to expect from earlier episodes, but it was acceptable.  There have been quite a few stinker episodes through seasons 2-5, but almost every episode of season 6 so far has really been low quality.  I'm hoping this episode will reverse that trend.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
This was a pretty enjoyable episode. The way the story was told was unique for MLP and it had some legitimately funny moments. I liked the idea of turning the boutique into a boutique/dance club. That was a pretty creative and clever idea. Also, the Pinkie clone being seen at the restaurant. I wonder if they'll follow up on that.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Let's hope they continue down this road and not make horrible episodes in the future.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, as expected of the fandom, guess who has fanfics?  My favorite of the bunch following the trend.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/330362/just-a-clone

Also, we have a fandom name for one of the ponies at the party.  Meet Pacific Glow.

Also yes, that is a pacifier hanging from her neck.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST!~

Another Saturday is here and it's time for a new episode of pony!  So, here we go!

Summary: Rarity convinces Applejack to take a day off and join her to relax at the spa.  Twilight and Spike take over the chores, but they prove to be harder than they expected.

There's been debate as to why things would be difficult for Twilight, (Her being an alicorn and all.) so we'll see what the writers come up with.  Get the link for the Live Streams below.

Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off Live Stream
Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off Live Stream

Remember, from now on my review will come tomorrow.

Until then, see ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This post is not a review, but something I want to bring up in spoilers ahead of time and to keep in mind when you all give out your reviews.

In the episode, Applejack is shown to also raise pigs.  The question becomes why, especially with the vegetarian thing going on.  I looked it up and pigs are killed for more than just meat.  Apparently they are also killed for clothing, cosmetics and medicinal use.  This puts the world of pony at a darker light when you think about it.

Those who read the spoiler, keep this in mind when covering the episode, okay?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Here's the online versions.  Remember, keep the certain thing in mind that I mentioned in my last post when reviewing this.

Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off Dailymotion Version
Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off Dailymotion Version

Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off YouTube Version
Season 6 Episode 10 - Applejack's Day Off YouTube Version

My review will come tomorrow!

See ya later! :wave

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay today's Apple Jack episode was actually pretty good. I enjoyed it actually it's amazing we got another decent episode this week. The lesson in this episode was good. I liked how Apple Jack works very hard and tries to keep up with the farm. But I did like how she tried to take a day off and go to the spa with the annoying drama queen. And the way Twilight and Spike tried to help was very nice even tho they failed to do the task at hand. And Rainbow Dash needs to learn not to be a wimp. Who cares if she goes to the spa for massages and other stuff. But the lesson about trying new things instead of doing it a new way was good. It's hard to break out of old habits and doing it differently. But they pulled it off quite well. So I'll give this episode a 7/10. It was pretty thought out and decently written.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
I have zero interest in spas, so I will say that this episode turned out much better than I had anticipated. More than once, just when I thought I had the whole thing figured out, things went in a direction I did not anticipate.

First, Applejack is frequently too busy with chores to go to the spa with Rarity. With the rest of the Apple family apparently out of town, Twilight and Spike offer to handle one of these chores so Applejack can enjoy just one hour to relax, but both sides encounter problems.

At the spa, the line for the one thing Applejack wants becomes so long that she decides to find the problem (which turns out to be a leaky steam pipe) and fixes it herself, but all of that takes up the entire hour. Meanwhile, Twilight (rather predictably) insists on following the checklist word for word, despite how each step turns out weirder than the last.

Now comes the direction I had not expected. Applejack explains why she does each step on that checklist, and her friends make her realize just how pointless many of those tasks actually are, due to the underlying problems they solved had already been fixed. So then they move on to some other chores, and what basically happens is that while Applejack has been doing tasks one at a time, her friends demonstrate how much easier it is to get the whole sequence done in one move.

The message of this episode (old habits that are very time-consuming can be hard to break) does get me on a personal level, for I will confess that I still have certain habits to this day that do take up quite a bit of time. While not as problematic as Applejack's, I have already identified many of them and even taken a few steps for improvements. So it is this personal connection that gives me a rather favorable view of this episode.

(end spoilers)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls