The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Quest for the Energy Stones

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Finally, after an extra long break and further distractions, I've finished the next chapter. I hope there are at least a few who will read this story and post replies.

-------
Chapter 30
Into the Ice

By mid-morning the next day, the gang had once again gathered near the tablet at the Kini-Nui temple. Now that they had found two of the Energy Stones, they believed that they had four more left to find. To find the next Energy Stone, they would need to reveal the next clue on the tablet.

“How are we going to reveal the clue to the next Energy Stone?” asked Cera.

“Chomper revealed the first clue just by touching the tablet, but he couldn't reveal another clue. But when Spike touched the tablet, another clue appeared. I think that one of us who hasn't touched the tablet should touch it so we can see the next clue,” replied Littlefoot.

“I guess there's only one way to find out if that's true,” said Ruby. She walked up to the tablet and touched it. Sure enough, another single row of letters appeared on the tablet.

Takua walked up to the tablet and studied the clue. The symbol next to the clue was six lines that went from a central point and outward in equal directions. “Looks like this is the clue to find the Energy Stone of Ice,” said Takua. “To find it, we will have to 'seek beneath the white mountain'.”

“The White Mountain?” exclaimed Cera. “We know where that is, and I don't want to go there again!”

“But Cera, if we do not go there we will not get the Energy Stone. No, no, no,” said Ducky.

“If it will make you feel any better, we'll bring a Ko-Matoran to help us,” said Takua.

For Cera, that would just make things worse. However, she decided that it would be useless to argue against everyone, so she decided to accept it. “Fine, but as soon as we're done with this, I don't even want to see a single piece of ice for the rest of my life!”

“Alright, but which Ko-Matoran should come with us?” asked Littlefoot.

“How about Matoro?” suggested Ruby.

“How can a translator like him help us find an Energy Stone?” asked Cera.

“Matoro is more than just a translator,” stated Takua. “He isn't with Turaga Nuju all of the time. Whenever he wasn't on duty as a translator, he was often hunting Rahi out in the Drifts not far from Ko-Koro. If anyone knows how to survive in such a cold and desolate area, it's him.”

“I wonder if Turaga Nuju will allow him to come with us,” said Chomper.

“Only one way to find out,” said Takua as he began heading towards Ko-Koro. The others followed him.
________

The gang soon arrived at Ko-Koro. They entered the Sanctum and soon found Nuju along with Matoro, both of whom were busy studying the prophecies written upon the wall. Everyone knew that it was always a bad idea to interrupt a Ko-Matoran from his work, but the gang needed an answer right now. “Turaga Nuju, may we ask you something?” asked Takua.

Nuju turned to face them and replied in his usual form of clicks, whistles, and gestures. Matoro then turned to face them as well. “He says that there is no need to ask your question. He knows why you are here,” Matoro translated.”You are going to find the Energy Stone of Ice, and you wish to have a Ko-Matoran accompany you to help you through the harsh terrain you will face. Turaga Nuju will let me come with you. Just wait a few minutes so that I may prepare myself for the journey ahead of us.”

Nuju then made more clicks, whistles, and gestures. Matoro translated. “He also suggests that you ask Kopeke to come with us as well. He may not be much company, for he is hard and prefers solitude. However, his lack of cheer is made up for in his great amount of skill. He is athletic and skilled in ice crafting. Wait outside the village with him until I am ready to depart with you.” Matoro then walked away to get some things he would need for this part of the quest.

Although most of them weren't sure about it, they decided that they should ask Kopeke to come with them. A few minutes later, they found him standing in the same place in which they first met him. Once Takua got his attention, he asked, “Will you help us find one of the Energy Stones?”

“I will come,” replied Kopeke, surprisingly without any hesitation.

They then headed back to the village and waited for Matoro to arrive. A few minutes later, Matoro arrived, saying that he was ready to go with them.

However, Ruby noticed that Matoro had something else besides a backpack on his back. It resembled a long straight stick, positioned vertically with the top well above his head. Attached to the top end of the stick was something that seemed to be similar to a leaf, but was shaped like an elongated triangle and was bright orange in color. “What is that?” asked Ruby, pointing at the object.

“This?” asked Matoro, grabbing the object. “It's a flag. It's brightly colored so that it's easier to see. I decided to bring this so that no one will get lost. If we are in a snowy area and we're in the middle of a storm, just remember to stay near this flag and you won't get lost.”

“That's a great idea,” commented Littlefoot.

“Alright, since you guys say you've been to the White Mountain before, how about you lead us there?” asked Takua.

“No problem, Takua,” replied Chomper. They all then left the village and began heading for the White Mountain, where they would find the next Energy Stone.
________

It took no less than an hour for the group to arrive at the White Mountain. Now all they had to do was find the Energy Stone somewhere on the mountain. “How will we find the Energy Stone in this place?” asked Ducky.

“Since the clue said to 'seek beneath the white mountain', I think we should try to find a cave entrance or something like that, then look inside to see if the Energy Stone is there,” replied Takua.

Matoro knelt down and grabbed a handful of snow from the ground. He then let it fall from his hand, observing how the powdery snow fell and noticed a lack of wind. “I fear the first task may not be so easy,” stated Matoro. “This snow is fresh, which means that it fell recently. Unless the wind picks up, any cave entrance we may find could be buried in snow, making it nearly impossible to see.”

“And if we can't find it?” asked Cera.

“The only guaranteed way to find a cave entrance in this case would be to step on every single part of this mountain until we stumble across it, and that could easily take days.”

There was silence for a moment. Finally, Takua said, “I guess we better get started. We won't get anything done by just standing here.” Everyone agreed with him. They decided to head for the top and work their way down.

About a third of the way up, the group came to a large crevasse with no obvious way across it. “Do you think the cave entrance is down there?” asked Chomper.

“Only one way to find out,” replied Littlefoot. “Petrie, fly down there and tell us if you find a cave entrance.”

“What? Me?” asked Petrie. “No way! Ask someone else.”

“If I was a Flyer, I'd volunteer. But since that isn't true, I'm afraid you have no choice, Petrie,” said Takua.

Knowing he indeed had no choice, Petrie sighed in frustration and said, “Fine, me quick-look.” He then flew into the crevasse. Fortunately, it wasn't too dark to see the bottom. After a few minutes, he had seen nothing but ice, snow, and more ice, but no possible cave entrances. As he flew back to the others, he noticed something on the bottom of the crevasse. It was a large creature, likely a Rahi, considering its bio-mechanical appearance. He flew closer to get a better look at the Rahi. This turned out to be a bad idea, as its massive jaws rushed towards him and snapped shut. Fortunately, he managed to avoid those jaws. He quickly flew back up to the others.

When Petrie returned, Littlefoot asked, “What did you see down there?”

“No caves. Just snow, ice, and a big ugly scary Rahi,” replied a still startled Petrie.

Takua looked over the edge and saw the Rahi Petrie was referring to. “A Muaka,” said Takua. “And it's wearing infected masks.”

The large, tiger-like Rahi then noticed the group, so it began attempting to climb the wall of the crevasse. The ice made it difficult, but not impossible.

“We'd better find a way to stop it before it reaches us,” said Matoro. “A jaw like that has been known to severely injure Matoran, and something tells me that the young dinosaurs here would not be able to survive it.”

“How are we going to stop it, throw snow on it?” asked Cera.

“It's worth a try,” replied Chomper. He then grabbed handfuls of snow and tossed them onto the Muaka. Obviously, the Muaka wasn't bothered by it at all.

“That won't do, Chomper,” said Takua. “We'll need a lot more snow.” Using his feet, Takua shoved large amounts of snow onto the Muaka. It was bothered just enough that it temporarily stopped climbing. “That's only enough to delay him. We need another plan.”

While most of the others were busy shoving snow into the crevasse, Kopeke was busy with something else. He observed the mountain slope, then looked down into the crevasse. Finally, he decided exactly what he would do. He grabbed a handful of snow and began compacting it.

Littlefoot noticed Kopeke making a snowball. “Kopeke? What are you doing?” asked Littlefoot.

“Remain calm,” stated Kopeke. Then, with all of his strength, he threw the snowball towards a higher part of the slope. The snowball had been thrown so far away that the impact was barely audible. Then a low rumble was heard, and it began to grow louder. Along with that rumble, it appeared as if part of the slope was coming down the mountain right towards them.

As everyone heard the noise, they looked up and were shocked at what they saw. “Uh-oh, avalanche!” shouted Takua.

Although the gang had never heard of that word before, they knew what would happen to them if they didn't get away from the rapidly-approaching wall of snow. “We have to get out of here now!” shouted Littlefoot.

“No! Stay here,” said Kopeke.

“What!? Are you crazy!?” exclaimed Cera.

“Just watch,” replied Kopeke. The others weren't sure about it, but since Kopeke wasn't going anywhere, they decided to stay with him.

The avalanche was approaching them very fast. Soon, the only thing that stood between them and certain doom was the large crevasse. The avalanche fell into the crevasse. The Muaka roared in frustration as it was buried by the huge amount of snow. By the time the avalanche had almost passed, the crevasse was completely filled in with snow. What remained of the avalanche was only enough bury everyone's feet.

Everything was now quiet. Most of the group couldn't believe what had just happened. Petrie actually fainted due to the fact that the massive avalanche had just stopped right in front of them. Everyone was silent for a few seconds.

“Shall we continue?” suggested Kopeke, as he began to cross the filled-in crevasse.

Nobody said anything as they crossed the filled-in crevasse as well. After such an event and comment, one would have expected some laughter. However, Kopeke never even cracked a smile at all. A typical response from a Ko-Matoran.

Once everyone had crossed the crevasse, they continued up the slope to try to find a cave entrance that could lead them to the Energy Stone. After crossing the crevasse, Matoro noticed the wind was starting to pick up.
-------

Read and review as always. Although I have chosen not to put this story on fanfiction.net, I am very determined to get it finished.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very good chapter. I didn't think the LBT gang would react so well to a snowy environment. Keep this story up!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Next chapter!

-------
Chapter 31
Beneath the White Mountain

The group was now struggling to keep moving in the blizzard that had just hit. The strong winds made it difficult to move in the direction they were going, and the snow blowing into their faces wasn't making it any easier.

“I can't believe how fast this storm came in,” said Cera. The wind was so loud that she had to yell just so anyone could even hear her.

“Yeah, even I'm surprised by it,” said Takua, who also had to yell over the noise of the wind.

The storm was making most of them feel very cold. Littlefoot noticed that Matoro didn't seem as affected by the storm as his friends were. “Aren't you cold, Matoro?” asked Littlefoot.

“Not really,” replied Matoro. “Storms like these are very common out in the Drifts. I guess you could say that I've gotten used to it.”

Littlefoot also had to admit that it was indeed a good idea for Matoro to bring that flag with him. Otherwise, half of the group could have easily gotten lost by now. Matoro was at the front of the group, followed by Littlefoot, Spike, Takua, Cera, Kopeke, Ruby, and Chomper. Ducky was riding on Spike's back, so she didn't worry about getting lost. Petrie had wrapped himself around Littlefoot's neck, struggling to stay warm.

Chomper felt very cold. He was shivering a lot. Soon, the cold became too much for him to continue on. He stopped and fell to his knees as he continued to shiver. Fortunately, Ruby looked back and noticed him there. “Chomper, you must not stop or you will get lost!” she exclaimed. “We have to keep going so we won't get lost!” She decided to carry him until he was able to walk again, which didn't seem likely to happen anytime soon.

Although they all knew they were on the side of a mountain, there seemed to be nothing at all in sight, considering the low visibility. “Anytime I'd like to find a cave entrance, now would be the time,” grumbled Cera. Immediately after saying this, she fell into a hole in the ground that had been covered in snow. She didn't fall far, but everyone quickly noticed what had happened.

Everyone looked down into the hole. They couldn't see Cera because the hole curved in one direction towards where she had ended up. “Are you alright, Cera?” asked Littlefoot.

“I'm fine,” replied Cera. “At least it's not so cold and windy down here.”

“In that case, move over, because I'm coming down there with you,” said Takua. He then jumped into the hole and slid down the curved icy passage.

“Why did he do that?” asked Ducky.

“I get it, he wants us to take shelter in there until the storm passes,” remarked Littlefoot. “We better follow him.” He then jumped into the hole and slid down the icy passage as well, taking Petrie with him. He was then followed by Spike with Ducky, Ruby with Chomper, Matoro, and Kopeke.

Everyone looked around and noticed that they were now in a small ice cavern. It was still relatively cold, but nowhere near as cold as it was outside. Also, it was actually not that dark.

Despite how much warmer it was, Ruby noticed that Chomper was still shivering. “Chomper is still cold. Does anyone have anything that can warm him up?” asked Ruby.

“Of course I do,” replied Takua. He then took his heatstone out of his backpack and removed the lid from the canister that contained it. He set it down on the snowy ground so that only the canister and not the stone itself touched the snow. He asked everyone who was cold to gather around it to warm up. The gang did just that, and were quickly feeling more comfortable. Takua also warned them to not touch the stone itself, since it was very hot.

As everyone sat around the heatstone, Littlefoot realized something. “Hey, remember we were looking for a cave entrance? I think we just found it, right here,” he said.

“I think you're right, Littlefoot. In fact, I think I see a tunnel that might lead us further down inside this mountain,” said Takua, pointing at the tunnel entrance at the other side of the cavern. “I suggest that we rest here for a few minutes, then head down that tunnel and hopefully find the Energy Stone.” Everyone agreed with him.

A few minutes later, everyone was ready to find the Energy Stone of Ice. Since there was snow on the floor of the tunnel, it prevented anyone from slipping on the ice that the tunnel was made of. It wasn't long before they reached a much larger ice cavern. They were quite high up in that cavern, and the only way to another tunnel on the other side was a raised pathway made entirely of ice.

Matoro decided to be at the front. As soon as he stepped on the icy path, he warned, “Be very careful here, this ice is very slippery.”

As each of them began to walk across on the path, they moved slowly and carefully. Cera started slipping a little, but she managed to regain control. Chomper slipped and collided into one of Littlefoot's legs. He decided to hold onto that leg until they were across. Littlefoot said that he wouldn't mind it.

They were now about halfway across. Suddenly, Ruby started slipping on the ice. She tried to regain her balance, but she was unable to do it. As she began to slip off the right edge of the high pathway, her flailing arms caused her to grab Matoro's arm, dragging him down with her. “Ruby!” shouted Matoro in anger as he was pulled down.

“Ruby! Matoro!” shouted Littlefoot as he saw them fall down the steep slope at the edge of the icy path. They slid down the slope and across the cavern floor until they finally stopped by colliding into one of the cavern walls.

The two of them got up slowly, since the collision had been painful. “I'm very sorry about that, Matoro, very sorry I am,” said Ruby.

Matoro began looking around. “You should be, because there's no way we can climb up that icy slope,” he said. He then noticed another tunnel that led out of the cavern. “I guess our only option now is to go down that tunnel and hope that it will somehow lead us back to the others.” He then headed for the tunnel with Ruby following behind him.

Back on the icy pathway, the others were still trying to safely get across. The path now sloped downward a little. Spike then started to slip. He was now sliding down the slope and was unable to stop. He then collided into Cera, the impact causing Ducky to fall off his back. Fortunately, she managed to grab onto one of Littlefoot's legs before she slid too far away. Spike and Cera then collided into Takua and the three of them veered to the left, where they slid down a short but very steep slope.

The slope led to another icy tunnel. They continued to slide through that tunnel until they were stopped by the snowy floor of a small cavern. The three of them got up and brushed the snow off of themselves. “Now do you see why I hate this stuff!?” exclaimed Cera.

Takua looked around and noticed another way out of the cavern. “Why don't we actually solve the problem instead of complaining about it? We can't go back the way we came, so our only option is to go that way,” said Takua, pointing at the icy tunnel in front of them.

“Then how are we going to find the others?”

“I guess we'll just have to hope that this tunnel will lead us to them.” Reluctantly, the three of them headed into the tunnel.

The only ones left on the icy path were Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, Chomper, and Kopeke. Ducky and Chomper were still holding onto Littlefoot's legs, while Petrie was flying right above them. However, Kopeke seemed to be used to walking on smooth ice, as he was now far ahead of them and moving even further away.

“Kopeke, slow down. I can't keep up with you,” said Littlefoot. Kopeke made no response. “Kopeke, slow down! Kopeke!” Littlefoot then slipped on the ice and began to slide quickly towards Kopeke. “Woah, Kopeke!”

Finally, Kopeke stopped. He sighed in frustration and turned around. As soon as he turned around, Littlefoot collided into him. Although they were now on the other side of the massive cavern, they were now sliding down the tunnel without any way of stopping.

After sliding past many turns, they were finally stopped by the snowy floor of another small cavern. Petrie, who had been trying to catch up with them, arrived to see them getting up and brushing the snow off of themselves. “Is everyone alright?” asked Littlefoot.

“I think so,” replied Chomper.

“We are all okay. We are, we are,” replied Ducky.

“What we do now?” asked Petrie.

“We need to find the others, first,” replied Littlefoot. “Then we can continue looking for the Energy Stone. I think we should start by continuing down this tunnel, seeing as we can't go back the way we came.” He then turned to Petrie. “Petrie, fly down this tunnel and tell us what you find.”

“No worry-problem,” replied Petrie. He flew down the tunnel and around the first curve, where he disappeared from view. Only a second later, the others heard him scream in terror. Everyone rushed down the tunnel to find him with his back against the wall. He was shaking, not from the cold, but from fear.

“What is it, Petrie?” asked Ducky.

“Th-th-that!” exclaimed Petrie, pointing at the wall in front of him. They looked and were shocked at what they saw. Frozen behind a thick layer of ice on the wall was a Fast-Runner. Judging by his size, he seemed to be younger than Ruby. What was most disturbing was the position he was frozen in. He seemed as if he had been thrown against the wall and was frozen the instant he hit it.

“Woah, how did that happen to him?” asked Chomper.

“Is he...?” asked Ducky, unable to finish.

Fortunately, Kopeke knew what she was talking about. “Truthfully, I doubt it,” he replied.

“Wait a minute, are you saying... he could still be alive in there?” asked Littlefoot.

Kopeke nodded, implying that the answer was yes.

“Then we have to get him out of there,” said Littlefoot.

“I'll get him out of there,” said Chomper. He rushed to the icy wall and began scratching at it. Being a Sharptooth, he believed that his clawed hands would allow him to scratch through the ice. However, this was proving very difficult. He started to get tired after only a minute. To his surprise, the ice seemed unaffected. He gave up and said, “It's no use. I can't even scratch it.”

“What we do now?” asked Petrie.

“Well, if we can't scratch that ice, then we certainly can't break it,” stated Littlefoot. “I guess the only other option would be to melt that ice. But where are we going to find enough heat for it? We certainly don't have it.”

“Takua has a heatstone. He does, he does,” replied Ducky.

“In that case, we need to find Takua and bring him here so he can save this Fast-Runner,” said Littlefoot. He turned to Kopeke. “Kopeke, stay here and make sure nothing bad happens to that Fast-Runner. We'll be back as soon as we can.” He then ran further into the tunnel, with Ducky, Petrie, and Chomper following him.

Kopeke took another look at the frozen Fast-Runner. He might have found it amusing to think that nothing bad could ever happen to someone who was frozen, but humor was not the kind of thing he liked to think about. At least he was pleased to actually have some solitude, even if only for a few minutes.
-------

Read and review, as always.

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great work! I wonder why that Fast-Runner was down there in the first place...

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After further delays and distractions, the next chapter is finished. I can definitely say that this it the longest chapter I have written yet.

-------
Chapter 32
Ice Caves

Takua, Cera, and Spike were walking down an icy tunnel. The floor of the tunnel wasn't slippery because there was snow covering the floor. However, the thickness of the snow layer wasn't consistent. This caused Cera to slip on an icy spot and slide forward down the tunnel, as it was sloped slightly downward.

Takua and Spike were easily able to catch up to her because she didn't go far. She soon came to a stop and found herself face-to-face with a Fast-Biter on the ground. She screamed and quickly backed off a little. She then noticed that it was laying on the ground and was not moving at all. Perhaps it was asleep.

Takua walked up to the unmoving Fast-Biter and brushed off some of the snow that covered it. He then knocked on it and noticed that its body was as stiff as a rock. “Don't worry, he won't attack us,” assured Takua. “He's dead. Frozen solid.” As he spoke, he moved his hand across the frozen body, just to make sure that it really was dead. When he grabbed one of the Fast-Biter's hands, one of its fingers snapped off like a twig. They now realized that this Fast-Biter really was frozen solid. Takua dropped the finger and said, “We better get out of here before any of us end up like this guy.”

“Good idea,” said Cera. They continued on down the tunnel. Out of fear of freezing to death, they were now moving at a slightly faster pace.
________

Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, and Chomper were walking down another icy tunnel. They had no idea where they were going. All they knew was that they had to find Takua soon. “Try to stay together, everyone. We don't want to lose anyone else down here,” said Littlefoot.

Chomper didn't pay attention to Littlefoot's warning. He was too busy observing the icy tunnels and caverns they were traveling through. He had never seen such a place and found it quite fascinating. Soon, without realizing it, he wandered away from the others when the tunnel split in two directions and he went into the tunnel the others didn't take. He was too busy looking around to notice this.

A few seconds later, he saw what appeared to be a sheet of clear ice as a large wall, and he saw a large Sharptooth on the other side of the ice. Chomper screamed and jumped behind a chunk of ice on the floor. He cautiously looked past the edge of the ice chunk and saw that the Sharptooth was doing likewise. He then realized that this was actually his reflection.

“Hey, that's not another Sharptooth. That's me,” said Chomper to himself. He stood in front of the ice, the shape of which made his reflection seem like a large Sharptooth. He decided to do something playful. He stomped his feet and playfully roared, “I am a big, mean, Sharptooth! Grrrrrrr!” He made his reflection show a large mouth full of sharp teeth. He laughed and shouted, “Hey guys, come look at this!” He didn't get any reply. “Guys?” Now he suddenly realized that he was alone.

Chomper ran further down the tunnel and called, “Guys? Where are you?” He continued running until he slipped on the icy floor and slid down the tunnel. He stopped when he collided into an icicle that was sticking up out of the floor. He slowly stood up and tried to back up, only to realize that his tongue was now somehow stuck on the icicle. He tried to pull it off, but it proved to be very difficult. He then tried using his feet, but he actually managed to break off a piece of the icicle, with his tongue still stuck on it. Since ice was just another form of water, he decided to eat the icicle piece in order to get it off his tongue.

With that problem solved, Chomper resumed looking for the others he had wandered away from. Again, he slipped on the icy floor and slid down the tunnel. He soon reached another tunnel, where he landed in a pile of snow. He emerged from the snow pile with some snow atop his head. He turned around and saw that he was now standing in front of Littlefoot, Ducky, and Petrie. “There you are! I thought I would never find you!” he exclaimed.

They clearly weren't too happy about it. “Maybe you should walk in front of us so you won't get lost again,” suggested Littlefoot.

“Good idea,” said Chomper. He shook the snow off of his head, then turned around and started walking. Littlefoot, with Ducky and Petrie on his back, followed him.
________

Further away, Ruby and Matoro were walking through another icy tunnel. Ruby found it strangely quiet down here. The only sound they heard was the echoing of their footsteps. “I find it hard to imagine living and working the way a Ko-Matoran lives and works,” said Ruby. “It seems so... quiet.”

“I guess it's just the way we are, although I would consider myself more friendly and outgoing than most Ko-Matoran,” said Matoro.

“That is good to know, but why do Ko-Matoran prefer silence?”

“I'm not being rude here, but most Ko-Matoran would probably say, 'You would be able to learn more easily if you were to keep your mouth shut'.”

“That does make sense. After all, you can't learn if you can't listen, and you can't listen if you are speaking. Of course, that might only work when someone is trying to teach you something, because if there's no one is talking to you, there's no one to listen to. But then there are other ways you could learn something by not speaking.”

Ruby then noticed something to her right. It was a sheet of ice that appeared to be blocking access to a short tunnel, like a wall. What really caught her attention was what was on the other side of the ice. Its image was distorted by the ice, but there was an object not far behind the ice sheet that glowed an icy blue light. “Look, Matoro! I think I might have found something!” exclaimed Ruby.

Matoro turned to look at the sheet of ice and saw that object as well. “What is it?” he asked.

“I think that is the Energy Stone of Ice. But we can't get it because we are on this side of the ice and not that side.”

Matoro then grabbed one of the small ice picks on the side of his backpack. “Stand back,” he said. Once Ruby had backed up far enough, he swung the ice pick with all of his strength and shattered the wall of ice.

As Matoro put away his ice pick, Ruby walked over the icy shards that once made up the wall of ice and stopped right in front of the Energy Stone. She grabbed it with her hands and tried to pull it out of its position partially in the floor. She struggled for a second, but she managed to get it out. She held it in her hands and looked at it in awe and wonder.

Matoro also looked at the Energy Stone. Ruby was kind enough to let him hold it for a few seconds. He then gave it back to her and said, “Well, it looks like we got what we came here for. Now all we have to do is find the others and get back to the Great Valley.”

Ruby agreed and followed Matoro as he continued down the tunnel they were traveling through, hoping that they would find the others very soon.
________

Takua, Cera, and Spike were still heading down the tunnel at their slightly rapid rate. Takua then slipped on an icy spot and fell flat on his back. Now they realized that their rapid movement was a bad idea. Takua groaned in pain and tried to stand up.

“Are you alright?” asked Cera.

“Yeah, I think so," replied Takua. "I think we should start slowing down a bit. The floor here is starting to get very icy.”

“I think I heard something this way.”

That voice came around a curve in the tunnel that was not too far up ahead. They quickly realized that it was a familiar voice. “Littlefoot, is that you?” asked Takua.

They then saw Littlefoot, Ducky, Petrie, and Chomper appear from around the curve. “Takua! Cera! Spike! We found you!” exclaimed Littlefoot. The two groups rushed towards each other, happy to be together again.

Now all they had to do was find Ruby and Matoro. However, Cera suddenly realized someone else was missing. “Wait a minute, something isn't right here. Where's Kopeke?” asked Cera.

“We told him to stay behind,” replied Littlefoot. “We found a Fast-Runner frozen inside a wall of ice. We told him to stay there until we came back with you guys. We couldn't break the ice, so the only way to save that Fast-Runner is to use Takua's heatstone.”

Realizing someone's life was at risk, Takua quickly agreed to help. Littlefoot led the way back in the direction his group had come from towards the frozen Fast-Runner.
________

A few minutes after finding the Energy Stone, a thought occurred to Ruby. “I've been wondering about something, Matoro,” she said. “When we slipped on that icy path, we fell down a long way. If we want to find the others, doesn't that mean we will have to climb up a long way so that we can get back to where we were?”

As if right on cue, they came around a curve in the tunnel and found themselves in another ice cavern, and the only other exit was at the top of one of the walls, which was much higher up than the length of an adult Longneck. “You had to say that, didn't you?” grumbled Matoro.

Ruby shrugged. “At least I said it before we saw it.” They approached the tall, icy wall that they would now have to climb. “Any ideas on how we are going to get from down here to up there?” asked Ruby.

Matoro had two ice picks, one on each side of his backpack. He grabbed those ice picks and replied, “All I have that would work are these ice picks. I've been able to climb an icy cliff with just two ice picks a few times before. However, I'm not sure if it'll work this time. In order to get you up there as well, I'll need to carry you on my back, and I've never done such a climb with so much weight on my back.”

“What's so bad about it?”

“To reduce the chances of falling off, I need to climb at a constant pace. Climbing by sticking one pick in front of the other requires concentration and as I become exhausted from the climbing, it becomes harder to maintain that concentration. Extra weight on my back will cause me to tire out more quickly, making it more difficult for me to climb.”

“Is there anything I can do to make it easier for you to climb all the way up there without falling off?”

“Yes, try to remain silent for the entire climb. Talking with me will only make it harder for me to concentrate.”

Ruby agreed to do so. Matoro then turned to face the icy wall and knelt down so Ruby could get on his back. She climbed onto his back and wrapped her arms around his neck, Energy Stone in hand. The flag that stuck out of his backpack was in the way a little, but she moved it aside just enough so that it wouldn't bother her too much.

Matoro stood up, took a deep breath and said, “Alright, here we go.” He then ran towards the icy wall and jumped. When he hit the wall, he stuck his ice picks in it and they didn't fall. They were about half a meter away from the cavern floor. He then removed the left pick and stuck it in a little higher than the right one. He removed the right pick and stuck it in a little higher than the left one. Matoro repeated this process continuously, causing them to slowly move upwards along the cavern wall.

Ruby looked up and saw how far Matoro would have to climb. He was doing good at the moment, but both of them knew that it would be a long climb.
________

Kopeke had hardly moved anywhere by the time Littlefoot's group, along with Takua's group, arrived. The frozen Fast-Runner had indeed stayed where he was. Takua's group, having seen the Fast-Runner for the first time, were shocked at what they saw. “What happened to him?” asked Cera.

“I don't know,” replied Takua. “But I'm sure he knows. Of course, the only way he'll be able to talk to us is if we get him out of there.” Takua then took out his heatstone and removed the lid of the canister that contained it. He held it up to the Fast-Runner and, almost immediately, the ice began melting. He moved it all across the entire body of the Fast-Runner to ensure that he would be able to free him more quickly.

After a few seconds, the ice was melting very rapidly. Soon, the layer of ice that covered the young Fast-Runner became so thin that it shattered, causing him to fall off the wall and land on the cave floor. He was breathing slowly and heavily. Takua then put the lid back on the canister of his heatstone. About half a minute later, the Fast-Runner looked up at Takua. Then, to everyone's surprise, he quickly got up and ran away screaming.

“Hey, where are you going? Come back!” called Takua. He ran after the Fast-Runner. The others had no choice but to follow him.

The Fast-Runner soon entered a tunnel none of the others, not even Chomper, had been in. There was a sharp curve up ahead and the floor of it was icy. The Fast-Runner turned but slipped on the ice, landing on his stomach. He quickly got up and continued running. Takua slid on the ice and collided with the tunnel wall. He was stunned for only a second before he resumed his chase. “Come back! I don't want to hurt you!” he called.

The rest of the group, except for Kopeke, slid on the ice and piled up against the wall Takua had collided into. Kopeke slowed down just enough so that when he was on the ice, he was able to turn and keep running without slipping or falling. “Sure, he makes it look easy,” said Cera, sarcastically.

The Fast-Runner now reached a dead-end. He turned around and saw Takua quickly approaching him. Out of options, he got down on the ground and tightly held himself, as if he was expecting to get killed. When Takua saw this, he knew he would have to speak calmly to him. “Don't be afraid. I won't hurt you,” he said in a calm voice. “You must be cold after being stuck inside that ice.” He removed the lid of the canister that contained his heatstone. “Here, this will warm you up.” He held the heatstone close to the Fast-Runner.

The young Fast-Runner was unsure at first, but when he felt the warmth of the heatstone, he began to feel more relaxed. He reached his hands out to take in more of the warmth. When he tried to touch the stone, Takua pulled it back a little and said, “Careful, don't touch it. It's very hot.”

The Fast-Runner was starting to smile by the time the rest of the group arrived. Takua turned to them and said, “I don't know why he ran from us, but I'm sure he'll tell us. I think we should let him warm up a bit before we ask him about what happened to him.” The others agreed and sat on the floor of the cave near the heatstone.
________

Matoro and Ruby were now getting close to the top of the wall. Matoro was now climbing at a slower pace and was breathing heavily. He was clearly getting exhausted, but he kept on going.

Ruby, meanwhile, was still holding on. Since she knew she needed to be silent until they were at the top, she was busy with her thoughts. She thought about Matoro and how great he was for letting her ride on his back while he did all of the climbing. She considered him a real friend. However, as she thought about him, she thought of him as more than just a friend. She had thoughts of him being something much closer to her. She couldn't understand why she had these thoughts. Perhaps a small talk with Matoro would clear this up a bit for her. That would be after they reached the top. For now, she remained silent.

About a minute later, they were at the top. Matoro dug his ice picks into the top edge of the wall he had just climbed, allowing Ruby to climb onto his shoulders and onto what turned out to be the floor of another tunnel. Once Ruby had gotten off, he pulled himself up the rest of the way over the edge. He then put his ice picks back on the sides of his backpack and sat with his back against the tunnel wall.

Matoro was exhausted from all that climbing. Ruby decided to let him rest for a few minutes before deciding to speak with him. When she was ready, she was about to say something when he held up his hand, implying that she needed to be silent again. “I hear voices,” he said. Ruby listened carefully and heard those voices too. “That way.” He pointed to the right of the direction they had come from.

“Do you think we will find the others in that direction?” asked Ruby.

Having finished his rest, Matoro stood up and replied, “Only one way to find out.” He then headed in the direction of the voices with Ruby following close behind.
________

Although the young Fast-Runner was no longer cold, he was still not yet ready to talk. Everyone had thought that his skin was blue because he was cold, but it turned out to be his actual skin color. The gang decided to pass the time by telling Takua about a few more of their past adventures. Nobody knew or were willing to ask if Kopeke was listening.

The gang had just finished talking about one of their adventures when Kopeke suddenly held up his hand and said, “Quiet.” Everyone quickly became silent. Kopeke listened for a few seconds. “Somebody is coming.” Everyone listened carefully and they did indeed hear footsteps approaching. Since they were still in the dead-end, they had nowhere to go. Soon, from around the curve in the tunnel, they saw Ruby and Matoro walking towards them.

“Matoro! Ruby! You found us!” exclaimed Takua. The gang rushed towards Ruby to welcome their friend back.

After receiving those welcomes, Ruby noticed the young Fast-Runner sitting near the heatstone. “What are you doing here?” she asked the Fast-Runner. “Don't you know how dangerous it is to be in a dangerous place like this?”

Takua seemed confused. “Do you know him?” he asked.

“Yes, he is my young brother,” replied Ruby.

“Your brother?” asked Matoro. “If he's supposed to be with the rest of your family, then what is he doing here?”

“Don't ask us,” replied Cera. “We found him frozen inside a wall of ice.”

When Ruby heard this, she was shocked and immediately knew something bad must have happened to her brother. She walked up to him and sat down in front of him. She comforted him by calmly saying, “Don't worry, you're safe now that you are with us and not alone. Could you tell me how you got here and what happened to you?”

Finally, Ruby's brother was willing to speak. “Well, we were on our way back to our home near Hanging Rock. We had to cross the White Mountain because the only other path was blocked by a rock-slide. A storm hit and I got separated from my family. I then ended up down here, but I didn't know which way to go to get out. Then I met him. A dark, shadowy thing who called himself Makuta. He wanted me to give him something called an Energy Stone, but I didn't know what he was talking about. He then somehow covered me in hard water and that's the last thing I can remember. Then I somehow got free. I saw the one your friends call Takua. I had never seen anyone like him before, so I thought he was Makuta. That's why I ran away from all of you. I don't know what an Energy Stone is, but I think we should find it.”

“Don't worry, we won't have to go find that Energy Stone because we already have it,” said Ruby, showing him the Energy Stone in her hand. “It's right here.”

Ruby's brother looked at it with amazement. “That's an Energy Stone? Can I hold it?”

Ruby was about to hand it over when Matoro quickly snatched it out of her hand. He then walked up to Takua and said, “Here Takua, you hold onto this for now.”

Takua was just as shocked and surprised as everyone else. “Uh, Matoro?” he asked. “Didn't you just notice-”

“Notice what?” Matoro then walked around to face Takua's back. “Here, I'll put it in your backpack for you.” Matoro put the Energy Stone in Takua's backpack and walked away. Takua looked at Ruby and her brother and just shrugged. It was obvious that, for some reason, Matoro didn't want Ruby's brother to have the Energy Stone.

Takua began to head down the tunnel and said, “Well, now that we have the Energy Stone, let's get out of here and go home.”

Kopeke then quickly stepped in his way. “No,” he simply said. “The storm outside is still there.”

“He's right,” said Matoro. “We may have been down here for a while, but that storm could still be out there. I suggest we stay here and wait for it to pass.” He then heard Spike yawn. “Besides, it's getting late. I think we should spend the night here. That should allow enough time for the storm to pass.”

Although Matoro's recent act had made everyone unsure about him, they had to agree. Many of them felt tired and decided that they should sleep here. The heatstone would ensure that none of them would freeze.

Everyone soon found a spot to sleep in for the night. If anyone had noticed Ruby choosing to sleep near Matoro, they probably wouldn't have found it worth noticing. Takua sat down on the icy floor with his back against the icy wall. He took off his backpack and set it down on the floor beside him.

No more than an hour later, everyone was asleep. Everyone, that is, except for Ruby's brother. Most of his attention was on Takua, particularly on his backpack which contained the Energy Stone.
-------

Read and review, as always. The next chapter will definitely be worth waiting for.

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very good chapter. I wonder what's up with Ruby's brother?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yet another very long chapter, and not much time each day to work on this story. Depite these problems, I still managed to finish the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 33
Betrayed

When Takua woke up, he noticed something seemed different. He soon realized that his backpack was no longer on the floor nearby, but was a little further away and its contents were scattered across the floor near it. He sighed as he got up and walked to his backpack. There was nothing in the backpack. Everything was on the floor. He put back into the backpack his lavaboard, his flute, his lightstone, his heatstone, and the throwing disk he had received from Onepu. He was relieved to know that he hadn't lost anything.

Suddenly, Takua remembered that Matoro had put the Energy Stone in his backpack before they went to sleep, and he didn't see that along with the rest of his things. He dumped the contents of his backpack onto the icy floor. All five of the items he had were there, but no Energy Stone. He shook the backpack some more and looked inside, which was completely empty. The Energy Stone was indeed missing.

Takua knew that he had to immediately tell the others about this. “Everyone! Wake up! Wake up!” he shouted. Everyone in the icy cavern woke up, some of them complaining about being woken up so early. “The Energy Stone! It's gone!”

“Gone!? What do you mean it's gone!?” exclaimed Littlefoot.

Ruby looked around. “The Energy Stone is not all that's missing,” she said. “My brother is missing,  too!”

At first, everyone was unsure about how this could have happened. However, it didn't take long for Cera to realize what had really happened. “I don't believe it!” she exclaimed angrily.

“What are you talking about?” asked Takua.

“Isn't it obvious!? Ruby's brother stole the Energy Stone and ran off with it!”
________

Although it wasn't the same place they had entered the ice caves and tunnels, the group quickly made it outside onto the slopes of the White Mountain. The snowy floor of the icy tunnels had made it easy to see where Ruby's brother had gone. Indeed, he didn't know which way to go to get out, as he seemed to have gone in circles many times. By bypassing these circles, they knew they would be able to catch up with him more quickly. Of course, wherever the floor wasn't snowy, they had to rely on Chomper, who could accurately follow the scent.

Now that they were outside, they noticed that the storm from yesterday had indeed passed and the sky was now clear. Although the snow on the ground was fresh, the trail of footprints made it obvious that Ruby's brother had gone in this direction. It was soon obvious why the footprints were so fresh. They were actually able to see him and he was still walking down the slope.

“There he is!” exclaimed Takua, pointing at Ruby's brother, who was about halfway down the slope.

“Let's get him!” shouted Cera. She then charged down the slope towards Ruby's brother.

“Cera! Wait! Don't hurt him!” exclaimed Ruby as she began to run after her.

No one else bothered to move from the cave entrance. “We have to do something!” exclaimed Littlefoot.

After making sure no one was watching them, Matoro and Kopeke gave a silent nod to each other. Kopeke then reached into Takua's backpack and pulled out the throwing disk. Kopeke then jumped into the air, held the disk underneath himself, and slid down the slope using the disk as a sled. He slid down the slope so quickly that he easily passed Ruby and Cera in only a few seconds. He was now getting very close to Ruby's brother. Using the momentum to his advantage, he leaped into the air and tackled Ruby's brother, sending them both into the snow.

Ruby's brother quickly unburied himself and, to his horror, realized he was no longer holding the Energy Stone. He frantically searched through the snow to find it. He was relieved when he did find it a few seconds later. He turned to resume his trip down the mountain when he collided into something. He looked up to see an angry-looking Kopeke standing in his way.

Kopeke held out his hand and said in a cold voice, “The Energy Stone.”

“No!” exclaimed Ruby's brother in a panicked voice. “I can't give it to you!”

Kopeke remained standing there in the same position. His facial expression remained unchanged.

“Cera, don't hurt him! Don't hurt him, Cera!” shouted Ruby. Ruby's brother looked up the slope to see Cera and Ruby coming down and were now only a few meters away. The rest of the group was further away, but they were also coming down the slope.

Cera slid through the snow to a stop. Ruby stopped and stood next to her. “Alright, what do you think you're doing running off with the Energy Stone like that!?” exclaimed Cera, angrily.

“But you don't understand! I need it!” exclaimed Ruby's brother, who was clearly panicked.

“What could you possibly do with the Energy Stone!?”

“I'm not the one who wants it! Makuta is!”

“Makuta!? What we're trying to do is not let him have the Energy Stones!”

“But if I don't give this Energy Stone to him, he said he'll kill my whole family!”

The rest of the group had arrived just in time to hear this. Now Ruby was just as panicked as her younger brother was. “Our whole family!?” she asked.

“Yes! Our mommy, our daddy, our sister, you, even me! He'll kill us all!”

“In that case, we'll tell Jala to send some guards to find and protect them,” said Cera. “Now why don't you just hand over that Energy Stone so we can-”

“No! I can't let any of you have it!”

“Hand it over now! Don't make me have to rip it out of your hands!”

“Then try!”

Cera was about to charge at him when Ruby stepped in front of her and attempted to hold her back. Ruby's brother tried to sneak away, but Ruby told him to stay there.

As this argument was occurring, the rest of the group talked to each other about what should be done for this situation. True, they could ask Jala to send some guards to protect Ruby's family, but what if he didn't have any guards available? What if those guards couldn't find Ruby's family? For that matter, where was Ruby's family, anyway? As a result, they began arguing among themselves, as well.

Only the ever-so-quiet Kopeke was not involved in any of these arguments. It was obvious that all this arguing was getting nowhere fast. It was angering him. Finally, after a minute of hearing pointless arguing, he couldn't take it anymore. “ENOUGH!” he shouted. Everyone immediately stopped where they were and went silent. Kopeke's shout echoed across the mountain at least half a dozen times.

Soon after the echoing ceased, Takua said, “Okay, maybe we should stop arguing and let Kopeke decide what to do.”

Chomper then pointed at something further down the slope and said, “I see something we can all agree on: getting away from them!”

Everyone turned their attention to what Chomper was pointing at. Coming up the slope was Redclaw and the Fast-Biters Screech and Thud. “Them again!? Up here!?” exclaimed Takua. “I'm starting to get the feeling that they might be working for Makuta.”

“I told you he wants to kill us all!” exclaimed Ruby's brother.

“This is no time for arguing! We have to- Hey! What's Kopeke doing?”

Everyone turned to see Kopeke heading down the slope towards the quickly-approaching Fast-Biters. Nobody was sure what he was planning to do. However, Kopeke knew what he was doing. He had a plan. He pulled out two pieces of ice that he had collected in the ice caves yesterday. He had also used his skills in ice crafting to shape them for a unique purpose. He threw the ice pieces at both of the Fast-Biters. The ice pieces shattered as they each hit a Fast-Biter in the head, knocking out both of them without even giving them minor scratches.

Fast-Biters were one thing, but a big Sharptooth like Redclaw was very different. Throwing ice chunks wouldn't work, but Kopeke knew something that would. He approached Redclaw by moving down the slope. Soon, they were at the same level on the slope. As they continued to approach each other, Kopeke slipped on an icy spot, just what he was looking for. Now he began to back up. Redclaw was soon one step away from grabbing Kopeke. He took that step and slipped on the icy spot. He fell and hit the ground with enough force to knock him out. The impact also shook a good amount of the mountainside.

With the danger dealt with, Kopeke headed back up the slope and returned to the group. Again, he stood in front of Ruby's brother with a look of anger on his face. Again, he held out his hand and said in a cold voice, “The Energy Stone. Now.”

The young fast runner's response was still the same. “No! I can't let you have it!”

This is where Kopeke decided to draw the line. “You have been warned enough,” he simply said. Suddenly, he grabbed the young Fast-Runner's wrists with his left hand tightly, causing Ruby's brother to yell in pain. Kopeke then ripped the Energy Stone out of his hands and shoved him backwards into the snowy ground. About a few seconds later, Kopeke simply said, “Come with me.” He then turned around and headed down the slope.

Ruby helped her brother up and checked to make sure he wasn't hurt too badly. Physically, he was fine. Emotionally, not so good. Neither of them knew what to do now.

“We better do what he says,” said Takua, as he put the throwing disk Kopeke had used back into his backpack. “He is holding the Energy Stone, after all. Besides, I don't think I've ever seen Kopeke like this before.”

Matoro simply shrugged and said, “Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose.” Matoro then followed Kopeke down the slope. Everyone else soon followed, most of them reluctantly. Wherever they were going, only Kopeke would know.
________

About an hour later, the group was still following Kopeke, and were now traveling through what seemed to be an unknown part of the Mysterious Beyond. However, Kopeke seemed to know where he was going. The same couldn't be said for most of the others.

However, Chomper soon began to realize that the terrain was starting to look familiar to him. “Does anyone notice something familiar about this place?” he asked.

“Rocks, trees, dirt, typical stuff in the dinosaur universe,” replied Takua.

“Actually, now that you mention it, Chomper, this place does seem familiar,” said Ruby. “But I can't seem to remember what it is that's familiar about this place.”

Everyone soon found themselves following Kopeke up a small rocky mountain. They soon reached the highest point on the mountain they could go, which was a large flat area. At one end of the flat area was a large rock that was angled so far towards the area that it seemed to be hanging over them. Suddenly, Ducky remembered a place similar to this. “Is this Hanging Rock?” she asked.

As soon as she heard that name, Ruby immediately knew where they were. “It is! This is Hanging Rock!” she exclaimed.

“You mean the place where you last met your family?” asked Littlefoot. “But why did we come here?”

Takua turned to Kopeke and asked, “Is this our destination?”

Kopeke nodded.

“Then can I have the Energy Stone back, now?” asked Ruby's brother.

“No,” said Kopeke.

“I'd like to know why we're here,” said Cera. “What's so important about being right here right now?”

Kopeke then looked over the edge that was opposite from the one the group had come over. “They are coming,” he said.

“Who are you talking about? Who's coming?” asked Takua as he approached the edge and also looked down. He saw three Fast-Runners coming up the mountain: two adults and one child. Based on the skin coloration, he determined that one of the adults was male and the other adult and the child were female. The two adults seemed relatively old, while the child was around the same age as Ruby's brother. Based on the descriptions he had heard, he realized that this could be Ruby's family. When those Fast-Runners looked up and saw him and Kopeke, Takua knew Ruby's presence would be a good thing to have. He turned to her and asked, “Hey Ruby, is that your family down there?”

Ruby approached the edge and looked down. She was very pleasantly surprised by what she saw. “It is! It is my family! They are here! Here they are!” she exclaimed.

The Fast-Runners quickly came up the mountain. They soon reached the flat area, where they met the group of Matoran and young dinosaurs, even though they didn't know that the strange-looking creatures were Matoran.

Ruby's brother rushed to his parents and exclaimed, “Mommy! Daddy! I'm so glad you're okay!”

His mother picked him up in her hands. “Of course we are alright,” she said, calmly. “As far as we know, we are not in any danger. Are you okay?”

“I'm not hurt or sick, but I'm not okay. Our whole family is now in big trouble!”

“What do you mean?”

“Allow me to explain everything,” said Matoro.

Ruby's father looked at him. “Do you happen to be a Matoran?” he asked. “I have recently heard of the sudden appearance of such creatures in the Great Valley, and someone like yourself seems to fit the description.”

“I guess word spreads fast among the Fast-Runners,” said Takua to his friends, chuckling.

“Indeed, I am a Matoran. I'm a Ko-Matoran, and my name is Matoro. Before I can tell you of the situation you and your family are in now, are you aware of who Makuta is?”

“Indeed we are. In fact, we have just heard of him earlier today. We are still quite shocked to hear that such a being is actually somewhere in the Great Valley right now.”

“Yes, but it's not Makuta himself that we're facing in the Great Valley. It's the everyday threat of attacks from Rahi that are controlled by Makuta through infected masks. To stop the attacks, we need to deal with Makuta, and the only known way to get him out of the Great Valley is by finding the Stones of Elemental Energy. Kopeke, over there, is currently holding one of them, the Energy Stone of Ice. For some reason, Makuta wants those Energy Stones. It seems he is so desperate to have those stones that he threatened your son to give the Energy Stone to him, or he would kill him and the rest of his family.”

“So you're saying that if Makuta doesn't get that stone... he is going to kill us?”

“Apparently so. Of course, the deadly threat would likely be shown with Rahi attacks. I may not know how you manage to survive Sharptooth attacks, but I do know that Rahi under the control of Makuta are far more dangerous. If you wish to have the best chance of surviving against Makuta, then I suggest that you come with us to the Great Valley, where Matoran guards would be able to protect you from the dangers they see every day.”

Ruby's parents quietly talked to each other to think about it. True, they had always thought about visiting the Great Valley themselves one day, but they had felt unsure of it, considering that their kind might not be very welcome. Although it was likely that most of the Rahi attacks would occur in the Great Valley, it was also likely that the Matoran, the only ones who would at least try to protect them, would not be willing to leave the valley. Considering the risks, their decision was clear.

“We have talked about it, and it is clear what we must do,” said Ruby's father. “For our own safety, we will all have to go to the Great Valley, but only for as long as the threat from Makuta exists.”

“Well, at least we won't have to worry about that problem anymore,” said Takua. “Now let's head back to the Great Valley.” Everyone agreed with him, and they began to climb down the mountain from Hanging Rock.

Soon after they had reach the bottom of the slope, Kopeke gave the Energy Stone to Matoro, knowing that he would give it to Nuju to keep it safe. Both Takua and Littlefoot noticed this. Takua didn't mind it, but a thought suddenly occurred to Littlefoot.

“Something doesn't make sense to me,” said Littlefoot, quietly enough so that only Takua would hear him.

“What do you mean?” asked Takua.

“It's mostly about Kopeke. He took the Energy Stone back from Ruby's brother and made us follow him to Hanging Rock, where we found Ruby's family so that they could come with us to the Great Valley, where they will be safe. As far as I know, the only ones who had been to Hanging Rock besides Ruby and her family are Chomper, Ducky, and Spike. You didn't even know that it existed until we told you about it in one of our adventures, and I don't think that any other Matoran would have heard of it at all. So how can Kopeke know about Hanging Rock, know exactly how to get there from the White Mountain, and even know that Ruby's family would be there at the same time we would arrive?”

“You're right, that doesn't make sense at all. Only one way to find out why.” Takua then turned his attention to Kopeke. “Hey Kopeke, how did you know the way to Hanging Rock when none of us even told you about it?”

Kopeke was silent for a few seconds before he replied, “Ask Matoro.”

“Matoro?” asked Takua, surprised. Most of the traveling group turned their attention to Matoro.

At first, Matoro didn't say anything. After thinking about it for a few seconds, he replied, “Well... I suppose I don't see a reason to keep it secret anymore. Alright, for those of you who have just met me, I am the translator for Turaga Nuju, the elder of Ko-Koro, where I live. Although he understands what everyone says, he refuses to speak the same language, so he needs a translator with him for most of the time. He spends most of his time in the Sanctum studying the prophecies written on the walls of it in order to understand the future, and since he works there, I have to work there as well. A few days ago, we deciphered a series of prophecies that told us of the major events that would occur yesterday and today. That's why I didn't let Ruby's brother hold the Energy Stone last night, because I knew he was going to run off with it. However, Turaga Nuju and I agreed that Kopeke would be a better choice than me to ensure that most of the events occur correctly. I told him everything he needed to know, even how to get to Hanging Rock, on the day before yesterday. He promised to do his part and to keep the knowledge a secret.”

“So you're saying that you knew everything that was going to happen before any of it happened?” asked Ruby.

“Basically, yes.”

“I'm still confused about one thing,” said Littlefoot. “If you knew Ruby's brother was going to steal the Energy Stone, why didn't you do anything that could have kept him from doing it while we were sleeping?”

“There was nothing we could have done to prevent that. No matter where we could have put the Energy Stone, he was watching us and would know where we put it, therefore he still would try to take it and run off with it. I was convinced that, since he was unfamiliar with those ice caves, he would easily get lost and not find a way out. That belief turned out to be almost true. Although he was definitely lost for some time, he still managed to find a way out. I had originally planned for us to intercept him in the ice caves, but fortunately for us, Kopeke had a back-up plan which allowed us to stop him on the slope.”

“Me find it confusing,” commented Petrie.

“That's why I don't like Ko-Matoran,” said Cera. “I just think predicting the future is a big waste of time.”

About a few minutes later, Ruby's father noticed something odd about Ruby. From what he saw, her attention was mostly on Matoro instead of on her surroundings. Something wasn't right and he wondered if she was aware of it. “Ruby, are you feeling alright?” he asked.

“I'm... I'm not sure,” replied Ruby. “For some reason, I can't stop thinking about Matoro, and I can't seem to be able to think of anything that isn't Matoro.”

Ruby's father thought about this. He knew what such feelings usually meant, but Ruby seemed too young to have such feelings. Besides, Matoro was a Matoran, and although he hadn't heard much about Matoran, he was aware of the fact that Matoran were created differently than dinosaurs. Therefore, the odds of such feelings among Matoran would be very unlikely. Still, being her father, he knew he needed to give her a believable explanation for her strange thoughts. “Well, you're probably just thankful for all the great things he has done for us recently. I'll admit that if it wasn't for him, the situation for us right now probably wouldn't be very good. I am sure that by tomorrow, when he returns to his work and you are elsewhere, those feelings will pass and won't bother you again.”

“Thank you, dad. That is good to know. Good to know that is.”
________

The group arrived at the Great Valley by late afternoon. While Matoro and Kopeke returned to Ko-Koro, the gang decided to introduce Ruby's family to everyone in the valley and describe the reason for them being here. Fortunately, it didn't take long to gather everyone and to tell them their story. Once that was done, the Great Valley dinosaurs eventually agreed to let Ruby's family stay in the valley as long as the threat of Makuta existed. Ruby's family were rather surprised by the hospitality shown to them by the leaf-eaters. They had believed that, since they didn't eat leaves, they would not be welcomed at all. Because of this, they decided that, from now on, they would be more skeptical of rumors from meat-eaters than rumors from leaf-eaters.

Littlefoot's grandparents questioned why Ruby's family were not willing to stay in the valley once the threat of Makuta had passed. They said that it just wasn't their home. Besides, they wanted to take the lesson of unity that had been in the valley for so long and spread it to other herds in the Mysterious Beyond. When they found out that unity happened to be one of the three virtues valued by the Matoran, they knew their temporary stay in the valley would be worth it.

Once the meeting was over, it was time for everyone to get some rest for the night. Ruby's family decided to sleep in the same cave Ruby and Chomper slept in, since they knew they wouldn't be staying for a long time.

It had been quite a challenge, but at least the Energy Stone of Ice had been found and was now in safe hands.
-------

Read and review, as always. Hopefully, the next chapter will be shorter, and thus should be finished in less time.

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow. Is Ruby in love with Matoro? Great chapter as always.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Finally, I've finished the next chapter. At least it's not as long as the last few chapters.

-------
Chapter 34
Into the Jungle

Ruby was very pleased that her family would be staying in the Great Valley, even if only for a short time. She wanted to show them everything there was to see in the valley, but with only half the Energy Stones found, she knew she wouldn't have enough time for that. She was also very pleased that a few Ta-Matoran guards were now assigned to protect her family, knowing the potential danger they were now in.

While Ruby went to help find another Energy Stone with her friends, her family decided to visit Saurus Rock that day, after hearing about what the Po-Matoran were doing there. They thought it would be interesting to see them working at what they did best. This suited their guards fine, as the original patrol assigned there had been reassigned to take out Nui-Jaga nests to the north.

Again, the gang was ready to reveal the clue to the next Energy Stone. “Well, who wants to go next?” asked Takua.

“Me no like places where us seek-found first few Energy Stones,” replied Petrie. “Me want to seek-find Energy Stone above ground, not below it.” He then flew up to the tablet and landed on it. By touching the tablet, he caused another single row of letters to appear on it. He was startled by the sudden appearance, causing him to lose his balance and fall off of the tablet, landing flat on his back.

Takua chuckled and said, “You talk like a Le-Matoran, you act like a Le-Matoran, and you even fly like a Le-Matoran.”

Petrie wasn't sure if it was a complement or a joke, so he simply replied, “Yeah, me guess that true.”

Takua looked at the tablet. The symbol next to the newly revealed words was three wavy lines that were aligned vertically. “Looks like it's your lucky day, Petrie. The next Energy Stone we're going to find is the Energy Stone of Air. The clue says, 'atop a tall tree, found by an exile'.”

“Looks like you got your wish, Petrie,” said Chomper. “We're going to find an Energy Stone up in the trees.”

“But which tree?” asked Cera.

“We do know it can't be one in the Great Valley, but that still means there could be thousands of trees to look through,” said Littlefoot.

“The clue said, 'found by an exile', so that could only mean that someone else might have already found it,” said Takua.

“Someone else?” asked Ducky.

“I do hope that someone else who found that Energy Stone is not Makuta,” said Ruby.

“Don't worry, it can't possibly be Makuta,” assured Takua. “He's not exiled from anywhere. Although he would definitely become exiled from the universe if Mata Nui ever awoke from his endless sleep.”

“So who is this exile?” asked Cera.

“I don't know,” replied Littlefoot. “But somehow I've got the feeling that the exile found the Energy Stone, but didn't take it.”

“Maybe he did not see anything useful about it.” suggested Ducky.

“Regardless, we still need to find that Energy Stone,” said Takua. “We do know that we'll find it in the treetops, but it's obvious that most of us aren't good at climbing trees. Perhaps Kongu would be willing to lend us a few Gukko birds for us to ride. That way, we can search from the sky and make it easier for us to find the Energy Stone.”

“Are you sure that's such a good idea?” asked Cera, who was already feeling quite uncomfortable about flying.

Takua shrugged. “It wouldn't hurt to ask.” Takua then headed for Le-Koro. Somewhat reluctantly, the others followed him.
________

Considering how useful the Gukko birds were in fighting off Rahi, the gang wasn't that surprised when they arrived to see fewer Gukko birds than the day they first came here. They were pleased to see Kongu here, as they had hoped. He was busy talking with a Gukko Force pilot. When Kongu noticed the gang approaching, he dismissed the Le-Matoran and turned towards them.

“Kongu, we were wondering if you're willing to lend us a few Gukko birds so that we can find the Energy Stone of Air more easily,” said Takua.

“I can't offer such help, fire-spitter and young ones,” said Kongu. “Not enough Gukkos available for such a task. Besides, I'd never let you fly them without me keeping a watch-eye on all of you. Piloting Gukkos is not easy.”

Cera sighed in frustration and complained, “We'll never be able to find that Energy Stone.”

“Perhaps I could be of help-assistance,” suggested Kongu.

The gang then heard a crash behind them. They turned around to see Tamaru on the floor nearby. He had been swinging through the trees when he lost his grip on the vine, causing him to fall and hit the wooden floor. Tamaru quickly got up and asked, “What kind of talk-discussion is going on here?”

“We're trying to find help in finding the Energy Stone of Air,” replied Ruby.

“Energy Stone? Count me in! Where do we begin?”

“As I was speak-saying,” replied Kongu, “I can be of help-assistance. Some way-finders claim to have found the Energy Stone you seek-find. Exact tree is unknown, but approximate area is. We shall ground-walk to a small jungle to the south, then seek-find the Energy Stone up-tree.”

“Ground-walk? Why not wind-ride?”

“Not enough Gukkos,” replied Petrie.

“Besides, Kongu wouldn't even allow us to fly them,” added Cera.

“We have little time to waste,” said Kongu. “Follow me and hope that the way-finders were true-speaking.” The group followed Kongu as they left Le-Koro and headed south.
________

After walking for over an hour, the group was in the Mysterious Beyond and walking through a jungle similar to the one that surrounded Le-Koro. “How are we going to find the Energy Stone?” asked Chomper.

“No thought-plan, yet,” replied Kongu. “However, we are now in the right area. The trick now is to seek-find the Energy Stone.”

“But the Energy Stone is supposed to be atop a tall tree,” said Takua. “How are we going to find it? Most of us can't fly or climb trees, you know.”

“Then hard-luck for you, fire-spitter,” said Tamaru.

Littlefoot looked at Takua and asked, “Fire-spitter?”

“It's a tree-speak word for a Ta-Matoran,” replied Takua. “Usually, it's used by other kinds of Matoran as an insult to Ta-Matoran.” Takua then turned to Tamaru. “If I'm the fire-spitter, then why aren't the tree-swingers up in the trees?” he joked.

“Yup, tree-swinger Le-Matoran! That's us!” said Tamaru.

“Yeah, until the vine snaps,” commented Cera. “Then you end up face-down on the ground, just like you did earlier today.” Everyone couldn't help but laugh at this comment.

Soon after the laughter died down, Kongu suddenly stopped. He then started looking around, as if he was expecting something bad to suddenly appear. The rest of the group soon noticed that Kongu wasn't walking with them, so they turned around to see him quickly looking around.

“What is it, Kongu?” asked Ducky.

Everyone soon heard a faint buzzing noise. Kongu looked back in the direction the group had come from and looked to the sky. He saw a dozen Nui-Rama, large flying insect-like Rahi. For Nui-Rama, this was a small swarm. However, it soon became obvious that the Nui-Rama in this swarm were wearing infected masks.

“Rama swarm!” shouted Kongu, as he quickly took out his throwing disk. Tamaru did likewise. Takua was uncertain at first, but he quickly decided to take out the throwing disk he had.

The swarm was now closing in on them. With great speed and accuracy, Kongu and Tamaru threw their disks and each hit a Nui-Rama, knocking off the infected masks. They quickly retrieved their disks and continued to hit the Nui-Rama in this way.

Takua didn't throw his disk. The Nui-Rama were moving so quickly, he didn't think he would ever get a good shot. He then saw one of them coming directly towards him. Using all of his strength, he threw the disk. The Nui-Rama easily dodged it. The disk flew up to a tree branch, but rather than passing between the leaves, the disk hit someone, who grunted in pain before falling off the branch and falling to the ground. The stranger hit the soft ground and the disk landed nearby.

Kongu noticed this and quickly knocked off the infected masks from the Nui-Rama that Takua had tried to hit. The Nui-Rama flew away, along with the rest of the swarm, which was now without the infected masks.

With the danger passed, Takua rushed to the stranger he had accidentally hit. The stranger was an adult Flyer who had a skin color similar to that of Petrie. “Sorry about that,” said Takua, as he put away his throwing disk. “I was trying to hit that Nui-Rama and I didn't see you in that tree.”

“That's okay. Accidents happen,” replied the Flyer, as he began to stand up. Fortunately, he wasn't seriously injured.

“Wait a minute, I recognize that voice,” said Littlefoot.

When the Flyer turned to face the group, some of the gang immediately recognized who he was. It was Pterano, Petrie's uncle.

“Pterano! It you!” exclaimed Petrie, as he flew towards his uncle and hugged him. “Me so glad to see you!”

“Yes, I'm just as happy to see you as well, Petrie,” replied Pterano, hugging back his nephew. He soon noticed Takua and the Le-Matoran. He had never seen such creatures before, but seeing them so close to the kids made him think that they wouldn't be any harm. “Who are you?” he asked, looking at Takua.

“I'm Takua and I'm a Matoran, a Ta-Matoran, to be exact,” replied Takua.

“A Matoran? Ah yes, I remember hearing about the sudden appearance of such creatures in the Great Valley recently. It's good to know that your kind were welcomed there.” Pterano then looked at the two Le-Matoran. “I assume they are also Matoran.”

“Yes, they are Le-Matoran. Kongu and Tamaru.”

“Pleased to meet you, wind-flyer Pterano,” said Tamaru, cheerfully.

“Wind-flyer?” asked Pterano.

“Tree-speak,” replied Takua. “It's the way Le-Matoran speak. By the way, Petrie seems to like tree-speak so much that he decided to always speak it.”

“Are you sure he knows how to properly speak it?”

“Me know how to talk tree-speak,” replied Petrie. “Me great at quick-learning tree-speak.”

“I suppose that's true,” said Pterano. “Anyway, what brings all of you this far out into the Mysterious Beyond?”

“It's kind of a long story, so I'll try to explain it as quickly as I can,” replied Takua. “About a week after the Matoran arrived at the Great Valley, another being arrived from our universe: Makuta, the master of shadows himself. Using infected masks, he was able to control Rahi creatures to constantly attack us. When such attacks began in the Great Valley, we knew Makuta had followed us. We knew that Makuta had to come here for a reason, and we later found the answer. The Energy Stones are the only known way to send Makuta back to the universe he came from, and he's been trying to stop us ever since we started searching for them.”

“In that case, I assume you're here to find one of these Energy Stones.”

“Yes, we are currently trying to seek-find the Energy Stone of Air,” said Kongu. “The clue said that we shall seek-find it atop a tall tree.”

“Atop a tall tree? You know, come to think of it, I recall recently seeing a rather strange-looking stone within the top of a tall tree. Perhaps that might be the Energy Stone you are looking for.”

Most of the group was uncertain about it. After all, they knew what happened the last time Pterano came across a mysterious stone. How could they be sure that it wouldn't happen again? “Maybe you should let us talk about this first before we decide what to do,” said Littlefoot.

Pterano had actually expected a response like this, so he agreed with them. The group then turned away from him so that they could talk without him hearing them.

“Why should we trust him?” asked Cera. “I'm sure we all remember what happened last time.”

“I'm sure that even he remembers that as well,” replied Littlefoot. “Besides, as far as I can tell, he doesn't have a real reason to have that Energy Stone, if he did find it.”

“Remember Ruby's brother? He ran off with the Energy Stone of Ice and tried to give it to Makuta! What if Pterano is trying to do the same thing?”

“If that were true, Makuta would already have the Energy Stone, since Pterano says he has seen it.”

“Wait, I just realized something,” said Takua. “The second part of the clue said that the Energy Stone was found by an exile. Pterano is an exile, even if only temporarily. I think he actually has found the Energy Stone, and the only way we can find it is to have him take us to it.”

“An excellent thought-plan, fire-spitter,” commented Kongu.

“Me agree,” said Petrie. “Pterano deserves second chance.”

The group then turned to face Pterano. Takua decided to explain the plan to Pterano. “We have decided that we need to find that Energy Stone, and the quickest way to find it is if you take us to it. That is, if you really have found it.”

“I have indeed found an unusual stone,” said Pterano, “but having not seen anything that could tell me that it's an Energy Stone, I have no way of knowing if it is the Energy Stone you are searching for. I know what you are thinking, and no, I don't wish to keep it for myself as I have no reason to do so. Besides, even if I wanted it I still wouldn't have it, as it is stuck inside that tree in such a way that I can't even reach it.”

“Good enough for me,” said Takua. “Lead the way, Pterano.”

Pterano then flew into the air and said, “Follow me and I shall take you directly to the tall tree with the stone in it.” He then began flying in the direction he knew to go, making sure to go slow enough so that the rest of the group could easily keep up.

As the group followed Pterano, Cera asked Takua, “Are you sure about this?”

“Not exactly, but it could be our only hope of finding the Energy Stone,” replied Takua.

The group continued to follow Pterano, hoping that he would lead them to the Energy Stone of Air.
-------

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey! Awesome chapter! It's cool you added Pterano. By the way, I took your advice and have started to edit my fics with more backstories.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That's great that people are accepting my advice. Here's the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 35
Crossing the Ravine

The group continued to follow Pterano through the jungle as he led them to the Energy Stone. At least, that's what everyone was hoping he was doing.

“How much further do we have to go?” asked Cera.

“We should be getting close soon,” replied Pterano.

“Remember, we can't fly, so don't assume we can cross a mountain or a cliff without any problems,” said Takua.

“In that case, we have a problem and it's just ahead of us.”

A few seconds later, the group reached the edge of a steep rocky cliff. There was another cliff ahead of them, which meant that they were on one side of a huge ravine. The distance between the two sides was over twenty meters, and the bottom seemed like it was well over a hundred meters down. Chomper grabbed a small rock and tossed it off the edge of the cliff. The silence proved what a long fall it would be if they couldn't safely cross.

“Is there a way around this?” asked Littlefoot.

“There is, but it would take more than a day to reach the other side,” replied Pterano.

“We don't have that much time,” said Takua. “Looks like the only way to the other side is to cross this ravine right here.”

“How are we going to do that?” asked Littlefoot.

“Too bad there isn't a rope bridge here,” thought Takua aloud. “We would be able to just walk across without any problems.”

“I may not know what a rope bridge is, but I'm guessing there's a lot of them on Mata Nui, where you come from,” said Ruby. “This is the dinosaur universe, so there won't be any rope bridges here.”

“Then how are we going to get across?” asked Chomper.

“Happy-plan, I have!” replied Tamaru, cheerfully. Everyone looked up and saw him sitting on a tree branch with a few vines in his hands. “By knot-tieing many vines together, I create extra-long vine. We shall knot-tie one end to this tree and knot-tie the other end to a tree on the other side, then we quick-cross and become one step closer to seek-finding the Energy Stone.”

“That's a great plan,” said Littlefoot. “But there's a problem. How are we going to tie the other end of the vine to the other side?”

“Simple, wind-flyer Pterano shall carry the vine across and knot-tie the other end to the other side.”

“That does sound like a good idea, but I'm afraid I don't know how to 'knot-tie',” said Pterano.

“No worry-problem. Let me quick-teach you how to knot-tie.”

After tieing together all the vines he held, Tamaru showed Pterano how to tie a vine to a tree branch by tieing one end of the extra-long vine to the branch he sat on. Once he understood how to tie a vine to a tree branch, Pterano grabbed the untied end of the extra-long vine and flew to the other side of the ravine. When he reached the other side, he landed on a large tree branch, pulled the vine tightly and tied his end to the branch he was on. Pterano decided to make sure the vine wouldn't snap or become untied, so he flew to the middle of the vine and landed on it. He then repeatedly shifted his weight to move the vine up and down as much as he could. If the vine could resist this much tension, it would be able to handle the weight of anyone who climbed across on it. He then flew back to the group to confirm that the vine was now safe enough to cross on.

Everyone wanted to ask the same question, but only Kongu was brave enough to say it. “Who wants to go first?”

Nearly everyone in the group quickly refused. “No need to worry, young ones,” assured Pterano. “I assure you that all of you can safely cross on this vine, as long as you go one at a time and don't let go.”

“But who will be going first?” asked Ducky.

“Somebody does have to go first because if nobody goes first then nobody will go at all,” said Ruby.

“Well if anybody is going first, it definitely won't be me,” said Cera.

Right after Cera said this, Takua and Kongu surrounded her. Takua grabbed her front legs and Kongu grabbed her rear legs. “Ready, Kongu?” asked Takua. Kongu nodded.

“What are you- Hey!” exclaimed Cera, as she was suddenly lifted up to the vine. She knew they would not let her down, so she had no choice but to grab the vine.

“Just quick-cross to the other side and the rest of us shall quick-follow,” said Kongu.

Having no other options, Cera knew that she would have to cross the ravine first. She decided that she might as well do it without fear, so she began crawling along the top of the vine.

As Cera was crossing, Takua noticed how scared Ducky and Chomper looked as they looked down into the deep ravine. A thought then occurred to him. “Pterano, do you think you could carry these two across instead of having them climb across on the vine?” he asked.

Pterano looked at the two Takua was referring to. He easily recognized Ducky, but he never even noticed the other one until just now. It was now that he realized that Chomper was a Sharptooth. He cautiously looked at Chomper and asked, “How will I know that you won't try to bite me while I'm carrying you across?”

“Please, if I tried to do that, we would both fall and die,” replied Chomper. “Besides, these are my friends here, and you don't see me biting them.”

Pterano had to admit that was true. After all, Ducky was standing right next to Chomper, and she wasn't running. Convinced, Pterano flew to the two of them. They each grabbed onto one of his legs, then were carried across as Pterano flew to the other side. Being an adult, the extra weight was hardly noticeable to him. Petrie followed closely behind his uncle. They reached the other side at the same time Cera did.

Once Cera reached the other side, everyone else followed one at a time. Next was Spike, then Littlefoot, then Ruby, then Kongu. Takua was about to start crossing when he heard the all-too-familiar sound of roaring Fast-Biters.

“Fast-Biters!” shouted Takua. He then quickly grabbed the vine and began to quickly climb across. He looked back and noticed Tamaru was not yet on the vine. “Hurry, Tamaru!”

“Be right there, fire-spitter!” responded Tamaru as he climbed the tree the vine was tied to. He then began to untie the vine. He was worried that if he didn't get rid of this vine, the coming Fast-Biters might also climb across. He planned to untie the vine, then swing on it to the other side, leaving the Fast-Biters stranded on this side of the ravine.

Tamaru was still struggling to untie the vine when Takua reached the other side. Takua looked back just in time to see the Fast-Biters, Screech and Thud, emerge from within the jungle. “Do those guys ever give up?” grumbled Takua.

Tamaru saw the Fast-Biters. He didn't panic because he had just finished untying the vine. He held the vine and stood up on the tree branch. He waved to the Fast-Biters and exclaimed, “Bye bye, stink-breath Fast-Biters!” He then leaped off the tree branch and swung towards the other side. However, he soon realized that, since the other end of the vine was tied to a branch on the other side instead of in the middle, he wouldn't land on the other side. Holding onto the vine as tightly as he could, he slammed into the rocky cliff.

Everyone heard the impact. They looked down to see Tamaru, who was clearly dazed from the impact, still holing onto the vine. When Tamaru looked up and saw the group looking at him, he weakly said, “Ouch, that was hurt-painful.”

Takua sighed and said, “Hang on, Tamaru, we'll pull you up.” Everyone then began pulling the vine upwards, which caused Tamaru to be pulled up the side of the cliff. When he finally reached the top, he laid down on the ground, still aching from the impact.

“Are you alright, Tamaru?” asked Ducky.

“Yeah... wasn't much of a thought-plan, though,” replied Tamaru.

“I'll say,” commented Cera.

Everyone quickly turned their attention to the side they came from when the two Fast-Biters roared in frustration and ran back into the jungle.

“Come, we must quick-leave before the Fast-Biters find a ground-path to this side,” said Kongu.

“Kongu is right, we better keep going,” said Takua. “Which way now, Pterano?”

“We are now very close,” replied Pterano. “Just follow me.” He then flew into the air and headed away from the ravine. Again, the group followed him.

A few minutes later, Pterano began to fly in circles. “I know I found it here somewhere, but I can't remember exactly which tree it was in,” he called to the group, far below. He searched through every tree that he would consider tall. He then landed on one of the high branches of one of the tallest trees in the area and when he looked up, he saw exactly what he remembered finding. Just above his head, there was a hole in the trunk of the tree. He flew up a little to see what was inside the hole. The back of the hole appeared to be at the center of the tree, and all the way back there was a strange glowing stone. “I found it! It's in here!”

“Me get it!” exclaimed Petrie as he flew up to where Pterano was. As soon as he reached the same tree branch, he saw inside that tree a stone shaped like the other Energy Stones and was glowing a light green color. “Pterano right! He find Energy Stone of Air!”

“Well what are you waiting for? Get it!” exclaimed Cera.

Pterano had been right in saying that he couldn't reach it. The hole was out of reach from the branch he had stood on, and he wouldn't dare try to reach into the tree while flying. Fortunately, Petrie was so small that he could actually walk into that hole to get the Energy Stone. He flew into the hole in the tree and grabbed the Energy Stone. He struggled for a few seconds to get it out. Eventually, the Energy Stone came loose, causing him to fall over backwards. Due to his small size, Petrie had to use both of his hands to carry the Energy Stone. He walked to the edge of the tree and looked down. “Uh, me not so sure if me can quick-fly down with this!” he called to his friends below.

It was immediately clear to everyone that this was because of Petrie's small size. “Wait there, Petrie. I'm coming up-tree.” called Kongu. He then began to climb up the tree. He climbed so quickly, most of the group couldn't believe it.

In almost no time at all, Kongu reached the hole in the tree where Petrie was waiting. Having climbed trees before, he didn't need to stand on a branch to stay on a tree, so he was able to grab the Energy Stone from Petrie. As soon as he grabbed the Energy Stone, he could only use one hand, along with his feet, to hold onto the tree. He suddenly lost his grip on the tree, causing him to lose his balance and fall off.

Fortunately, Kongu knew how to handle a situation like this. He continuously grabbed and swung on the branches of the tree, which slowed his fall to a safe, but still fast speed. He safely hit the ground on both feet without any injury. He held up the Energy Stone and said, “See? No worry-problem.”

As Petrie and Pterano flew back down, Takua said, “Alright, now that we have the Energy Stone, we should head back to the Great Valley.”

“Follow me,” said Kongu. “Thanks to maps provided by way-finders a few days ago, I know a quicker ground-path back to the valley from here. Most of the ground-path is bald-land, but that shouldn't be much of a worry-problem.”

“Wait a minute, if you're so sure about an easier way to get from here to the Great Valley, why didn't you have us go that way to get here in the first place?” asked Cera.

“We were all late-knowing of the Energy Stone's true location,” replied Kongu.

“In other words, none of us had any idea at the time that the Energy Stone would be in this particular location,” said Takua, making sure that everyone understood what Kongu had said.

“I hope you don't mind me staying with you until we reach the valley,” said Pterano. “I'd just like to get better acquainted with all of you while I have the chance.”

The group agreed to let Pterano continue with them, since he had proven his trust by originally finding the Energy Stone. Everyone followed Kongu as he led them on the quickest route back to the Great Valley.
-------

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sweet. So what's gonna happen to Pterano once they reach the Great Valley? Keep it up, as always!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Time for the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 36
Leaf-Running

As the group was heading back to the Great Valley, Takua and the gang decided to tell Pterano about their search for the Energy Stones so far. Pterano was quite amazed about what they had to say. Not even he would have imagined that such stories could ever be true.

The group was now approaching the edge of the jungle. Some of the gang were pleased that they would now walk across open ground instead of through the jungle for the rest of the trip. However, as soon as they entered the open ground, they were shocked to see Redclaw standing nearby. He quickly noticed them and began to chase after them.

The group ran back into the jungle, hoping that it would be more difficult for Redclaw to chase them. However, he was such a big Sharptooth that he simply shoved aside every tree that was in his way.

The group managed to temporarily lose him by hiding behind a large tree. “I must agree with your beliefs, Takua,” said Pterano, quietly. “If he is chasing you around this much, he must be working for Makuta.”

“But how are we going to get rid of him this time?” asked Cera.

Takua then noticed Tamaru climbing the tree they were hiding behind. “What are you doing?” asked Takua.

“He can't catch us if we're up-tree,” Tamaru simply replied.

This gave Kongu an idea. “Good thinking, Tamaru,” he said. “Takua, take the others to safety. Tamaru and I shall distract Redclaw until he is lost-wandering. Then we shall rejoin you in the bald-land. Here, hold the Energy Stone while I'm up-tree.” Kongu then tossed the Energy Stone to Takua and began to climb the tree.

“Remind me again, what does he mean by 'bald-land'?” asked Pterano.

“He means open ground, land outside the jungle,” replied Littlefoot.

Pterano then turned to Takua. “I trust that you can get the young ones to safety. I shall be following the Le-Matoran, just in case if they might need my help.” He then flew upwards until he was above the trees. At least he was still capable of seeing the upper branches of the trees, where the Le-Matoran would likely be.

Once the two Le-Matoran were up in the higher branches, Tamaru started by grabbing a piece of fruit and throwing it at Redclaw, hitting him in the face. “Come get us, stink-breath Sharptooth!” shouted Tamaru. He then grabbed a vine and swung to another tree nearby.

Kongu then leaped across the branches to join Tamaru on the same tree. “Come get us, ugly!” taunted Kongu to Redclaw.

Redclaw responded by shoving down the tree they stood on. The Le-Matoran were quick to react and leaped to the next tree. He continued to try to push them out of the trees, but they were always faster than him.

As Pterano followed the Le-Matoran, Takua had put the Energy Stone in his backpack and led the gang out of the jungle. They decided to run along the edge of the jungle so that the Le-Matoran and Pterano could find them more quickly once they lost Redclaw.

Redclaw continued to topple over the trees that the Le-Matoran leaped onto. Kongu and Tamaru landed on the next tree. “Slow-think Sharptooth! You can't catch Le-Matoran!” taunted Kongu.

“Old-bone! Bog-foot! Yaaahhh!” taunted Tamaru.

Although he didn't understand what they said, Redclaw was clearly enraged by this. He rammed his head against the tree, causing it to quickly topple over. However, it wasn't quick enough to keep the Le-Matoran out of the tree tops.

Pterano continued to follow the Le-Matoran as quickly as he could. He was surprised by how easily they were able to outrun Redclaw by just swinging through the trees. Perhaps even more surprising for him was that they were swinging through the trees so fast, he was actually having trouble keeping up with them, and he was flying. It was hard to believe, but he was seeing it right now.

Meanwhile, Takua and the gang continued to run along the edge of the jungle. They could hear the trees falling over, but most of them had no idea if the Le-Matoran would be alright.

“Do you think they'll be alright?” asked Chomper.

“I'm very sure of it,” replied Takua. “Unless the noise of the trees falling over suddenly stops, we won't have anything to worry about.” Suddenly, the two Fast-Biters, Screech and Thud, jumped out of the jungle and stood right in front of the group, who quickly stopped. “Except for that. Back into the jungle!” The group then ran back into the jungle as the Fast-Biters quickly followed them.

They ran deeper into the jungle, hoping that the dense vegetation would slow down the Fast-Biters. Littlefoot then tripped on a rock and fell over. The Fast-Biters were so close behind that he knew he wouldn't have enough time to get up and continue running.

Takua quickly noticed this and knew that he had to do something. He picked up a large rock, raised it over his head and threw it at the Fast-Biters. It hit Thud in the chest, taking him down for the moment. This caused Screech to hesitate for only a second, but it was enough to allow Littlefoot to escape.

Takua turned around and saw a low branch. He decided to use this to take out Screech, who now resumed his chase. Takua ran to the other side of the branch, pulled it back as far as he could, then let it go. The branch smacked into Screech, flipping him onto his back and taking him down for the moment.

Takua then called to the gang to follow him back out of the jungle. Having no other choice, they followed him. They soon reached the open ground and continued to run along the edge of the jungle, this time staying a little further away.

Meanwhile, the Le-Matoran continued leaping and swinging through the trees. Pterano soon began to notice that the noise of the falling trees were becoming fainter. He looked back and noticed that Redclaw was now so far behind them that he wasn't following them in the exact direction they were going. Pterano called for the Le-Matoran to stop.

The Le-Matoran stopped at one of the trees. They listened to the faint noise and quickly determined what was now happening. “Redclaw is now lost-wandering,” said Tamaru, cheerfully.

Kongu nodded in agreement. “Now let's quick-find the others and help them get back to the Great Valley,” he said. They then changed direction and headed for the open ground nearby.

Takua and the gang soon decided to stop and rest for a minute. They felt sure that the Fast-Biters, once they got up, wouldn't be able to find them by now. However, they soon heard a rustling noise in the bushes at the edge of the jungle. To their surprise, the two Fast-Biters jumped out of the jungle and prepared to attack them.

Suddenly, two throwing disks flew out of the jungle. Each hit a Fast-Biter on the back of the head, knocking them both out. The two Le-Matoran then leaped out of the jungle, soon followed by Pterano. The Le-Matoran grabbed their disks and rejoined the group.

“Redclaw is now lost-wandering in the jungle,” said Kongu. “We must quick-leave before he finds a way out, or these Fast-Biters awaken.” Everyone agreed with him and followed him as he led them back to the Great Valley.
________

The group now stood at the edge of the Great Valley. Pterano could not continue with the group, since his time of banishment had not yet come to an end. This would be where he would say goodbye to them.

“Well, this is where we must go our separate ways,” said Pterano. “It was nice traveling with you today and it was also nice to actually meet Matoran.”

“It was nice meeting you as well, Pterano,” said Takua. “We're hoping that the Energy Stones will somehow allow us to return to Mata Nui, so I guess this will be the only time you will ever meet any Matoran.”

“If that is true, then at least I'm very grateful that I got the chance to personally see you. Not even I would have been able to believe stories of such creatures like Matoran, if I had not actually met one of them.”

“At least my friends will still be in the Great Valley by the time you'll be allowed back.”

After many goodbyes, and an especially long one from Petrie, the group was ready to head back into the valley. “Goodbye, wind-flyer Pterano,” said Tamaru as he turned around and began heading into the valley, only to trip on a rock and fall over.

“How ridiculous,” commented Pterano. “You can swing through the trees faster than I can fly, and yet, you can't even avoid tripping over a small rock.” Everyone couldn't help but laugh at this comment.

The group soon began heading back into the valley, while Pterano flew into the sky and away from the valley to continue his temporary life in exile. Tree-speak, what a language, thought Pterano with annoyance. I'll never speak it, even if my own nephew demanded it.

Back inside the Great Valley, Takua gave the Energy Stone back to Kongu and told him to give it to Turaga Matau, who would keep it safe. Kongu accepted it and headed back to Le-Koro with Tamaru.

It was already evening by the time the gang returned home. They spent the rest of the evening telling the dinosaurs of the Great Valley about their search for the Energy Stones so far. With the Energy Stone of Air found, only two more Energy Stones remained to be found. The gang hoped that they would be able to find those Energy Stones before Makuta could.
-------

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No comments? Oh well, at least I'm still updating this story. Here's the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 37
Rough Water

The next morning, the gang gathered at Kini-Nui and stood near the tablet to find the clue to the next Energy Stone. “Alright, we've found four Energy Stones so far,” said Takua. “I guess that means we have two more left to find. Who wants to reveal the next clue?”

“I think I should do it,” replied Ducky. “It might be an Energy Stone that is easier to find. It might, it might.” Takua then helped her up to the tablet. As soon as she touched the tablet, another single row of letters appeared just below the previously revealed clues.

Takua put Ducky back on the ground and read the clue. The symbol on the left was three wavy lines that were aligned horizontally. “To find the Energy Stone of Water, we must seek 'under the falling water on a familiar island',” said Takua.

The gang thought about the clue for a moment. “If the Energy Stone is under falling water, that could mean it's under a waterfall,” said Ruby.

“That makes sense to me,” said Littlefoot. Everyone else agreed.

“But what about the 'familiar island'?” asked Takua. “Have any of you been on any islands?”

“The only one I can think of is the one I used to live on with my mom and dad,” replied Chomper. “I also think there was a waterfall on that island, but only one.”

“Alright, our best hope of finding this Energy Stone will be on that island Chomper used to live on. Which way do we go, Chomper?”

“Uh, I'm not sure about that,” said Littlefoot.

“Yeah, me want to keep far-distance from big-water,” said Petrie.

“Besides, we don't even have a way of getting there,” said Cera.

Takua chuckled and said, “That's what you think. That's because you never had something that us Matoran have: boats. All we have to do is borrow one from a Ga-Matoran.”

“I guess this means we will need to go to Ga-Koro before we leave,” said Littlefoot. Everyone agreed on this and headed for Ga-Koro.
________

When the gang arrived at the shipyard in Ga-Koro, they saw both Maku and Kotu working on one of the large boats that was currently docked. Takua walked up to them and said, “Hey, we're about to start our search for the Energy Stone of Water, but we think it's on an island. We were wondering if we could borrow a boat so that we could reach that island.”

“Of course you can,” replied Maku. “We've actually been anticipating that you would come here and ask for a boat. This boat we're working on here is just large enough for all of us to ride in and can handle even the worst seas there are. Just give us a few minutes to finish fixing a few things here and we'll be ready to take you to that island.”

The gang accepted this and were willing to wait. They were glad to actually have a boat that they could all fit in. They were also glad that both Maku and Kotu were willing to help them.

However, Ruby thought that one more Ga-Matoran should come with them as well. It had been a while since she helped Hahli with her daily chores, but she felt that Hahli should be offered a chance to give her and her friends some help.

After searching for about a minute, Ruby found Hahli repairing a net. Ruby walked up to her and said, “Hello, Hahli. Hahli, hello. My friends and I are about to begin looking for the Energy Stone of Water and I was wondering if you would like to come with us and help us find it.”

Hahli felt uncertain about it. “I'm not sure,” she said. “I've almost never been outside of Ga-Koro before.”

“You don't have to come with us if you don't want to. I was just wondering if you wanted to come and help us. We will be leaving soon, so I guess I should get back to the boat now.” Ruby then turned around and headed back to the shipyard, leaving Hahli to think about what she wanted to do.

A few minutes later, the boat was ready to go. Everyone soon got in the boat. They were about to leave when they saw Hahli running towards them. “Wait!” she shouted. She than came to a stop at the edge of the dock next to the boat. “I want to come with you.”

“Are you sure about that?” asked Maku.

“It was actually Ruby's idea, but yes, I really do want to come with you,” replied Hahli.

“Then get in. I'm sure we have room for one more,” said Takua.

Hahli then climbed into the boat with the others. Maku, Kotu, and Hahli each grabbed a paddle and began to paddle the boat out of the shipyard. They then paddled the boat to the end of the lake where it became a river that flowed downstream. This would be the direction they would go in to reach the ocean, where they would find the island where the Energy Stone would be hidden.
________

It wasn't long before the boat was outside of the Great Valley. The Ga-Matoran assured the kids that they would arrive at their destination in much less than a day, since traveling by boat was often much faster than walking.

Maku had heard that the island they were going to was the one where Chomper used to live. Although she knew that he used to live there, she didn't know how he managed to get off that island, since dinosaurs don't have anything like boats. “Hey Chomper, I was wondering, how did you get off that island you used to live on?” asked Maku.

Chomper was about to reply, but he was unable to say anything before everyone heard the roar of a Fast-Biter. They looked up to see the Fast-Biters Screech and Thud standing at the edge of the cliff near the river. They looked like they were going to jump into the boat at any time.

“Those guys never seem to give up,” grumbled Takua.

Sure enough, the Fast-Biters leaped off the cliff and landed right in the middle of the boat. The gang was trapped on the front of the boat while the Ga-Matoran were on the back of the boat.

The Fast-Biters then slowly moved towards the gang. Suddenly, Screech felt something smack the side of his face hard. About a second later, Thud felt the same kind of smack. They looked back to see that Maku had taken her paddle out of the water and was now using it as a weapon.

“Get off this boat you horrible creatures!” exclaimed Maku. She then smacked each of them in the face with her paddle again. The Fast-Biters then decided to come after her. Maku moved fast and, one after the other, used her paddle to smack them over the side of the boat and into the river.

Once the Fast-Biters were overboard, the Ga-Matoran moved as quickly as they could to paddle the boat further away so the Fast-Biters wouldn't be able to get back in the boat again. By the time the Fast-Biters had resurfaced, the boat was already too far away for them to reach, so they had no choice but to swim back to the shore.

After moving downstream a little further, the Ga-Matoran slowed their paddling to the speed they were at before the Fast-Biters attacked. “I can see why those creatures have been such a problem for you this whole time,” said Maku.

“At least they are not as scary as Redclaw,” said Ducky.

“Yeah, I wonder if Redclaw ever made it out of that jungle we got him lost in yesterday,” said Chomper.

The boat came around a bend in the river and, sure enough, they saw Redclaw standing on the shore, ready to snatch the boat and stop the gang for good. “You just had to say that, didn't you?” said Cera.

The Ga-Matoran immediately began to paddle faster. Redclaw quickly lowered his head and tried to grab the boat with his powerful jaws. However, the boat had moved just out of reach and his head hitting the water caused a wave that sent the boat even further away from him. He roared in frustration as soon as he noticed this.

The boat rushed downstream. As soon as the effects of the wave were almost gone, everyone in the boat saw something they didn't want to see: rapids in the river.

This was nothing new to Maku and Kotu. They had ridden boats through rough water like this before, so they were capable of preventing serious damage to the boat. They tried their best to avoid the rocks and even use the rapids to their advantage so they could head downstream faster.

Despite their best efforts, the boat still hit a few rocks. Almost everyone was greatly disturbed by the sudden impacts of the boat hitting each rock. As the boat hit another rock, Ducky lost her balance and fell off of Spike's back and over the side of the boat. Takua saw this and reacted quickly. He jumped onto the side of the boat and grabbed Ducky's tail before she could hit the water. Takua then struggled to avoid going overboard himself. The boat hit another rock on the other side, causing Takua and Ducky to be thrown back into the boat.

The water was now getting so rough that Cera started to feel queasy. The boat hit another rock and a crack was heard. This was a clear sign that the boat was starting to take some damage. The gang was now starting to worry if the boat would even stay afloat after all these impacts.

To everyone's relief, the rapids soon disappeared. The damage done to the boat was hardly noticeable. “That sure was some rough water. Rough water that was,” said Ruby.

“Yeah, I'm just glad it's over,” said Cera, who was definitely relieved that it was over.

After waiting a minute for everyone to clam down, Takua asked, “How much further until we reach the ocean?”

“It can't be too far ahead,” replied Kotu. “I already hear the ocean waves from here.”

Indeed, she was right. They could hear the sounds of ocean waves lapping against the shore. After a few more minutes, they reached the point where the river entered the sea. Now they had to reach the island. “Which way do we go, left or right?” asked Takua.

Chomper remembered this river, and he also knew which direction they would find the island they were trying to reach. “Right,” replied Chomper

The Ga-Matoran turned the boat right and continued paddling. Everyone hoped that they would soon reach the island and that there wouldn't be anything dangerous in this ocean.
-------

Read and review, as always

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow, I haven't had a chapter done this quickly in a while. Then again, I haven't done a chapter this short in a while either. Anyway, here's the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 38
The Dangerous Sea

The group had been riding the boat northwards along the coast for almost an hour now. They were hoping that they were going in the right direction, but the island they were looking for was still not in sight.

“How much further do we have to go?” asked Littlefoot.

“Be patient, Littlefoot,” replied Maku. “We don't have any maps of this area, so we have no idea how much further we will have to go.”

Meanwhile, Cera was feeling very nauseous. She was leaning against the side of the boat with her head over the side. “I don't feel so good,” moaned Cera.

“Why didn't you tell us that you get seasick?” asked Hahli.

“I didn't think it would be such a problem.”

“Well, at least it won't become a problem as long as you don't lose your lunch, then it will become a problem,” said Ruby.

“Is that a bad thing?” asked Takua. He didn't have his backpack on, since there was no need to do so while riding in a boat.

Ruby nodded. “It attracts Swimming Sharpteeth.” Ruby had spent most of her life in the Mysterious Beyond, so everyone knew that she was very likely telling the truth.

Petrie jumped and exclaimed, “Swimming Sharpteeth!?” He then huddled down where he sat and nervously said, “Me hope we quick-reach island soon.”

About a minute later, Takua was looking over the side of the boat when he saw a shadow move across the water. It then moved under the boat. “Did you see that?” asked Takua.

“See what?” asked Kotu.

“I saw something swimming around. It just went under the boat.”

“Swimming Sharptooth?” asked Petrie.

Suddenly, on the other side of the boat from where Takua was, a large creature emerged from the water. It was a big lizard-like creature with powerful forearms. “Worse, Tarakava!” exclaimed Maku. The Tarakava was also wearing an infected mask.

The Tarakava roared and thrust its powerful forearms at them, hitting Takua and Ruby with enough force to throw them off the boat. It also tried to hit Maku, but she easily managed to jump out of the way. The Tarakava then plunged back beneath the waves.

Takua and Ruby hit the water. Ruby quickly resurfaced and began calling for help. Kotu dropped her paddle and jumped into the water. “I'm coming!” she shouted. She quickly swam towards Ruby.

Takua had hit the water with enough force to cause his mask to come off, and it was now sinking. He swam as fast as he could to try to reach it before he had to resurface. He finally managed to grab it and put it back on, without a second to spare. He quickly resurfaced and waved to the boat. “I'm okay!” he shouted. Suddenly, the Tarakava struck him in the back, sending him flying over the boat and back into the water.

Kotu reached Ruby and had her hold onto her back as she swam back to the boat. They had no idea where the Tarakava was, so Kotu swam as fast as she possibly could. Once they were near the boat, Maku held her paddle to them so they could safely climb back onto the boat.

Ruby was now safe, but no one knew what happened to Takua. Littlefoot looked over the side of the boat, but he saw no sign of Takua. “Takua! Where are you!?” shouted Littlefoot.

Suddenly, everyone heard a loud thump on the bottom of the boat and the boat suddenly rocked back and forth as if it had been hit by something. The movement of the boat was so much that Cera almost lost her lunch, but she managed to hold it down.

About a second later, Takua resurfaced. After taking a breath, he grunted in pain and held his head. Everyone called him to quickly come back to the boat. “Don't worry, that Tarakava won't attack us again. I took care of it,” said Takua as he tossed the Tarakava's infected mask onto the boat.

“You actually took off that Tarakava's mask?” asked Hahli.

Takua simply nodded.

“Don't you think it would have been a better idea to just get back in the boat?” asked Littlefoot.

“Actually, that wouldn't have been a good idea. We're out in the ocean, far from the coast. I knew that Tarakava would continue to attack us unless if we stopped him, so I did just that.”

Maku held her paddle out to Takua, who used it to get back onto the boat. As soon as he was back on the boat, Takua held his head as if he had hit something with it. “Take my advice when you're swimming underwater, don't resurface near a boat,” said Takua.

“Did you hit your head on the bottom of the boat?” asked Ducky.

Takua nodded.

“That would explain why the boat suddenly rocked a bit,” said Littlefoot.

“Guys, look! I see the island up ahead!” exclaimed Chomper.

Everyone quickly turned to look in the direction Chomper was pointing. Sure enough, they saw an island on the horizon that was near the coast. Most of the gang also recognized the shape of this island. This was indeed the island they were looking for.

“It is the island we are looking for! It is, it is!” exclaimed Ducky.

“Alright, let's get going,” said Maku. The three Ga-Matoran then began to quickly paddle the boat towards the island.

A few minutes later, they reached the island. Most of the group helped pull the boat ashore so that it wouldn't float away.

Cera didn't feel good at all. Her seasickness was still affecting her a lot. Kotu decided to stay behind with Cera so she could take care of her. Maku also decided to stay behind so that she could take a good look at the boat to make sure it wasn't damaged too much after having been through the rapids and the Tarakava attack.

Takua, Littlefoot, Ducky, Spike, Petrie, Chomper, Ruby, and Hahli headed inland to find the Energy Stone. Chomper led the group, since he was the only one who knew for sure where the only waterfall on this island was. After all that had happened so far, everyone hoped that they wouldn't face any more dangers.
-------

- Berix

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey. Pretty awesome chapters! I wish I had time to update as frequently as you do! Keep it up!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's the next chapter

-------
Chapter 39
Return to the Island

Chomper continued to lead the group across the island to where he believed was the only waterfall on this island, which was where the Energy Stone would hopefully be.

“How much further do we have to go?” asked Takua. “I think we've already walked across half of this island by now.”

“Don't worry, it's not that far now,” replied Chomper.

“You sure you not lost-wandering?” asked Petrie.

“Petrie, I lived on this island for nearly a year. I think I know my way to any place on this island by now.”

“I think you might be right, Chomper,” said Hahli. “I'm beginning to hear rushing water.”

Everyone stopped for a minute and listened. The noise was faint, but it was indeed rushing water.

“Could that be the waterfall?” asked Ducky.

“Only one way to find out,” replied Littlefoot. He then headed in the direction where they were hearing the rushing water. Everyone else decided to follow.

As they walked, the noise of the rushing water grew louder. Finally, they came out of the dense forest and saw a small river that was fed by a waterfall. The waterfall wasn't as big as the Thundering Falls in the Great Valley, but it was still large enough to be considered a magnificent sight.

“It is very beautiful, very beautiful it is,” said Ruby.

“See? I told you there was a waterfall here,” said Chomper.

“Okay, now that we're here, where do we look to find the Energy Stone?” asked Littlefoot.

“The clue said that it's under that waterfall, so I guess that means someone will need to dive under the water to find it,” answered Takua.

“I will go,” said Ducky. “I am a swimmer, so I am very good at swimming. Yep, yep, yep. I will find the Energy Stone and I will bring it here. I will, I will.” She then jumped into the water and dove beneath the surface.

Ducky looked in the direction of the waterfall and saw an underwater cave. It was small, but still very large compared to her. She swam towards the cave and as soon as she entered it, she saw a bluish glow in the water. She swam further into the cave and saw that at the end of it was a stone that was partially embedded into the cave wall and glowed a medium blue color. She realized that this was the Energy Stone of Water.

Ducky grabbed the stone and tried to pull it out from the wall of the cave. However, this proved to be very difficult. She quickly gave up because she needed to resurface for air. She quickly swam out of the cave and resurfaced near the waterfall.

“You find it?” asked Petrie.

“I found the Energy Stone! I did, I did!” replied Ducky. “But it is stuck. I will need to try again to get it out.” She then took a deep breath and dove back underwater.

Ducky swam back into the underwater cave. Now that she knew where to go and had taken a deep breath, she was more prepared this time to retrieve the Energy Stone. She found the Energy Stone and tried to pull it out again. Again, this proved to be very difficult, but she eventually succeeded. The sudden release of the Energy Stone had caused her to not only drop it, but also accidentally let out the air in her lungs. As a result, she had not choice but to resurface again. She swam out of the cave and resurfaced near the waterfall again.

“Where's the Energy Stone?” asked Littlefoot.

“I did get the Energy Stone unstuck. I did, I did,” replied Ducky. “But I dropped it and had to take another breath. This time, I will get the Energy Stone. I will, I will.” She then took another deep breath and dove back underwater.

Ducky swam back into the cave and saw the Energy Stone at the bottom of it. She swam down and grabbed it, but then she immediately ran into a problem. Compared to her, the Energy Stone was rather big, so she had to hold onto it with both hands. Now that she couldn't use her arms, her ability to swim was greatly reduced. She tried swimming with just her legs, but it felt rather awkward. This was mostly because the large-to-her Energy Stone kept getting in the way. She then noticed that she was still near the bottom of the cave, so she decided to carry the Energy Stone to shore by walking along the bottom instead of swimming. She only made it a few steps before she realized that she absolutely had to take another breath. Reluctantly, she dropped the Energy Stone and swam out of the cave and resurfaced near the waterfall again.

“Why do you still not have that Energy Stone?” asked Chomper, who was starting to get a little impatient.

“It is too big for me,” replied Ducky. “I can not swim with it. No, no, no.”

“I was afraid that you might be too little to get it,” said Takua. “I guess one of us will need to go down there with you so that we can get that Energy Stone.”

“I'll go,” said Hahli, before jumping into the water, but not yet diving under the surface.

“Are you sure?” asked Takua. After all, this was the kind of thing Takua would always do, while Hahli had never done such reckless things before.

“I'm a Ga-Matoran. We're also excellent swimmers,” replied Hahli. “Besides, I didn't choose to come with you just because Ruby asked me to.” She then dove beneath the surface.

Ducky then dove beneath the surface and led Hahli to the underwater cave and to the Energy Stone. When they reached it, Hahli picked up the stone from the bottom of the cave. They then swam back out of the cave and resurfaced. Hahli then tossed the Energy Stone to Takua before she and Ducky came ashore.

“Alright! We have the Energy Stone,” said Takua as he put the Energy Stone in his backpack. “Now let's get back to the boat so we can get back to the Great Valley.”

“It's getting late,” said Hahli. “We may have to spend the night here on this island.”

“In that case, we will just have to spend the night near the boat.” The group then headed back the way they came to get back to the boat.
________

Night had already fallen by the time the group arrived at the boat. They were quite pleased to see Cera walking around.

“How are you feeling, Cera?” asked Littlefoot.

“Much better, thanks to Kotu,” replied Cera.

“She just needed some rest on land, that's all,” said Kotu.

Hahli then walked up to Maku and asked, “How's the boat?”

“It's actually not as bad as we had feared,” replied Maku. “I hardly see any damage at all on this boat. That means we can safely return home right now.”

“We'll leave tomorrow. It's too dark right now,” said Hahli.

Maku nodded her head in agreement.

Everyone soon chose a spot for each of them to sleep in. Ducky, Petrie, Spike, Chomper, Maku, and Kotu decided to sleep inside the boat, just to be safe. Cera thought it was too crowded inside the boat to sleep in it, so she decided to sleep on the beach near the boat. Not far from her, Takua and Littlefoot decided to sleep near each other, like they always did in the Great Valley.

Nearby, Ruby decided to sleep near Hahli, but before going to sleep, she wanted to ask her a question. “Hahli?” asked Ruby. “When you went to get that Energy Stone earlier today, you said that me asking you to come with us was not the only reason you decided to come with us. What was the other reason?”

Hahli sighed. “I guess I just wanted to see what it was like to be outside the village,” she replied. “I've always had thoughts of leaving the village to see other places, but I guess I was too shy to tell anyone about it.”

Ruby thought about this for a moment. “Well, at least now you got to see what it was like. If you want to, you could help us find the rest of the Energy Stones. That is, if you like going on adventures, now that you know what going on an adventure is like.”

“Thanks, but I think one adventure is enough for me. I think I'll continue my duties in Ga-Koro for a few days before I decide to try to find another one.” Hahli then laid down on the sandy beach. “Goodnight, Ruby.”

“Goodnight, Hahli.” Ruby then yawned and laid down on the sandy beach as well.

Within a few minutes, everyone was asleep. Tomorrow, they would return to the Great Valley. Hopefully, they would not face as many dangers as they had that day.
-------

- Berix

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
The chatper was good has it always been. But I'm shocked that you haven't added a few more bad guys like Strut, Ozzie, Ichy, Dil, Rinkus and Sierra to go along with Thud, Screech and Redclaw?

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great chapter! I think I know Hahli from a webgame, but I'm not quite sure.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hahli has been in a few webgames, but which one are you referring to? Also, I'm trying to keep an equal amount of villains from the two universes, so you won't see many for now. Anyway, here's the next chapter.

-------
Chapter 40
More Dangers of the Sea

As soon as Littlefoot woke up, he immediately knew something wasn't right. He had been sleeping near Takua, but when he woke up, Takua wasn't there. What had happened to Takua?

“Takua?” called Littlefoot. “Takua!? Takua! Where are you!?” He didn't hear any responses.

By now, Littlefoot's shouts had woken up everyone. “What's going on?” asked Chomper.

“Takua is gone!” exclaimed Littlefoot.

“Don't tell me he decided to wander off again,” grumbled Cera.

“I don't know, but we need to find him.”

“I agree,” said Ruby. “After all, the Energy Stone is in his backpack, which is with him and not with us.”

“But we need to get the boat ready as soon as possible,” said Maku. “Paddling a boat back up a river is not easy.”

“You can stay here and get the boat ready,” said Littlefoot. “The rest of us will find Takua. Come on!” The gang then headed into the dense forest of the island to look for Takua, while Maku, Kotu and Hahli stayed with the boat to get it ready for the return trip.
________

Following the unique scent of a Matoran, Chomper was easily able to lead his friends in the right direction to find Takua. They all hoped that Takua would not be in any danger when they found him.

It wasn't long until they found Takua. Clearly, he had wandered off, like he always did. He was walking across a log that spanned a flooded chasm. He was walking to the other side from where the gang was, so he didn't notice they were there.

The gang called to Takua, hoping to get his attention. However, Takua was caught by surprise so much that he lost his balance on the log and slipped off. Fortunately, he thought quickly and made sure he hit the water in such a way that it wouldn't injure him. Once he resurfaced, he quickly took out his lavaboard, which was also able to float on water. He then climbed onto it. The gang looked over the edge to see him floating on his lavaboard and drifting towards the ocean.

“Don't worry about me, guys!” called Takua. “Get back to the boat! I'll meet you somewhere on the way to the river!”

Knowing there was no way they could save Takua at this time, the gang was forced to return to the boat and hope that they would meet up with him as soon as possible.
________

The gang made it back to the boat more quickly than they had left it. As the gang ran towards the boat, Hahli asked, “Where's Takua?”

“He fell into a river, but he's okay,” replied Littlefoot. “He's floating on his lavaboard and said we would have to meet up with him somewhere in the ocean. We have to leave now!”

“Okay, help us push the boat into the water and we'll be on our way,” said Maku. The gang quickly agreed and helped the Ga-Matoran push the boat off of the beach. With their combined effort, it didn't take them long to do it. Once the boat was floating on the water, everyone quickly jumped in. The Ga-Matoran grabbed their paddles and started paddling the boat away from the island.

The island was not even out of sight of the boat when Littlefoot saw Takua trying to reach them as quickly as possible. “There he is!” he exclaimed. Everyone else rushed to the side of the boat to see that he was indeed swimming towards them on his lavaboard. He was in no immediate danger, but  they all knew that the sooner he got to the boat, the less likely he would be in danger.

That Ga-Matoran stopped paddling away from the island so that Takua, who was also paddling away from the island, but more slowly, would be able to catch up to them more easily. Soon after they stopped paddling, Kotu noticed a large shadow moving across the water. She tried to see what it was, but it quickly swam under the boat. “You might want to hurry up, Takua!” called Kotu. “I just saw something big swimming in the water!”

“Could that be another Tarakava?” asked Hahli.

Ruby leaned over the edge of the boat to see what it was. A moment later, a large mouth full of sharp teeth shot out of the water and went towards her. She quickly jumped back to avoid losing her head. “No, Swimming Sharptooth,” she simply replied.

Maku barely caught a glimpse of the Swimming Sharptooth, but it was enough for her to understand what it could do. To her, it resembled a Takea, a shark-like Rahi often found in the seas near Ga-Koro. These Rahi were very dangerous, even without an infected mask. Although she had no idea how it compared to one of these Swimming Sharpteeth, she knew they shouldn't take any chances.

The gang began calling for Takua to get to the boat as quickly as possible. Takua, seeing the frightened looks on their faces, knew that he had to get into the boat immediately.

One he was close enough, Takua took off his backpack and tossed it onto the boat. He then continued paddling to the boat on his lavaboard. Suddenly, a large mouth came out of the water, grabbed Takua's arm, and pulled him underwater, leaving his lavaboard floating in the water.

Everyone was shocked at what they had just seen. None of them said anything. However, it wasn't long until something began swimming towards the surface. They expected it to be the Swimming Sharptooth, but, to their surprise, it was Takua! Even more surprising, he didn't seem injured at all and, after taking a breath when he resurfaced, he was actually laughing!

“What's so funny?” asked Cera.

“Remember how I said that Fast-Biters have very weak bite?” said Takua, happily. “Apparently, the same goes for Swimming Sharpteeth as well.” Takua then grabbed his lavaboard and soon climbed into the boat. “As soon as that thing attacked me, all I did was rip my arm out of its mouth and swam to the surface. I must have ripped out half of its teeth when I pulled my arm out.” Takua then put his lavaboard back in his backpack.

“Alright, Takua, you've some explaining to do!” exclaimed Cera. “What were you thinking wandering off like that!”

“I just wanted to see what was on that island,” replied Takua. “I've never been to that place before and I wanted to do something while I waited for the boat to be ready to leave.”

“But you had the Energy Stone with you,” stated Littlefoot.

Takua nervously chuckled and scratched the back of his head. “Yeah... I actually forgot about that until you sent me into the water.”

“You forgot!?” exclaimed Cera. “What do you mean you forgot about it!?”

“I don't know. I guess I just assumed that one of the Ga-Matoran had it instead of me. I had just woken up and I thought I had given it to somebody to give it to the Turaga, like I always do.”

“Well, next time, try to think about these things more carefully,” said Maku. “You never know what could attack you, especially when you have something Makuta wants.”

Despite the danger they had just seen, the group felt confident that they wouldn't face any more serious dangers on their way back to the Great Valley.
________

It took all day for them to get back to the Great Valley. Finding the river was easy, but paddling the boat back upstream was difficult, especially when they reached the rapids. They had to use some extra sticks they found near the riverbanks to help push the boat against the current of the rough water. Fortunately, they didn't come across any more serious trouble.

It was already sunset by the time they returned to Ga-Koro. When they reached the dock where the boat would be kept, they were surprised to see Jala waiting there. “What took you so long?” asked Jala. “I've been waiting here since the middle of the day.”

“Hey, it's not easy to push this boat upstream, especially when there's rough water in many places,” replied Takua. “Besides, why have you been waiting here?”

“It was a request by Turaga Vakama. He said that I'll need to give you and your friends as much help as I can tomorrow. Now that we have five of the Energy Stones, Makuta will likely try everything he can to prevent us from finding the last Energy Stone. Most of my guards are too busy fighting off Rahi attacks, but I have asked one of my best guardsmen to temporarily take my place as Captain while I travel with you to help find that Energy Stone.”

“You want to help us find the last Energy Stone?” asked Littlefoot.

“Yes, once you have figured out the clue on that tablet, you are to meet up with me outside the Eastern Pass tomorrow morning.”

As Jala spoke, Maku and Kotu were securing the boat to the dock so that it wouldn't float away. However, Hahli had been listening along with Takua and the gang. “Sounds like you'll be quite busy tomorrow,” said Hahli.

“I'm this busy every day. It's a tough job to be Captain of the Guard, but somebody has to do it.”

“Well then, I'm just glad that someone like you is willing to accept such a duty.”

Before Hahli left to return home, Takua took the Energy Stone of Water out of his backpack and said, “Hahli, take this to Turaga Nokama. She will keep it safe.”

“Thanks, Takua,” said Hahli, before taking the Energy Stone. As she left, she waved at Jala and said, “See you later.”

Takua then noticed something odd about Jala. Jala seemed to watch Hahli as she left, and his attention didn't seem to be anywhere else. “Jala?” asked Takua. “Jala?”

Jala quickly turned his attention back to Takua and the gang. “Like I said, meet me at the Eastern Pass tomorrow morning,” said Jala. He then headed back to Ta-Koro.

“That was weird,” commented Cera.

“Yeah, I've never seen Jala act like that before,” said Takua.

“Did it have something to do with Hahli?” asked Ducky.

“I don't know. Anyway, we should probably go home now. It's getting late.”

The gang agreed and headed back to their nests to get some rest. They all knew that with one more Energy Stone left to find, it would very likely be the most difficult one to get.
-------

- Berix