The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Ah!  You beat me! :P:

Oh well!  At least I know where to catch it.  Now I just need to wait for that day.  Just like the Episodes, I'll keep an open mind for this one. :)

See ya later! :wave

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Looks like the theater close to my place will be showing Equestria Girls. Wow, I wasn't expecting it to actually be playing there.

I think I might actually be interested in seeing it now. Now I just have to see if my friends will want to go.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
That pic was from last year. I recognize the giant Derpy in the case.

Also, does anyone know what that yellow robot thing is? Kind of looks like the R-Dash 5000.

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I'd like to see some more mythic creatures.A Peryton would be fine.
Since MLP FIM has plenty of references to pop culture,i'd really like to see a nod to the original Land Before Time film...What would be a nice shout out to it,guys???For example,a flashback of Twilight's birth that resembles Littlefoot's birth,a quote from the original movie or something like those

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Here's the Equestria Girls trailer:

NY Times

I am definitely seeing this film.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess it may have aspects of the my little pony tales era.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
A few things based on the trailer...

Firstly, they're really going to make Spike a dog? For real? As much as I love dogs, I think that's pretty demeaning to his character. It basically says that Spike is nothing more than Twilight's pet. I mean, they couldn't have just made him human/anthro Twilight's little brother?

Secondly, it looks like my fears were right: this is going to be yet another generic high school movie. Twilight goes to high school, meets a hot guy, they go to prom(or whatever high school event it is). Oh, and the Crystal Empire crown just so happens to be part of the prom.  Also, who is that guy supposed to be anyway? Is that Soarin'?

Lastly, I just can't get over these character designs. They are awful! Every single fanart I've seen of the Mane Six as humans looks better than these Bratz knockoffs.

I'm sorry for the negativity but this really looks bad. I'm going to have to think long and hard on whether I should go see this in theaters or not.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a theory as to why Hasbro went with the designs they did.  It's going to sound stupid, but it is reality, sadly.

Would you believe me if I told you that some fans consider their fanart Legal Copyright Works rather than the Non-Profit Fair Use Works they are?  Because of this, those particular fans will sue ANY studio that makes anything similar to their work, regardless of the fact that it just sounds stupid, simply because it can work.

Since the beginning, fans of MLP:FiM have made human versions of their favorite ponies.  Many of which have made it to the eyes of the original creators of the show.  As such, with the possibility of a lawsuit hanging over their heads, they had to go with a design that was different from the fan works to avoid getting sued.

Yeah, makes me want to post a facehoof too.

However, stuff like this is factual reality and it's something we have to deal with now. -_-

Stupid theory?  Yes, but one that has the best probability of being the truth.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Spike is a dog.  That is pretty demeaning.  It would make more sense, in my opinion if he were a little kid.  Maybe an odd one since maybe he'd be realistically drawn instead of the odd way the others look.  If I want to see pony characters in a high school setting I"ll go watch an episode of My Little Pony Tales.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Eh. It looks bad, but I'm not worried yet. As long as this remains outside of the show, I'm not going to let this ruin my enjoyable of FIM.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know, people who are saying that Spike being a dog demeans his character, I think I can prove you wrong.

If there is one thing I noted in the trailer, it's that Twilight does not understand how a human functions. (Come on, the way she ate an apple as a human, I'm sure that's saying something to you.) What's more, she has used magic most of her life and probably doesn't know how to function without it.  In a sense, she is disabled.

So what does this have to do with Spike being a dog?  Well, answer this...

What animal is the #1 companion for those that are disabled?  Yep, a dog.

You cannot deny how much dogs have helped those who are disabled, and you know this goes FAR beyond those that are blind.

Him being a dog is to NOT look at him as a pet, but as the other thing a dog is to humans.  A loyal and helpful companion.  So, if they play Spike like that, it'll show that they are matching his character in this way.

He has ALWAYS been a loyal and helpful companion to Twilight, and him being a dog is what matches him in this case. :)

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Not knowing how to be a human doesn't really make Twilight disabled though. If anything, it's more like she's learning another culture. Say for instance, I have dinner with an Asian family. Now let's say this family prefers to eat with chopsticks(not trying to be racist or stereotypical here). As someone who has never used chopsticks in his life, you'd expect me to have some difficulty adjusting to this new method of eating. Would my not being familiar with chopsticks mean I'm disabled? Not really, it just means I'm learning something I'm not familiar with.

As for Spike being a dog, everything you said can also be applied to a younger sibling, which I personally think they should have gone with, Spike being Twilight's little brother(which he pretty much is in the show). A younger sibling can be just as loyal and helpful as a dog. Besides, what sounds better/cuter? A little boy with a crush on an older woman, or a dog with a crush on someone of another species?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Here's a little interesting tidbit.  EqD had gone to the length of extracting the trailer piece by piece, thus uncovering who would be in the movie.  From the pictures, I have only one question to ask.

I'm sure you all know who these three are.  What are they doing in high school?

I'm sure the age difference between the main six and these three was bigger than what this could be showing.

For me, things have gotten more interesting.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The only idea I have is the main 6 may be seniors or juniors at the least and these 3 may be freshman.   Or maybe the junour high school is having a party at the same place & time as the high school is, a combined party sort of thing, or celebration.  Or they simply went to the same club after school or on weekends.  Like how adults and high school folks, and some kids, would all hang out in the mmpr era juice bar place.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd like to quote what a brony on BZPower said regarding his thoughts on Equestria Girls:
I'm not hugely optimistic about Equestria Girls... it's not like Twilight becoming a princess where it was the conclusion to a substantial amount of buildup, and to be honest it could be either good or bad. With that said, as with Twilight becoming a princess, I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions a little bit too early. We've heard hardly anything about Equestria Girls that gives us reason to worry. It seems silly in some ways, perhaps, but not bad.

Now, it's abundantly clear to me that this is meant to launch a product line. The character designs have all the right ingredients for a line of fantasy fashion dolls similar to Monster High. And personally, I think this is a very bold and innovative move on Hasbro's part. Human or anthro versions of the characters are already popular with fanartists in the community, and have the potential to be just as popular with the preteen and teenage audience Hasbro is likely targeting. The characters' personalities are certainly diverse enough to launch this kind of product line around them, and indeed I think the costume designs we've seen really show how well Hasbro can take advantage of that (Ranging from Applejack's jean skirt and boots to Twilight's blouse and argyle socks to Rainbow's jean jacket and ridiculous high-top sneakers).

The main issue I have with the character designs is that unlike many anthro designs I've seen from fan artists, the characters all share a single heavily-stylized body type. But this, too, is a sure sign of product design considerations. Using the same body type means being able to have the clothes and accessories fully interchangeable between the characters, just as with the brushable pony toys. And additionally this allows girls to identify with the characters based on personality rather than based on physical traits. Similarly, the ponies have kept their skin/coat colors, which neatly avoids the race issue that can often be so controversial within the fandom while giving them another level of fantasy appeal.

I'm gonna watch the Equestria Girls special because I'm excited to see what happens with this, good or bad. It's definitely something very new for the My Little Pony brand and Hasbro has every incentive to make it work out. I'm not expecting it to have anywhere near the same mass appeal as the core Friendship is Magic TV show and brand, but as a spin-off it has the chance to make a positive impression, and I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt unless it turns out to be really and truly awful.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Normally I try not to post links to stuff from Equestria Daily but take a look at this http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/an-a...m-and-trot.html

My God. It seems like every time I start to believe I can think positively about this fandom, some numbnuts do something stupid to lower my opinion of it.

This is terrible. I'm not very optimistic about Equestria Girls either but come on Bronies! Death threats over a movie that isn't even due out for another month? The Brony fandom REALLY needs to learn to calm down. I mean, first the Derpy incident, then Alicorn Twilight and now this? I'm not surprised that some people are leaving. Hell, I bet if the fans continue to act like this, the creators might just ax the show altogether.