The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was able to watch Friendship Games today. In fact, I was actually quite lucky to find a video of the uncut version that was apparently shown in Canada (the version that was shown here in the US has just over two minutes cut out for the movie to fit a perfect time slot). There's so much to mention that I won't even bother talking about any of the content. Though I will say that I'm already getting ideas for my next fanfiction.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Sep 27 2015 on  05:45 PM
I was able to watch Friendship Games today. In fact, I was actually quite lucky to find a video of the uncut version that was apparently shown in Canada (the version that was shown here in the US has just over two minutes cut out for the movie to fit a perfect time slot).
Could you give us a link for that version?  I prefer to watch my movies uncut.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
There's a cut and uncut version of Friendship Games? What exactly did they have to cut out?

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Sep 27 2015 on  08:15 PM
Quote from: The Chronicler,Sep 27 2015 on  05:45 PM
I was able to watch Friendship Games today. In fact, I was actually quite lucky to find a video of the uncut version that was apparently shown in Canada (the version that was shown here in the US has just over two minutes cut out for the movie to fit a perfect time slot).
Could you give us a link for that version?  I prefer to watch my movies uncut.
The link was the 480 version on Equestria Daily's stream page, though that link unfortunately has since been removed in favor of a higher quality (but not the Canadian uncut) version. Luckily, the video appears to still be up today, so I decided to watch it a couple more times. I've been unable to find a higher quality version, but that's okay, because all I care about is being able to watch the whole thing.

link

(Hopefully, I typed that link correctly, because I had to copy it visually from my desktop to my laptop, since I use my desktop for videos and my laptop for regular web browsing.)
EDIT: Good news is that I got it right. Bad news is that it was apparently blocked in just the last few hours.

- Berix

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That was a neat episode! Much needed interaction between Rarity and Rainbow Dash, and a rather positive one at that! The two ponies may be different but are great pals nonetheless. Rares proved herself to be an awesome detective. After all, those who work with fashion have a great eye for details. Oh, and Sassy's back real soon. Dat continuity. And she's doing a great job as a business partner.
I really liked how they handled the film noir elements, even going deliberately monochrome in certain scenes. Needless to say, Wind Rider totally got what he deserved. I'm specially fond of how Soarin' was like. Even if Spitfire's not around, he's a competent authority on his own. And more Wonderbolt members!
Mmm, Rarity is a fan of detective Shadow Spade's novels, huh? Could she be as popular as Daring Do?
Also, those ponified Sherlock, Wadson and Moriarty... sweet. And that jazz version of the end credits was amazing.

Made in Manehattan was adorable. Nice to see Coco returning, And when we thought she couldn't get any cuter, we get glimpses of her filly life! Hnnnghh...
So, Twilight is bored of her skull with reading huh? Don't worry Twi, pretty sure you'll get a mission soon. And it's great to see all the Manehattan ponies coming to see the Midsummer Festival an having a good time while getting along. The moral was handled decently. Oh, and that Peanuts reference sure was a neat touch. Rarity and AJ are always amusing when together and they certainly did not disappoint. I shall post my thoughts on the movie later on.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I decided to do a little searching on Dailymotion (because videos there tend to stay up longer), and it looks like someone just recently managed to upload the Canadian uncut version (though quality is still at 480). At this time, only the first half of the movie is up, so you might want to wait a bit for the second half to appear as well.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37zahv_m...rt-1_shortfilms

For those of you wondering what was cut out in the US TV version, there's a scene of Twilight and Principal Cinch just after Twilight meets Sunset and the others, and the credits have a song and pictures (some of them quite funny) supposedly taken throughout the events of the movie. I'm sure these scenes will be included in the DVD being released in two weeks, so until then, it looks like the best you'll get is the video I just found.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Thank you, Chronicler!  I was about to give up and search for one myself.  As I was going to do so, this little thing on EQD distracted me.  Here are the summaries for the rest of Season 5.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/09/the-...y-season-5.html

Now, if you don't mind, I'll be hooking up my laptop to my TV so I can watch the movie the way I want to. :) (If you're wondering, my laptop has an HDMI connector.  So, it can actually do that. :D )

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, so part 1 ended on a good note and it looks like the one whom originally uploaded it might not get part 2 up until tomorrow.  I'll be able to watch it and give my thoughts on it fully then.

Until then, may as well do something else.

See ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And here's the second half of the Canadian uncut version.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x383cjr_m...rt-2_shortfilms

- Berix

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
NICE!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Question: what are the differences between the cut and uncut versions of Friendship Games? What kind of stuff was taken out?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^One of the things I have found is that the uncut version doesn't skimp out on the credits and reveals a spoiler of the last episode of Season 5.

I have finally gotten around to finishing the movie. (Sorry, "Animal Crossing - Happy Home Designer" is quite addicting.) However, I don't have time right now to give my thoughts on it.  I will say the following though.

There's a certain principal you're going to be hating after this and she's meant to be hated.

For now, I have to head for work.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sunday!  Sunday will be the day I give my thoughts on Friendship Games.  Until then though, we have a new episode tomorrow and as I always do, here are the marathons leading up to the episode.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/stre...hons-today.html

*sighs* Looks like I'll be missing out on the Disney version of Robin Hood.  Oh well! :(

See ya all tomorrow for the episode. :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LIVE STREAM POST!!

Hello everyone!  Today, we have an episode that has a connection with last week's episode.

Summary: While Applejack is away in Manehatten, Big Mac decides to take her place in the Sisterhooves Social.

Wonder how this will go.  Here's the link for the Live Streams.

Season 5 Episode 17 - Brotherhooves Social Live Streams

I'll be able to give my thoughts and the Online Post on it today.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am looking forward to this morning's episode and once again I know nothing about it.  Neat, I like it that way.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW POST!

Okay, this one was... intriguing.  Ugh!  This is one that makes me feel uneasy.  I really felt bad for Big Mac, but I feel he was going about it all the wrong way.  At least we get a good ending with this one.

To be honest, I can't see this as a great episode.  Decent, but not great.  It at least gave Big Mac the character development the big guy sorely needed.  Which I think is a good thing.

No spoiler version today.  I really don't want to go into detail with this one.

Okay, fine!  I'll give one spoiler!  Highlight to read it!

Crossdressing is done as a joke.  It doesn't feel like one here.

Okay, I'm really done now.  See ya all for the Online Post. :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
ONLINE POST!

Well, here's the online versions for the latest episode.

Season 5 Episode 17 - YouTube 720p Version

Season 5 Episode 17 - Dailymotion Version

Enjoy!  Tomorrow, I'll talk about Friendship Games! :D

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(spoilers)
To be completely honest, this was one of my least favorite episodes of all, and I'd rather not go into any details. To me, the only part that made this episode even worth watching was near the ending when Big Mac confesses his thoughts and feelings to Apple Bloom, such as how Applejack is the hero of the family while he's just down at the farm every day.
(end spoilers)

I'd like to mention that of the three Equestria Girls movies, Friendship Games has definitely become my favorite. I've actually watched it almost every day for the past week. Even though I think it makes a great way to end a trilogy, I certainly wouldn't mind if we see a new one next year.

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Oct 3 2015 on  06:20 PM
I'd like to mention that of the three Equestria Girls movies, Friendship Games has definitely become my favorite. I've actually watched it almost every day for the past week. Even though I think it makes a great way to end a trilogy, I certainly wouldn't mind if we see a new one next year.
Well, you're in luck!  A 4th Equestria Girls movie has been confirmed.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/10/eque...-by-hasbro.html

Probably won't appear until the end of Season 6, but we'll see. :)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW ON FRIENDSHIP GAMES POST!!

So, here is my review for Equestria Girls: Friendship Games.  This is a really, really good movie.  For me, despite the backlash it might get from some fans, (Mostly because it takes place in a high school setting.) the series of the Equestria Girls movies just keeps getting better and better, and keep in mind, I liked the first one.  Rainbow Rocks was better, and despite how good that was, Friendship Games somehow topped it.  I'll try not to spoil too much for this one, but I make no guarantees.

This one took things at a slightly different angle.  For one thing, there's not a single scene where Twilight from the pony world appears. (Well, except the ending after the conflict is resolved.) Instead, we have Twilight's human counterpart pretty much hogging most of the movie.  On top of that, the heroes don't go up against the real villain, but rather those that are corrupted by the villain and one that is forced by the villain.  Yeah, Twilight's human counterpart is not really the villain here.

The real villain here is Principal Cinch of Crystal Prep.  I seriously HATE this woman.  Even with understanding that she's the real villain, I hate her.  There were times in this movie that I wanted to go in there and kick her butt.  That's how much I hate her.  She pretty much corrupts her students into believing that winning is the only thing that matters, mainly because winning is the only way to keep up their reputation now.  As for with Twilight, Principal Cinch blackmails Twilight by telling her that if she doesn't compete in the Friendship Games, then her application to the school she wants to go to will be denied.

Finally, we have a Magic Containment Device that Twilight made and that she can't really control.  Mainly because it's doing what it was programmed to do.  As a result, this device causes tears between the two worlds to appear whenever it steals magic from the main cast.  They disappear when the device stops taking the magic, but it's obvious just how dangerous it is.

This is the main bulk of the story.  Twilight is forced to play in the Friendship Games and her device steals the magic of the main cast whenever they "pony up" as they call it.  Heck, there's even times that show that she really wants to have a good time with this whole thing, but her device just causes problems.  She's really not a bad person and you really feel sorry for what is happening to her.

All of this thing of stealing and containing the magic comes to a climatic fight ending when Principal Cinch and the students of Crystal Prep force Twilight to unleash the magic.  She becomes this being that has been dubbed "Midnight Sparkle", and she looks awesome!

Click Here to be Spoiled!

In this climax, Sunset Shimmer becomes her own version to fight back,

and the two duke it out in one of the most epic battles I've seen.

It ends with the two firing beams of light at one another and Sunset only wins because Twilight gets distracted and comes to her senses thanks to Spike.  In the end, Sunset offers her hand of friendship to Twilight and she takes it.  This ends their transformations and sets everything back the way it was before this all started.

However, there is one change now, the Twilight of the human world will be going to Canterlot High and is now friends with the main cast.

I think that's all I want to spoil.  I did enjoy it quite a bit and the songs were good and enjoyable.  Then again, nothing here beats "Shine Like Rainbows" from the last movie, which has become my favorite song of the pony series, period.

This was a good movie and I'll definitely buy it when it comes out on Blu-ray later this month.

That's all from me.