The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Plate Tectonics on Europa

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
http://www.space.com/27059-jupiter-moon-eu...-tectonics.html

According to a recent analysis of images taken by the Galileo space probe from over ten years ago, it's possible that Jupiter's icy moon Europa may have plate tectonics, which would make it the first known world besides Earth to have such a system.

Since these "plates" would be made of ice instead of rock, it would work a little differently than what we're familiar with on Earth, but the process is basically the same. Plates that diverge create space for new material to rise up (which has already been determined for a while now), and where plates converge, one slips underneath the other and the old material is recycled into the interior (which is what the recent analysis was able to determine). This could explain why the surface of Europa is relatively young.

This also might have an impact on the possibility of life on Europa. These plates likely don't extend through the entire thickness of the solid crust, but it could gradually help to bring nutrients and other material from the surface down to the ocean of liquid water underneath.

I find this to be quite a fascinating discovery. :)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow, this is the first that I have heard of this.  This certainly does affect the possibility of life on Europa.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Wow.

Could this bring up the possibility of two different kinds of life on Europa? I mean, life on the frozen surface, and different life that's adapted to the warmer water in the mantle?

Very interesting, indeed. Now I really want NASA to send a probe there to find out!
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is interesting news.  And if Europa does have life it may be similar, or maybe completely different from life on Earth.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I always thought the young ice on Europe was a consequence of high-pressure outbursts of material (in this case water) through an otherwise inert crust, a mechanism that dominates on Venus. But now it would appear it is a consequence ofplate tectonics, a mechanism that dominates on Earth.

Quote from: vonboy, Sep 11 2014 on  05:12 AM
Could this bring up the possibility of two different kinds of life on Europa? I mean, life on the frozen surface, and different life that's adapted to the warmer water in the mantle?

The surface of Europa is an environment very inimical to life. The Europan atmosphere has a significant percentage of free oxygen atoms, which are highly reactive and would bind very quickly with any complex molecules they run across. There is also the highly ionizing radiation from Jupiter, which would ionize the complex molecules themselves, also changing their structure. However, ice is very good protection against these influences, and already a mere 10 meters under the surface any trapped life form will be completely shielded and its fossils would remain as long the ice exists. Actually, these fossils would be preserved in a far better state than fossils on Earth, because they would not be exposed to high temperatures and rock. We could find out everything we need about their chemistry.

And since there is young ice everywhere due to plate tectonics, these fossils will be found everywhere on Europa. You just need a hardened impactor that would hit the surface at a certain speed, stopping itself under 10 meters of ice, and conduct the analysis.  This mission is sufficiently simple that even space agencies with meagre budgets should be able to carry it out.