The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Grammar Usage

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I was thinking the other day about the way characters talk in LBT. At the same time I remembered how "The Teletubbies" got some bad press a while back about ruining how young children speak, and I wondered if the same thing could apply to LBT. To those of you whose English isn't particularly good, do you find that your grammar is messed up by the way LBT characters talk?

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
I think society troubles speech more, rap, poorly used slang, etc.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Right. I has very well grammar.

Actually, I have exceptional grammar. I just like to joke around every now and then.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can see why one would think this would be so. (Petrie's way of talking is, by far, the best example)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I don't have any issues with grammar, but I do have a habit to be politically incorrect as often as possible, or it could be that I'm black and I just do that subconsciously:lol But seriously I don't think LBT is ruining children's grammar usage, I mean while Petrie IS the best example of this, as stated by The Chronicler...

Even when I was like five and watching these movies, I knew what Petrie MEANT to say...so I suppose it's all in how the watcher sees it.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Mar 11 2008 on  05:32 PM
I can see why one would think this would be so. (Petrie's way of talking is, by far, the best example)
I feel that a connection between poor grammer and LBT is EXTREMELY thin at best.

Bad slang, overuse of "Electronic/Web speak" and insufficient education is more responsible.

Um, shouldn't this be in After Midnight or the Fridge?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Even in the Spanish version he has poor grammar, and I pick up on it not being native to the speech, since they say "yo soy" meaning... "I I am..." (the verb also carries the pronoun)... but Petrie says "mi ser" meaning... quite less grammatically correct... "my to be"... I can catch it with no more than 2 years Spanish experience (When I caught it first)

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Don't blame poor grammar usage among kids on LBT :angry:.  It's caused by MSN, instant messaging, texting (though I love it), and improper usage of slang.  While Petrie's grammar is a piece of work, Ducky's grammar is a superb, if not, unrealistic standard for even humankind to measure up to :rolleyes:.  I personally like Cera's grammar the best :D.  If I recall correctly, a member had once mentioned Cera's use of the word "dumb" as being a grammatical deficiency.  Even after taking university English courses for my degree, I can't recall there being a grammar rule on the word "dumb."  Back on topic, LBT won't cause bad grammar in kids.  In fact, 'cuz the target audience consists of young kids, it is important the vocabulary is kept simple.  I mean, would y'all want the gang speaking like physics students during a lab session :huh:?  Not me!  No sireee!

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Mar 11 2008 on  10:50 PM
Um, shouldn't this be in After Midnight or the Fridge?
I did wonder exactly where to put this topic, I was going to put it in the Fridge but then I read:
A good place to chill! General, non-LBT related discussions go in here.
This is LBT related. If someone wants to move it however I'm fine with that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think the topic is in the right place here. It is LBT related and about LBT in general rather than the original movie only. I doubt this topic to be so controversial as to justify its removal to the after midnight section.
If kids are not brought up by computer and television only and if their parents talk to them rather than just keeping them alive I seriously doubt the incorrect language used by a few LBT characters (most notably Petrie), with most characters talking just fine, would have a negative effect on the development of a kids language.
I watched LBT when I was about six years old, but I was perfectly aware at that time that Petrie was talking wrong (not that I spend much thought on it back then).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are many folks who speak incorrect grammar and that is normal for them, for a variety of reasons.  I doubt any tv show or movie effects the speaking of people much except for maybe an extra slang word or they may saw a word or phrase popular on the show or movie.

Having some folks talk a bit incorrectly and some more incorrect adds to the char's individuality and makes it more realistic.  How realistic or enjoyable would it be if everyone in LBT spoke perfect english, or whatever language it is dubbed into, after all?

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, i agree some people would not like the fact if they all spoke perfect, but it would make me saddened that petrie was not the way he was before.

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I like the way that LBT characters speak, I think it adds a certain charm to it. I agree that generally speaking, as long as people get to hear proper speech, it's okay.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ducky doesn't have perfect grammar, she uses extra 'ded's on words a lot as well as extra 'er's

This has happened for years though, with characters not speaking correctly, Mark Twain did it in Huckleberry Finn, and several other books have done it, radio has done it, movies for years, TV shows, it's nothing new. it's not a problem ;)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't think the problem (if it was a problem) would be exposure to incorrect grammar, it would be too much exposure. The average number of hours a day a child watches TV is rising, and perhaps this could be a problem.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I don't think I could sleep at night if I heard Petrie say "I". :lol I like how Ducky also says things like "scardeded" :p