The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does the iPad Mini exist?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I am having a very hard time understanding why this concept is useful. The iPad was designed to be like an iPod, but bigger, meaning it filed a niche role between an iPod and a computer, and for that it's sold really well and been really popular. But an "iPad mini" is just an iPod, but slightly bigger. If you wanted a smaller iPad, why wouldn't you just get an iPod?

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I know what you mean. I have a iPod Touch but I still wanted a tablet for other uses but I didn't get the iPad I just got the Google Nexus 7 which I have to wait till Christmas. Anway if I had a choice to get the iPad or the iPad mini, I would just go for the original iPad. But I guess a lot of people will just buy anything from Apple these days. :lol

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Funny, my dad and I had a conversation about this not too long ago.

Personally, I believe that the iPad mini shouldn't exist. Why not just buy an iPod? But, maybe for some people the iPod is a bit too small for them and they can't read the screen. However, they might want a more portable device than a full-on iPad, so, why not make it mini? More money for Apple, right?

Ah, that's just my two cents on it.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
It's a little cheaper than the RIDICULOUS price of $499 for a full sized iPad.  That, and every Apple moron under the sun will now want an iPad AND an iPad Mini.  Why?  Because of that gorgeous Apple logo on the back.  And for the stickers that come free in the box. :rolleyes: Really, 99% of the crap Apple pushes out it's a$$ is 100% useless.  The iPad does about 1/10 of what a computer can do and the usability is terrible (same with every other tablet though).  

The future is in convertibles.  I'm not talking about a tablet with a detachable screen.  I'm talking about a laptop that flips into a tablet.  One interface for each that changes depending on which mode you're in.  Microsoft got it right with Windows 8.  The implementation was TERRIBLE, but they'll straighten out eventually.  Like I said, automatically switchable modes (NOT the horrible Metro forced in your face - a blend of both and NO Metro on a desktop!) and a tablet interface that's actually decent.  And make sure the damn things talk to each other for Pete's sake!

I should restate no Metro on desktop.  There should still be an app store.  But make an interface that's mouse friendly.  Personally I don't like tablets.  I find them incredibly useless.  I have both an iPad and an ASUS Android tablet.  Both lay unused on the table in my bedroom with a thick layer of dust on each of them.  I only use them when I want to hack or otherwise screw with a messed up tablet I get in.  And to try out new custom ROM's.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've heard somewhere recently (I forget where) that Steve Jobs himself didn't think the idea of an iPad Mini was worth developing. He was more interested in entirely new products, like the so-called iTV. In his absence, I think it's becoming noticeable that the people in charge of Apple have other ideas. Some naysayers are already even saying the Apple is starting to go the way of Microsoft over the past decade; lacking innovation.

By the way, I have to agree with you, lbtlover, regarding what the ideal device in the near future should be. A laptop/tablet is certainly convenient when you want to use either, and to be capable of transferring information from one device to another (through flash drives or otherwise) would also make things very easy. I have heard that reviews for Windows 8 were rather poor, but with Windows 7 fixing the problems Vista had, I'm sure this time will be no different. (Besides, I'm not ready to ditch my laptop anytime soon, so I'll be sticking to Windows 7 for a while.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Because there are idiots out there who will actually buy it.