The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 25 2013 on  05:26 PM
No, they're special because of who they are, not because of some magical macguffin they could use. I would have to say I disagree with you 110% in every regard to the show's progression. I do not believe that they screwed the show by including Shining Armor or turning Twilight into an alicorn whatsoever. There is nothing sickening going on, aside from a few hiccups along the way like the Derpy fiasco.
I know they're still special and it's not like I like Applejack any less because she doesn't wield a little device anymore.  But Applejack is the Element of Honesty.  It's part of her character that they've built up all these years.  And now that's just gone?  I know she can still be honest, but it's just not the same.  That essential aspect of her character and the show is now gone.  Like I said, I'm fine if they can go get the Element's when they need them and use them temporarily, but the ponies are no longer Elements.  That made them stand out from the regular run of the mill ponies.  It's not like they got the Elements later down the road or something.  They got them the very first episode!  And they all shared a special connection because of the Elements.  I'm sure they'll still be friends, and the Elements don't define their friendship.  But they're no longer connected by that.  They're just "friends."  Sorry but that kinda takes an essential aspect of the show away.  And it was for no reason that we can see (yet).

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For those still thinking making Twilight Sparkle a princess was a bad idea, let me show you a comic that nicely explains why it was a good idea, especially for the situation that happened in the first two episodes of the new season.

http://jake-heritagu.deviantart.com/art/If...son-4-415735582

Yeah, I'm sure a number of you forgot HE existed. :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very funny comic.  We've not seen him since the party at the end of season 1.  He may live somewhere else then Canterlot.  Princess Celestia may have him overlooking some area away from Canterlot, just in case something like this can't happen.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
@landbeforetimelover:
I know they're still special and it's not like I like Applejack any less because she doesn't wield a little device anymore. But Applejack is the Element of Honesty. It's part of her character that they've built up all these years. And now that's just gone? I know she can still be honest, but it's just not the same. That essential aspect of her character and the show is now gone. Like I said, I'm fine if they can go get the Element's when they need them and use them temporarily, but the ponies are no longer Elements. That made them stand out from the regular run of the mill ponies. It's not like they got the Elements later down the road or something. They got them the very first episode!
I think you have it backwards.
Applejack wasn't honest because she was the Element of Honesty. She was chosen to become the Element of Honesty because it was a deeply rooted part of her character, and the same goes for the others. They're not "just friends" now and that special something isn't gone. That special something that set them apart from other ponies was always a part of them and that's why they were able to become to the Elements, not the other way around. And the grandness of their friendship was ALL them. Neither the elements of their friendship nor has any essential part of the show been removed.

And they all shared a special connection because of the Elements. I'm sure they'll still be friends, and the Elements don't define their friendship. But they're no longer connected by that. They're just "friends." Sorry but that kinda takes an essential aspect of the show away. And it was for no reason that we can see (yet).
No, they were connected before they found the Elements and became their wearers. The show has done much to reinforce that through the years. They formed this bond when they, together, stepped up to right the wrong that Nightmare Moon was doing. Return of Harmony showed us that without the strong bonds that keep these six share, the Elements are completely and utterly powerless and it is NOT the Elements that make their friendship special. Their special friendship is what empowers the Elements, not the other way around. If anything, the Elements are reliant on the integrity of their bearers.
If you feel that in order for these six poneis and their friendship to be special and set apart from others that they need a set of magical gems, then I think you've been at least partially missing the point.
And there was a reason for it to happen. Heroes have to make sacrifices for the greater good sometimes, and sometimes that means giving up what supposedly made you special to begin with.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^^Thank you, WR!  You've said it better than I could!

Anyways, one thing the fans seem to be going crazy about is that Twilight Cane that Discord made appear.

A lot of fans want one.  If any of the various toy makers out there are smart, they'll make it real.

As for my opinion on it, it is nice looking, though I'm not sure if I want one of Twilight.  Give me one with Rainbow Dash, and I might make an exception. :)

What do you all think of it?  Please give your thoughts.

That's all from me!  See ya later! :wave

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
^Yup, it's the latest trend.

These are just the laughs I need to get over the fact that Brian from Family Guy has been killed off.

I'm not kidding, go look it up.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I find it unusual that the scepter took off like that, but I guess one can never predict such things.  As well as what will suddenly take off like that.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, despite the fact that, for the first time, I watched an episode just hours after it first aired, I did not see that meme coming. I mean, let's be honest, it was intended to be nothing more than one of Discord's one-off gags, like singing Winter Wrap-Up in the shower, or being dressed as a maid, or even (my personal favorite) that sheet of paper with an animated picture of Twilight crying. :lol:

Anyway, I found out yesterday that both episodes could now be seen on the Hub's website, so I was able to take the opportunity to watch them again this afternoon, only this time I could see them in their entirety (including the intro), rather than that cut YouTube video. It seems I now have a routine I'll be following each week for every new episode. :)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nice that you have a way to see the whole episode.  What do you think of the opening to season 4?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
EPISODE 3 OF SEASON 4 HAS BEEN LEAKED!!!

The site below has the link to where you can see it early.  Do so at your own risk.

http://www.ponychan.net/chan/pony/res/36689894.html

I will watch it, but I won't say my views on it until Saturday after work.

Well, that's all for now.  See ya later!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder what resolution the video is in.  Not sure if I want to downlod it now or wait till Saturday afternoon/evening.  Either way I'll wait to watch it till The Brony Show streams it on Saturday morning.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I'm going to be a good guy and not watch it until Hasbro intends for it to be watched.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I feel the same.   I'll watch it on Saturday morning.  I assume that The Brony Show will be streaming the episode.  & I'll be downlolading the higher quality episode Saturday afternoon/evening.  Though I did go ahead and download the episode, in case I have net trouble, the brony show doesn't stream it, or something else happens, I can watch it still in that case.  

Thanks for the link.  Didn't an episode of season 3 get leaked I think?  Or was that season 2?

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I watched it. Whoops. But, I'm going to be a nice guy and not give you guys any spoilers. But, it's a great episode and you should all be looking forward. And may I just say that I TOTALLY CALLED THAT ENDING.

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
Just seen the first two episodes of season 4 and boy, it was worth the wait. Is it just me or in the second episode when the Mane 6 are in the Everfree Forest and encounter that crocodile that it is quite similar to The Land Before Time X when Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike have to cross the swamp? I apologize for spoilers.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if that was unintentional or not.  Maybe just coincidence.

Littlefoot Fan 93

• Spike
    • View Profile
I am not sure either way but it won't be too surprising if Hasbro did ship LBT in MLP: FIM just to get the brony community into a spin. After all,  look no further than Twilight's cane. OR it could be just a unintended coincidenceon tthe director's part.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Just in case anyone needs a stream to watch the new episode, here's the EQD post with a variety of sources:

Equestria Daily

The episode was leaked early, so be wary of spoilers in the comments.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I saw the episode this morning, but I'll have to see it a 2nd time to see what my real thoughts are on it.