The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Mythbusters

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I finally gave these guys a chance and I am LOVING them!

One of my most favorite out of what I've seen?  The MacGyver Tribute Episode.  They really proved his stuff wrong.  On top of that, they really showed their know-how with doing things "MacGyver" style. (Basically, use the stuff around you to pull off situations.) They really surprised those playing "bad guys" with the final thing of, instead of making a potato gun as they are required to, they made a kite. :wow

I also loved their Duct Tape Episode.  That was great! :D

MrDrake

• Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the Mythbusters, such an awesome duo they are, well, all five of them really, Jamie, Adam....and the others, I forget their names XD

But still, I rather like the show myself ^^

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I heard they did one where they tried to see if what Kirk did in that classic star trek episode where he tries to make a type of gun, would have worked or not.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I saw that episode.  Somehow, I knew what would've really happened when they tried it.

And the other three mythbusters are Tory, Grant, and Carrie.  But because Carrie's on maturnity leave, they have a sixth mythbuster in Jessie.

I love any episodes with historical military and use of military weapons (ancient "superweapons," Westerns, big guns, etc). :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've enjoyed the clips I've seen of the series.  It does look like a good and fun to watch series as well as informative.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow!  I never thought they would take on the myth that The 1969 Moon-Landing was fake, but they not only Busted the theory, they DESTROYED it!

NASA really did go to the Moon in 1969.  The Mythbusters proved it. :)

Sorry Conspirators, you're going to have to do better than that. :D

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
So, long story short, the Mythbusters proved what people with common sense have been saying all along... Eh, not the first time they've done it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Mar 2 2010 on  12:56 AM
So, long story short, the Mythbusters proved what people with common sense have been saying all along... Eh, not the first time they've done it.
Actually WR, The Myth That the 1969 Moon Landing was Faked is rather believable when you look at the "evidence" the hoax presents.  Even if you had common sense, there's a chance you would believe the lie.

I mean, think about it.

A picture that has shadows at different angles, a picture of one of the astronauts in the shadow being more visible then he should, The bogus footprint, The swaying of the American Flag, The way the astronauts move, etc.

Seriously, it sounds believable, doesn't it?

To think, the one thing that proves the hoax wrong is the Moon itself. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
How many folks are experts in the conditions that would exist on the moon.  And I'd assume telescopes are good enough to see the largest stuff left behind on the moon, parts of the lunar lander left behind and maybe the lunar buggy thing a later Apollo flight used.  Or maybe more then one.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
No, the hoax is complete bullshit, no matter how you look at it and anyone with common sense knows it. Uh, hello, the reflectors NASA shot up there that would have been, of, I don't know, reflecting the light. Like i said, anyone with common sense knew from the beginning that the "NASA faked the lunar landing" myth was bullshit. This is just something pathetic basement dwellers use to deliberately try to hold something against the govenment for the sole sake of having something to have a grudge about.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Besides, the technology at the time was about right for them to send some astronauts to the moon.

And considering how the cold war at the time was, if the moon landing was faked, don't you think the U.S.S.R. and or China would have jumped at the chance to blow the lie and show the truth and thus embarrass their hated capitalist enemy the U.S.A?  

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Exactly. There was absolutely no reason fake it and every reason to beat everyone else to the moon. Russia had already beaten us into space, period. America had to take it up to the next step before anyone else, period.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
New episodes come back next wensday!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
any list of topics they'll be covering?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, here's the latest one they covered.

Jamie and Adam tested the following myth.

If a man driving at highway speed throws a soda out the window and hits another car, right at the windshield, the soda would go right through and kill the innocent driver.

This myth is busted, but you could still die.

The soda would cause severe damage to the windshield.  The damage would be so high, you'd literally be driving blind and have a VERY high chance of causing an accident that would kill you.

So the soda would not kill you, but the inevitable crash most likely would.

As for Tory, Grant and Jamie...

They tested a great movie stunt myth.  Where the hero actually hangs on indefinitely.

This is busted.

It's all a matter of time before you let go.  In most cases, a normal ledge, with plenty of room to work with, you would only last about one minute.  The Average Joe can't hold on to a half-inch ledge.  Action Movie Stars are trained professionals.  Only their hours of training allow them to hold on to the ledge.  Even they have a limit though, but they put us Average Joe's to shame.

They also tested the Helicopter Myth in the Action Movie.

This is where the hero grabs onto the leg bar of the helicopter and climbs in as it's taking off.

Apparently, this is confirmed.

The wind resistance really doesn't cause a difference in your weight.  However, you would still struggle because of the wind itself.  It would just be hard.  Once again, Action Movie Stars prove to be trained professionals with these stunts.

Wow!  To be honest, I really did not expect the answer on the first one.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'm surprised that it was the ice that added to the mass of the soda cup.

I'm very interested in seeing the next episode tomorrow. They're going to test if someone could survive an explosion by diving underwater. I can't wait to see how that turns out. :yes

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: The Chronicler,Mar 30 2010 on  06:36 PM
Yeah, I'm surprised that it was the ice that added to the mass of the soda cup.

I'm very interested in seeing the next episode tomorrow. They're going to test if someone could survive an explosion by diving underwater. I can't wait to see how that turns out. :yes
I'll make the prediction of that one being Busted!

Though we'll have to wait and see if I'm right or not. :)

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Did you guys see the car bulletproofed by phonebooks? I'm really surprised that the car actually survived a lot of the 9mm rounds.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys, today is the YouTube Special!  Basically, it's all suggestions from YouTube.

What in the world could YouTube come up with for the Mythbusters?  Let's just see. :)