The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Venus Transit - June 5/6, 2012

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah, clouds obscured my view at first, so I've been watching a live stream on a NASA website for hours now (and still am, at this moment).

However, I decided to be prepared anyway, so I took out my binoculars with plans to project an image of the Sun onto a sheet of white cardboard I found in my closet (covering one of the lenses of the binoculars so I would have only one projection to worry about). At about 7pm EDT (about one hour after the transit began), the clouds cleared enough that I was able to successfully see the tiny disk of Venus on the face of the Sun. I showed it off to the rest of my family, including my grandparents who happened to be visiting today, and my brother made two brief videos with his smartphone. (I had asked him to take a picture, but the projection was wobbling constantly due to the fact that I was holding up my binoculars with my own hands, so he decided to make a short video instead.)

Due to the weather forecast, I was afraid I would miss the whole event, but I'm very glad the clouds cleared just long enough for me to see it before sunset. I'm going to be remembering this day for a very long time.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
At least you got to see part of it live at your backyard.  Watching it on the NASA website has been neat so far.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Actually, my set-up had been in my own bedroom because one of the windows faces to the west, where the Sun would be at that time, so I figured observing it through the window would be good enough. (I didn't want to walk away from live stream that I had up on my computer, just in case if the clouds didn't clear out in my area.)

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm glad it worked out for you.  I just watched the Nasa live stream, not sure if it was visible in my area or not.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile