The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Voting 2014

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The rules for joining the Fanfiction Awards
Voting has begun.

If you wish to vote in private, please send me a PM with your votes. Otherwise, please post your votes in this topic.

This is the voting section for the fanfiction awards. All fanfictions that have been submitted by your fellow members for voting are listed here. Please only post on this topic to submit your vote, do not ask questions or have discussions here. For questions, please click the link above and comment on the rules.

You may vote on as many fanfictions as you'd like, but you must have read them first. Please show us in your review that you've truly read the fanfiction.

Please copy the following form to vote:

Name of fanfiction: NAME HERE
Rating: #/10
Review: REVIEW HERE

The following fanfictions have been submitted for you to vote on:

Name of fanfiction: The astonishing journey to the Land of Many Wonders also known as "Ducky123's fic" on here as the name came to my mind much later.
Short summary: Life in the Great Valley is peaceful but then strange things begin to happen. Watering holes dry out, earthshakes happen daily... Then the catastrophy happens: The Great Valley gets destroyed utterly and completely. Now homeless, the survivors gather at a small oasis located at the coast of the Big Water where they meet an old enemy. The battles causes death, grief and sorrow. The kids get separated and locked in a system of caves that seem to have no escape with one of them being hurt. Their only hope is the Land of Many Wonders which is said to be as fertile as the Great Valley used to be. The perilous journey begins...
Link to fanfiction on the GoF: The astonishing journey to the Land of Many Wonders (Ducky123's fic)
Fanfiction.net (first chapters are slightly improved while I kept it unimproved on here so everybody can see my way of improvement)
Author(s): Ducky123
Any other comment: Unfinished. The story shows my way of improvement so if you don't like the beginning you might still like my writing style in later chapters

Name of fanfiction: Shorty's Dark Past
Shorty's Dark Past
Short summary: Littlefoot, Ali and Shorty and their folks are having sleepstories every night as have all Longnecks. Guided by their dreams, they travel to a mysterious place. But Shorty more and more gets haunted by things that he thought were long forgotten...
Link to fanfiction on the GoF: Shorty's Dark Past
Shorty's Dark Past
Fanfiction.net
Author(s): Ducky123
Any other comment: Unfinished as well.

Name of fanfiction: The Seven Hunters

Short summary: A fateful wish causes horrific changes to our favorite seven dinosaurs. What will they do when they are forced to leave all they know behind and live an alien lifestyle in the mysterious beyond? What will they do when the hunted become the hunters?

Link to fanfiction on the GoF: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...opic=13099.0

Author(s): Rhombus

Any other comment: None

Name of fanfiction: Friends for Dinner
Short summary:He moved out, and got a life of his own, with a mate and a son. He thought his past was behind him, but what happens when an old friend ends up on the menu?
Link to fanfiction on the GoF: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...topic=13285&hl=
Author(s): Vonboy

Name of fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
Short summary:  (LBT/Bionicle crossover fanfic) Sequel to Quest for the Energy Stones. When Littlefoot and his friends end up in the Matoran universe, they find themselves caught in the middle as old and new friends must fight many new threats to save their universe.
Link to fanfiction on the GoF: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=8547
Author(s): The Chronicler
Any other comment: Not long after last year's fanfiction awards, I unfortunately lost interest in continuing this story and decided to place it on an indefinite hiatus. I seriously doubt I'll be making any further progress anytime soon, so I'm considering this a final opportunity for me to get some feedback on the first fanfiction series I ever wrote.

Name of fanfiction: Descendants of The Mountains
Short summary: Two lost families,one ancient herd. Two children's lives are turned upside down by an old legend that couldn't be any more true. Why them? They both must give up what they always known and try and mend something broken in the past.However as they say-things are easier said then done.
Link to fanfiction on the GoF: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...opic=13449.0
Author(s): Nahla/EquiTalesse same person,different site names.
Any other comment: I'm mainly entering this to see what kind of feedback I would get,I haven't really been writing for long and this is what I consider my bestwork so far. There is also a copy of it on fanfiction.net without out all the inbetween posts if people would prefer to read it there here

Name of fanfiction: Venatione Venatus
Short summary: A mysterious pair of sharpteeth abduct Chomper from the Valley, leading him to soon discover that a full-scale war between factions of extremist leaf-eaters and megalomaniacal sharpteeth is on the verge of breaking out.
Link to fanfiction of the GoF: http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=11730
Author: Dosu2Dinner

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Name of fanfiction: The astonishing journey to the Land of Many Wonders
Rating: 7.5/10
Review: This story was Ducky's first work of fanfiction and it clearly shows his improvement as an author.  The story is an engaging alternative version of the original story.  Although the gang meets under different circumstances, and they face different threats along the way, the gang still forms the same friendships through their common struggle.  Despite the fact that the early chapters suffer from some odd word choices that can remove the reader from the story, the author's use of English greatly improves at the story proceeds.  Ducky also captures the personalities and temperament of the characters quite well, which makes the reader want to see how the gang will react next to what fate has thrown at them.  

Rating: 9.5/10
Review: Ducky's second story is an amazing retelling of the reunion of Bron and Littlefoot during the solar eclipse with a twist - the inclusion of Ali.  However, as I soon found out upon reading this story, this was only one small part of the story.  As it develops we begin to see a noticeably darker Shorty, who is still haunted by past abuse and neglect.  Ducky masterfully writes a chilling look into the inner workings of a damaged mind and the inner turmoil that leads to violence.  It is a delicate task to write a character so conflicted and damaged that you simultaneously want them to be punished and redeemed and the author has succeeded at that task thus far.  He has written an alternative view of Shorty that could very well become my personal head-canon as far as I am concerned.

Rating: 8.5/10
Review: I always thought that there were too few stories out there exploring the Littlefoot-Chomper relationship after both of them enter into adulthood, so it is nice to see another story exploring that concept.  The inclusions of Chomper's son and a friendship between him and an herbivore are a welcome twists to the formula.  Although this story has just started, I find myself looking forward to seeing how it develops in the future.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Rating: 9/10
Review: A very interesting story,with a dark but exciting plot. The gang turning into the creatures they thought as enemies for their whole lives so far. The chapters can sometimes be annoyingly long but each chapter is packed full of action you realize that it *needs* to be that long. The name changing can be a bit confusing when say Littlefoot is called by his leaf eater name one line and in the very next line he is called his fastbiter name. Great detail,great plot and great detail regarding characters emotions. It really shows why fastbiters do what they do,they kill to survive and leafeaters call them heartless monsters when they do so. I give this fic 9/10,only little thing stopping me from giving it the full 10/10 is the fact it is incomplete.

Review: Great plot idea,a full story focusing on Shorty and why he is the way he is,sometimes it can be a bit extreme but it's all fine,it doesn't go super overboard. I love the interactions between the characters and Littlefoot's struggles with Bron being his father. My problem with this fiction is the scene jumping,some scenes seem really rushed when there was a chance for much more detail and action. Scenes being in one block instead of spaces when a different character speaks or does an action can get confusing,but that's just Duck123's style and it's not a problem,just gets  a bit confusing. I've seen Ducky's first works and he has greatly improved so fast,he is getting better at not only chapter length and quality but also his english and grammar. I give this story a 7.5/10,could not decide if to give a 7/10 or 8/10 so I'll give him a 'in the middle' rating. I look forward to not only seeing this story continuing but Ducky improving even more as an author.

Name of fanfiction: Descendants of The Mountains
Rating: 8/10
Review: This story is really interesting,the gang all appear in this as well as a longneck OC family. One of the OC's a lovely tomboyish like girl is a real laugh,she is a longneck version of Cera. Littlefoot and this OC find out the truth about their family and have to go travel to the 'Umoja Mountains' which of course is a fan made place created by the author to find the 'accident longneck herd'. They have to dump everything they always known and travel to a foreign place to see if the legend is really true. The rest of the gang quickly follow after them,however two longnecks have an eye on them-'they will effect them' (referring to Littlefoot and the OC). Lame summary but the plot is so detailed it'll be hard for me to explain. As a sideplot there is some ShortyxOC romance,which I find so adorable. I know CanonxOC parings ain't really popular for some,but I find them adorable if the OC suits the movie character. Since this story is not finished I can't really judge it.but I can see how much Nahla tries,she tries to make a mix of both random and serious moments. I've seen Nahla's other fanfiction and not just LBT. And I can barely believe it's the same writer. I give this 8/10 for a plot no one has tried before,interesting OC and a great improvement of writing skills,we all start somewhere and Nahla is really improving,there are typos but hey,we all have those little slip ups.-Nahla,you show em girl.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Nearly forgot to do this..anyway

Rating: 7/10
Review: This plot is interesting though sometimes dark-I love it. It's pretty much Ducky's take on Shorty's past,and now it does seem pretty AU but thats fine,AU style fics are one of my faves,because we all know what happens in the movies-don't we? Shorty does seem pretty evil at sometimes,but theres always a reason..even if that reason exists only in Shorty's mind. I love how Ali is there..and Littlefoot too of course. The writing style isn't really what I prefer,but it's readable when you realize it's a new scene all together. There are typos,but hey Ducky123 is human,not a spellchecker robot. I look forward to seeing this improve..and not only the story but it's author too.

Review: Well,what can I say about this one.
The plot is something I have never seen before..besides a RP on here..but thats besides the point,as I know the fic was based on the RP..or is the RP based on the fic? I don't even know...Anyway,it really gives some light on the life of a meateater in the LBT world,do they really kill just to kill or do they kill to survive? It shows the struggles of the now predator gang as they try and accept their change from prey to predator and the fact they must leave their old life,home and families behind. Then in an interesting turn of events Bron,Doc and Shorty arrive on the scene,I won't really spoil it for those who haven't read it,but be prepared for emotion and action. This story is uncompleted so i can't give a full review,but from what I seen so far it's worth a 9/10.

Those are the only two I really read so yeah,I can't give a fair reveiw and rating on the others.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rating: 10/10
Review: With much of my attention not on this site anymore, the fact that this is the only LBT fanfic I've been reading this year would already be significant enough to show how much I like this story, but there's more to it than that. Taking a group of herbivores (children at that!) and forcing them to live as carnivores is a very interesting concept that I've rarely, if ever, seen before. This story has an incredible level of detail that makes just about every piece of the gang's new lives seem very realistic, from literally relearning how to walk in their first moments in their new bodies, to figuring out the ways a pack should deal with outsiders, and even the references to sex/mating without being too explicit for this site. Basically, a level of realism far beyond what you would ever see in the show, and I like that a lot. This is one fanfic I definitely intend to keep following until it is finished.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Review:

...Hoh boy...where do I began...

When this story was first posted, I'll have to admit that I was rather unsure whether or not I actually wanted to read it to the end, because...well, I guess I felt at the time that my mind wouldn't take the concept of our beloved gang turning into sharpteeth. Which I guess was understandable, because, while an interesting concept, it was something that very rarely occurred in LBT fanfiction, if at all.

If I had chosen not to read it until now, that would've been a decision that I would've regretted. My mind is not only able to take the story well, but it also amazes it to the same degree. While Ducky123 is credited for the original idea of the gang turning into sharpteeth (in a RP that I am currently involved in), it was this author who was able to turn it around and make it into an extremely complex plot for a story.

With that out of the way, let's see what this story contains. Hmm...actually, I'm afraid there's not much. Just a lot of emotion, action, suspense, death, revenge, realism...okay, I stand corrected. There is a LOT going on in this story. The realism featured in it is far beyond what one would see in the sequels and especially the TV show. Not to mention, the return of many characters in this story, notably Bron, Doc, Shorty, and Ali, but also appearances from the likes of Guido, Pterano, the rainbowfaces from movie 7, and others (heh heh, actually I might've listed them all by now...), make a huge impact within the story, as well as the new OCs featured here.

The author also introspects deeply into life in the Mysterious Beyond throughout, which I greatly appreciate. The death amount is shocking (and for those wondering who die...just read this story if you haven't already), and often the story is ridiculed with cliffhangers. I far too often read chapters here that end with a cliffhanger, in which case my initial reaction is, "Really? I have to wait five more days for another chapter?! Great..." Five days pass, however, and in the process, I had done other things to take my mind off of waiting, so when the next chapter does come, it excites me more and more, which clearly shows how thrilling this story can be.

From the start, the author claims that his past writings were only brief ficlets and character pieces of less than 1,000 words. I will have to agree that those were probably things to put in a recycle bin compared to this. This story is, amazingly, on the verge of reaching 500,000 words by its conclusion. Speaking of conclusion...there is none yet as I type this, which is why I only give this story a 9/10, even though it deserves a 10/10.

With that said, I look forward to seeing the eventual conclusion of this incredible story. Heck, I might even consider doing an audiofic of it some time after it's finished. Then again, I might not, but I guess you never know...

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just a little update so that you guys know I've counted every vote above this post :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review:
Well, where to start? The idea of the Gang turning into Sharpteeth is not something the area of LBT fanfiction has never seen before but it has never seen SUCH a story. rhombus' writing style is better than anything I've read in two years of reading LBT fanfictions and, even though I'm hardly ever reading books in english language, I'm pretty sure that he'd outmatch the writing style of quite some authors out there.

He is not only able to create interesting plot twists and exciting cliffhangers but also to create characters that the reader can relate to who are very believable in their actions and communication as well as well thought about and given a role they have to play. Same applies to characters we already know. Even though some characters change considerably (sometimes to the point where their personality is the very opposite of what we're used to), rhombus always shows the reader why the character acts the way he/she does.

I also like the camo appearances of many familiar characters and many of them even got a considerable role to play.

From the first chapter on, there are always several side stories that are always in some way connected to the main action. On top of that, there is a high complexity in his scenes and they are always thought about very well.

rhombus' writing style is just lovely. I have never spotted a single thing he could have done better in that regard (occasional typos happen to anybody, don't they? ;)) and I have not only adapted quite a few wordings he frequently uses in my own work but also learned a lot as for how to compose a scene and how to get the right mixture of the different emotions that a story should convey. So to say, I have certainly learned from him and for that I'm very grateful.
The frequent use of dreams, flashbacks and monologue (aka. thinking) is really very outstanding and he knows how to evaluate the right proportions of dialogue and descriptive writing, the former always believable and flowing naturally and the latter always very detailed without being too descriptive.

Like I said, the composition of his scenes and chapters is really proffessional in my opinion. Moreover, he just knows how to mix the emotions his work generates in the readers. There is a lot of action and emotion, happiness and sorrow often replacing each other, carefree joking and teasing often turning into sterness. There are not seldom dramatic scenes but somehow it's always ending for the better of the Seven Hunters... yet :p Of course, some hints at romance are never misplaced in a story. :smile

I just love how he is capable of making me crack up in laughter and feel really depressed (for I feel for the characters) in a matter of minutes. That is something I have hardly ever experienced while reading a book/fanfiction etc.

I don't think there is any doubt that this story is the best fanfiction that is currently in progress and, with all honesty, I must confess that this is the best fanfiction I have read so far.

Keep up the incredibly amazing work, will ya? :p

My other votes will follow soon :yes
Inactive, probably forever.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Name: The astonishing journey to the Land of Many Wonders
Review: A very interesting re-styling of the original Land Before Time, with closer and more panoramic looks at all the characters and their lives. Containing many different viewpoints and a lot of emotional upheaval, certainly worth looking into!

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Review:

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD!!!

THat was all that I could say when I read a particular chapter from his fanfiction, when Littlefoot killed another dinosaur for the very first time. It really sums up my feeling about this fanfiction quite well.

Rhombus has taken the Gang that we know and love so much, and forced them to be sharpteeth. to live a life that truly horrifiies them. To become something that they used to fear. Along the way, the gang so much about the particulars of sharptooth life, from how to hunt, to how to deal with rival sharpteeth, to things like how a pack stays together, and how to deal with what you are. The writer is so decriptive in these cercimstances, that readers actually learn a thing or two about animals in the wild.

This story was partly inspired by Sharptooth Valley by Brekclub, but it greatly surpasses it in my mind. That story just didn't have the emotion that this one has. It didn't have the sharptooth gang know anything about their alternate lives as leaf eaters, which really took a lot away from the story.

He also packs so much emotion into this story, and includes many mature subjects, like including instances of rape recently in the story. That's a very taboo sucject that most writers won't touch with a hundred foot pole, but Rhombus did, and handled it in a very mature and respectful way. The writer has rated his sotry as being Mature, but it's helped by it, not hindered by it. You really feel for these characters, and can understand what their going through. Even when they do something deplorable, you see the reason behind it, what they've been through to make them make these decisions. (Well, except for one character, but I won't spoil him. :p)

With every chapter I read, it leaves me wanting even more. That's a sign that this writer knows what's he's doing. If every cliffhanger at the end of every chapter leaves the reader on the edge of their seats, that speaks volumes for how engrossing and casptivating it is.

This is the best fanfiction I've read on these forums. There's some much older fanfics on here that other people adore as classics, but I've sadly still not been able to read them. I haven't read ones such as the BOSE ones, Far Away Home, Twilight Valley, or that movie script one about the catastrofic storm(I forget the name of that one right now). Still, this is the best one that I HAVE read.

Name of fanfiction: Venatione Venatus
Rating: 8/10
Review:

This is also a very good, ongoing story that I have been kind of following. I didn't really know what I was in for in the beginning, but it really opened up for me. Having Chomper first come to terms with being a sharptooth while being forced into a juvinile pack of other sharpteeth, and then bringing in an epic over-arching story line about two big forces that wants the other wiped off the earth was a shock.

The Writer here introduces a lot of characters into this story. He gives them all their own back stories, and everything. For some odd reason, though, I'm just not into a lot of his OC's. IT might be that there's so many of them, and they keep getting mixed up in my head, but I don't get the same kick in the gut feeling other readers do when he kills one of them off. (He does this A LOT, if you didn't know that. :p)

Even though, I've very much into the overall storyline, even if I'm not into some of the particulars. The impending clash of these two massive forces, and the drama that this is creating, with both sides doing despicable acts, and trying to gain the upper hand, have me very interested. You could say this is a mixed bag for me, but I feel this story still deserves a 8, just because  the overall story is so good. Even if I don't care about some of the OC's, I still wanna see where this story is heading.

That's a blob of words I've been hiding, not wanting to say out of some sort of fear of dissapointing the writer, but Dosu2Dinner really deserves to know it. I hope he understands.

I might review some more later today. I'll just have to see.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Review: This story is still very short but there's already quite some conflict and many secrets that need to be discovered yet. The story is an attempt of the author to adapt to a new writing style as opposed to his script-like style he uses in PAST-O-RAMA and I think that vonboy has done a good job so far.
I'm not sure where exactly this story is going to lead but I'm pretty sure I have a good guess already. The plot is not unheard of, Chomper and Littlefoot somehow meeting up when they're grown-ups,  but of course it's all original ;)
I'll rate this 7/10 for I like the story so far. It doesn't reach the quality of the really good stories yet but things change, right? Looking forward to see which direction von is gonna choose.

Name of fanfiction: Descendants of the mountains
Review: Nahla has written a pretty neat story here. I do see a lot of improvement compared to her earlier stuff. The characters are better developed, the story is planned out much better and the writing style has changed for the better as well. The idea of Littlefoot belonging to an ancient family/tribe is something I've not seen in fanfiction yet. I like how the two main characters, Littlefoot and Nahla, get to know, having to get over their shyness and their difference in personality. Though sometimes the random scenes take over a little (which I usually can't complain about since they're usually quite humorous :smile), she manages to make use of different emotions and writing forms.
I really wonder how the two will do now that they're reunited with the tribe. :yes

Name of fanfiction: Venatione Venatus (VV)
Review: Rating it one point lower than last year doesn't mean the story has become any worse. I only consider rhombus' story slightly better... and I can't rate that 11/10 :p
Anyway, my opinion about this story hasn't really changed since last year's voting. Dosu's writing style is awesome and the story is utterly unique and exciting. Well, developed characters, emotion, action; Dosu got it all covered ;)
Just waiting for the next chapter, really. Wonder how the battle turns out and who dies :o
Inactive, probably forever.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Votes have been counted and I'm ready to hand you your banners, but sadly it is impossible for me to make them right now. If any of you would be so kind as to post pictures here that would be suitable to turn into banners that have not been used on other awards previously, I'll try to do my best to get the banners up over the weekend so you can choose from them. I'll need at least 3 different designs. Thanks!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I am unsure how suitable some of these screenshots will be.  I know that a few of them will have to be flipped so that the character is on the left side and of course they will all have to be cropped and resized.  But to my knowledge, these have not been used before:

Ruby:

Thud:

Chomper and others (in order to make it banner-worthy probably everyone else but Chomper should be cropped out):

Ruby looking over the valley:

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.