The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Who are your comfort characters in media?

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
I have long been fascinated by the concept of the Comfort Character. Urban Dictionary defines the term as such:

"A comfort character is when a character, which can be from a TV show, game, book etc makes you feel safe and happy when upset, sad, down etc."

And being that I have been through some pretty tough things in my lifetime, I've had a fair few comfort characters in my lifetime. So I decided to make a thread for us to discuss those characters that help us feel happy and comfy whenever we need it.

I've had a fair few comfort characters. Devin and Stephanie (Total Drama), Zeena (Sonic Lost World), Keira (Jak and Daxter), hell even Tricia (The Land Before Time) qualifies to an extent, even though I got back into Land Before Time fairly recently. I mean, kinda hard to feel sad when looking at that cute little threehorn, right? :DD

But obviously the main example for me is Caitlin Cooke from 6teen. More than any other character, thinking about her helps me a ton, even when I'm REALLY bummed. When I'm down on my luck, I love thinking about her going on all sorts of adventures, sharing love with her friends, being her cute self, interacting with other characters from media (including our own Ducky and Petrie :duckyhappy :)petrie ), and sometimes I even like to imagine what things would be like if I had her as a real friend. It can be a little cringy at times, yes, but hey, it makes me happy. And in the tough times I've been through recently, I really value that about Caitlin. That's why so much of what I do as a content creator (IE my fics and my edits) centers on her. And to a lesser extent, Jen qualifies as a comfort character for me too. So you can guess why the Jen x Caitlin (Jenlin) ship is so comforting to me :spikeblush

I'm rambling now lol :PAli That's enough from me. I'd like to hear your point of view on this subject. Which fictional characters bring you the most happiness and comfort? Let me know! :)littlefoot
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
One of my comfort characters is Yoshi from the Super Mario Bros. His happy and sweet demeanor raises my spirits, especially in times such as these. Yoshi has been part of my life for so long, he’s more than a pal, he’s truly a comfort.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 07:04:18 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Nothing can go wrong as long as I’m with Bonkers!  He’s zany, but he’s a police cop, so that counts as safe to me!

For real though, it’s Scat from Dink the Dinosaur.  I haven’t really watched it in awhile, but I do remember from my knowledge of the show that even though he’s very small, he’s actually a good comfort character.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never really considered such a concept, but if I had to pick one character that would fit such a definition for me, it would probably be Benny from The Lego Movie. I've always been fascinated with astronomy and space travel, so he fits into one of my favorite settings. Plus, his excitable obsession with spaceships always gets a good laugh out of me.

SPACESHIP!!!

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

HotelValleyfornia

• Shark took my leg, brah!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • All aboard the Hyperfixation Express!
    • View Profile
I have just discovered...or rather remembered...a new comfort character. I have recently gotten back into Detentionaire and dear sweet Sharptooth, Tina Kwee is one of the most adorable characters I have ever seen in a piece of media. She's so sweet, easy to feel sorry for, and I just wanna give her the biggest hug because she just melts my heart so, SO much. I love her to absolute pieces and I just can't stop smiling when she's onscreen. :wub :wub :wub
Current hyperfixation: Total Drama

Yacht life! :DD

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
Mine are the Yellow Bellies for sure. :PLoofah Their silly, sweet, and fun personality warms up my heart like no one else in the franchise. I really wish I could hang out with them. The Backyardigans have also recently given me a lot of comfort.