The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW POST!

I will admit that this was an episode I was avoiding for most of the day.  I just had this bad feeling about it.  Like, I knew it was going to be one of the weaker episodes.  However, despite that being the case, I'm at least a little glad I took the time to sit down and watch it via YouTube.

As with her being my absolute favorite character in the show, I have a very high opinion of Rainbow Dash.  As such, I almost felt she was being a little too frantic for her character with her reaction to Tank hibernating.  However, at the same time, I can't help but understand her reason for the freaking out like she did.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rainbow actually became attached to Tank in the time she's had him.  People can become attached to their pets so much that they accept them as a sibling.  This might have been the case for Rainbow Dash.  She probably thinks of him as a brother.  It would help in making her reaction make sense.

That being said, I still feel that, even for her character, she overreacted.  It just really felt like the writers didn't take the correct path with her character.

I did like how we got to see how making winter works for their world.  Not to mention the whole "Open Sky and Clear Sky" joke felt like something out of the good days of Family Guy. :spit

However, what surprised me most was not just Fluttershy saying what needed to be said for Rainbow to get over it, but also saying it in the most harsh way possible.  Seriously Fluttershy, you surprise me yet again.  I had to pause the video to take in the fact of what she actually said there.  The scene of Rainbow Dash breaking down like that would've been heartbreakingly great, if it just wasn't ruined by Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

Overall, not a terrible episode, but not a good one either.  I can at least say it ended on a good note.

Maybe the next one will be better?  Let's see...  next week is the Cutie Mark Crusaders trying to catch an outlaw in Appleloosa.  Gee, what could possibly go wrong with that? :D

Yeah, I'm not expecting much from that. :)

Well, see ya later! :wave

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
For anybody who's ever had a turtle(tortoise) I was wondering, instead of having Tank sleep underground for the winter, couldn't Rainbow Dash have just gotten a tank(no pun intended) with a big enough light to keep him warm through the winter? That way, Tank could still hibernate but RD wouldn't have to say goodbye to him for awhile. I've never had a reptile for a pet so I'm not really sure how it works.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Animeboye,Apr 26 2015 on  01:42 AM
For anybody who's ever had a turtle(tortoise) I was wondering, instead of having Tank sleep underground for the winter, couldn't Rainbow Dash have just gotten a tank(no pun intended) with a big enough light to keep him warm through the winter? That way, Tank could still hibernate but RD wouldn't have to say goodbye to him for awhile. I've never had a reptile for a pet so I'm not really sure how it works.
Don't forget that she wanted to do some winter activities with Tank.  She wanted to have fun with him, not have him laze about in front of a fireplace drinking hot cocoa the whole winter.  While your idea would've kept him from "turning off" for the winter, it would've only made him stuck in one place the whole time, which was not what Rainbow wanted.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well I do understand that but what I meant was after Dashie had accepted that Tank needed to hibernate. Perhaps Fluttershy could have given her something to keep Tank in so that Tank could still hibernate and RD wouldn't have to let him go for awhile.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And thanks to one little line from Twilight during the episode, this image happened.

Only now do I get the reference.  Then again, the whole reason why I didn't get it was because I never watch the show it is based off of.  Someone had to tell me, sadly. -_-

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Well, this episode may very well be the closest thing the show deals with the demise of a loved one, even if Tank wasn't dying, RD acted quite a lot as if he were on his last toes, even passing through the 5 stages of grief. While this concept was carried decently, I agree with everyone that Rainbow's method of trying to stop winter was utterly reckless and destructive, not to mention she got away with it. But given the show's strong continuity and the fact it constantly references past episodes, there's some likelihood that in a future episode we may see a small nod to Rainbow's sabotage in the form of any major authority of the factory berating her for what she did, or something similar. But yeah, it's overall a heartwarming, if rather saddening, episode.
Also, epic Game of Thrones reference is epic :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Overall I did enjoy it.  Except for her getting off scott free, though some other characters have gotten off scott free for what they did or a very minor thing happen to them, so it's nothing new.  

I do agree that this is likely the closest to a pet dieing.  but also was about some animals hibernate, including maybe some pets. Not sure if some pets do or not.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LIVE STREAM POST!

Sorry about not posting the "what's new and hot" post yesterday.  I was rather tired and had little energy.  After that, yesterday was just a bad day for me, all things considered. :(

That being said, let's begin today's post. :)

Episode 6 - Appleloosa's Most Wanted
Episode 6 - Appleloosa's Most Wanted

Summary:  Outlaw Troubleshoes Clyde is terrorizing the Appleloosa Rodeo and the Cutie Mark Crusaders plan to bring him to justice, hoping to get their cutie marks.

Time for some Old West fun!  Yeehah!  :D

I'll hopefully give my review of it later tonight.

See ya later! :wave

EDIT: Forgot the link there! :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I enjoyed it. I'd have to watch it another time or 2 to get a full personal review.  It was obvious to me early on that what'shisname was meant to be a rodeo clown.  But I still enjoyed it.  It was nice to see Appleloosa again.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Another good episode. I was not surprised at all that the CMC decided to sneak out to find that outlaw. However, it was only when we actually saw the face of Troubleshoes about halfway through the episode that I realized he wasn't an outlaw but rather just an unlucky klutz. On that note, it seems the old superstition of an upside-down horseshoe being bad luck finally got referenced in this show (after more than four seasons of pony).

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Troubleshoes vs Eeyore in the ultimate emo off! Place your bets!

This was a pretty entertaining episode. It was kind of obvious that Troubleshoes wasn't really an outlaw and I liked how even though he was pretty mopey, he was still sympathetic. I actually forgot the superstition about upside down horseshoes so at first the meaning behind Troubleshoes' Cutie Mark didn't make much sense to me.

Like others have said, it was nice to see Appleloosa again and it was cool that Braeburn finally got some lines after almost four seasons. I just wish we could have gotten to see some one on one time with him and Apple Bloom. It's sometimes hard to believe that their cousins since they've pretty much never interacted with each other.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW POST!

Now this was a good episode.  Troubleshoes was indeed quite the klutz and it explains why everyone thought he was some criminal who just messes up rodeos so badly that they need to be cancelled.  I liked how they used this whole thing of bad luck in such a creative way.  In the end, he was able to take his bad luck and make a career out of it.

Troubleshoes was also quite a good character.  He may have been a bit emo, but in an Eeyore sort of way.  He was also sympathetic, which gave him more of a personality I would come to expect from someone that feels they are suffering from bad luck.

Oh, and one other thing I'll point out is Sweetie Belle, who we see has improved with her magic.  We got sparks of magic when Babs Seed was around.  The episode "Twilight Time" had her having trouble levitating things.  Now we see her having little trouble with the simplest tasks.  She's definitely come a long way.  I can only see her getting better at this point.  Now all we have to do is see Scootaloo actually fly outside of a dream.

Now, final thing I'll point out...

Applebloom: How can it get any worse.

*Cliff breaks and they fall in mud.*

Me: *facepalm* When will anyone in cartoons learn not to say that!?

Still, overall, a good episode and I very much enjoyed it.

Now, I will note that we now get a bit of a break as there is no new episode next week.  Instead, they are showing some G1 and G3 stuff.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/05/no-n...xt-weekend.html

I won't be seeing it, but just for those that want to.

See ya all next week! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
LIVE STREAM POST!

So, we are now back on track with a brand new episode today!  It features Fluttershy, The Grand Galloping Gala, Discord and THE SMOOZE!

Summary: After finding out that Fluttershy is taking a new friend to the Grand Galloping Gala instead of him, Discord goes to extreme lengths to show that it doesn't bother him.

Read the spoiler below if you want, but it's your decision.

Troll who got to see a leak revealed that the Mane 6 get to choose a pony to take to the gala with them and Fluttershy chose to take a "hippie pony" as he called it.  Plus The SMOOZE was invited by Discord.

We'll see how this goes.  Here's the link to the Live Streams below.

Make New Friends but Keep Discord Episode Streams

I'll give my review later tonight.

Enjoy and I'll see ya later!

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
With Discord around, you can always expect to see a ton of funny moments and gags, and this episode was no exception. :lol  That aside, I like that the Smooze was introduced as not a villain but rather as a rather easy-going creature, once you get to know it. We also got to see the return of Maud Pie, who apparently enjoys comedy.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
REVIEW POST!!

First off, let me start by saying that I can see why some of the G1 fans may not like this episode.  From my research, back then, THE SMOOZE was one of the most powerful villains of the franchise. (He literally shrugged off the equivalent of The Elements of Harmony back then.) Instead, for today's episode, he was made into an easy going character whom becomes bigger by eating jewels.  He is still a viable threat though. (He was able to block Celestia's magic after all.) However, he is not a bad guy.  He wanted to have a good time at the party and Discord wasn't offering that.  It's no wonder he caused trouble.

Anyways, I pretty much stayed away from the G1 episodes back then. (The art style alone still makes me do so these days.) So I really don't care that THE SMOOZE was downgraded.  He was still an enjoyable character and I really liked the episode in the end.

Discord was quite enjoyable.  His jealous fit over simply not being Fluttershy's date for the Gala was quite entertaining.  Then came all of the chaos he caused at the Gala without even trying. (THE SMOOZE did most of the work, after all.) Then came the bad puns with Maud saying one of the best lines in the episode.

Maud: You are the most basic of jokes.

My jaw dropped and I couldn't help but smile at that.  Then came a great chaotic seen, followed by Discord opening a dimension I wish I could unsee.  Fluttershy then has Discord learn the lesson of the episode and he sets everything right and apologizes to Fluttershy's friend.

It then ends with Pinkie Pie dancing with THE SMOOZE and fans questioning Celestia at the end.

Overall, an enjoyable episode and one I probably won't forget anytime soon.

Next episode, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie dispute on what problem they were sent to fix.  We'll see how that one goes.

See ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, I have been digging information about the upcoming 100th episode.  Turns out, while the mane six are dealing with a monster, Ponyville is preparing for a wedding.

Here's a picture of the two that are getting married in the 100th episode.

It's Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda.  Haven't seen those two in a while. :D

I wonder why Pinkie is dealing with a monster than being at this wedding?  You'd think that the friend whom got them together in the first place (Albeit unintentionally.) would be there over that.

Oh well, I'm sure she'll be forgiven.

It is also rumored that a number of well known side cameos will be making appearances.  Who do you guys think will appear if said rumor turns out to be true? :)

Dino-Mario

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Finally got a chance to watch those two episodes. Appleloosa's most wanted is decent, it's got a lot of funny jokes and cute moments and Troubleshoes is a rather sweet character. He's got a neat design (Clydesdales FTW) and I can kinda relate to him, I can be quite a klutz for a good deal of time
As for Make New Friends But Keep Discord, it's got to be a really amusing chapter. Discord was totally spot-on and his references are epic too. Loved his failed comedy scene. Oh, and Tree Huger the hippie pony sure is hilarious, hope to see her come back, and we all loved Maud's return here too. Regarding this take on the Smooze, well, it kinda feels like a tiny-sized, cute and friendly Hedorah, as long as it doesn't get out of control.
Anyway. can't wait till Saturday to see what the Griffin Kingdom looks like!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Time for another "What's New and Hot" Post!

With Maud Pie returning, she was starting to climb the ranks, but Tree Hugger won out in the end.  Yep!  Hippie Jokes aplenty!

Discord was still holding strong, along with THE SMOOZE and we got a new pairing in the form of...

Fluttershy&Tree Hugger! <_< Nice!

Anyways...

Here are the marathons leading up to tomorrow's episode.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2015/05/mara...ding-up-to.html

Why do they put Sonic Boom SO early?  It's like they WANTED it to fail. :(

Due to work, the only thing I'll be able to catch is Pokemon, it looks like.  Might be interesting to see it when it airs for once.

Well, I've got work!  See ya later! :wave